Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,594 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Who Knows The Significance Of 'Rag Day' To Education? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Knows The Significance Of 'Rag Day' To Education? (1561 Views)

Photo Of The Craziest Rag Day Student... / Photo: 'rag Day' As Celebrated In FUT Minna / What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knows The Significance Of 'Rag Day' To Education? by Nobody: 8:26am On Sep 26, 2013
The scenes created by undergraduates in funny attires soliciting money from the public under the aegis of 'Rag Day' used to be enthralling to my young mind years ago.

Yesterday, however, looking at the same sight from a mature perspective was in no way appealing. I was greatly appalled by the fantasies I had nursed as a child; looking at young men in torn skirts and brassieres, some other ones with painted lips and faces and a large number of females trying to outdo one another with the eccentricity of their fashion statements holding cans like mendicants and begging passers-by for some 'change', prompted me to seek the rationale behind this irrationality.

To whom is the money collected remitted? Charity or the students' pockets? These are my questions begging for answers from those who have participated in the 'show' anytime in the past and from anyone with a contrary perspective.

Someone says, "Before you pull a fence down, find out why it was erected in the first place." Who knows why? I don't!
Re: Who Knows The Significance Of 'Rag Day' To Education? by Mannylex(m): 8:32am On Sep 26, 2013
It ain't got no single significance. I so hate seeing students doing it.... And I never ragged during my time.
Re: Who Knows The Significance Of 'Rag Day' To Education? by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 26, 2013
Mannylex: I never ragged during my time.
I never did either, but I think the ones who did might know something we don't.
Re: Who Knows The Significance Of 'Rag Day' To Education? by kenny1795(m): 8:52am On Sep 26, 2013
Neva ragged. But i think t z d only extra-curriculum activity in d school dat z strictly african.... I dnt c anytin wrong wit t since d money z used 4 charity aswell as d student.
Re: Who Knows The Significance Of 'Rag Day' To Education? by eduson33(m): 8:54am On Sep 26, 2013
RAG DAY::A day on which university students do silly things for charity; often the culmination of rag week''

most student knoweth not the meaning.
The money is meant to go to charity homes,to the poor e.t.c

tho During my own time,we did it for fun and money

(1) (Reply)

ASUU To Meet Over Strike, Says Not Under Pressure / Chinese Or Engineering. Pls Help Me Choose. / JAMB Approved Lists Of 2014/2015 Admitted Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.