Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

The Final Superstition - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Final Superstition (745 Views)

Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind / Africans And Superstition / Traditionalcure, Spiritual Healing, Superstition, Voodoo, Magic, Facts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Final Superstition by huxley(m): 11:32am On Jun 30, 2008
The Final Superstition: A Critical Evaluation of the Judeo-Christian Legacy
“, covers almost every objection and issue that a non-believer could raise
--Dr. Gordon Stein

“, a gold mine of information for all those on the verge of departure from religion."
--Prof. Delos McKown

“, cogent, insightful witty analysis, "
--Asst. Prof. Sharon Nichols

", absolutely the best refutation that exists. (I know because I've read them all!)"
--April Dorsey-Tyler

Our society continues to grapple with a host of complex socioeconomic issues such as the means of controlling population growth by means of contraception, sterilization, and abortion; terminating life through voluntary or involuntary euthanasia; diverse sexual proclivities such as premarital and extramarital sex, homosexuality; the fair distribution of income; environmental destruction and the responsibility of the present generation to future generations, etc. Traditional religions have staked out a dogmatic position on most of these issues and often sought to implement their positions through political involvement. The religious right has made major inroads in determining the platform for the Republican party and seeks to tear down the road of separation between church and state.

The Final Superstition shows that such an effort is nothing new. Claiming special knowledge of God's will, the Judeo-Christian religions (as well as other religions) have sought for three millennia or more to usurp the political process to further their theological ends.

This book is a comprehensive critique of all aspects of the Judeo-Christian legacy including:

- The origins of some of the most recent religions such as the Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Christian Science, and the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons), and what their history teaches us concerning the nature of religion and religious belief in general.

- The continuing efforts of fundamentalists and evangelists to wrest control of the political agenda in the U.S.

- How Catholicism rose to power and the political influence it exerts even today

- What we really know about Jesus, separating fact from fiction.

- The relationship between Christianity and the pre-Christian cults of the Gnostics and Essenes.

- The origins of both the New and Old Testaments and the linkage of the Bible stories to the ancient myths of Buddha, Krishna, Mithras, Zoroaster and the many other gods and goddesses of the ancient Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Babylonians and Chaldeans

- A review of some of the teachings of the Bible to determine its value as a guide to ethical behavior

- An in-depth examination of the arguments for the existence of God.

- The psychological basis underlying all religious belief systems.

- Alternative methods of analyzing and resolving the moral issues of the 21st century.

Based upon research of the last two hundred years, The Final Superstition demonstrates that although reliance on ancient superstitions might provide individuals with comfort and solace, relying on ancient myths to provide answers to modern human dilemmas results in simplistic and dangerously erroneous solutions that often have resulted in great misery for humankind. The most recent example is the Catholic Church's relentless opposition to contraception in a world faced with devastating overpopulation.

Even today when science has demonstrated its efficacy in comprehending and solving the myriad of problems facing the human race, socioeconomic policies are heavily influenced by those myths which serve the interests of those who control organized religions. only by rejecting these ancient superstitions and relying upon the scientific method of analysis can we hope to formulate the policies necessary to preserve humankind in the centuries to come.

The Final Superstition is unique in both it thoroughness and comprehensibility. It takes on some of the most difficult subjects that are all but inaccessible to those not versed in theology, such as the arguments for God's existence. Cutting through the arcane jargon with clarity and wit, it exposes the glaring logical fallacies which two thousand years of spurious rationalizations by theologians have failed to correct.

Re: The Final Superstition by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2008
Sounds like NAZI propaganda mingled with atheistic-Communist incorrectness.
Re: The Final Superstition by huxley(m): 10:04pm On Jun 30, 2008
imhotep:

Sounds like NAZI propaganda mingled with atheistic-Communist incorrectness.

Wen it don pass you, you dey commot your nazi and communist palaver.
Re: The Final Superstition by TheSly: 10:17pm On Jun 30, 2008
huxley:

[b]Wen it don pass you, you dey commot your nazi [/b]and communist palaver.
I think say u be white boy before.
Re: The Final Superstition by huxley(m): 10:46pm On Jun 30, 2008
The Sly:

I think say u be white boy before.

Abi, I no be white boy oh. I commot for Africa, from som contry corner nigerland wey dem di callam say Cameroon.
Re: The Final Superstition by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 02, 2008
huxley:

Wen it don pass you, you dey commot your nazi and communist palaver.

The NAZIš and Communists killed over 30 Million people. Is this the highest point of Humanism.
Re: The Final Superstition by PastorAIO: 1:37pm On Jul 02, 2008
So what alternative do you propose since religion is such a bane on humanity. Yes, science has cured so many diseases etc but it is not an ideology or a social philosophy. It is wrong to pit science against religion like that. What unsuperstitious way of living would you recommend?
Re: The Final Superstition by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 02, 2008
Pastor AIO:

It is wrong to pit science against religion like that.

Please tell this huxley man, for he has a one-track mind.
Re: The Final Superstition by morpheus24: 2:11pm On Jul 02, 2008
Huxley

You are quite a smart chap, However one thing I would advice you is to "beware" the philosophies of Men and keep an open mind, trying to drive your point of the non existence of a Divine being is duely noted however your approach especially in this forum can be counter productive to you actually achieving your point or argueing the position.
Re: The Final Superstition by oaroloye(m): 5:41pm On Nov 24, 2016
SHALOM!

If you are a real Christian, then you follow THIS Teaching:

.. JOHN 14:15-27.

15. "If ye love me,
keep my Commandments.
16. "And I will pray the Father,
and he shall give you
another Comforter,
that he may abide with you
for ever;
17. "Even the Spirit of Truth;
Whom the World cannot receive,
because It seeth Him not,
neither knoweth Him:
but ye know Him;
for He dwelleth with you,
and shall be in you.
18. "I will not leave you Comfortless:
I will come to you.
19. "Yet a little while,
and the World seeth me no more;
but ye see me:
because I live,
ye shall live also.
20. "At that day ye shall know
that I am in my Father,
and ye in me,
and I in you.
21. "He that hath my Commandments,
and keepeth them,
he it is that loveth me:
and he that loveth me
shall be loved of my Father,
and I will love him,
and will manifest myself to him."
22. Judas saith unto him,
not Iscariot,
"Lord, how is it
that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us,
and not unto the World?"
23. Jesus answered and said unto him,
"If a man love me,
he will keep my Words,
and my Father will love him,
and we will come unto him,
and make our abode with him.
24. "He that loveth me not
keepeth not my sayings:
and The Word which ye hear
is not mine,
but The Father's Which sent me."
25. "These things
have I spoken unto you,
being (yet) present with you.
26. "But The Comforter,
(Which is) The Holy Ghost,
Whom The Father
will send in my Name,
He shall Teach you all things,
and bring to your remembrance
all things whatsoever
I have said unto you.
27. "Peace I leave with you,
my Peace I give unto you:
not as the World giveth
give I unto you.
Let not your heart be troubled,
neither let it be afraid."

THIS IS HOW THE EXISTENCE OF GOD IS PROVEN.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Get God To Be My Pal, Real Close Buddies / Obasanjo: Leave Electricity Problem To God / Why? The Billion Dollar Question.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.