Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,907 members, 7,952,654 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:18 PM

Movies: Making Intelligent Fools - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movies: Making Intelligent Fools (692 Views)

April Fools' Day: Origin And History / Yoruba Movies Making Waves On The Internet And Should Be Encouraged / Movies Making Box Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 6:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
Ok, seriously, I actually mean that as a question. What do you think? Are movies making us smart morrons or what?

How many decisions have you ever made because of something you saw in a movie? How many things do you take for granted to be true just because some movie represented it thus? How many arguments have you made based on some "fact" you pulled from a movie? How many "facts" found in movies did you ever bother to check out and prove?

I think movies and novels are invaliable mines of good information about all kinds of things and I think that storytellers improve from generation to generation, but I think that these very wonderful things are the very reasons for which we so easily believe the most outrageous things in our days. Never has the world had as much information as we do now, but never has mankind been more gullible either.

What do you think? Are movies/novels making smart fools of us?

smiley

1 Like

Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by VillageBoi(m): 7:40am On Oct 04, 2013
Ihedinobi: What do you think? Are movies/novels making smart fools of us?

Absolutey not! People that are 'fooled' or go around quoting as 'fact' something they saw or heard in a movie were 'fools' from time. It's not rocket science.
We also, notoriously, never take responsibility for our own actions - it's always a case of 'they said'... yet we can never identify the 'source they'... we can very, very stupid; no be bigz deal grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by sholay2011(m): 3:13pm On Oct 04, 2013
VillageBoi:

Absolutey not! People that are 'fooled' or go around quoting as 'fact' something they saw or heard in a movie were 'fools' from time. It's not rocket science.
We also, notoriously, never take responsibility for our own actions - it's always a case of 'they said'... yet we can never identify the 'source they'... we can very, very stupid; no be bigz deal grin
Well said. cool
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
VillageBoi:

grin grin grin I love the first bolded part!

@the 2nd part, It's typically and religiously Nigerian grin sad
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Afam4eva(m): 3:37pm On Oct 04, 2013
I always endeavor to separate the wheat(fact) from the chaff(fiction) by doing a little research on an information that i heard in a movie. But at times, i just quote it verbatim to sound intelligent especially since majority of Nigerians are not widely read and wouldn't counter my assertion grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Briareos(m): 3:38pm On Oct 04, 2013
Afam4eva: I always endeavor to separate the wheat(fact) from the chaff(fiction) by doing a little research on an information that i heard in a movie. But at times, i just quote it verbatim to sound intelligent especially since majority of Nigerians are not widely read and wouldn't counter my assertion grin

I know your type. angry
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Afam4eva(m): 3:41pm On Oct 04, 2013
Briareos:

I know your type. angry
How?
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by UjSizzle(f): 3:50pm On Oct 04, 2013
Afam4eva: I always endeavor to separate the wheat(fact) from the chaff(fiction) by doing a little research on an information that i heard in a movie.But at times, i just quote it verbatim to sound intelligent especially since majority of Nigerians are not widely read and wouldn't counter my assertion grin
grin grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by sholay2011(m): 3:56pm On Oct 04, 2013
uj_sizzle:
grin grin
Afam funny I swear. grin grin grin Smh.
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 04, 2013
Afam4eva: I always endeavor to separate the wheat(fact) from the chaff(fiction) by doing a little research on an information that i heard in a movie. But at times, i just quote it verbatim to sound intelligent especially since majority of Nigerians are not widely read and wouldn't counter my assertion grin

Jesu! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

But no try am with me ooo....If not, na google go settle our argument angry
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Afam4eva(m): 4:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
speedyboi:

Jesu! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

But no try am with me ooo....If not, na google go settle our argument angry
I know the kind of people i try it with. I measure people's intellectual prowess before i engage them in a discussion or argument. If the person is vastly read, i'll respect myself but if the person is not, i'll torture the person with facts that are not factual. Even for my family, i don lie tire. They know i'm vastly read but won't know when i'm saying the truth or lying. They just swallow everything hook, line and sinker grin grin grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
I know the kind of people i try it with. I measure people's intellectual prowess before i engage them in a discussion or argument. If the person is vastly read, i'll respect myself but if the person is not, i'll torture the person with facts that are not factual. Even for my family, i don lie tire. They know i'm vastly read but won't know when i'm saying the truth or lying. They just swallow everything hook, line and sinker grin grin grin

Chai grin grin grin grin grin grin. This Afam na bad pesin shocked shocked shocked shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. I don laugh tire cheesy grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2013
VillageBoi:

Bros, wharrabout those who grew up on movies? grin Kids are impressionable and it takes a deal of exposure to shake people loose of childhood impressions. Where do you think the theory that we were seeded by aliens came from? Or many of those silly urban legends? I know there are silly adults, but some adherents of such silly things took either those notions or the notion that movies tell you only the facts on as kids and still haven't been disabused of them.
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 6:08pm On Oct 04, 2013
@Afam, you be bad guy!!!! grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by VillageBoi(m): 10:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
Ihedinobi:
Bros, wharrabout those who grew up on movies? grin Kids are impressionable and it takes a deal of exposure to shake people loose of childhood impressions. Where do you think the theory that we were seeded by aliens came from? Or many of those silly urban legends? I know there are silly adults, but some adherents of such silly things took either those notions or the notion that movies tell you only the facts on as kids and still haven't been disabused of them.

Lol, my guy it will take a ridiculously stu.pid child to believe that a fish or sponge (be it Bob or Bobelina) can talk... but then again nature takes care of that crap... or you have not heard of the Darwin Awards yet? Teehee grin grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 04, 2013
VillageBoi:

Lol, my guy it will take a ridiculously stu.pid child to believe that a fish or sponge (be it Bob or Bobelina) can talk... but then again nature takes care of that crap... or you have not heard of the Darwin Awards yet? Teehee grin grin
LoL
grin
Chai...
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 12:37am On Oct 05, 2013
VillageBoi:

Lol. I mean more subtle notions na.
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by VillageBoi(m): 12:59am On Oct 05, 2013
Ihedinobi:
Lol. I mean more subtle notions na.
I know what you mean bro, I'm just kidding around grin

Afam4eva said - "I always endeavor to separate the wheat(fact) from the chaff(fiction) by doing a little research on an information that i heard in a movie."

Even on this site you realise some people are so lazy (and possibly too stu.pid to carry out the most basic research whatsoever) that they end up ask questions or saying things that make you go "Nah, this person cannot be for real."

As a kid I used to think cats do not like eating fish heads because in cartoons and comics that fish head is always looking persin eye sharply but a very simple trial led me to conclude that 'oyinbo' dey tell 'colourful' lie... e no hard... na film trick lol.

And in this day and age when almost any info dey at the click of a button why people still mumu? I can't answer that question but sometimes complete idiots think everyone else is a complete idi.ot too.

Eg - The height of 'idiotism' hahahaha - https://www.nairaland.com/1352831/picture-snake-three-heads

So my people I beg una make una join Praying & Fasting Plc so that all stu.pid genes can be removed from... Nigeria... ahem, we hail thee!
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 1:11am On Oct 05, 2013
^^^^^^^^^lol...you still remember that topic. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I just checked the guy's profile and I saw another topic 'Basket holding water' cheesy
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by VillageBoi(m): 6:53am On Oct 05, 2013
speedyboi: ^^^^^^^^^lol...you still remember that topic. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I just checked the guy's profile and I saw another topic 'Basket holding water' cheesy

Hahahaha seriously? Make I go check lol. How bodi nah my broda?

EDIT: Just had a look; don't mind him... always claiming to have 'seen' something somewhere.
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 05, 2013
VillageBoi:
I know what you mean bro, I'm just kidding around grin

Afam4eva said - "I always endeavor to separate the wheat(fact) from the chaff(fiction) by doing a little research on an information that i heard in a movie."

Even on this site you realise some people are so lazy (and possibly too stu.pid to carry out the most basic research whatsoever) that they end up ask questions or saying things that make you go "Nah, this person cannot be for real."

As a kid I used to think cats do not like eating fish heads because in cartoons and comics that fish head is always looking persin eye sharply but a very simple trial led me to conclude that 'oyinbo' dey tell 'colourful' lie... e no hard... na film trick lol.

And in this day and age when almost any info dey at the click of a button why people still mumu? I can't answer that question but sometimes complete idiots think everyone else is a complete idiot.
Eg - The height of 'idiotism' hahahaha - https://www.nairaland.com/1352831/picture-snake-three-heads

So my people I beg una make una join Praying & Fasting Plc so that all stu.pid genes can be removed from... Nigeria... ahem, we hail thee!
Finally some people wicked sha grin grin grin grin

I don sign up! Fasting mode activated! grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 05, 2013
speedyboi: ^^^^^^^^^lol...you still remember that topic. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Na man on mission be dat ni undecided grin grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by VillageBoi(m): 11:44am On Oct 05, 2013
Ihedinobi:
I don sign up! Fasting mode activated! grin

Aaaah, no sign up for those places o... yawa go gas.
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 05, 2013
How many decisions have you ever made because of something you saw in a movie? How many things do you take for granted to be true just because some movie represented it thus? How many arguments have you made based on some "fact" you pulled from a movie? How many "facts" found in movies did you ever bother to check out and prove?

Many. cheesy Because I like it that wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! grin
For example, in Spartacus, the series made it look as if he had less men than the Romans. But from my research he actually had more men. I have refused to 'beweiveeee' that! angry angry grin tongue Doesn't go well with my hero Spartacus. cool kiss
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 05, 2013
stillwater:

Many. cheesy Because I like it that wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! grin
For example, in Spartacus, the series made it look as if he had less men than the Romans. But from my research he actually had more men. I have refused to 'beweiveeee' that! angry angry grin tongue Doesn't go well with my hero Spartacus. cool kiss
Lol grin grin grin grin
Re: Movies: Making Intelligent Fools by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 05, 2013
VillageBoi:

Aaaah, no sign up for those places o... yawa go gas.

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Which Of These American Comedy Series Do You Like Most? / Can Someone Help Me With The Title Of This Movie? / Idris Regrets Going After Goiste

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.