Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,046 members, 7,835,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Is John The Baptist, Elijah Of I Kings ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is John The Baptist, Elijah Of I Kings ? (575 Views)

The Enigma Of John The Baptist / Primate Elijah Ayodele's 2016 Prophecies: Corruption Will Fight Buhari / Youths Set Baptist Church Ablaze In Kano (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is John The Baptist, Elijah Of I Kings ? by misto(m): 1:34pm On Oct 03, 2013
was it that prophet Elijah was taken away by God (he did not experience death but was taken by chariot of fire) to be later sent back by God as John the baptist to prepare the way for our lord Jesus christ. According to prophecies by prophet malachi in malachi 4:5,6
5 Behold i will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great dreadful day of the lord.
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I should come and smite the earth with a curse.
According to Jesus christ also after being to the mount of transfiguration with Peter,James and John in matthew 17:10-13
10 And his disciples asked him, saying, why then say the scribes that Elijah must first come?
11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elijah truly shall first come, and restore all things
12 But I say unto you, that Elijah is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the son of man suffer of them.
13 Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the baptist.
Which means Elijah was sent back to the world to prepare the way for Our Lord Jesus Christ. And was beheaded by king herod which means only Enoch did not experience death in the scriptures.
I need mature comments to shed more light. Thank u.
Re: Is John The Baptist, Elijah Of I Kings ? by yemisolar(m): 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2013
John the baptist was only a 'type' of elijah. The scripture you quoted actually means 'one with the spirit or anointing of elijah' this simply means the aunction on the two men were alike in a lot of ways.

However, they are two different human beings. I believe whem we get to heaven we will see the two of them.

Another analogy can be found in the two witnesses mentioned inthe book of revelation. The two of them are called 'moses and elijah' of course we know from the story of the rich man and lazarus that the dead cannot preach to the living. So theologians believe they are two human beings with the annointing of moses and elijah respectively.

Thirdly, on the mountain of transfiguration, there was moses and elijah, moses representing the law and elijah representing the prophets. These two are a type of the two major way though which God has spoken to mankind. So they are two different poeple.
Re: Is John The Baptist, Elijah Of I Kings ? by misto(m): 4:34pm On Oct 03, 2013
yemi solar: John the baptist was only a 'type' of elijah. The scripture you quoted actually means 'one with the spirit or anointing of elijah' this simply means the aunction on the two men were alike in a lot of ways.

However, they are two different human beings. I believe whem we get to heaven we will see the two of them.

Another analogy can be found in the two witnesses mentioned inthe book of revelation. The two of them are called 'moses and elijah' of course we know from the story of the rich man and lazarus that the dead cannot preach to the living. So theologians believe they are two human beings with the annointing of moses and elijah respectively.

Thirdly, on the mountain of transfiguration, there was moses and elijah, moses representing the law and elijah representing the prophets. These two are a type of the two major way though which God has spoken to mankind. So they are two different poeple.
thanks for your explanation

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Treat Your Old Or Torn Bible / Abbas Meets Pope, Invites Him To Visit Holy Land / You Dont Know Which Angel Is Passing By, They Might Be Recording What You Say

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.