Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland (7881 Views)

Roberto Mancini Sacked By Manchester City / Roberto Di Matteo Sacked / Rafa Benitez Sacked By Inter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by chimerase2: 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2013
Paolo Di Canio: Sunderland sack head coach after 13 games
Sunderland have sacked head coach Paolo Di Canio with the Black Cats bottom of the Premier League table.

The 45-year-old Italian has won three of his 13 matches since being appointed in March and taken only one point from five league games this campaign.

Sunderland said they will decide on Di Canio's successor in "due course".

Coach Kevin Ball will take temporary charge of the team, with ex-Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo an early favourite for the job.

Di Canio's journey
•Born in Rome, 9 July 1968
•Played in Italy for Lazio, Juventus, Napoli, AC Milan, Cisco Roma
•Played in Britain for Celtic, Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham and Charlton
•Fined £10,000 in 1998 by the FA for pushing referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being sent off against Arsenal
•Wins Fifa Fair Play award for sportsmanship in 2001 for catching ball and stopping play v Everton to allow injured keeper Paul Gerrard to receive treatment
•Criticised in 2005 for making fascist-style salute in Lazio game
•Appointed Swindon boss in May 2011; guides them into League One a year later
•Resigns as Swindon boss in February 2013 citing issues with the club's hierarchy after sale of star player Matt Ritchie
•Replaces Martin O'Neill as Sunderland boss in March 2013; club avoid relegation
•Sacked after four defeats in five league games of 2013-14

Former Brighton manager Gus Poyet is also believed to be a contender but he has refused to comment on reports linking him to the post.

Di Canio's dismissal leaves Sunderland looking for their sixth permanent manager in less than five years.

The Italian's backroom team of first-team coach Fabrizio Piccareta, goalkeeping coach Domenico Doardo, fitness coach Claudio Donatelli and physio Giulio Viscardi will also leave the Stadium of Light outfit.

Sunderland's statement added: "The club would like to place on record its thanks to Paolo and his staff and wishes them well for the future."

Senior professional development coach Ball's opening duty as caretaker boss is to prepare the side for Tuesday's home Capital One Cup third-round match against Peterborough United at the Stadium of Light.

Sunderland then host Liverpool on Sunday and Manchester United on 5 October, with the Wear-Tyne derby against Newcastle on 27 October.

Di Canio started out as a player in Italy and was a forward for Lazio, Juventus, Napoli and AC Milan before a move to Scottish giants Celtic.

He had spells in the Premier League with Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham United and Charlton Athletic before returning to Lazio and finishing his playing career at Cisco Roma.

The Italian began his managerial career when he took over as Swindon boss in May 2011 and guided the club to promotion from League Two in 2012 before resigning in February 2013.

Di Canio then succeeded Martin O'Neill at the Stadium of Light on 31 March and signed a two-and-half-year deal, although he later admitted he feared the sack in the immediate controversy over his arrival.

Embarking upon his first Premier League job, Di Canio had to fend off questions about whether he held fascist beliefs.

He was backed by Sunderland chairman Ellis Short and endeared himself to the fans with a 3-0 victory at Newcastle in his second game as boss.

But Di Canio's men were thrashed 6-1 by Aston Villa and failed to win their final three fixtures, finishing only one place above the relegation zone.

This season started with a home loss to Fulham before the Black Cats drew at Southampton and conceded nine goals in defeats against Crystal Palace, Arsenal and, most recently, West Brom.

Play mediaMOTD3 pundits reflect on Paolo Di Canio's sacking at Sunderland
After the 3-0 loss at The Hawthorns on Saturday, Di Canio walked over to face the travelling supporters, who made their feelings clear.

"I absorb the insults as it's part of the game - if I was in their position I'd be furious," he said. "But I'm professional: 24 hours a day I work for this cause. One day their reaction will be a different reaction.

"I knew that they were furious. I went to them because I wanted to see their faces. It's easy to go over when they're clapping or singing your name. I'm responsible but my head is up. I won't give up.

"It's obvious we're still not together. We don't have many leaders in terms of desire to play with a premier style.

"I'm never going to change my regime. I am what I am. My way to manage the team is for the top, top level. I have to be clear to everyone - the board, the chairman, the fans - I'm never going to change.

"One day, if I receive the full support from the players, we will turn the corner."

Di Canio publicly criticised some of his squad at the end of last season and worked with director of football Roberto De Fanti and chief scout Valentino Angeloni to sign 14 new players in the summer.

His buys cost £19m in total and included AZ Alkmaar striker Jozy Altidore, Italy international Emanuele Giaccherini and Arsenal goalkeeper Vito Mannone.

But left-back Danny Rose returned to Tottenham following a loan spell, while Sunderland sold goalkeeper Simon Mignolet to Liverpool and, on transfer deadline day, attacking midfielder Stephane Sessegnon to West Brom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24199626
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Jayses(m): 5:00pm On Sep 23, 2013
Praise the Lord , breathren i'm so excited today , be4 i proceed i would love to say a very big thank you to Jesus for making me part of this day , secondly i would say tnk u to my one and only mum then to my brothers Matthew and John respectively and to my only sis Utibe, my frends j twice the Anamdie baba,mo6ix,DOKIANO the ete Inor , i appreciate each and every one of you including those that would click like . I'm first to comment as for my Dad i'm still singing remember me by lucky dube . Oboy stage fright wan kill me !! , i wish i can say more LOL.

8 Likes

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by 50calibre(m): 5:00pm On Sep 23, 2013
Saw the guy on TV yesterday, gesticulating to the fans. What he was trying to tell them is what I don't know.
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by PurpleHouse(m): 5:02pm On Sep 23, 2013
There are better threads begging for front Page! Wetin Concern me with DarknessLand?
Liked his personality though! But these days, u don't boss people around-- that's ticket to grade 0! Learn to work with and manage People!

1 Like

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by bunku(m): 5:04pm On Sep 23, 2013
Good for him.better luck next time
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by AbuMikey(m): 5:05pm On Sep 23, 2013
With 4 games against Petersborough,Liverpool,Manchester United and Newcastle,its very obvious the loosing streak is gonna continue with just a draw against Petersborough cheesy

#Fact
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Alexanderobi: 5:07pm On Sep 23, 2013
Ist debut,got frontpage dancin awilo,skelewu ;DIst debut,got frontpage dancin awilo,skelewu

1 Like

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by prospero5(m): 5:09pm On Sep 23, 2013
action guy- di canio. We'll miss you.

1 Like

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by venorite(m): 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2013
lol...been a long time coming
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by aspabay(m): 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2013
Hmm Opin Aye
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Aifey(m): 5:12pm On Sep 23, 2013
Football remains wht it is.
Competion.
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by fuckfuckman(m): 5:12pm On Sep 23, 2013
fūck and heaven whhi sweet pass
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Ina2k(m): 5:13pm On Sep 23, 2013
Jayses: Praise the Lord , breathren i'm so excited today , be4 i proceed i would love to say a very big thank you to Jesus for making me part of this day , secondly i would say tnk u to my one and only mum then to my brothers Matthew and John respectively and to my only sis Utibe, my frends j twice the Anamdie baba,mo6ix,DOKIANO the ete Inor , i appreciate each and every one of you including those that would click like . I'm first to comment as for my Dad i'm still singing remember me by lucky dube . Oboy stage fright wan kill me !! , i wish i can say more LOL.
angry
Jayses: Praise the Lord , breathren i'm so excited today , be4 i proceed i would love to say a very big thank you to Jesus for making me part of this day , secondly i would say tnk u to my one and only mum then to my brothers Matthew and John respectively and to my only sis Utibe, my frends j twice the Anamdie baba,mo6ix,DOKIANO the ete Inor , i appreciate each and every one of you including those that would click like . I'm first to comment as for my Dad i'm still singing remember me by lucky dube . Oboy stage fright wan kill me !! , i wish i can say more LOL.
are u sick?
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Maxymilliano(m): 5:13pm On Sep 23, 2013
Sorry dude, it was fun while it last ...

3 Likes

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by fredoooooo: 5:16pm On Sep 23, 2013
Useless italian who believe the world revolve arround him .
Mukenkelicious , time to sack this yeye OP ( chimerase ) from NL grin grin
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by wellmax(m): 5:18pm On Sep 23, 2013
Bad for him.

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by ravensckar(m): 5:18pm On Sep 23, 2013
Am sick 2d bone to hear ds. He n Adam Johnson r d reason why I support Sunderland. so wat do I make out of ds bad news na? #Cryin sorrowfully#

1 Like

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Danhumprey: 5:20pm On Sep 23, 2013
So? undecided So,because you are first to comment,we should praise God?? How silly!? You must be a kid! angry
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Jayses(m): 5:22pm On Sep 23, 2013
Ina2k: angry are u sick?
guy if u no shut up , i go take my hand delete you from nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by BavarianLad: 5:26pm On Sep 23, 2013
Next is Mourinho.
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Jayses(m): 5:26pm On Sep 23, 2013
Danhumprey: So? undecided So,because you are first to comment,we should praise God?? How silly!? You must be a kid! angry
were u intending to praise satan ? Go and learn how to give tnks to God in every tin.
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by mastermynd(m): 5:27pm On Sep 23, 2013
abeeg,hw does callsoff assu strike,,,,
another coursemate is pregnant,,
nonsense,,,
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by aspabay(m): 5:27pm On Sep 23, 2013
Opin Aye le leyi o
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by dotcomnami: 5:30pm On Sep 23, 2013
This is the work of Ozil combination with Flamini. Any club should come and try Arsenal now, they will mess the club. Arsenal is hot seriously now. Go ask Spurs, Sunderland, Stoke, Fulham, Fenerbache and Marseille, they will tell you how far.

Arsenal prayer now is to meet Man United to finish Man City's job since last evening grin

Arsenal also praying now to meet Chelsea to help Basel finish their job grin

MESUT OZIL a.k.a £42 MILLION POUNDS, AKOREDE, OLANBIWONNINU, IREBIWONNINU, OLUWAGOALSETTER, MASTEROFASSIST

Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil

Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil Özil

5 Likes

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by anishe(m): 5:34pm On Sep 23, 2013
He's been sacked since yesterday na.
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Rejoice5000(f): 5:34pm On Sep 23, 2013
sacked ok oooo he is not the first to be sacked b4
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by nerodenero: 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2013
A reliable and sensible comment would have given you some reasonable amount of likes than this childish submission. From this comment, it shows you are a kid, still growing and seeking irrelevant attention. No to worry, you are free to exhibit your youthful exuberant. It is what kids of your age do, so no offense committed.

1 Like

Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by nerodenero: 5:39pm On Sep 23, 2013
dotcom_na_mi: This is the work of Ozil combination with Flamini. Any club should come and try Arsenal now, they will mess the club. Arsenal is hot seriously now. Go ask Spurs, Sunderland, Stoke, Fulham, Fenerbache and Marseille, they will tell you how far.

Arsenal prayer now is to meet Man United to finish Man City's job since last evening grin

Arsenal also praying now to meet Chelsea to help Basel finish their job grin

MESUT OZIL a.k.a £42 MILLION POUNDS, AKOREDE, OLANBIWONNINU, IREBIWONNINU, OLUWAGOALSETTER, MASTEROFASSIST

It is obvious your brain needs "dot" as your handle implies grin grin grin
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by An0nimus: 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2013
@Jayses stop posting the same First to comment trash on every FP topic angry
Re: Paolo Di Canio Sacked By Sunderland by Emelcee: 5:46pm On Sep 23, 2013
SHOCKER , I just heard from my land lady that deals on fish that a BOAT CAPSIZES AT ISHIET IN AKWA IBOM STATE KILLING MORE THAN 200 PEOPLE...that's a bad news in my state today... No link yet but am 100% sure that its true

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Newcastle United Vs Liverpool - (1 - 3) On 26th July 2020 / Ozil Signs For Real Madrid / Manchester United Vs Wigan Athletic (4 - 0) - On 15th September 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.