Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,151 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Some Nigerian-mangled English Words - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Some Nigerian-mangled English Words (9323 Views)

Confirmed: Side Boob, YOLO, Cray Are Now English Words / What Is The English Words For These Yoruba Words? / Eight(8) English Words Derived From The Names Of People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by 1MCN: 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
AJUWAHYA: While I was growing up I used to ask my dad the meaning of this word (cos I thought it was Hausa) as I heard it often from the mouth of all my serving NYSC siblings and neighbours. Even after graduating from the university it took me years to come to know the real meaning. If you’re a serving corps member or a prospective one, here is the meaning of that word—AS YOU WERE! Am sure our senior brothers who served the Nigerian Army in the colonial era obviously could not understand what the Oyibo man Commander was saying during parades so they just coined it as they imagined. So, it is AS YOU WERE, as in STAY AS YOU WERE and not AJUWAHYA.

DOMOT: If you grew up in the city or its suburbs you definitely know the word. Abeg, nothing like ‘domot’ for Oyiboman language. The actual word is DOOR MOUTH. I hope your mother didn’t fight because of domot for that una face-me-I-face-you house for Lagos. Lol.

SOFRI: You hear it when our own Flavour N’Abania says in his song Ada Ada. He sings, ‘babe sofri dey cool mu temper oo, Ada’. The word is SOFTLY and nothing like ‘sofri’ in the English lexicon.

COMOT: Am sure by now you can work it out by yourself. This word does not exist in the English dictionary; it is simply a corruption of the two English words COME OUT. But you know nah, 9ja no get time for long thing! Lol

OSHEBE: Chai! This one is the most painful for me. If I tell you what it means you’d never ever say it again in your life! You remember the last evening when a car ran into a gutter and a group of guys were hired to come and lift the tyres off the trap. Each of you held the car chassis and someone shouted OSHEBE, and everyone lifted?
The white colonials saw Black Africans as Apes (but that have a sort of amazing physical strength). When they fix the black slaves to labour, they stand sentry beside them with a whip and simply command their savages saying, APES OBEY! Now, you see? OSHEBE simply means APES OBEY. Our elder brothers and sisters never heard the words right; neither did they even know what that means.

You can add your own.

More dey come.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by 1MCN: 3:38pm On Oct 02, 2013
Need I tell you that ABEG means I BEG?
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by 1MCN: 3:42pm On Oct 02, 2013
And NAK means KNOCK? You remember Terry G's Nak you Akpako?
Although there's a word as knack, but this means far a different sense than the 9ja nak means
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
Fanimorous

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by 1MCN: 8:58pm On Oct 02, 2013
derespect: Fanimorous
Honestly, I've not heard this one for the first time. Doesn't exist in our everyday pidgin here. Abi na for your area wey dem dey use am alone? Tell us what it means please.
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by skyscraperTM(m): 10:06pm On Oct 02, 2013
reserved¡
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by skyscraperTM(m): 10:07pm On Oct 02, 2013
fanimorous"—a neologism formed by adding the English suffix "-ous" to the Yorùbá wordfanimnra, meaning to be intimate with someone, or to draw something¡

1MCN:
Honestly, I've not heard this one for the first time. Doesn't exist in our everyday pidgin here. Abi na for your area wey dem dey use am alone? Tell us what it means please.
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 02, 2013
1. "Helma" is the corrupted version of the word "Headman". This originated in the middle belt (Jos) during the hey days of tin mining.
2. "Angul" instead "Angle".
3. "Comon" from "Come on".

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by 1MCN: 2:57pm On Oct 03, 2013
mazado: 1. "Helma" is the corrupted version of the word "Headman". This originated in the middle belt (Jos) during the hey days of tin mining.
2. "Angul" instead "Angle".
3. "Comon" from "Come on".
I never heard about the 'Helma' word for the first time before now. Thanks for that addition.
As for Common, what is funny is that it's even a curse word here!
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by 1MCN: 2:59pm On Oct 03, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
fanimorous"—a neologism formed by adding the English suffix "-ous" to the Yorùbá wordfanimnra, meaning to be intimate with someone, or to draw something¡

Oh, thanks for that addendum
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by nbright: 9:36am On Mar 18, 2016
skyscraperTM:

What about attractive, can fanimorous be translated as attractive?
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by godoluwa(m): 9:26pm On Jan 29, 2017
APES OBEY, thunder faya whitemen!

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by Rexceedo: 3:10pm On May 11, 2017
godoluwa:
APES OBEY, thunder faya whitemen!
Sir I sent you a mail...!
Re: Some Nigerian-mangled English Words by SjMbula(m): 2:53pm On Jun 11, 2019
Fanimorous
oh my Gawd! This is bokoharamous

(1) (Reply)

Airtel Wins Award For ‘best Use Of Storytelling’ At Seras 2019 / 'Torn' - A Story / 23 Private/public Libraries In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.