Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization (881 Views)

A Comprehensive Guide To Expressionengine Website Optimization / Let's Learn PHP / Reliable Web Hosting Is The Key Of Reliable Website Optimization Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization by yawatide(f): 8:38pm On Jun 27, 2008
So, I don't know about you all but I have been very frustrted lately when at a cyber cafe. I try to open many naija-based sites and it takes forever. So I have been motivated to come up with a tutorial, if you will, on things you could do to speed up your sites a little. For this "tutorial", I will be using the site: http://www.basepointconsultants.com/

Please note: I am not deliberately picking on this site developed by one of us for fun-making or bashing purposes. It just happens to be the first site I found. Also, this isn't to say I am a saint though I am within 95% at the very least of practicing what I am about to preach.

Let the LEARNing begin (for more: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/):

1) There are 17 separate requests to the server, 15 of which are images. Needless to say, a navigation system using CSS rollovers (yes, you can set backgrounds with CSS rollovers) could have eliminated 12 of those images (that is 6 for regular state and 6 for hover state).

2) The largest image is almost 30K (http://www.basepointconsultants.com/home_r1_c1.jpg). I probably would have created a DIV with a black background, made the textual parts actual text, and for the blue gradient, used CSS to position it absolutely to the right. As for the "base point", I would have made that the background of the DIV.

3) There are 16 separate calls to a spacer.gif file. CSS margins/paddings could have taken care of this.

4) Separating the JS and CSS code into separate files would also help reduce the load time of the pages

5) Addendum to #4 above: Going for a table-less layout would have further reduced the load time on the pages.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Again, I am not bashing the owner of this site. I am only trying to highlight areas of improvement that would have resulted in reducing the load time of pages on the site significantly. As I find other sites and have the time, I will probably give another Nairaland seminar. Until then, your comments/suggestions/concerns are welcome.

Again (I know, second time), this is a LEARNing exercise and not a bashing exercise.

Thanks.
Re: Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization by tomaagy(m): 9:56pm On Jun 27, 2008
hey thanks for the tip I think we're all growing to bridge the didgital devide but we'll get there so I checked out a site I designed on the optimizer and my results were fair just some mild cautions i'll pay attention to, thank God I used css, so where exactly are you in I J cos I'm also Ij based maybe we could learn from eachother I always look forward to learning,
Re: Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization by yawatide(f): 11:10pm On Jun 27, 2008
@tomaagy
Thanks for the compliments. I am motivated to put up more.

I am from Ijebu Ode but am not there currently. I should be back in a few months. Will keep u posted.
Re: Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization by OmniPotens(m): 8:22am On Jun 28, 2008
Thanks for this optimization service. This will actually help especially me watch well and analyze my works before making it public. I think more on this will be appreciated.
Re: Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization by tomaagy(m): 7:21pm On Jun 29, 2008
Thanks but y the name (Yawa) I guess u know wat it means
anyway I'm also not in IJ for now i'm on IT in Lagos @ NIIT so maybe e'll get to meet or chat on day soon,
Respect

Teach more we may get to learn from you
Re: Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization by smartsoft(m): 8:38pm On Jun 29, 2008
thanks ya wa !
Re: Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization by yawatide(f): 10:45pm On Jun 29, 2008
I will definitely post something else. I guess I will call such lessons, "The Letz learn something series" cool

Y the name? Marketing is all about being catchy. Based on the name I chose, even if i were not to post a thing for 6 months and/or someone was looking for someone to do a web project for them, chances are, they would remember my name more than any other tongue
Re: Let's Learn Something: Website Optimization by tomaagy(m): 9:51pm On Jul 07, 2008
point taken and its such a great camo tooo feel you jare

(1) (Reply)

Skye Bank Website Adjudged 2nd Best Overall / Top Nigerian Bloggers Discuss Nairaland, Facebook And More At Nokia Luncheon / Google Adwords For Sale For Half The Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.