Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,769 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora (721 Views)

Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue / What Does Ur Native Name Means? / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora by rockbase360: 5:54am On Oct 10, 2013
One thing I have noticed about foreigners who migrated to the united states from LATIN/south america,FRANCE and some asian countries like china, japan and india is that they try as much as possible to instill their native culture and traditional beliefs in their kids. Most of their kids are bi-lingual. Back in undergrad school days, most of my chinese and indian friends that were born here spoke their native tongue without fear or shame. Conversely, the average nigerian parent unfortunately believes that it is not in the best interest of the child to learn their native tongue. As a matter of fact naming the "pickin" a naija name is bad for his future..OYA NA THIS BOY VICTOR O JARE...

Scene 1 (Real Story)

A well educated professor of African Literature is "allowed" by the pastor of a popular nigerian church in the disapora to speak to the members. She grabs the microphone and starts by telling the parents about a summer program (like many others) that is designed for children of africans born in the diaspora to help teach them their native language( Reading and Writing).. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...... nobody signs up their kids. The woman leaves her contact and leaves and as soon as the woman leaves, the typical naija church gossip starts "Who does she think she is"? "My son can't learn igbo o" "My children are AMERICANISED NOW" "We are in america now o " blah blah blah blah.. and on and on.......it was depressing!
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora by Nobody: 5:58am On Oct 10, 2013
Theres a plus to teaching children your native language: Bi lingual children tend to be smarter than others grin
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora by rockbase360: 5:59am On Oct 10, 2013
AlbinoNinja: Theres a plus to teaching children your native language: Bi lingual children tend to be smarter than others grin

Only if some of our dear naija parent's in diaspora knew... embarassed
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora by TCUBE(m): 6:13am On Oct 10, 2013
embarassed embarassed
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora by Nobody: 6:15am On Oct 10, 2013
rockbase360:

Only if some of our dear naija parent's in diaspora knew... embarassed

Well if it matters any, all of the ones I know teach their children their native language... perhaps they think they will ONLY know it and not English too?
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora by badmeat(m): 6:51am On Oct 10, 2013
@op this is true!I have been trying to organise a foundation to help keep Languages in Rivers State from going extinct!
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak UR Native Tongue;a Disturbing Trend In The Diapora by rockbase360: 7:18am On Oct 10, 2013
bad meat: @op this is true!I have been trying to organise a foundation to help keep Languages in Rivers State from going extinct!

There are actually some organizations that are into language preservation. Send me a PM and 'll give you details.

(1) (Reply)

Do We Have A Tipping Culture In Nigeria? (In restaurants) / The Origin Of “africa“ / Full Kiddies Themed Party Package For Just 499,999!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.