Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On (2921 Views)

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 And Note Edge German Pre-orders Launch / Wow! Tecno Mobile Begins Pre-orders For The Tecno Phantom Z / 'Galaxy Gear' Watch-like Phone By Samsung To Be Introduced Next Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 2:21pm On Sep 24, 2013
Samsung galaxy note III is set to hit Nigerian stores on October 1st.
The Pre-order page with a countdown is already up. The note III goes for N115,000 and the Gear smartwatch for N50,000

The note III comes with a 5.7" Full HD Super AMOLED display, 3GB of RAM, 32/64GB ROM, an octacore processor, a 13MP camera, the capacitive S-pen and a 3200 mAh removable battery.

Full specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_3-5665.php

Source: http://samsungmobileng.com/iwantthefuture/index.php

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2FMxMQZNJg&hl=en-GB&gl=NG&client=mv-google&guid=&app=desktop [/flash]

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 2:26pm On Sep 24, 2013
What do you guys think?

Personally, I think it's a bit expensive considering Samsung has always launched their flagships especially those of last year between 90 and 100k. It looks as if they are beginning to increase prices as they become a more dominant force. But then, this comes with at least 32GB storage unlike previous models.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by psalmdave(m): 3:19pm On Sep 24, 2013
Thank God,ill see how many people that wants to kill their self for it here will be able to buy it...op that octacore processor is just out of this world,not to mention the 32gig rom,3gig ram,sAMsung is just too crazy
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 8:50pm On Sep 24, 2013
psalmdave: Thank God,ill see how many people that wants to kill their self for it here will be able to buy it...op that octacore processor is just out of this world,not to mention the 32gig rom,3gig ram,sAMsung is just too crazy

Man people will buy whatever phone that suits them provided they can afford it.
Also, its not really an octacore processor in one but two different quad core processors (a quadcore Cortex- A15 clocked at 1.9 GHz A and a quadcore Cortex-A7 clocked 1.3 GHz). The reason is to reduce power consumption such that the slower processor is used for less tasking duties.
Currently, both cannot run together but there are rumours that a future update might enable this thereby giving it a true octacore processor.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by moshoodn(m): 10:53pm On Sep 24, 2013
jedisco:

Man people will buy whatever phone that suits them provided they can afford it.
Also, its not really an octacore processor in one but two different quad core processors (a quadcore Cortex- A15 clocked at 1.9 GHz A and a quadcore Cortex-A7 clocked 1.3 GHz). The reason is to reduce power consumption such that the slower processor is used for less tasking duties.
Currently, both cannot run together but there are rumours that a future update might enable this thereby giving it a true octacore processor.

You don't update hardware mechanism....
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 1:03am On Sep 25, 2013
moshoodn:

You don't update hardware mechanism....

Yes you do. It has been done severally by several OEMs in the past. For example, the processor clock speed can be increased via an update.

The explanation I gave above is clear enough. All that needs to be done is to allow both processors to run concurrently. Meizu has already announced that later this year, they would update their phone which has thesame processor as the note 3 to enable it run all 8 at once. I see no reason why Samsung who make the chip themselves cannot add that.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by naijafan(m): 1:38am On Sep 25, 2013
jedisco:

Yes you do. It has been done severally by several OEMs in the past. For example, the processor clock speed can be increased via an update.

The explanation I gave above is clear enough. All that needs to be done is to allow both processors to run concurrently. Meizu has already announced that later this year, they would update their phone which has thesame processor as the note 3 to enable it run all 8 at once. I see no reason why Samsung who make the chip themselves cannot add that.

What you speak of is known as big.LITTLE heterogeneous multiprocessing, and moshoodn is right. You cannot "update" hardware mechanism in the sense that you speak of. Good news however is Samsung implemented this in the Exynos 5420, which is the same processor on the Note 3 so yes, in this new device, the operating system kernel can schedule tasks to all 8 cores at once. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7313/samsung-announces-biglittle-mp-support-in-exynos-5420. Meizu's update will actually require a new phone, as the Note 3 is the first device shipping with this new SoC.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 2:28am On Sep 25, 2013
naijafan:

What you speak of is known as big.LITTLE heterogeneous multiprocessing, and moshoodn is right. You cannot "update" hardware mechanism in the sense that you speak of. Good news however is Samsung implemented this in the Exynos 5420, which is the same processor on the Note 3 so yes, in this new device, the operating system kernel can schedule tasks to all 8 cores at once. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7313/samsung-announces-biglittle-mp-support-in-exynos-5420. Meizu's update will actually require a new phone, as the Note 3 is the first device shipping with this new SoC.

I don't understand why this seems so hard to understand.

I have explained to you guys that certain hardware can be updated just as has been done in the past and this being a prime example.

Your post contains many errors. Let me clear them up

1. The Exynos 5420 or 5410 cannot currently run all 8 cores ar once on any device even the note 3.
2. Meizu's update to the MX3 will not require a new phone. It will come as a software update to the already announced MX3.
3. The new SoC that utilizes all 8 is not currently available and therefore not on the note or any other phone. As a matter of fact, it has just been announced and is due to be deployed later this year.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:19am On Sep 25, 2013
The one misconception i have an issue with is this pricing thing.

Our nigerian dealers always seek to profit massively on flagship releases by pricing them ridiculously at launch. Not the OEMs

People turn round to castigate the OEMs for the local pricing by shylock dealers.

A case in point is the Blackberry Z10. at launch it sold for 115-130 k and even more depending on the maga. after a few months of sluggish sales, those dealers magically slashed prices to 90. its now 75-80k averagely. even more astonishing independent hustlers who import in units sell for less!!

as far as i know, Blackberry has not slashed the price of unlocked versions of the phone. and also established dealers like Slot do get their inventory from Asia. And its always cheaper in bulk compared with the announced American Market prices. American retail prices are usually the highest.

We exploit ourselves. Simple!!
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 8:50am On Sep 25, 2013
@4ller
I don't think this has much to do with Nigerian retailers. What you said happens with HTC and mainly Apple phones maybe because they do not have an established presence in Nigeria.

The fact is that all around the world early adopters especially for unlocked devices pay more. It's not just a Nigerian thing

This is different from when a retailer personally imports a phone before its officially released in Nigeria. That was what happened with the Z10. Those initially high prices were before it was released officially. The official release price was around 98k. The sudden fall in price of the Z10 is not peculiar to Nigeria. I think it's about $300 abroad and its even expected to fall more with the recent write-down. Someone bought the 808 for about 120k a week after it's European release. It's release price here waa about 94k

I've noticed Nigerian prices usually match Indian prices and to a less extent American prices. I remember coming across a pre-order article for this phone from India and they were also complaining of its high price.

My take on it is that Samsung are now going for more profit as they become a major player just like Apple. That should also be the reason for the yearly increase. this time last year, the price of the S3 had fallen below 90k. But the S4 is still around its release price currently.

That said, I think the final retail price should be a bit lower.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by naijafan(m): 10:01am On Sep 25, 2013
jedisco:
1. The Exynos 5420 or 5410 cannot currently run all 8 cores ar once on any device even the note 3.

The video by ARM (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LNPxExkLMo) embedded in the link I provided specifically mentioned the Exynos 5420, which is the SoC in the Note 3. I understand I am being hopeful the stock kernel on the device will have a capable scheduler as well, considering availability of the technology is supposed to be at the end of Q4.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 11:50am On Sep 27, 2013
naijafan:

The video by ARM (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LNPxExkLMo) embedded in the link I provided specifically mentioned the Exynos 5420, which is the SoC in the Note 3. I understand I am being hopeful the stock kernel on the device will have a capable scheduler as well, considering availability of the technology is supposed to be at the end of Q4.

I watched the video and I think it gives credence to the fact that the 5420 is inherently capable of running all 8 at once. Though this has not been enabled on the note, at least for now.

That said, though it may be a nice thing to have, I think the next big push in processor technology is the use of 64 bit chips.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by Wilfem(m): 2:55pm On Sep 27, 2013
It's already available and I just got one for someone for the amount N115K, hoping to get the gear later
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by Randerl: 6:30pm On Sep 27, 2013
jedisco: What do you guys think?

Personally, I think it's a bit expensive considering Samsung has always launched their flagships especially those of last year between 90 and 100k. It looks as if they are beginning to increase prices as they become a more dominant force. But then, this comes with at least 32GB storage unlike previous models.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by fiscalcliff: 11:45pm On Sep 27, 2013
Must one purchase a new phone every year? undecided
If it isn't vanity inducement, people should help define what it is? sad
This scenario of trimester, half yearly and annual fresh releases is getting ridiculous
I recall Fela's song on inflationary forces rubbishing one's purchasing power
By the time you save up kobo coins to buy last year's flagship you see the ad for this year's flagship
This is truly a never ending cycle to keep up with the Joneses
But hey Samsung, Apple and this tech companies have got to feed off the brains and pockets of too many who can't resist the urge of impulsive consumption by stopping to ask, WHY AM I BUYING THIS?
In secondary school Economics,I recall been taught BUY YOUR NEEDS NOT YOUR WANTS
But who listens to teachers nowadays? embarassed embarassed
No wonder the Western economies gave us the gift of the economic recession tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 10:13am On Oct 01, 2013
Wilfem: It's already available and I just got one for someone for the amount N115K, hoping to get the gear later

Yeah. Just saw it on Jumia.
What's your first impression of it?
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by jedisco(m): 10:21am On Oct 01, 2013
fiscalcliff: Must one purchase a new phone every year? undecided
If it isn't vanity inducement, people should help define what it is? sad
This scenario of trimester, half yearly and annual fresh releases is getting ridiculous
I recall Fela's song on inflationary forces rubbishing one's purchasing power
By the time you save up kobo coins to buy last year's flagship you see the ad for this year's flagship
This is truly a never ending cycle to keep up with the Joneses
But hey Samsung, Apple and this tech companies have got to feed off the brains and pockets of too many who can't resist the urge of impulsive consumption by stopping to ask, WHY AM I BUYING THIS?
In secondary school Economics,I recall been taught BUY YOUR NEEDS NOT YOUR WANTS
But who listens to teachers nowadays? embarassed embarassed
No wonder the Western economies gave us the gift of the economic recession tongue tongue

I agree with you though not fully.
Personally, I see no reason why one should change his/her phone every year. Normally I think two years is ok for me.
Although Samsung would sell the note 3 to anyone, I think it was geared at new adopters and those who bought the original note and not people with note 2 or S4.

I see nothing wrong with what Samsung and Apple are doing. They have built a tradition of refreshing their flagships every year which to me is ideal as technology evolves rapidly. It's up to the buyer to be sensible enough to know when to buy.
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On by TechJournal: 3:08pm On Jan 10, 2014
There is a new gear in town, and trust me it's way better then the samsung gear.. Pebble! A smart watch that is guaranteed to make you never wear any other wrist watch again. Get all your notifications on your wrist on the go and always stay connected with a battery that lasts for 7 days. A new gear for your Android Smart phone. Do check it out a@ https://www.facebook.com/pebblenigeria

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of World First Bezel-less Phone With 4 Cameras Coming At A Cheap Prize / Easter Phone Sales On Jumia - Get The Best For Little / Huawei Drags Tecno, Infinix And Itel’s Mother Company To Court Over IP Theft!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.