Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,824 members, 7,956,115 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:03 AM

Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities (1373 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls See Which Is Numba-1 / 28 Nigerian Universities Rank Among Best In Africa – Bogoro / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 9:42am On Oct 20, 2013
African Ranking of universities in Nigeria and Ghana:
(10) O.A.U
(24) UNILAG
(26) UNIVERSITY OF GHANA
(33) UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
(37) UNN
(56) UNILORIN
(63) KWAME NKRUMAH UNIVERSITY
(71) UNIVERSITY OF CAPE COAST
(75) FUNAAB
(87) COVENANT UNIVERSITY
(88) UNIBEN
(93) AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY

from the above rankings we can see that two of our universities rank better than the best university in Ghana, and three more nigerian universities rank better than the second best university in Ghana.
I created this topic because i was wondering what the fuss about Ghanian universities was about. If it is about strikes, i learnt that Ghanian universities went on a two-year strike, before the Government intervened in their case, and when it comes to the aspect of certificate respect, i believe that Nigerian certificates are as respected as Ghanian certificates, but it is the Nigerian belief that Ghanian products are better than Nigerians. I have had a lot of Ghanian friends and believe me, there's nothing special about them, Ghanians ( infact most African countries) envy Nigerians, the truth is that Nigerians top Ghanians in grades in their schools, so please Nigerians let us stop downgrading our country.
Source of rankings : webmetrics
The opinions posted here are mine and i stand to be corrected.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by kelvin1191(m): 9:54am On Oct 20, 2013
U are right. Some of our young men & women are going there cos they want to see how it looks outside Naija.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 11:09am On Oct 20, 2013
kelvin1191: U are right. Some of our young men & women are going there cos they want to see how it looks outside Naija.
exactly....
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by LUCASC(m): 11:37am On Oct 20, 2013
Pls i want to register for the remedial programme but they said something on catchment area am from Anambra state and i have complete o level if i apply will they take me?? Pls is urgent
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by nellyalph: 11:39am On Oct 20, 2013
Smtyms I wonda y the rush 2 Ghana? Naija all the way!
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by bolaji73(m): 11:55am On Oct 20, 2013
2me d crazy rush 2 ghanian universities involves...(1)lazy student wu re scared of our hectic screening process(jamb n p.jamb) ....(2) incessant strike engage by our university teachers...any oda factor aside frm dis 2,na big LIE.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by Johnklein(m): 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2013
bolaji73: 2me d crazy rush 2 ghanian universities involves...(1)lazy student wu re scared of our hectic screening process(jamb n p.jamb) ....(2) incessant strike engage by our university teachers...any oda factor aside frm dis 2,na big LIE.

thats absolutely right,, to me in all ways naija shldnt b compared to ghana @all
we ought to cherish wat we hav instead we compare it wit wats not up to our standard.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by onyinye03(f): 1:10pm On Oct 20, 2013
This "webmetrics" thing is not about facilities or the standard of education... It simply refers to the internet traffic on the site of the school... How many times the school's site is opened, its presence on the web.... Let's not get carried away.....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by Baba419(m): 1:13pm On Oct 20, 2013
Its all about your mentality, If only you could see the dedication these ghanaians bring to the table, apart from that yes nigerians are sharp but the student with the ghanaian tertiary training can fit in and adapt to the international stage more easily. Easy equation [smaller country+smaller schools+more student to teacher contact=more sense -strike-sexformark-cultism-boko haram] hope you know your BODMAS?
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 2:01pm On Oct 20, 2013
bolaji73: 2me d crazy rush 2 ghanian universities involves...(1)lazy student wu re scared of our hectic screening process(jamb n p.jamb) ....(2) incessant strike engage by our university teachers...any oda factor aside frm dis 2,na big LIE.
nice point there, the reason people run to Ghana is because they cant make it into Nigeria schools...talkless of the fact that Ghanian schools are more expensive
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by ellyrichy(m): 2:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
tsleazy: nice point there, the reason people run to Ghana is because they cant make it into Nigeria schools...talkless of the fact that Ghanian schools are more expensive
How the you just type what I was thinking. Nice though
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 2:17pm On Oct 20, 2013
ellyrichy: How the you just type what I was thinking. Nice though
s.m.h Nigerians are spending billions in Ghana, the question is, why cant they gather that money and spend them on private universities
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by Olugbenger(m): 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
onyinye03: This "webmetrics" thing is not about facilities or the standard of education... It simply refers to the internet traffic on the site of the school... How many times the school's site is opened, its presence on the web.... Let's not get carried away.....
stop being silly.
read the guidelines for webometrics use very well and try comprehending the right facts, only ignorant folks keep saying what you claim. Now consider another ranking done by 4icu, the list is very similar.

http://4icu.org/topafrica

i'm waiting for the next fool to say thrash about this one too.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2013
Baba419: Its all about your mentality, If only you could see the dedication these ghanaians bring to the table, apart from that yes nigerians are sharp but the student with the ghanaian tertiary training can fit in and adapt to the international stage more easily. Easy equation [smaller country+smaller schools+more student to teacher contact=more sense -strike-sexformark-cultism-boko haram] hope you know your BODMAS?
yeah well Ghanians are not as perfect and stainless as u think, most of the things you mention above also happens there ( except boko haram)....but Ghanians love their country and dont go around exposing their dirty deeds, they promote their country to the rest of the world, thats why we are all running to them.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 2:29pm On Oct 20, 2013
Olugbenger:
stop being silly.
read the guidelines for webometrics well, only ignorant folks keep saying what you claim. Now consider another ranking done by 4cui, the list is very similar.
exactly !!! Noone is dumb enough to use schools online popularity as the main criteria when it comes to rankings.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by Olugbenger(m): 2:41pm On Oct 20, 2013
tsleazy: exactly !!! Noone is dumb enough to use schools online popularity as the main criteria when it comes to rankings.
Help me tell these nitwits oh
so 4icu and webometrics are the same?

4icu.org/topafrica.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 2:53pm On Oct 20, 2013
Olugbenger:
Help me tell these nitwits oh
so 4icu and webometrics are the same?

4icu.org/topafrica.

lol...funny fact though...
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by Olugbenger(m): 2:56pm On Oct 20, 2013
Justification and objectives of the
Ranking
The Webometrics University Ranking is a
ranking system based on university web
presence, visibility and web access. [2]
This ranking system measures how
strongly a university is present in the web
by its own web domain, sub-pages, rich
files, scholarly articles etc. [2] The central
hypothesis of this approach is that web
presence is a reliable indicator of the
global performance and prestige of the
universities and as such, is an indirect way
to measure all the university missions
(teaching, research, transfer). Although
the Web is universally recognized as one
of the most relevant tools for scholarly
communication, it is still very rare these
indicators are used for the evaluation of
the scientific research and the academic
performance of universities. Webometric
indicators are provided to show the
commitment of the institutions to Web
publication.
A research paper in the peer-reviewed
scientific journal Scientometrics found
"reasonable similarities" between the
Webometrics rankings and other
prominent university rankings despite
using a very different set of features to
determine each university's rank. These
similarities were increased when the
comparison was limited solely to
European universities. [3]
Top universities are publishing millions of
pages produced by dozens of
departments and services, hundreds of
research teams and thousands of
scholars. Strong web presence informs of
a wide variety of factors that are clearly
correlated with the global quality of the
institution: Widespread availability of
computer resources available, global
internet literacy, policies promoting
democracy and freedom of speech,
competition for international visibility or
support of open access initiatives, among
others.
read more : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webometrics_Ranking_of_World_Universities
Even if you refuse to accept or comprehend this fact too, ask yourself why are the best universities in the world rank top too as they deserve. It is only when our own (Nigerian) universities come up top we complain about the criteria used in ranking.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 3:21pm On Oct 20, 2013
Olugbenger: Justification and objectives of the
Ranking
publication.
others.
read more : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webometrics_Ranking_of_World_Universities
Even if you refuse to accept or comprehend this fact too, ask yourself why are the best universities in the world rank top too as they deserve. It is only when our own (Nigerian) universities come up top we complain about the criteria used in ranking.
the main problem Nigeria is facing is that, her citizens do not love her with all their heart....they tag negativity with anything that has to do with nigeria
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 3:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
Olugbenger: Justification and objectives of the
Ranking
publication.
others.
the main problem Nigeria is facing is that, her citizens do not love her with all their heart....they tag negativity with anything that has to do with nigeria
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by Appliedmaths(m): 6:40pm On Oct 20, 2013
And the lazy old-school lecturers who suppose the be busy conducting meaningful research and boosting the image of our universities positively are stupidly comparing their salaries with that of the politicians. Did anyone force them at gun point to become lecturers?. When it comes to money they rant and shout like stray dogs and paint the FG black, but the same people are full of all sort of mischief (bribery, female students sex scandal, cultisim, attending classes whenever they feel like, exam malpractice etc).

NB: I'm not in support of the FG either cause that one na national issue.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by Dinakas(f): 7:45pm On Oct 20, 2013
onyinye03: This "webmetrics" thing is not about facilities or the standard of education... It simply refers to the internet traffic on the site of the school... How many times the school's site is opened, its presence on the web.... Let's not get carried away.....
Gbam!!! U hav said it all

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by tsleazy(m): 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2013
Appliedmaths.:
And the lazy old-school lecturers who suppose the be busy conducting meaningful research and boosting the image of our universities positively are stupidly comparing their salaries with that of the politicians. Did anyone force them at gun point to become lecturers?. When it comes to money they rant and shout like stray dogs and paint the FG black, but the same people are full of all sort of mischief (bribery, female students sex scandal, cultisim, attending classes whenever they feel like, exam malpractice etc).

NB: I'm not in support of the FG either cause that one na national issue.
you are talking like its all lecturers that are corrupt... Most of our politicians are over paid, most students are talking abt lecturers allowances like its the only thing they requested for...if u were in their shoes what will u do ? ASUP is now on strike because the same govt did not honor their agreement.
Re: Nigerian Universities Rank Better In Africa Than Ghanian Universities by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2013
kelvin1191: U are right. Some of our young men & women are going there cos they want to see how it looks outside Naija.

(1) (Reply)

See How 20 Yr-old Covenant University Student Was Kidnapped & Murdered In Lagos / Does Estate Management Required Chemistry During Verification / Thread For Jamb Candidates On 14th March

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.