Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,827 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram (1526 Views)

Help, My Computer Shows A Blue Screen And Off When Browsing. / My Computer Shows "blue Screen" - What Do I Do? / My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jun 24, 2008
Please fellow computer people of Nairaland, I would like to know where 40MB of my 1GB RAM has gone. I bought 1GB RAM for my desktop which houses XP Sp2. I heard RAM has some part of OS loaded and other programs' core running on it when we power up our computer. However, more light on this, is what I need.Please am waiting.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by Delta007(m): 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2008
ferdiii:

Please fellow computer people of Nairaland, I would like to know where 40MB of my 1GB RAM has gone. I bought 1GB RAM for my desktop which houses XP Sp2. I heard RAM has some part of OS loaded and other programs' core running on it when we power up our computer. However, more light on this, is what I need.Please am waiting.
What do u mean?
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by dnative(m): 4:28pm On Jun 24, 2008
That's most likely taken up by your onboard vga.

If you go into the BIOS of the computer, you there should be a setting under PCI devices that would show you how much of the system memory is being taken up by the VGA controller.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 24, 2008
When I rightclick on MY COMPUTER it shows me 960MB of RAM. But I know 40MB of the 1GB RAM is in use elsewhere but why was it not accounted for here? All I want to know now is a comprehensive talk based on computer technicality to understand better. Thank you.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 24, 2008
dnative:

That's most likely taken up by your onboard vga.

If you go into the BIOS of the computer, you there should be a setting under PCI devices that would show you how much of the system memory is being taken up by the VGA controller.

Thank you Dnative. I will get much happier with more and elaborate responses from my people. Thanks.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by dnative(m): 4:44pm On Jun 24, 2008
No probs. I've just given a straight answer for what might be the most likely culprit. I'm not disposed for an elaborate textbook response at the moment. The answer provided might be a hint to use in a google search. That quest for knowledge should be a worthwhile part of the journey.I'm sure other folks here would give a more elaborate response.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by kinharold(m): 9:55pm On Jun 24, 2008
dat is it, 40mb used by the system core board hardware like VGA, BIos and other onboard devices. the 960mb the available for use by other programmes. it is the same on every computer nomatter the RAM size.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by TmeD0(m): 12:57am On Jun 25, 2008
kinharold:

that is it, 40mb used by the system core board hardware like VGA, BIos and other onboard devices. the 960mb the available for use by other programmes. it is the same on every computer nomatter the RAM size. (Not necessarily sir!)

The only time that occurs is if you're using an onboard video card just like dnative stated.  However, if you install a dedicated video card that already has it's own memory, the memory will not be shared with the system memory.  In this case, you will be using your full system memory and it will clearly show you in systems properties.  Peace!
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by Nobody: 9:31am On Jun 25, 2008
Thank you all. Am carefully coming into computer world and I know I will elaborate this through searches. Thanks.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by erico2k2(m): 11:06am On Jul 04, 2008
ferdiii:

My dear friend, you are using misinformation on your request, now RAM= Randon Access Memory involves your Memory only not storage
I believe you are asking about your hard Drive HD,now what happened to you is that you got unpatitioned space in it, you have to reformat it and re-install windows, do you have teh windows Xp Disk?, and do you know how to format and reinstall windows?,what is your RAM? i.e computer memory you know the flat chips you that plug in your motherboard, I shall upload pictures tell me what one you talking about Ok.

Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by TmeD0(m): 1:25am On Jul 08, 2008
ferdiii:

erico2k2:

My dear friend, you are using misinformation on your request, now RAM= Randon Access Memory involves your Memory only not storage
I believe you are asking about your hard Drive HD,now what happened to you is that you got unpatitioned space in it, you have to reformat it and re-install windows, do you have the windows Xp Disk?, and do you know how to format and reinstall windows?,what is your RAM? i.e computer memory you know the flat chips you that plug in your motherboard, I shall upload pictures tell me what one you talking about Ok.

@erico2k2 uuh uuh, I think you're the one that's mistaken.  The guy clearly stated that he purchased 1GB RAM not a HD, which indicates that he knows what he's talking about.  FYI sir, you can't run or install WinXP with only 1GB HD(if you can find that)  space if you clearly understood the guy's posting.  Just thought I'd clear that up for you.  Oh, and the 'R" is Random (Ok, maybe na typo).  Peace!
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by erico2k2(m): 7:22pm On Jul 08, 2008
you are right there, you know say all these long long thing dey tire to read appologies I beg Unu no vex.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by samir101ng(m): 7:56pm On Jul 08, 2008
O boy, all this talking just for missing 40 mb ram out of 1gb. i think the poster shouldnt worry himself over this little ram.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by TmeD0(m): 11:14pm On Jul 08, 2008
erico2k2:

you are right there, you know say all these long long thing dey tire to read appologies I beg Unu no vex.

no yawa and no need for apologies now. . . only be say you first confuse me with your explanation.  anyway sha, i hope hin don see say hin go need dedicated video card if hin wan see all in RAM.

samir101ng:

O boy, all this talking just for missing 40 mb ram out of 1gb. i think the poster shouldnt worry himself over this little ram.

Lol! nna, i no blame the bobo now.  you know how mush hin pay for the tin?  abeg, leave am with hin RAM o jare  grin
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by erico2k2(m): 11:32am On Jul 09, 2008
Man the guy needs all his Ram, he needs a dedicated VGA Card with its own Ram.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 09, 2008
It is ok my people. I know the 40MB went somewhere but to say where technically was what I wanted to know. I have that now. I will buy a removal HDD with USB port when that becomes important. Thanks for all the contributions.Bye!
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by sojioguns(m): 1:58pm On Jul 15, 2008
@ poster,
You need to tell us what video card u are using then we can start from there. It shouldnt happen. most intel graphic cards use shared memory but nvidia and ati cards have dedicated memory.
Just go to run an type dxdiag, then go to the video tab and you should see what card u have. It should also tell u whether it is dedicated or shared.
Re: My Computer Shows A Lesser Ram by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 15, 2008
sojioguns:

@ poster,
You need to tell us what video card u are using then we can start from there. It shouldnt happen. most intel graphic cards use shared memory but nvidia and ati cards have dedicated memory.
Just go to run an type dxdiag, then go to the video tab and you should see what card u have. It should also tell u whether it is dedicated or shared.

Am already done. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Need Help Please - My laptop keeps shutting down / Pls Help! Visafone & Corbranet Ugo / My Torrent Dowload Speed Wont Go Up, Help Pls!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.