Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,669 members, 7,955,438 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:44 AM

BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! (879 Views)

BBM on iPhone and related issues / BBM On Android And Related Issues / How Can I Used BBM On Wifi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! by twosquare(m): 10:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
It's no secret that I prefer BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) over WhatsApp. My WhatsApp status says, "Prefer BBM." But perhaps some among you might think I prefer being a dinosaur and stick to BBM, even as the world takes to WhatsApp. So I decided to make a list of why I preferred BBM, and this is especially important now, because in a few days from now, BBM will be available on Android and iOS smartphones. But let's look at some numbers first. In June 2013, WhatsApp claimed over 250 million monthly active users. Compared to that humongous number, BBM in May had a measly 60 million monthly active users and 51 million daily active users. Game over for BBM then? Throw in the towel and forget about launching on Android and iOS? Not quite, because when you consider that WhatsApp seems shy of revealing daily active users. And when you dig a bit deeper, you find that while WhatsApp claimed a record 27 billion daily messages per day sent on June 13 this year, BBM handles 10 billion messages each day, which BlackBerry claims is nearly twice as many messages per user per day as compared to other mobile messaging apps. So, user to user, BBM users send and receive a lot more messages than WhatsApp users and are also far more engaged - almost half of BBM messages are read within 20 seconds of being received; And here's why: Getting Ds and Rs right: Perhaps the biggest reason why I prefer BBM is the Delivered (D) and Read (R) signs next to each message. If a message hasn't been delivered I don't see a blue D and till it is read I don't see a green R. Now, surely some of you are wondering what's unique about that? Doesn't WhatsApp have the two tick marks that perform the same function? Here's WhatsApp's dirty secret - the two tick marks don't stand for Delivered and Read. Don't believe me, check out WhatsApp's own FAQ. The single tick mark stands for message delivered to server and the second tick mark stands for message delivered to device. So, if you've been upset with your husband for not responding to your message despite the two ticks and you are assuming he has read it but is busy flirting with someone else, chances are he has not. Or maybe he has read it, and is actually flirting with someone else.

While BBM can't tell you if he is indeed cheating on you, it can tell you with certainty that the message has been read and not just delivered. Security: BlackBerry despite the terrible sales figure remains King of security, and BBM, thanks to BlackBerry's awesome security heritage is light years ahead of WhatsApp on this critical front.Since WhatsApp is phone number based, anyone who has your number can add you. Problem is, it exposed my name and number to others in that group. That's a massive security hole and primarily because WhatsApp uses phone numbers. BBM in comparison uses the device PIN or user ID for Identity. In contrast, BBM has a far more elegant system where without you authorising another user, he/she cannot send you messages. And if you delete that user, he needs to send you another authorisation message which you have to approve. No need for embarrassing conversations on why you've blocked someone, as in WhatsApp.

Privacy: If you're using WhatsApp and shift/surrender your mobile number, your contacts could be accessed by the new owner of that number, which is a significant breach of privacy. WhatsApp users also get messages from address book contacts, even if they don't want to stay connected. And in case you really don't want to receive messages from someone, you have to block the number, which can be quite embarrassing for both parties. In sharp contrast, BBM doesn't disclose unnecessary information unless you want to display the same.

Another significant issue with WhatsApp is that it displays the time and date when a user was last active. This hasn't bothered me, but for heavy IM users, especially teens and college students, this is a significant privacy concern. While you told your boyfriend you were studying and couldn't chat with him on WhatsApp, the app unfortunately broadcasts the fact that you were active till 3 AM on WhatsApp.
Re: BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! by Emekayoung(m): 10:59pm On Oct 16, 2013
Wat ever ur criticism or dicrimination may be concerning whatsapp is not a gud reason in any way,it whatsapp all the way..
People are happy having access to IM messaging app like whatsapp and they aint complaining at all..
Re: BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! by HARDDON: 12:22am On Oct 17, 2013
OP, no need comparing the lord of the ring to his shoe cobbler.

whatsapp is light years behind bbm.

there are alot sleek stuffs that bbm wills that whatsapp hasnt even sniffed yet
Re: BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! by Osyxcel(m): 12:33am On Oct 17, 2013
Emekayoung: Wat ever ur criticism or dicrimination may be concerning whatsapp is not a gud reason in any way,it whatsapp all the way..
People are happy having access to IM messaging app like whatsapp and they aint complaining at all..

Let's wait and see what will happen if and when BBM is finally released on Android, IOS and Windows.

Whatsapp will then be left to Symbian and Java Users.
Re: BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 17, 2013
even when d leaked version for d bbm came..

i still preferred whatsapp to it...

bbm is cool alryt.. but whatsapp is more arranged.... try out whatsapp plus on ur android... super cool...
Re: BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! by biomedixexcel(m): 9:52am On Oct 17, 2013
WhatsApp is an app that replaces your native message and dats d reason why it synchronises ur phone book, you don't need to be cramming pin again and it works across many platforms with 350 million users, i don't think BBM can match that

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android, IOS Versus Whatsapp: Why BBM Has The Advantage!! by babarazy: 11:48am On Oct 17, 2013
All na wash cool

(1) (Reply)

What To Do When You Lose Your Phone / Techno H5 For Sale / Have Mercy On The Tablet!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.