Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,962 members, 7,952,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:27 AM

Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? (12045 Views)

Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online / Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Amberg: 4:39am On Jan 17, 2016
aitoehigie:
To the people who challenged me on what i have done, i have developed a web payment platform which is in the process of being deployed on amazon's web services, so it will be up very soon.

Well there're many junks deployed out there on amazon webservices. Doesn't prive ur app's rock solid. Just saying... wink

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by foldl: 4:46pm On Jan 17, 2016
aitoehigie:
I did not start this thread to start a "flame war"...

For one whose intent was not to start a flame war you sure picked a controversial title for your post.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by foldl: 5:18pm On Jan 17, 2016
aitoehigie:
...which i am in the process of deploying on Amazon's EC2 and S3 (if you know what that is).

dis wan dis pikin jus dey tro amazon around like say im jus learn about am yesterday. Egbon Seun abeg no mind am na small pikin dey worry am.

him never go live e dey yarn panya. Wetin original for e-payment wen interswitch, pay4me, remitta, netpostpay, gtpay etc full ground, mek I no mention stripe dem. No worry, sebi u think say na to write code dem dey tek create e-payment for naija, wen the cbn and other policy huddles hit u u go begin look for pesin wey you go dash the code sef.

BTW, upon d mouth wey u dey mek I doubt say you fit mek wetin Seun dey mek for 1 month in adverts for 2 years.

Seun code na cut and paste but e dey pay wella!

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by danvery2k6(m): 11:18pm On Jan 17, 2016
aitoehigie:
Something you might never be able to do. At least i did not download an open source forum called "Simple Machines Forum" and name it "Dollarland.com" I have just finished developing a web payment system (I would have sent you the source code, but i guess not, you might be stumped by it, its not in PHP) which i am in the process of deploying on Amazon's EC2 and S3 (if you know what that is).
?
I GUESS I AM GOING TO BE BANNED FROM THIS "FORUM"FOR THIS DISS, AS IF I CARE!!!

After all the talk and this is what you could come up with? A Web payment System? Are you Sh*t*ng me?

OMG this is hilarious.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by danvery2k6(m): 11:22pm On Jan 17, 2016
aitoehigie:

Please drop the proprietary languages, platforms and IDEs that you use to code. Please (MACROSOFT) i don't want to mention names here, doeskin care about the programmer living in the heart of Africa!. So use open source languages e.g. Python, Ruby, Lisp, Scheme, these may be unknown languages to most people, but they are extremely powerful and simple languages unlike "KAVA" and the .MET languages.

Nice talk about open source. Can we see your Github or Bitbucket account? Let's see how much you've contributed to open source.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Emperoo: 11:39pm On Jan 17, 2016
I think you are wrong b/c their must be competition to keep the market balanced.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by seunthomas: 11:48am On Jan 18, 2016
Ignore this guy. He is a rookie seeking attention. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by olyjosh(m): 12:24pm On Jan 18, 2016
After all these arguments, Seun still got paid. I hope the wisest Nigerian programmer who authored this post will know that he has created this post just to make Seun richer - Ads is already on the post anyway
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by tgmservice: 1:57pm On Jan 18, 2016
aitoehigie:
I did not start this thread to start a "flame war", i started it to express my irritation about the avalanche of "social networks" and "forums" that we have in Nigeria that have no value. To the people who challenged me on what i have done, i have developed a web payment platform which is in the process of being deployed on amazon's web services, so it will be up very soon.
may I remind u its almost 8 years since u last said u will build a new web payment platform. I neva see talkless of ur application. Abeg make una free d guy he hasn't been active 4 over year now, maybe his loud mouth has lead him to his grave
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by silento(m): 3:43pm On Jan 18, 2016
some crazy Azz mudafuka who cannot develop a calculator without a third party library is calling others dumb
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by shootingstar: 12:12am On Feb 05, 2016
danvery2k6:

Nice talk about open source. Can we see your Github or Bitbucket account? Let's see how much you've contributed to open source.

I agree with you. Post your Github or Bitbucket
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by cbrass(m): 7:50pm On Feb 05, 2016
Some people just open their mouth of frustration. Anyway we understand your type of people. Ruby and PHP came out the same year but we all know where PHP is today, so bro stop acting childish, it's not the language but the professional use of the language. If a client approaches me for a Facebook, well I will advice him but if he insists it's not my business, mine is to code and make money. Abeg leavethrashforlawma
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by danidee10(m): 9:24pm On Feb 05, 2016
Kobojunkie:

The only point you make that I agree with is the use of already made code to by web developers in Nigeria to produce social sites all over the place

1) I am not sure if you know this but there is more to the .NET platform than you seem to understand here. You mention your personal list of powerful languages but that does not necessarily mean everyone considers those as powerful as you think.

2) The .NET Platform is built to offer developers ability to develop in most any language but take advantage of the same power that other languages may offer. So, if you do not it, Python is also one of the .NET Languages.

This site here will give you the list of possible languages you can code with using the .NET Platform. The main point being they are all compiled into CIL which is assembled into bycode in the end and so have interoperability.   http://dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx ,  As of 2003, there were about 44 Languages in the .NET language list

3) IF  all code end up the same way; people who code in VB.NET , or C++ , PROLOG( one of my best AI languages, by the way) or Python or even Ada understand that in the end, it all ends up as assembly code which is not language dependent and so I think you may want to review your list of powerful languages there.

4) Since the CLR handles all the conversion work for you, all you need is one IDE. You write your code in whatever language you want to using Visual Studio or some other compiler built on the .NET Platform and the CLR takes care of the work behind doors and you are good to go in any of those 44 languages.

That is some thing to know of .NET and why it is not to be considered non-powerful platform in any way. If you doubt it, write similar functionality in, say C# or IronPython or some other language using the .NET Compiler, compile and use ILDASM to see that your code is compiled the same.

Sample .NET Languages

LISP
clisp (Microsoft)

DotLisp (Rich Hickey)

L# (L Sharp .NET) (Rob Blackwell)
LISP-based script language
FOIL (Rich Hickey and Eric Thorsen)

RDNZL (Edi Weitz)
.NET Layer for Common Lisp

Cobol
NetCOBOL (Fujitsu)
COBOL for .NET
NeoKicks (Fujitsu)

Net Express (Micro Focus)

KICKS for .NET™ (Intensity Software)

Python
IronPython (Microsoft)

KOBRA (Chetan Gadgil)

Python for .NET compiler (Mark Hammond)

Python for .NET (Brian Lloyd)
.NET Integration with Python
IronPython (Microsoft)

Ruby
IronRuby (Microsoft)

Mono Ruby.NET (Jaen,Mono Developers)

NetRuby (arton)

Rook (Castle Project)

Ruby/.NET Bridge (Ben Schroeder, John Pierce)

RubyCLR (John Lam)

Pascal
TMT .NET (TMT)
Pascal Compiler

Fortran
Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran for .NET (Lahey Computer Systems, Inc.)

FTN95 (Salford Software Ltd.)
Fortran for Microsoft .NET

Ruby.NET (Queensland University of Technology)

Scheme
Common Larceny (Northeastern University)

Dot-Scheme (Pedro Pinto)
PLT Scheme Bridge
Bigloo (Inria Sophia-Antipolis)

Hotdog (Northwestern University)

Tachy (Ken Rawlings)

Scheme.NET (Indiana University)

IronScheme (CodePlex Community)

All of this end up as ASSEMBLY CODE which is not Language dependent.

On PHP, I believe it has it's place and part in the programming world. I understand there are more cut and paste PHP developers than there are actual talented developers who are able to write an application from scratch but I do believe PHP for web is needed.

Abi oo,  I think people on here focus TOO MUCH On language and not enough time on other things that actually matter. At the end of the day it is not about the language but how good you are at what you know. Even if Javascript or any other scripting language , is all you can handle, focus on learning all you can of it and strive to become an expert in that area. Expand your skills and broaden your focus and that counts more than then number of languages or the caliber of the language you choose in the end.

Python is not .NET it's just another implementation like jython
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Tpain12: 4:04pm On May 12, 2016
Good afternoon, I just joined this forum and i hope to see the best of it. Please i need a JAVA PROGRAMMER and WEB DEVELOPER who is already working for a Company. I want to be close and gain from him in the development aspect because am still in School. Please here is my email (tpainsmiles@yahoo.com) and you can send me your number so i call you privately and you can always update me and even teach me if necessary. I know nothing goes for free. I am ready to water the ground. Thanks for taking your time to read my post. Temitope
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by cbrass(m): 10:41pm On May 12, 2016
Tpain12:
Good afternoon, I just joined this forum and i hope to see the best of it. Please i need a JAVA PROGRAMMER and WEB DEVELOPER who is already working for a Company. I want to be close and gain from him in the development aspect because am still in School. Please here is my email (tpainsmiles@yahoo.com) and you can send me your number so i call you privately and you can always update me and even teach me if necessary. I know nothing goes for free. I am ready to water the ground. Thanks for taking your time to read my post. Temitope

You are welcome bro
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by youngeddy: 12:51am On Jun 08, 2016
what you have said is good though because opinion is allowed. Am a web programmer by Gods Grace php,javascript html,css sql etc . Any web programmer should holla at me pls 08029178228 or eddyiyayi@gmail.com,. I need programmers as friends.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by ugo2016: 1:04pm On Jun 08, 2016
See 2008 post! Na war o
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Fulaman198(m): 4:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
I think your post should have said why aren't Nigerian programmers innovating. That would have been a much better thing to say to reinforce your point
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by damlax: 4:51pm On Aug 26, 2016
Guys the thing that happens now is that the world is evolving you can't develop things on your you gat to use open source codes nobody knows it all even gates and zuck
Facebook: memcache and so on even their data center design is open source

EA SERVER : MONGODB
And others
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Zdoh(m): 5:54pm On Aug 26, 2016
Even at war i am still learning...i can't imagine seen myself becoming full time proggramer and developer by the end of this year.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by logicalhumour: 7:49pm On Aug 26, 2016
aitoehigie:
The reason why i said that Nigerian programmers are dumb is that even the social networks or forums like this one, where not even coded by them, they only downloaded open source PHP projects, slapped their names on it and "eureka" a new web 2.0 application is born. Like i said, there are a million and one things that we can develop that will fit into this country that we are in.

I would like to ask, what value does a "social network" like e.g. "handwork.com.ng" etc add to your life? compared to a site like Google? Do not get me wrong. i am not insinuating that you should go and develop a search engine (but if you can, please go ahead). I am only saying ....
Don't create a Google, cos I wouldn't use it... it would never offer me the info I need grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by bot101(m): 11:07pm On Aug 26, 2016
aitoehigie:
Something you might never be able to do. At least i did not download an open source forum called "Simple Machines Forum" and name it "Dollarland.com" I have just finished developing a web payment system (I would have sent you the source code, but i guess not, you might be stumped by it, its not in PHP) which i am in the process of deploying on Amazon's EC2 and S3 (if you know what that is).
?
I GUESS I AM GOING TO BE BANNED FROM THIS "FORUM"FOR THIS DISS, AS IF I CARE!!!

Boy, you really are a kid. Stop making me laugh at your girlfriend ignorance.
Knowing the philosophy behind a specific language is enough to educate you a bit. Also, in the real world a powerful language is not known by how short it's syntax is. Grandpa C is an undying testament to that, one even your best language bows to. So young one, stop ranting.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by L4stl00k(m): 7:11pm On Aug 27, 2016
[color=#000099][/color] not everybody's have it in mind to be dangerous on internet...WhatsApp me bro i give u some clew
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Stconvict(m): 11:28am On Aug 28, 2016
I guess the title is somewhat right. Why are you vexing over 8-year old post? Let sleeping dogs lie. Dammit!
The dude probably doesn't remember he posted sth like this anymore.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 28, 2016
It's an insult to say Nigerian Programmers are Dumb!, maybe u could say some are...,But definitely not all. as we have quacks and opportunist in other fields as well... Please Note. Thank You.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by inu629: 6:08am On Aug 31, 2016
Haha nice topic,

I was told that Indian programmers are very good. For Nigerian, I don't know.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 31, 2016
A good programmer must be dumb. Why? Because if he’s smart, and he knows he is smart, he will:
1 stop learning - making it hard for him to try to find new techniques to allow him to work faster
2 stop being critical towards his own work - In the battle between a programmer and the compiler, it’s best for the programmer to give up early and admit that it’s always him and never the compiler who’s at fault (unless it’s character encoding issues).

Also the dumb person will just run off and, without a second thought, do something wrong. The too-smart person will sit down and plan something right, without taking any action. Nobody is really smart enough to program computers. The only way you'll ever succeed as a software developer is by having the concept of beginner's mind: approaching everything as if you were seeing it for the first time. Most of all, that means not being afraid to ask the stupid questions.

In other words, the only way to build great software is to make things as easy as possible for your users. So you better not think too much and act if you want to achieve something............. Ok take a look at these "dumb billion dollar" ideas;

Twitter: You can use this to type 140 characters. Smart guys will wonder why a software that does nothing but let you type 140 characters is valued at multiples of billions

WhatsApp: Just like SMS but doesn’t cost much. People in the have been scratching their heads on how a simple app like WhatsApp got bought for $19B

Airbnb: Rent out your spare mattress. Sleeping in a stranger's bed?

Uber: Just another taxi company to many with an app. I recall watching an interview with Mark Cuban (owner of the Dallas Mavericks, biggest shark in the Shark Tank) where he said he was the first person Uber founders went to for an investment. And he thought it was a dumb idea and that it would never work. So, yeah, even someone as genius as Mark Cuban thought that was a dumb idea.

If the op had said "Why are Nigerian programmers not creative?"..........then he would have had a point...... but been dumb isn't just good career advice: it's the key to running a successful software business, too.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Nobody: 4:48am On Jul 16, 2020
cdeveloper:
Hey coders what are we bragging about in here, PHP is This .NET is That, Java is Them, Open Source is Boo and on and on we go bragging about things that are very irrelevant. I am an open source advocate and i do most of my development in it. Personally i have a strong dislike for using open source pre-packaged application because it does not give you room to understand the philosophy of a language. Someone once said that learning a programming language does not only ends with learning the syntax and semantics, but more importantly, understanding the philosophy of the language; that way you could sit down and develop applications that people will look at and marvel at the concept behind it, One such application that i have taking time to look at the programming concept is Joomla. I must commend the brains behind that application because that is what i called an real application, every single line of code they wrote had a reason for it and the architecture of Joomla is something those of us who profess to be programmers should study in depth.
The problem is we want to learn programming just to use the knowledge to make money, which is very much ok, but it is a wrong reason for wanting to code. Just imagine that Joomla was to be built by a Nigerian coder, he would not be thinking what he would contribute to the developers community but how much he would make from selling it. The majority of the western developers code for the sake of imprinting there names in history and that is why the do things that we are not likely to do.

I recalled i posted sometime back about building an online payment system that is independent of all those big e-payment giants; it is a concept that would take time to build, but how many of us in the house would be willing to work collaboratively on it? How many would honestly work on it for the sake of delivering us from the powerful monopolistic players in the market that would squeeze every dine from us just to integrate our applications with there gateway and not have ulterior motive of hijacking to code when it is near completion.
It is rather unfortunate. If only we would think like the likes of Eric Raymond ( Open source evangelist), Kevin Mitnick ( Greatest hacker of our time) and the rest who used the languages they have learned to create what was not, then we would not sit here and be bragging about what language we know but be trudging down the street like the Brain in Pinky and The Brain , planning how to take over the world.

I like that your concept of online payment, just reading your comment now, any development?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Sososo(f): 9:01am On Jul 16, 2020
Dumb kwa Are you not generalising here?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by iAmTheJoker: 12:17pm On Jul 16, 2020
Sososo:
Dumb kwa Are you not generalising here?
Lol... You're replying to a post made 12 years ago.
OP might be dead by now cry
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Sososo(f): 6:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
iAmTheJoker:

Lol... You're replying to a post made 12 years ago.
OP might be dead by now cry
you are saying I'm talking to a ghost indirectly grin. Well that's the pros and cons of nairaland
Re: Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? by Deicide: 8:37am On Jul 18, 2020
I guess this thread is no longer relevant today

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer / The Most Difficult Software To Write.... In Existence / Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.