Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,681 members, 7,831,109 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Amazing! Teenager Sells App For $30 Million To Yahoo And Why You Should Care! - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Amazing! Teenager Sells App For $30 Million To Yahoo And Why You Should Care! (678 Views)

[PHOTOS] Kim Kardashian Look-alike Spent More Than $30,000 On Plastic Surgery / Meet Myla Sinanaj –the Lady Planning To Spend $30,000just To Look Like Kim K / Brazilian Student Sells Her Virginity For £500,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amazing! Teenager Sells App For $30 Million To Yahoo And Why You Should Care! by iamOdino(m): 11:43am On Oct 19, 2013
One of Yahoo’s newest employees is a 17-year-old high school student in Britain. As of Monday, he is one of its richest, too. That student, Nick D’Aloisio, a programming whiz who wasn’t even born when Yahoo was founded in 1994, sold his news-reading app, "Summly", to the company on Monday for thirty million dollars. Yahoo said it would incorporate his algorithmic invention, which takes long-form stories and shortens them for readers using smartphones, in its own mobile apps, with Mr. D’Aloisio’s help.

“I’ve still got a year and a half left at my high school,” he said in a telephone interview on Monday. But he will make arrangements to test out of his classes and work from the Yahoo office in London, partly to abide by the company’s new and much-debated policy that prohibits working from home.

This particular story made me ask: How many young people do you know that have projects like his? Creating a website? Starting their own blog? Creating an app? (this 12 year old did). Online staffing firm oDesk.com recently surveyed their users on their views of being an employee in the workplace.

72 percent of users at “regular jobs” responded with saying they wanted to be entirely independent.
58 percent identified themselves as entrepreneurs.

The fact of the matter is, everyone is/wants to be an entrepreneur now. The internet changed everything and it now costs virtually nothing to set up a business. Want to open an online store? Cool. Snap a few pics on your iPhone, open a shopify account, link your Paypal and you could be making those extra bucks to pay off those pesty college loans within a few hours? CLICK HERE NOW >>> http://www.egistonline.com/content/2013/10/19/amazing-teenager-sells-app-30-million-yahoo-and-why-you-should-care

Re: Amazing! Teenager Sells App For $30 Million To Yahoo And Why You Should Care! by KVN1(m): 11:55am On Oct 19, 2013
My guy don hammer[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Amazing! Teenager Sells App For $30 Million To Yahoo And Why You Should Care! by mazizitonene(m): 12:03pm On Oct 19, 2013
Lovely.....am next
Re: Amazing! Teenager Sells App For $30 Million To Yahoo And Why You Should Care! by gluv01(f): 2:02pm On Oct 19, 2013
Wow! Creativity at it's best. I wanted to do similar thing so I won't finish any qualifications like PhD, I'll just stop at degree level and 'dropout' from anything called school like Bill Gates and Mark Z, make my own money and be famous. But I ended up ruining my system software and had to get a new laptop with the money I was to use for my Birthday parry angry

(1) (Reply)

Do U Agree? This Is The Best Song For Every Year Ending / Serious Accident ( A Must See ) / What Do You Think About Bovi's Rhythm Unplugged Adverts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.