Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,037 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas (836 Views)

9-years Old Boy Sneaks On Plane, Flies To Las Vegas / 9-year-old Girl Gives Birth To A Daughter In Mexico / Couple Gets 7 Years For Robbing Bank To Pay For Wedding Trip To Vegas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by infonubia(m): 1:42am On Oct 07, 2013
Daniel Ihekina, the Nigerian teenager who evaded airport security and sneaked into the tire section of a flight just before the wheels went up for take off, just found himself an American buddy. Only that this time, his buddy is much younger and didn't risk his life like Daniel.

According to a NY Daily News report, a 9-year-old Minneapolis boy was able to sneak past airport security and boarded a Delta Airline flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas without appearing to have ever held or shown a boarding pass.

The U.S Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials were scratching their heads to figure out how the unnamed boy made it on board.

Despite several layers of security and fear of global threats to the nation's airports, the unaccompanied child "went through the entire security screening process" Thursday without a hitch, according to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport spokesman Patrick Hogan.

As the flight was making its land, the flight attendants grew suspicious of the boy and alerted the authorities. Upon landing, the Las Vegas Police Department greeted the boy and placed him in custody with child protective services.

Security footage shows the boy was there the day before, the station reported, citing airport officials. He passed his time by taking luggage from a carousel, bringing it to an airport eatery and then ditching it, asking a server to watch the bag "while he went to the restroom."

The following day the child took the train to the airport, cleared security and nearly made it to Las Vegas without detection.

The boy is still in the custody with child protective service.

So much for TSA doing their job!

Who should take the blame?

Would you blame TSA who obviously dropped the ball on this one, or Delta Airline whose unaccompanied minor (children between ages 5 to 14) policy requires that someone from Delta pay special attention to unaccompanied children, walk them on board, show them their seats and even introduce them to the cockpit crew?

I think both parties dropped the ball on this one. But given the current security situation with a potential for a terrorist activities, TSA should take a bigger portion of the blame. What do you think?

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/10/9-year-old-boy-sneaks-past-airport.html
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by neutrotoba(m): 1:53am On Oct 07, 2013
Now who says developed countries don't have their own issues?? If he had carried a bomb............ Well
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by infonubia(m): 2:02am On Oct 07, 2013
neutrotoba: Now who says developed countries don't have their own issues?? If he had carried a bomb............ Well
My thoughts exactly!
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by AnOlAd: 2:37am On Oct 07, 2013
Is this the new trend?
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by infonubia(m): 2:53am On Oct 07, 2013
AnOlAd: Is this the new trend?
Kids are just wanting to escape...lol
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by Nobody: 3:17am On Oct 07, 2013
What about his parents/guardians... werent they searching for him?! I can't imagine my kid doing that.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by infonubia(m): 3:47am On Oct 07, 2013
AlbinoNinja: What about his parents/guardians... werent they searching for him?! I can't imagine my kid doing that.
There were no details on his parents. There were also no reports of a missing child at the time of this incident.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by Burger01(m): 7:29am On Oct 07, 2013
he he he! This is becoming alarming!

sad
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by infonubia(m): 12:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
Burger01: he he he! This is becoming alarming!

sad
Kids are just trying to escape from one thing or another smiley
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by Danhumprey: 1:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
Isn't it Naija that started the trend? lipsrsealed

I guess what they say "Naija no dey carry last" is true after all. cheesy
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by Danhumprey: 1:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
AlbinoNinja: What about his parents/guardians... werent they searching for him?! I can't imagine my kid doing that.
Sorry to ask. Is this Sniperinadiaper?
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by infonubia(m): 2:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
Danhumprey: Isn't it Naija that started the trend? lipsrsealed

I guess what they say "Naija no dey carry last" is true after all. cheesy

grin grin grin
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by pembisco(m): 3:41pm On Oct 07, 2013
...nd some f.ools wl say shits like this only hapns in naija
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 07, 2013
Danhumprey: Sorry to ask. Is this Sniperinadiaper?

Yes grin
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by infonubia(m): 4:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
pembisco: ...nd some f.ools wl say shits like this only hapns in naija
As long as we are humans, somebody will always drop the ball. I agree with you that this can happen anywhere.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by Nobody: 5:00am On Oct 09, 2013
infonubia:
There were no details on his parents. There were also no reports of a missing child at the time of this incident.

A 9-year-old boy who evaded airport security and stowed away on a flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas has also stolen a car and sneaked into a water park, and he is known to child protection investigators, according to a confidential county government memo.

In the email obtained by the Star Tribune, Janine Moore, area director of the Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department, said child protection staffers have conducted four assessments of the boy's family since December and that he is a "challenging" child.

"The reports have been inconsistent and there have been no injuries to the child; however, there is a pattern of behavior," she wrote in the email to county administrators and commissioners marked "private data."

Moore did not identify the boy or his family, nor did she say where they live.

She did however say that the boy's mother works at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport where he sneaked onto the plane without a boarding pass or ID Thursday. The Delta Air Lines flight crew realized midflight that he wasn't supposed to be there, and Las Vegas authorities took him into custody when the plane landed.

The boy became "violent" and was hospitalized in Las Vegas, where hospital staff reported he was "uncontrollable" at first but eventually calmed down, she said.

Moore did not return calls from The Associated Press seeking comment Monday and early Tuesday.

A hearing in Las Vegas about the boy's case was scheduled for Tuesday, said Chuck Laszewski, spokesman for Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman. The child protection division in the county attorney's office will also investigate but are waiting for officials in Las Vegas to wrap up their work, he said.

The boy is too young to be charged with a crime.

The Minneapolis airport police department has not released its reports on the incident, saying the federal Transportation Security Administration was still reviewing them Tuesday.

Moore said the boy stole a car two weeks ago and she outlined his history of sneaking into a local water park by blending in with large families.

The boy's future could go two ways, she wrote. If he's been mistreated, he could be removed from his home. If he has a mental health issue, there could be a "behavioral health response," which she didn't explain.

___

Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com

----

This doesn't surprise me... And unfortunately, if he has had this much contact with CPS and nothing has been done yet, then chances are his problematic behaviours will continue to occur and he will become a problem to the foster care system.

I blame the parents angry
Re: 9-year-old Boy Sneaks Past Airport Security, Flies To Vegas by infonubia(m): 5:25am On Oct 09, 2013
@AlbinoNaija, good find. I saw the report after posting this but I just ignored it. Thanks for posting it smiley.

(1) (Reply)

Beware of False Prophets / Nigerian Companies And The Owners Risk / Who Spends More Time In The Bathroom...men Or Women ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.