Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,092 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. (12183 Views)

SWEET POISON / Sweet Poison / Sweet Poison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by beejaay: 12:49am On Sep 24, 2013
Pukkah:

Try and read it. It's not too long and won't take your full 3 mins.

It's worth reading.
i had to read it like 3 times, its classic.

MAYOWAK:

The tragedy of Africa is that it reached the information age without first passing through the industrial age. In matters temporal, Africa got to the modern age without passing through the Enlightenment. That is why some people believe that a child was born holding a mini-Koran in its hand, or that a child came out of the womb holding a cross in its hand. Why mini-Koran? Why a cross? Why something we already know? Why does this kind of phenomenon only happen in societies that wallow in superstition? If it is a message from God, as some believe, why won’t God use the opportunity to send a definitive manual of life?

this so true, i was having this same conversation with my brother about 2hours ago not knowing someone has already done a good job on it. African is in this deep shit because we were not allowed to grow at our own pace (a case study is Nigeria religious and political mindset), the reasoning and gift of industrial age is not experienced in africa which reading and curiousity is part and parcel of and therefore no real knowledge to handle wat information age come with(what we are left with is strong propensity to accept anything at face value with strong conviction without recourse to scrutiny)

we will get there someday and if not we are doomed

1 Like

Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by beejaay: 1:06am On Sep 24, 2013
Road_Lord: Sometimes I wish dead people could come around to tell us the true state of things.

I can't argue the existence of God, the problem I have is man's helplessness. We just find ourselves here. We don't even know lot of things for example, we don't know why we sleep or where we go when we do. Then we get curious and explain things away.
Arguing there is God or not is futile. You are just a little better than people that fight for religion.

We are mental beings, we see the world differently. Somehow and somewhere down the line we have formed our perception about God.
It gets worrisome when Muslims believe all non-muslims will perish and christians believe all "non-christ-followers" will go to hell.

I don't argue religion, it is useless. I wasn't there when Jesus came, I grew up beliving that. Sue me. But why should I fight or ask others who probably came from Ifa background believe what I believe. If I want them to, then I should come up with convincing reasons.

God can make all of us access him through a channel, who knows why he didn't. He could as well show every atheist he exist. I am asked to preach the gospel as a christian, that doesn't imply I should shove it down everybody's throat. Most of us are hypocrites. Most acclaimed believers won't even make heaven. We are just experts at letting others know we have a better view of spiritual matters. I suggest we spend the time we use in criticizing others to make our ways straight as our beliefs require.

I am a believer solely for few reasons.

Statistics showed that almost everybody will die. When I die and eventually find out there is no God, which I doubt, I won't have anything to lose. I won't even want people alive to know it is a "fable"
Once u belief there is no God, then what's the point? Being good or bad becomes unimportant. That there is no life thereafter will paint a picture of society without law, no court and no judgement. That seems unlikely.
People don't talk about existence of satan, devil, demon, witches or wizards. If these guys exist, then there should be a counterpart. The presence of darkness tells a story about light.

We all have right to our beliefs. Every law supports this.
Let's live and let others live.

wonderful piece, however on the highlighted religion doesn't define morality, infact we can argue that morality pre-exist religion. we are good because we want to be good and bad because we want to be bad.
the question is what is morality, what is good and what is bad, who decide and define good and bad, what is good to you might be bad to me (in this scenario who is bad and who is good) for example yaradua died as a result of ill health (his wife and family lost their benefactor and north lost their born to rule) and GEJ became president(good for him, his wife and cronies)
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by RoadLord: 6:51am On Sep 24, 2013
^^^@beejay.

Have u ever wondered why people are religious?
Religion promise to reward the good with heaven and the bad with condemnation. If there is no promise of harvest, a farmer will not till the soil.

If you remove police, court and prisons from our society in your imagination, you will see that we all have propensity to commit crime. I agree morality pre-exited religion but crime pre-existed the law too. Law was put in place to check crime. Without law, the story will be different.

Morality is about right or wrong. Good and bad are more explicit. Except you want to argue, you should know good and bad are not moral issues.

Bad in my context means anything you do that can harm you or others. Ask an adulterer how he would feel if someone sleeps with his wife. When you catch a thief, there is no point asking if what he did is bad or good.

I will not gainsay anyone. We can only learn when we listen to opinions.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by MAYOWAAK: 9:46am On Sep 24, 2013
''Nigerians, if the French had colonised Nigeria, we'd be speaking French as an official language,caling ourselves french names and worshiping any God/gods they came with,today; if the Spanish had done we'd be speaking Spanish and calling ourselves Spanish names and also worshiping their gods. If the Indians had colonised Nigeria, we'd be speaking their language and worshipping their gods.
The Arabs invaded North Africa and some other parts of Africa, hence those places speak Arabic and follow Islam. Same in Latin America with the Spanish/Portuguese and English/French. Hence they speak those European languages and worship their gods.
If the Yorubas had conquered the world,98% of the world population would be speaking Yoruba and worshipping the Yoruba God,with the remaining 2% tagged rebels,unbelievers,fools,infidels,slaves etc(see how funny the human minds operate?).
It is that simple,it is not rocket science! Quit hating and killing people over religions that was enforced on you and your ancestors through invasions and colonialism.God is God everywhere,there is no religion greater than another.All religion are same,borne of the need to fellowship with their divine creator.It is either you take the truth or you leave it for fact are sacred
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by beejaay: 10:58am On Sep 24, 2013
Road_Lord: ^^^@beejay.

let me borrow some punchline from Lao Tzu

The highest good is not to seek to do good,
but to allow yourself to become it.
The ordinary person seeks to do good things,
and finds that they cannot do them continually.
The Master does not force virtue on others,
thus she is able to accomplish her task.
The ordinary person, who uses force,
will find that they accomplish nothing.
The kind person acts from the heart,
and accomplishes a multitude of things.
The righteous person acts out of pity,
yet leaves many things undone.
The moral person will act out of duty,
and when no one will respond
will roll up his sleeves and uses force.
When the Tao is forgotten, there is righteousness.
When righteousness is forgotten, there is morality.
When morality is forgotten, there is the law.
The law is the husk of faith,
and trust is the beginning of chaos.
Thank you.
another one

When people see things as beautiful,
ugliness is created.
When people see things as good,
evil is created.

Being and non-being produce each other.
Difficult and easy complement each other.
Long and short define each other.
High and low oppose each other.
Fore and aft follow each other.
Therefore the Master
can act without doing anything
and teach without saying a word.
Things come her way and she does not stop them;
things leave and she lets them go.
She has without possessing,
and acts without any expectations.
When her work is done, she takes no credit.
That is why it will last forever.

If you overly esteem talented individuals,
people will become overly competitive.
If you overvalue possessions,
people will begin to steal.

Do not display your treasures
or people will become envious.
The Master leads by
emptying people's minds,
filling their bellies,
weakening their ambitions,
and making them become strong.
Preferring simplicity and freedom from desires,
avoiding the pitfalls of knowledge and wrong action.
For those who practice not-doing,
everything will fall into place.
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 24, 2013
MayowaAK, that piece of yours was amazing. Simply amazing!!! Had to copy it and save on my phone.
Some of the points you highlighted were some of the questions I ask my very religious friends. I ask them, if we claim Christianity is the true way of life, does that mean that our will create 7 billion people , make 2 billion of them christians(with diversity) and perish the other 5 billion??
I ask them, what if you were born in Iraq, would you be a christian? Are you to be blamed for how/where you born? Are you to be blamed for taking up a religion you were born into and didn't choose? Finally, would it be right for a God we claim to be full of love destroy us simply due to factors that we didn't create ourselves??

1 Like

Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 24, 2013
oluafolabi: MayowaAK, that piece of yours was amazing. Simply amazing!!! Had to copy it and save on my phone.
Some of the points you highlighted were some of the questions I ask my very religious friends. I ask them, if we claim Christianity is the true way of life, does that mean that our will create 7 billion people , make 2 billion of them christians(with diversity) and perish the other 5 billion??
I ask them, what if you were born in Iraq, would you be a christian? Are you to be blamed for how/where you born? Are you to be blamed for taking up a religion you were born into and didn't choose? Finally, would it be right for a God we claim to be full of love destroy us simply due to factors that we didn't create ourselves??
Romans 9:13.
While Esau was yet in his mothers womb and had committed no sin, God said he hated the poor guy but loved Jacob.
There is nothing new under the sun. God knows the end from the beginning. Its called predestination. You can't question God but you still have a choice to make and God knew that Esau will make the wrong choice even before he was born.
So what choice are you making? Scoffing the word of God!!! God knew you will do this so he predestinated you to be an atheist.
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by ReubenAbati: 4:29pm On Sep 24, 2013
Ajibam: you are right all the way,but you are critically wrong in two ways...
Christianity is not a religion but a lifestyle...your personal encounter with Jesus....religion is a sweet poison,true!..but not Christianity because it is a lifestyle...
heaven is not a state of mind...it is a destination, a place...
you are still yet to know him,come closer to be unveiled

[size=18pt]You no know anything.

All what you wrote still confirms that Religion is Sweet Poizon![/size]
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by ReubenAbati: 4:31pm On Sep 24, 2013
tosingcfr: Too much of reading of Karl Marx or Marx's influenced writtings is worrying the O.P.''religion is the opium of the masses''

So, pray, which writings should I read?

Which ones are you reading or have you read?
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by mazaje(m): 10:30pm On Sep 24, 2013
ariseandshine:
Romans 9:13.
While Esau was yet in his mothers womb and had committed no sin, God said he hated the poor guy but loved Jacob.
There is nothing new under the sun. God knows the end from the beginning. Its called predestination. You can't question God but you still have a choice to make and God knew that Esau will make the wrong choice even before he was born.
So what choice are you making? Scoffing the word of God!!! God knew you will do this so he predestinated you to be an atheist.

And when did any god personally tell you anything himself?. . .You just keep regurgitating the writings of other men whom you have been indoctrinated to be the word of god and you accept it hook line and sinker without thinking. . .He is not scoffing at the word of any god because no god has ever written anything or told any body to write anything on his behalf. . .Men wrote those things for various reasons and ascribed it to what ever god concept of god they invented. . .If the bible is the word of god then the koran and the hindu verders are also the word of god as well. . .
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by Nosu(m): 2:15am On Sep 25, 2013
I can see a lot of foolish Galatians on this trend. God, help our heart.
I will actually would hv love to sit with a lot of persons in here and hv a face to face talk.

U don't believe there is God, no problem. Wen u meet him in person u will believe because u hv a compulsory appointment with Him.

U don't believe in Jesus as your saviour, no wahala, u might neva meet him because u don't hv a part with him.

The truth remains true whether u believe or not, so pls as we read and think, let always pray to come in contact with the truth in matters that concern life and I pray that the Good Lord will help our heart
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by MightySparrow: 2:31am On Sep 25, 2013
How much can your unbelief change the truth?

2 Likes

Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by MAYOWAAK: 8:36am On Sep 25, 2013
Road_Lord: ^^^@beejay.

Have u ever wondered why people are religious?
Religion promise to reward the good with heaven and the bad with condemnation. If there is no promise of harvest, a farmer will not till the soil.

If you remove police, court and prisons from our society in your imagination, you will see that we all have propensity to commit crime. I agree morality pre-exited religion but crime pre-existed the law too. Law was put in place to check crime. Without law, the story will be different.

Morality is about right or wrong. Good and bad are more explicit. Except you want to argue, you should know good and bad are not moral issues.

Bad in my context means anything you do that can harm you or others. Ask an adulterer how he would feel if someone sleeps with his wife. When you catch a thief, there is no point asking if what he did is bad or good.

I will not gainsay anyone. We can only learn when we listen to opinions.

Thank you.

At his best,man is the noblest of all animals.Remove law and justice he is the worst.
Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by Alekhine: 1:48am On Sep 28, 2013
Nigeria is doomed. It is funny that we are educated but know nothing.
We believe in Science n Religion. We know the principles of economics but still believe that it is possible for a sacrificed head to print out money no one asks which number the printed notes will carry maybe CBN has places where they keep money printed by Minting n printing n also those printed by Rituals. LoL
U know the Principles of Physics but still believe people can elevate n travel with a broom. No one asks why has that person not travelled to China or Us without Visa using his broom. LoL We even have medical doctors who believe that a person can deliver a goat, lion, bat, yam etc. The list goes on n on n on even those that call u and u appear in a mirror. Why has he not called Obama and killed him or called Osama bin laden when he was wanted n killed him. Nigeria is a country filled with Idiots that can't think for themselves.
Like I said these are the so called educated minds. Now think of how the illiterate's will be.
We are truly doomed.

1 Like

Re: Religion Is Sweet Poison, Heaven Is A State Of Mind. by peterphd(m): 9:42pm On Sep 29, 2013
Alekhine: Nigeria is doomed. It is funny that we are educated but know nothing.
We believe in Science n Religion. We know the principles of economics but still believe that it is possible for a sacrificed head to print out money no one asks which number the printed notes will carry maybe CBN has places where they keep money printed by Minting n printing n also those printed by Rituals. LoL
U know the Principles of Physics but still believe people can elevate n travel with a broom. No one asks why has that person not travelled to China or Us without Visa using his broom. LoL We even have medical doctors who believe that a person can deliver a goat, lion, bat, yam etc. The list goes on n on n on even those that call u and u appear in a mirror. Why has he not called Obama and killed him or called Osama bin laden when he was wanted n killed him. Nigeria is a country filled with Idiots that can't think for themselves.
Like I said these are the so called educated minds. Now think of how the illiterate's will be.
We are truly doomed.

My brother, you have said it all.people are too afraid so they have to hold onto illusions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does Masturbation Hinders One's Progress / Anglican Bishop Drags 3 Priests To Court / Christian Elders Forum Reliving Don Quixote – Muric

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.