Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,282 members, 7,818,957 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus (902 Views)

Sinead O'connor Declares 'music Is Dead' After Rolling Stone Puts Kim Kardashian / Legendary Singer Sinead O'connor Calls Kim K A **** / 'you're A Danger To Women!' Sinead O'connor Blasts Miley Cyrus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by topazjosh(m): 1:21pm On Oct 04, 2013
Dear Miley,
I wasn't going to write this letter, but today i've
been dodging phone calls from various newspapers
who wished me to remark upon your having said in
Rolling Stone your Wrecking Ball video was
designed to be similar to the one for Nothing
Compares … So this is what I need to say … And it
is said in the spirit of motherliness and with love.
I am extremely concerned for you that those around
you have led you to believe, or encouraged you in
your own belief, that it is in any way 'cool' to be
naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos. It
is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent
by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether its the
music business or yourself doing the pimping.
Nothing but harm will come in the long run, from
allowing yourself to be exploited, and it is
absolutely NOT in ANY way an empowerment of
yourself or any other young women, for you to send
across the message that you are to be valued (even
by you) more for your sexual appeal than your
obvious talent.
I am happy to hear I am somewhat of a role model
for you and I hope that because of that you will pay
close attention to what I am telling you.
The music business doesn't give a shit about you, or
any of us. They will prostitute you for all you are
worth, and cleverly make you think its what YOU
wanted … and when you end up in rehab as a result
of being prostituted, 'they' will be sunning
themselves on their yachts in Antigua, which they
bought by selling your body and you will find
yourself very alone.
None of the men ogling you give a shit about you
either, do not be fooled. Many's the woman mistook
lust for love. If they want you sexually that doesn't
mean they give a Bleep about you. All the more true
when you unwittingly give the impression you don't
give much of a Bleep about yourself. And when you
employ people who give the impression they don't
give much of a Bleep about you either. No one who
cares about you could support your being pimped …
and that includes you yourself.
Yes, I'm suggesting you don't care for yourself. That
has to change. You ought be protected as a precious
young lady by anyone in your employ and anyone
around you, including you. This is a dangerous
world. We don't encourage our daughters to walk
around naked in it because it makes them prey for
animals and less than animals, a distressing
majority of whom work in the music industry and
it's associated media.
You are worth more than your body or your sexual
appeal. The world of showbiz doesn't see things that
way, they like things to be seen the other way,
whether they are magazines who want you on their
cover, or whatever … Don't be under any illusions …
ALL of them want you because they're making
money off your youth and your beauty … which they
could not do except for the fact your youth makes
you blind to the evils of show business. If you have
an innocent heart you can't recognise those who do
not.
I repeat, you have enough talent that you don't need
to let the music business make a prostitute of you.
You shouldn't let them make a fool of you either.
Don't think for a moment that any of them give a
flying Bleep about you. They're there for the money…
we're there for the music. It has always been that
way and it will always be that way. The sooner a
young lady gets to know that, the sooner she can be
REALLY in control.
You also said in Rolling Stone that your look is
based on mine. The look I chose, I chose on purpose
at a time when my record company were
encouraging me to do what you have done. I felt I
would rather be judged on my talent and not my
looks. I am happy that I made that choice, not least
because I do not find myself on the proverbial rag
heap now that I am almost 47 yrs of age … which
unfortunately many female artists who have based
their image around their sexuality, end up on when
they reach middle age.
Real empowerment of yourself as a woman would
be to in future refuse to exploit your body or your
sexuality in order for men to make money from you.
I needn't even ask the question … I've been in the
business long enough to know that men are making
more money than you are from you getting naked.
Its really not at all cool. And its sending dangerous
signals to other young women. Please in future say
no when you are asked to prostitute yourself. Your
body is for you and your boyfriend. It isn't for every
spunk-spewing dirtbag on the net, or every greedy
record company executive to buy his mistresses
diamonds with.
As for the shedding of the Hannah Montana image
… whoever is telling you getting naked is the way to
do that does absolutely NOT respect your talent, or
you as a young lady. Your records are good enough
for you not to need any shedding of Hannah
Montana. She's waaaaaaay gone by now … Not
because you got naked but because you make great
records.
Whether we like it or not, us females in the industry
are role models and as such we have to be extremely
careful what messages we send to other women.
The message you keep sending is that its somehow
cool to be prostituted … its so not cool Miley … its
dangerous. Women are to be valued for so much
more than their sexuality. We aren't merely objects
of desire. I would be encouraging you to send
healthier messages to your peers … that they and
you are worth more than what is currently going on
in your career. Kindly fire any motherfucker who
hasn't expressed alarm, because they don't care
about you.

www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/03/sinead-o-connor-open-letter-miley-cyrus?fb_source=feed&ref=feed&refid=7&_ft_=qid.5930874697484967644%3Amf_story_key.519546554793273#_=_

1 Like

Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by HezronLorraine(m): 3:10pm On Oct 04, 2013
As much as I don't like her new found madness.Good girl gone bad just overnight doesn't fit in.I think people she getover this that it's her life,her rules.Save her the BS,is it because she didn't start off like the likes of Lady Gaga and Madonna.E ti ri kan kan.she just started.
Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 04, 2013
Wooowww.what a relief.for once,someone can be real in this world of deceit,hypocrisy and fake love.she couldnt have said it better.

Thats one thing about american entertainment industry.after theyve reduced you into nothing more than a s3x object and made enough money out of you,they will give you the impression that thats what you wanted all along,you werent forced afterall.thank God for women and mothers like this.infact when i saw that stewpeed publicity stunt miley displayed on stage,i remembered the indian movie i watched 'fashion' which they will turn you to a s3x object and put the world literarily under your feet,infact you will be feeling larger than life.after some time she will become worse than she was when she first started.if she isnt a junky,she will be an alcholic,if shes not an alcholic,she will be a s3x addict or a serial smoker.just look at how messed up people like rihaana, mary j.blidge, late whithney houston,lady gaga,beyonce etc are now.many of them fall into the category above.

The woman has just said the undiluted truth about entertainment industry in america.meanwhile

i remember one of my lecturers from california who came to do his sabatical in nigeria way back then when i was still a student in the university carried away by youthful exurberance.i dont know why he took particular interest in me,on this fateful day he gave us an unexpected test and i failed it woefully because i didnt read then,all i was intrested in was clubbing and attending shows,concerts and red carpets.anyway he said i should see him in his office by 4pm and so when i went he said,shewa,its a cold world out there.men dont care or are intrested in women other than the s3xual part of them.you wont be young forever,you are beautiful no doubt but you have to prove to the world that you have much more than beauty or curves to offer the world.i love you like i love my daughter and i want to see you years later an intellectually,economically and influentially strong woman.he said do you promise me you will do that for me,i nodded in the affirmative and he said if you will come out with a first class or a minumum of a second class upper,ill get you something,i smiled and said,ill try my best,i left his office with a different perspective to life and feminity,when i fulfilled his promise i went to his office on the day of my convocation and showed him my certificate.he gave me a hug and handed a laptop to me as his earlier promise.i said dr smith,you helped me suceed.you made me realise that i have much more to offer than just my looks.he smiled and gave me a good bye hug.that was the last time i saw him.when i went back to my school,i learnt that he had finished his sabatical and gone back to his place and unfortunately cell phones had not come out then so there was no how i could contact him.i didnt even have his e.mail then.up till today,i still miss him and wish i can find him to show him what i have made out of myself

1 Like

Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by demelza: 3:24pm On Oct 04, 2013
All what Sinead said are so true but I think Miley is too far gone to heed the warning whistle. She's doing too much and its kind of a turn off.
Anyway, her song "We Cant Stop" is my jam. Love it.
Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by topazjosh(m): 4:43pm On Oct 05, 2013
kulyie: Wooowww.what a relief.for once,someone can be real in this world of deceit,hypocrisy and fake love.she couldnt have said it better.

Thats one thing about american entertainment industry.after theyve reduced you into nothing more than a s3x object and made enough money out of you,they will give you the impression that thats what you wanted all along,you werent forced afterall.thank God for women and mothers like this.infact when i saw that stewpeed publicity stunt miley displayed on stage,i remembered the indian movie i watched 'fashion' which they will turn you to a s3x object and put the world literarily under your feet,infact you will be feeling larger than life.after some time she will become worse than she was when she first started.if she isnt a junky,she will be an alcholic,if shes not an alcholic,she will be a s3x addict or a serial smoker.just look at how messed up people like rihaana, mary j.blidge, late whithney houston,lady gaga,beyonce etc are now.many of them fall into the category above.

The woman has just said the undiluted truth about entertainment industry in america.meanwhile

i remember one of my lecturers from california who came to do his sabatical in nigeria way back then when i was still a student in the university carried away by youthful exurberance.i dont know why he took particular interest in me,on this fateful day he gave us an unexpected test and i failed it woefully because i didnt read then,all i was intrested in was clubbing and attending shows,concerts and red carpets.anyway he said i should see him in his office by 4pm and so when i went he said,shewa,its a cold world out there.men dont care or are intrested in women other than the s3xual part of them.you wont be young forever,you are beautiful no doubt but you have to prove to the world that you have much more than beauty or curves to offer the world.i love you like i love my daughter and i want to see you years later an intellectually,economically and influentially strong woman.he said do you promise me you will do that for me,i nodded in the affirmative and he said if you will come out with a first class or a minumum of a second class upper,ill get you something,i smiled and said,ill try my best,i left his office with a different perspective to life and feminity,when i fulfilled his promise i went to his office on the day of my convocation and showed him my certificate.he gave me a hug and handed a laptop to me as his earlier promise.i said dr smith,you helped me suceed.you made me realise that i have much more to offer than just my looks.he smiled and gave me a good bye hug.that was the last time i saw him.when i went back to my school,i learnt that he had finished his sabatical and gone back to his place and unfortunately cell phones had not come out then so there was no how i could contact him.i didnt even have his e.mail then.up till today,i still miss him and wish i can find him to show him what i have made out of myself
hmmm,words
You need to search for such person on facebook or linkedin
Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by topazjosh(m): 4:48pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: As much as I don't like her new found madness.Good girl gone bad just overnight doesn't fit in.I think people she getover this that it's her life,her rules.Save her the BS,is it because she didn't start off like the likes of Lady Gaga and Madonna.E ti ri kan kan.she just started.
exactly,she might fnd it difficult to yield to such gold words,meanwhile without such stunt,it will be hard to be famous.
Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by topazjosh(m): 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: As much as I don't like her new found madness.Good girl gone bad just overnight doesn't fit in.I think people she getover this that it's her life,her rules.Save her the BS,is it because she didn't start off like the likes of Lady Gaga and Madonna.E ti ri kan kan.she just started.
Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by topazjosh(m): 4:53pm On Oct 05, 2013
exactly,she might fnd it difficult to yield to such gold words,meanwhile without such stunt,it will be hard to be famous.exactly,she might fnd it difficult to yield to such gold words,meanwhile without such stunt,it will be hard to be famous.
Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by topazjosh(m): 5:03pm On Oct 05, 2013
Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by topazjosh(m): 6:01pm On Oct 05, 2013
exactly,she might fnd it difficult to yield to such gold words,meanwhile without such stunt,it will be hard to be famous.exactly,she might fnd it difficult to yield to such gold words,meanwhile without such stunt,it will be hard to be famous.
Re: Sinéad O'connor's Open Letter To Miley Cyrus by flolancracker: 7:43pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hmmm. angry

(1) (Reply)

39-year-old Who Is HIV Positive Has Been Arrested 4 Breast Feeding / Photo Of Ghanaian Actress Yvonne Nelson In Prison / US Rapper Wale No Longer Coming To Nigeria, Releases Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.