Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,670 members, 7,837,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? (5629 Views)

Brand And Branding Part 3: What Makes A Great Brand? / Are You A Graphic Designer, Are You Into Branding, Logo Design, Photography? / Let's Discuss Branding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by YoshiMaster: 10:49pm On Sep 27, 2013
Also, did you start with an organic "A" first and then clip off parts and add the edges, or did you draw that from scratch.

I really like the edges on the "A" and the "V", trying to replicate it using CS6.

1 Like

Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by erad(m): 11:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
Also, did you start with an organic "A" first and then clip off parts and add the edges, or did you draw that from scratch.

I really like the edges on the "A" and the "V", trying to replicate it using CS6.

I use illustrator CS4... I derived the 'A & V' from a letter 'V'.

1 Like

Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by YoshiMaster: 11:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
erad:

I use illustrator CS4... I derived the 'A & V' from a letter 'V'.

Nice one, so the 'V' is inverted, cool beans. So what about the edges, you just appended those manually?
Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by turl(m): 11:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
kcjazz:

I understand you want to sell your graphic design skills but LOGO is not the most important part of a brand. For all I care Coca Cola the most popular brand in the world has changed its logo so many times. Your brand is your story. Have this beautiful logo and sew terrible shirts, customers won't come back for the logo they will come back for how good your shirt makes them feel.

Does 419 have a logo? Why is it attached to Nigeria?
What is gala's logo or even close up?

what an ignorant opinion. I feel sorry for creatives that have to work with people like you. Try copy anything looking half similar to the coca-cola logo and see how their lawyers bend you over and tear you a new one.
I work with small start-ups here in the UK and the logo is a huge part of the development process. Everything is licensed and examined to the smallest detail.
You won't fully appreciate the value of branding as a creative until you've worked in a corporate setting where you have to use specific colours (down to the exact hex values), font (some bodies like a bank in the UK called NatWest have their own specific font designed just for them), page layout design e.t.c

Truth is, in Nigeria, Africa in general, design is hardly ever appreciated. Look at our govt. websites. Even popular blogs like linda ikeji - ugly user interfaces and a whole lot of other issues.

Although I'll point out one thing this guy said that made sense. It's not just about the logo. If the logo looks good but your product is shite, it still won't go anywhere - and that is what branding is, it's the combination of your appearance and your reputation. Coca cola is respected because of both its visual and qualitative appeal.

As a business, your brand should not and cannot be taken for granted, especially during it's early days when people are still getting to know you.
Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by nnachichi(f): 10:34am On Sep 28, 2013
Pls,where's the third LOGO?Couldnt find it.

1 Like

Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by willycrown: 4:22pm On Sep 28, 2013
kcjazz:

I understand you want to sell your graphic design skills but LOGO is not the most important part of a brand. For all I care Coca Cola the most popular brand in the world has changed its logo so many times. Your brand is your story. Have this beautiful logo and sew terrible shirts, customers won't come back for the logo they will come back for how good your shirt makes them feel.

Unfortunately, the OP just like any average Nigerian does not know the meaning of branding.

To most of us branding is all about visual identities like logo, décor, website and promotional items like “branded” T-shirts, pen, etc. A brand is more than that! Those are just the artifice of branding; a reflection of your brand. Your brand is your overriding business concept.
To quote from a paper I wrote on the same topic sometimes ago:

Strong brands are built on meaning, relevance and, utility and not so much on your logo and marketing message.
When people talk about the Nestle Brand or even the YemKem brand, they are not referring to the visual identity. They are referring to something deeper. As brandSimple defines it, “A brand is whatever the customer thinks when he hears your company’s name.” your brand is simply what you represent in the mind of the customer. And this impression is formed by experience, either directly or indirectly. Thus, First Bank brand represent s dependability in the market because the bank has never been insolvent or associated with insolvency in it’s over a hundred years of operating in the turbulent Nigeria financial industry. Likewise, GT Bank is seen as the epitome of quality in the banking industry not because of its logo or advertisement, but because when you visit GT Bank, you experience quality service

3 Likes

Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by expert1(m): 6:35pm On Sep 28, 2013
kcjazz:

Please TELL him. LOGO is not and will NEVER be the Brand. Though your creativity I appreciate but you should know that we people in the Graphics/Branding field will only tell you to raise your bar while other people from another field will shout wow!
Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by patienz(f): 9:36pm On Sep 28, 2013
turl:
what an ignorant opinion. I feel sorry for creatives that have to work with people like you. Try copy anything looking half similar to the coca-cola logo and see how their lawyers bend you over and tear you a new one.
I work with small start-ups here in the UK and the logo is a huge part of the development process. Everything is licensed and examined to the smallest detail.
You won't fully appreciate the value of branding as a creative until you've worked in a corporate setting where you have to use specific colours (down to the exact hex values), font (some bodies like a bank in the UK called NatWest have their own specific font designed just for them), page layout design e.t.c

Truth is, in Nigeria, Africa in general, design is hardly ever appreciated. Look at our govt. websites. Even popular blogs like linda ikeji - ugly user interfaces and a whole lot of other issues.

Although I'll point out one thing this guy said that made sense. It's not just about the logo. If the logo looks good but your product is shite, it still won't go anywhere - and that is what branding is, it's the combination of your appearance and your reputation. Coca cola is respected because of both its visual and qualitative appeal.

As a business, your brand should not and cannot be taken for granted, especially during it's early days when people are still getting to know you.
At first I was indifferent wen u were insulting dat fellow. Only for me to find out dat u're even worse off! U ended up looking dumb cos u actually mentioned virtually everything u insulted him of.
BTW; we're here to drop our comments, views & exchange ideas & not spew DESTRUCTIVE criticisms. Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by turl(m): 10:55pm On Sep 28, 2013
patienz: .
At first I was indifferent wen u were insulting dat fellow. Only for me to find out dat u're even worse off! U ended up looking dumb cos u actually mentioned virtually everything u insulted him of.
BTW; we're here to drop our comments, views & exchange ideas & not spew DESTRUCTIVE criticisms. Thank u.
English is clearly not your forte. Read what I wrote again and you'll see that the one thing I said he was almost right about was that a brand encompasses both the look and perception of an organisation. Only difference is he completely wrote off the value of the visual appeal of a brand which is wrong and which was what I pointed out.

Read what this guy said:
willycrown:

Unfortunately, the OP just like any average Nigerian does not know the meaning of branding.

To most of us branding is all about visual identities like logo, décor, website and promotional items like “branded” T-shirts, pen, etc. A brand is more than that! Those are just the artifice of branding; a reflection of your brand. Your brand is your overriding business concept.
To quote from a paper I wrote on the same topic sometimes ago:

Strong brands are built on meaning, relevance and, utility and not so much on your logo and marketing message.
When people talk about the Nestle Brand or even the YemKem brand, they are not referring to the visual identity. They are referring to something deeper. As brandSimple defines it, “A brand is whatever the customer thinks when he hears your company’s name.” your brand is simply what you represent in the mind of the customer. And this impression is formed by experience, either directly or indirectly. Thus, First Bank brand represent s dependability in the market because the bank has never been insolvent or associated with insolvency in it’s over a hundred years of operating in the turbulent Nigeria financial industry. Likewise, GT Bank is seen as the epitome of quality in the banking industry not because of its logo or advertisement, but because when you visit GT Bank, you experience quality service

In a nutshell, your brand is simply how people perceive you and that covers everything from your logo, style down to your reputation as a business, your work ethic, quality of service and what not.

I hope that makes sense now.

1 Like

Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by Aywire(m): 6:28am On Sep 29, 2013
You passed the message across perfectly. The first one looks like a logo for an eatery. KFC, TFC or something
Re: Is Quality Worth Its Price In Branding? by Bobopupa: 1:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
@ OP, good topic and nice logos. To other contributors, gud comments ( although we should be more constructive with our criticism). Talkin about branding, can we think of brands we knew from the '80s and how many of them seem to have lasted up to the moment that everyone seems brand aware/concious? I think it's true that Nigerian business don't still recognise the importance/value of branding. I think lack of branding (logos and every other component) is the reason why we don't have (truly indigenous) business that are passed on/survive a generation. Some of us can think of strong indigenous brands (however few they might be) e.g Dangote who have succeeded in creating what many previous commentators have identified as the core components of a brand. For those looking to start up businesses, SMEs and all, please invest in a good business identity system and strive to create a distinctive, world class brands. Study local/foreign business/brands who are currently in the industry you're going into. Nigerian businesses should set goals beyond breaking even or just merely being self sustaining or merely being profitable. Dream up business larger than life but start by giving it a good and distinctive identity and character.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beginners Photography Tutorials (UPDATED 3rd of Nov 2015) / Topics You Think Should Be On The Frontpage / Contact Me For Your 2D/3D Cartoon Character Design And Modelling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.