Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,505 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! (7189 Views)

University Of Nigeria, Enugu Campus Faculty Of Law Time-table For Next Session / Nig Law Sch Abuja:bar 1 / Off-campus Student Job: Two Naija Students Face Deportation From Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 02, 2013
Pls,I need information,advice,tips ,and suggestions about how to survive in Enugu law school.Am at a loss at what I need to buy,as in provisions,the courses,dress code for females and kind of hair styles allowed,survival tips and campus life there..also If u have been called to bar,pls advice on how to prepare and pass the bar finals in flying colours.thanks a lot.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
The dress code varies slighty, depending on the campus you find yourself. However, whatever may be the case, do go along with a few pairs of plain white shirts and skirts(without frills, strips, embroidery, etc), and at least, a black bag and a pair of black shoes as well. You should always be on conservative hairstyles(nothing huge and coloured).
Cooking isnt allowed in the hostels( all campuses), and in some campuses, irons, boiling rings arnt allowed.
Concerning provisions, you can buy before leaving home, but you will always get inside the campus, just in case you cant.
As regards your textbooks/materials, wait till you get to lawschl- you'd be given the curriculum for the courses, and the bookshop in the campus stock the prescribed books.
How to survive in lawschl? Let me give you gems I relied on while I was there. I first of all put all my weight on God, cos the work load in lawschl was one I, as many others had never borne before. Secondly, I had a mind of my own(still do)- I tried as much as possible not to be swayed by any craze(for books, cliqs, etc), unless I was sure it was going to be of benefit to me and my grade at the end of the day. Furthermore, I had to be hardened when it came to those study/presentation groups we were placed in by lawschl itself, cos discussion groups do little or nothing for me, and took up my personal reading time as well. So what did I do? I went AWOL on the group when I became 100% sure that it was a distraction for me, despite the threat of getting a query from lawschl. Moral? Always be strong and do what's best for you- within reason of course.

Something else I never joked with also was the books I used. PLEASE CHOOSE/BUY/GET GOOD BOOKS. You r exams dont start the day you get into the exam hall with your pen, they start the day you start picking your books. Dont blindly go after or solely depend on abridged books, materials, but arm yourself with the curriculum and compare with and make sure it falls on all fours with a textbook before buying.

Then, please dont entertain the spirit of fear at any point.

That was about it for me, and God did show himself strong. All the best. And just incase you have any more questions, why not?
Sorry about the lack of paragraphs!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 03, 2013
thanks ezeed..am so grateful..
pls I need more tips and advice,esp on how to pass my bar finals..pictures painted of it are so scary..and I want to pass it once and for all.am willing to put in my best.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 03, 2013
The truth is, you'l be shown more of such pictures, especially when you get there and start seeing some know-it-alls. But like I said before, please dont entertain the spirit of fear. Why? All you need in your arsenal are ur good books, good planning and all. From the University, I bet you already know what readind plan/environment, etc is best 4you, as such, do adopt same (with adjustments as become necessary).

In preparing for the exams, do make sure you read in between the lines of ur books/materials, cos dey have a way of sourcing for questions from hidden places in the books. It myt also help to make notes from ur textbooks, cos dey myt come in handy especially when it is very close to the exams. You arnt required to know d facts of cases in lawschl. What you need is their names and principles. When you use them as authority, you just state d name of the case. However, there are special case which facts you should get to know, cos you may be asked to simply put down their facts and principles in exams.
Note that dey like exceptions to principles ALOT!
Also make sure you get the past questions, cos they'r very helpful and even contain some things you might not get in any text book, and there you'l find how to answer questions in the law school format. Also practice speed using your past questions. Getting a laptop before going might no be a bad idea.
While i was there, I realised I understood what was being taught in class better when I had at least glanced/gone through it before coming to class (I tried my best to always be far ahead of them. Cos of the time factor, I didnt read at the pace of the lectures), so that might help you too.

Try and be attune with your intuition. Why? Cos there were one or two things they set in our exams which wrnt in the curriculum or textbooks either, but God just helped me cos I had earlier read them from materials I got from someone from an earlier set. So if you find something in a material and you are being nudged to read it, please do, even though that particular subhead may not be in the curriculum. Still on same issue, please when it is time for revision before the exams, you myt be given AOC for the different courses. Fine, take them, go through them, but dont deviate from your own plan of what you want to concentrate on, cos dey myt tell you, ''dont worry about this part, it wont come out in the exam'', but when you get to the exam hall, you get to see it as the number 1 question.
Lastly, just start reading early when you get there.
Then, dnt forget your drafting too. Very important.

All in all, its an experience one will always remember. Though they get to train you like soldiers, but its still very exciting I tell you (especially when you have the microphone coming your way during lectures, and your heart is pounding fast cos you dnt know d answer. *smiles*).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 03, 2013
wow....thanks again ezeed..I really needed the info to know what's before me...your advice is priceless.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Anaskie(m): 11:51pm On Oct 13, 2013
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Anaskie(m): 11:52pm On Oct 13, 2013
Blackbeauty, wat campus were u posted to? Pray against Kano and Yola campuses.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 14, 2013
I have not been posted o..our school just got admitted today.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by christejames(m): 2:09pm On Oct 14, 2013
Also dont forget a bag of garri it would go a long way in helping u out, u knw. And gv God d glory thanks!
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 14, 2013
lol...OK.I won't forget the garri.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Claroo(m): 9:00pm On Oct 14, 2013
9ice Thread....been able 2 learn here abt d NLS, Thanks
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by dheaven: 9:18pm On Oct 14, 2013
Fear is man's greatest enemy. If you can conquer fear and hear say you shall finish with good grade.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 15, 2013
just got posted to Enugu campus....please how is the accommodation, environment,dress code and academic life like there...please your suggestions and advice will be appreciated.. I want to be well prepared..Also,can I wear navy blue suit or black striped suit there..thanks
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Claroo(m): 10:41am On Oct 15, 2013
There is enough Accomodation for all Students and I heard it is one of d best campus.....don't knw abt d dress code 4 Ladies.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by peddy231(m): 1:12pm On Oct 15, 2013
Hi Op, was posted to Enugu campus too
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 19, 2013
Wow, Blackbeauty, congrats. I went to the Enugu campus too, and I never wished otherwise. It's a very serene and calm place.
As per dress code there, nothing stripped is allowed. + d other stuff I mentioned earlier about it. You'l enjoy the place. Wishing you God's best.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 20, 2013
thanks ezeed..can I wear navy blue suit.. cos my that's my best suit.also do they allow irons and electric kettles?How many girls to a room .I was told 4 people to one room...is it true?
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 20, 2013
I sincerely cant remember if navy blue suit's allowed, but just carry a pair, at least, of black suit.
Irons and electric kettles are contrabands, but abeg, me I hid my iron in my box ohh and carried it. Lol. (if you choose 2 do so, always keep it in ur box or somewhere locked/safe, when you're done/leaving your room).
And lock ur door whilst using it.
As per the number of persons in a room, they have 3 room sizes over there- 4 man room, then the 6 and 8 man rooms. Most times, the rooms may not even be filled to capacity.There was this very nice man who was in charge of allocating us rooms then, he gave us the opportunity to choose the rooms we wanted (especially those who resumed early), so just in case he's still there, just go around to survey some rooms and make ur choice before you go for the application.

1 Like

Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 5:48am On Oct 21, 2013
thanks ezeed..u have been wonderful....I am resuming today..see you at the bar by this time next year.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by benity: 7:24am On Oct 21, 2013
Wat skul are u from at least u even had the hope of going these year I know some friends who were not able to go. I wish u God's best in your stay there
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 21, 2013
smileyOhh Dear, congrats once again. No wahala, we're waiting for you, and God's behind you, so, best of the best!
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by taraji5: 11:51pm On Apr 15, 2016
Hi. Ill be going to law school(by His grace) at the end of this year, and im having problems choosing a campus. Not just based on accommodation, but academics as well. Can i get some advice concerning this? Thanks.
Re: Advice A Nigerian Law Sch Enugu campus student! by oduz: 5:38am On Feb 02, 2020
Nice & useful thread ...

Kudos to OP cool

(1) (Reply)

Futminna Postgraduate Experience (seeking Info) / Issues Logging In My Jamb Profile / UNIJOS Promise To Reward Any Student With Info On The Cause Of The Fire Outbreak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.