Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,321 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. (2585 Views)

Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! / Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour / Timing Belt vs Timing Chain: Which is the best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
Just over a week ago, a Nairalander contacted me with regards to her car, a 2002 BMW E46 316. She started the engine, there was a loud báng, and it died. After that, it wouldn't fire up. A diagnostic technician plugged into the OBD port, and suggested a new cam position sensor, as there was no signal.

Now this was replaced, with no change (as I knew there wouldn't be). If the cam sensor fail in service, the engine wouldn't stop, it'll run fine, till it's switched off, then restart wouldn't be possible. And it certainly wouldn't go báng. The only things that would kill the engine with such a noise are a snapped timing chain, conrod letting go, and smashing through the side of the block.

The tech. mis-diagnosed the fault. He simply went by what the OBD interrogation said - no cam position sensor signal. Which is to be expected. If the timing chain snapped, the camshaft wouldn't turn. So naturally there would be no activity. What he failed to do was ascertain why there was an implausible signal.

The car was duly dropped off to my place on a flat-bed truck.

I've been pretty busy this week, but I've now had time (and space) to get the E46 into the garage, and will commence strip-down this afternoon. I'll post pictures of progress as work goes. Quite a few Beemer fans on Nairaland, including Youngboss and Shagati, so this thread may be of interest to them.
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 29, 2013
Subscription opened at 30£. I am the sole agent through which everyone must get their subscription, payment is done by cash only. smiley
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by samuelk(m): 6:20am On Oct 01, 2013
Including Samuelk.......would love to see incase i run into a similar issue, mine's a 2001 E46 330i
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by yungboss(m): 6:37am On Oct 01, 2013
Thanks Siena,
I will follow-up on this, it's quite the 1st time I have heard about timing chain issues with this car. There may have been some sort of unauthorized interference into certain areas of the car prior to now...
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by JUO(m): 9:45am On Oct 01, 2013
bros we need this auto-shop in naija. please consider us. following
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Shagati(m): 12:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
Siena: Quite a few Beemer fans on Nairaland, including Youngboss and Shagati, so this thread may be of interest to them.

Yes, yes sir!
Subscribed.

I hate to hear the words timing chain/belt. sad
Let us see how this plays out on the E46
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by skyfall: 4:06pm On Oct 01, 2013
Siena,

I'm thinking something, your projects are becoming so many it's hard to keep track of them. How about giving them project codes? Like A01, A02, A03 (for Audis); B01, B02 (for BMWs) or something that'd be easy to refer to. I learn a lot from them and i'm sure in future they'll all be mixed up by your folowers.

Thanks and well done!
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
How far siena
Seem no update guess all is good

1 Like

Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Shagati(m): 8:36pm On Nov 18, 2013
Bumped to the top.

And awaiting an update sir!
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Emperoh(m): 9:16pm On Nov 18, 2013
Bumped forward!!!
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by yungboss(m): 9:16pm On Nov 18, 2013
Shagati: Bumped to the top.

lol, waiting for yours in the "e46 325ci rescue" thread
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 18, 2013
Shagati: Bumped to the top.

The broken chain tensioner did more damage than previously anticipated, so a replacement engine was sourced, and fitted. Will make time to upload pictures, and do a write-up.
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Shagati(m): 7:05am On Nov 19, 2013
yungboss:
lol, waiting for yours in the "e46 325ci rescue" thread

cheesy wink
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by Shagati(m): 11:24pm On Nov 19, 2013
Siena:

The broken chain tensioner did more damage than previously anticipated, so a replacement engine was sourced, and fitted. Will make time to upload pictures, and do a write-up.

Cool.
Cheers
Re: Sachi Motorsport** Nairalander's BMW E46**Rebuild After Snapped Timing Chain. by GrownMan(m): 9:16am On Dec 10, 2013
Subscribed and awaiting pix too. Well done sir

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Competent Ford Mechanic For My Ford Focus 2000 Model / "Park Well" Nigeria's CARFAX Debuts / Clearing Cost In Nija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.