Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know (1419 Views)

5 Common Mistakes Nigerian Job Seekers Make / Job Seekers Need To Be Able To Interpret Jargons Used In Job Ads And Interviews / Job Seekers: What Course Did You Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by Basic(m): 12:53pm On Oct 02, 2013
[b]1. Being a perfect match for the job description doesn't mean you'll get the job

SUCCESS TIP: Don't just highlight your skills an capabilities in your CV and application letter. Give instances in the past where you used them to achieve great results. And ensure that you include only skills that are relevant to the position you're applying for.

2. Most CVs end up in the trash bin after the first glance

SUCCESS TIP:Tailor your CV to each job position you're applying for. This may seem tedious, but it's key to getting a job in this tight economy, as it convinces hiring managers that you're serious about getting the job.

3. Not all CVs are checked

SUCCESS TIP: Write your application letter in a way that makes a powerful first impression.

4. Most application letters aren't read to the end

SUCCESS TIP: Include in your introduction paragraph every piece of information that proves your suitability for the job.

5. Being eloquent at the interview doesn’t mean you'll get the job

SUCCESS TIP: Prepare adequately for the interview and avoid irrelevant answers.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by marvelling(m): 2:08pm On Oct 02, 2013
Yikes!!!
Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by Basic(m): 11:49am On Oct 03, 2013
More tips coming...
Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by Basic(m): 9:36pm On Oct 03, 2013
Another secret: If you have an employee of the company you're applying to as one of your references, you'll have brighter chances of getting the job. Hiring managers love it when you already know some people in the company.
Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by day0(m): 11:01pm On Oct 03, 2013
Basic: Another secret: If you have an employee of the company you're applying to as one of your references, you'll have brighter chances of getting the job. Hiring managers love it when you already know some people in the company.

Thanks a lot, I find your previously highlighted points insightful. However are you sure about this last point you've made?
Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by rasheedow(m): 3:44am On Oct 04, 2013
day0:

Thanks a lot, I find your previously highlighted points insightful. However are you sure about this last point you've made?
welldone, but for this last one WAEC does'nt want applicant who relate with dere staff.
Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by Basic(m): 6:04am On Oct 04, 2013
day0:

Well, so I was told by a recruiter for one of the big companies. Of course, it may not apply everywhere.
Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by Basic(m): 6:07am On Oct 04, 2013
rasheedow: welldone, but for this last one WAEC does'nt want applicant who relate with dere staff.
Yeah, each organization has its rules. But I need to get something clear: what do you mean by "relate with" their staff?
Do you mean "interact with" or have "familial ties with?"
Kindly clarify.
Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by Basic(m): 3:32pm On Oct 04, 2013
If you want a promo copy of my new ebook (How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria), send me an email asap: basicfreelance(at)gmail(dot)com
Re: 5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know by Basic(m): 8:55am On Oct 05, 2013
Another tip:

Some overly analytical employers would check your social media profiles or Google your name. So, watch what you write online, especially if you're still searching for a job.

(1) (Reply)

Oil & Gas Jobs In Lagos For OLT Electrical & Instrumentation Engineer / Harvard Consult (Vanguard) / Medicore Resource Company Test Invitation....anybody Got The Text?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.