Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,620 members, 7,823,712 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN (28652 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / NASU Will Join ASUU Strike Next Week / ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by kingsley103(m): 8:11am On Oct 10, 2013

THE Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) yesterday said it was wrong for the Federal Government to claim that opponents of the government have hijacked its industrial action.

Meanwhile, there are signals that whenever the ASUU strike comes to an end, a fresh crisis may erupt at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) as the Joint Action Committee on Trade Unions of the university yesterday threatened to shut down the institution as soon as academic activities resume.

ASUU has dashed all hope for a quick resumption of academic activities in public universities, as it vowed not to succumb to attempt by the Federal Government to blackmail it to calling off the over three months industrial action.

The union’s chairman in the University of Port Harcourt, Prof. Antonia Okerengwo, told journalists yesterday in Port Harcourt that the Federal Government has been economical with the details of the reasons Nigerian public university teachers have been on strike in the last three months and that it is wrong to use ASUU to fight a political war.

Okerengwo said it was rather wrong for President Goodluck Jonathan to claim that those with political vendetta against the government have hijacked ASUU’s struggle, adding that it was sad that the government has allegedly decided to reduce the struggle to politicking.

“When I listened to the president saying that, I sent a message to somebody and said it is the government that is being political, we know our politicians, once something is not going their way, they explain it to mean their enemies are using it for political reasons, is this the first time ASUU is going on strike? We have been on strike for the same issues all along. Did we also play politics during Babangida’s time, during the military era in 1992 when we went on strike? Did we also play politics when Abacha was head of state and we went on strike, was it also political?” she stated.

She spoke as the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) gave the Federal Government one week to settle its differences with ASUU or face the mother of all strikes that may cripple the country if nothing is done.

Also, ASUU has warned the authorities of the University of Ilorin not to share the N986.7 million earned allowance disbursed to it by the Federal Government until the ongoing strike is over.

Zonal Coordinator of ASUU, Dr. Ayan Adeleke, told reporters in Ibadan that the union chairman in UNILORIN, Dr. Taiwo Oloruntoba-Oju had already conveyed the position of the university teachers to the institution’s management, warning that universities should not betray the struggle by disbursing the earned allowances until the struggle is over.

It was gathered that workers in the University of Ilorin early yesterday engaged themselves and the university management over modalities for sharing of the institution’s share of the N30 billion disbursed to the universities by the Federal Government.

Dr. Adeleke, who faulted the Professor Wahab Egbewole faction of the union in UNILORIN, reminded that the National Industrial Court had declared the group illegal.

University of Ibadan ASUU Chairman, Dr. Segun Ajiboye, said, “it is the height of immorality for these fellows in Ilorin to be squabbling over the proceeds of a struggle that they did not participate in”, adding that the union is committed to full revitalization of the public university system and not the peanut of earned allowances.

Speaking during a training workshop organized for labour leaders of the union in Enugu, General Secretary of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), Comrade Joe Ajaero said the union would align with others across the country to embark on a solidarity strike with ASUU if the impasse persists.

In University of Nigeria, Nsukka, the ASUU and NASU at a press conference said the plan to shut down the institution has become necessary following alleged ongoing corruption, looting and flagrant abuse of office by the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Barth Okolo.

The two unions alleged that Okolo had run the institution since he assumed office without a budget.    They called on the Federal Government to constitute a judicial commission of enquiry to investigate the activities of the vice chancellor and the immediate past council of the school with a view to sanitizing the system.

When contacted, Okolo said the issues raised by the unions were “instigated” and calculated at tarnishing his achievements in office, adding that they had no relationship with the goings on in the school.

Okolo, who would not want to respond pointedly to the issues raised by the unions added: “The type of growth that has happened in the UNN presently has never happened anywhere since the inception of the institution. It is being testified everywhere and I am yet to believe that it is all the members of the unions that addressed the press conference.”
Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/national-news/135159-ASUU-denies-hijack-of-strike-by-govt-opponents
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Slickest(m): 8:20am On Oct 10, 2013
I no read am...f2c
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 10, 2013
I see another "BARTHO MUST GO" brewing but dis tym by lecturers!!! Lecturers get ready to pay #8000 Reparation fees

3 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Fitzy4real(m): 8:47am On Oct 10, 2013
click2cbn: I see another "BARTHO MUST GO" brewing but dis tym by lecturers!!! Lecturers get ready to pay #8000 Reparation fees

Lolz

1 Like

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by peleson: 9:58am On Oct 10, 2013
All I see is greed!

8 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Gistboy: 10:12am On Oct 10, 2013
I don't know about the allegations against UNN VC but the VC has really achieved a lot in UNN.

1 Like

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Napoleondegreat: 10:24am On Oct 10, 2013
You mods are always hiding my comments. That not withstanding let me say this let it rot in your system!!!
So ASUU, NASU can at all feel the impacts of UNN VC's style of leadership. Till date it still beat my imagination to understand why nobody can call this man to order. Just last year he single handedly imposed a whooping sun of 12000 naira on all the students under the cover of internet fee. The worst thing is that the so called Lionet is non functional since after "extorting" the 12000 from the students. Like I said why nobody saw reason with the protesting students not even ASUU/NASU remains a difficult puzzle for the students.

10 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by greall1: 10:24am On Oct 10, 2013
What's NASU,ASUU and OSU

2 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by zyzzx: 10:26am On Oct 10, 2013
This seasonal film is getting more interesting.....abeg when season two go come out ?

1 Like

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by stinggy(m): 10:26am On Oct 10, 2013
1st time to comment on a 1st page =D
Wat'z d mata for discussn sef?
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Onwe101(m): 10:29am On Oct 10, 2013
Dreamt last nyt †ђξ strike wuld be called off coming
monday....ma dreams always çømé tru

3 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by youngbu(m): 10:32am On Oct 10, 2013
I wanted to coment first but I have to charge my batrry first. But not too late cos I am the 6th to coment first tym in history.

2 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Gistben: 10:32am On Oct 10, 2013
all we are saying, call up the strike!!!
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Ayomax(m): 10:32am On Oct 10, 2013
hav lost hope on this country. TOGO here i come
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Brymo: 10:32am On Oct 10, 2013
ASUU, God dai.
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by dridowu: 10:32am On Oct 10, 2013
Hmmmmm i love dat NASU more than ASUU.
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by BenGlobal1(m): 10:33am On Oct 10, 2013
God pass them
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by cashkid18(m): 10:33am On Oct 10, 2013
ist tym to coment on fp afta ban..one bottle of alomo bitter to everybody on nl cuz e no easy to b on nl fp cool cool
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by skyscraperTM(m): 10:33am On Oct 10, 2013
at first i supported ASUU when they embarked on this strike action but now i`m totally aqainst them. all they care about is their pocket and i`m very sure their salaries are been paid durinq this strike. i suqqest the president sack all of 'em and replace them with lecturers who are willinq to teach. just like fashola did to doctors in laqos. by then they will be the ones beqqinq for their jobs.

13 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by donphilopus: 10:34am On Oct 10, 2013
It's necessary
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 10, 2013

Wait....is the strike still on? Damn!
Brb, lemme prepare for my lecture. Continue striking. At this rate I'm gonna graduate before my seniors in public uni. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Brimmie(m): 10:35am On Oct 10, 2013
Be Like Sey UNN Dey Madt!? undecided
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by jamal230(m): 10:37am On Oct 10, 2013
Bartholomew okolo.... D nigga luvs money
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Brimmie(m): 10:38am On Oct 10, 2013
cashkid18: ist tym to coment on fp afta ban..one bottle of alomo bitter to everybody on nl cuz e no easy to b on nl fp cool cool

So you got Banned kiddo!?? grin grin Smartness nor be your thing!! tongue tongue
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by yinkard4me(m): 10:38am On Oct 10, 2013
So unilorin will also benefit from dis money they re fighting for?? Bhet why?
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by tammmy(m): 10:38am On Oct 10, 2013
y cant ASUU threaten the rivers government for none participation of RUST hhgfhgufdhghsgj, i laf in afghanistan
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by pesty100(m): 10:39am On Oct 10, 2013
[b][/b]
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by tomsongz(m): 10:39am On Oct 10, 2013
Y go 2 skull when u hav google
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Lagusta(m): 10:39am On Oct 10, 2013
Ayomax: hav lost hope on this country. TOGO here i come

May God be with you embarassed
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by emekakelvin(m): 10:41am On Oct 10, 2013
UNN Is gradually loosing her worth/hype. This year is even case study, a skul that brought her cut-off to 180,conducted pume for 1st and 2nd choice applicant,but did nt release 2nd choice result.
Just go to Unn and see abandon projects

2 Likes

Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Castos(m): 10:42am On Oct 10, 2013
Brymo: ASUU, God dai.
U look beautiful
Re: NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN by Walexz02(m): 10:42am On Oct 10, 2013
Let's go there!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions / My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! / My Success Story In FUTA With 4.68 From 3.80! - Babatunde Babajide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.