Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,377 members, 7,954,529 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:21 PM

Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? (2033 Views)

Networking Computer With Wi-free Plus Swift 4g Procedure Needed / How Fast Is MTN BIS With Wi-free Or Sandwich / New Ipad 2 With Wi-fi 16 Gb For N120,000, 32gb For N135,500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 3:34pm On Oct 20, 2013
I just got a hardrive with wi fi. I am trying to understand how it works better.

In fact, I am thinking of returning it for the little time it has cost me.

If you have one or understand how it works well, you might be of help.

Thank You smiley

** First, I am sceptical of having to use it online. I have the thought that its content might not be safe. If you have used one, what assurance can you give?
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 7:34pm On Oct 20, 2013
What brand do you have?
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by baba11(m): 8:03pm On Oct 20, 2013
This is my first time of hearing such.How does it work
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 8:11pm On Oct 20, 2013
baba11: This is my first time of hearing such.How does it work
Its actually a normal external hard disk but this has added wireless functionality. Suitable for people using tablets. You can connect/ transfer files between the two device just as if its a legacy usb device. But this time the medium is through wireless and not a usb.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 8:11pm On Oct 20, 2013
baba11: This is my first time of hearing such.How does it work
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by tunshe: 8:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
onegig:
Its actually a normal external hard disk but this has added wireless functionality. Suitable for people using tablets. You can connect/ transfer files between the two device just as if its a legacy usb device. But this time the medium is through wireless and not a usb.

Great insight! How does the phone access the content of the Hdd?
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 8:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
tunshe:

Great insight! How does the phone access the content of the Hdd?
through wi fi
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by baba11(m): 9:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
onegig:
.....i see...@deols:i can see your concerns now.I think you should not fear @ol.Reason:There's no technological innovation that doesn't have its loophole(s).The protocol used here is wireless,so it should not give you a sleepless night @ol.Bluetooth's used without much hassle.You can limit its accessibility and if you don't trust it d@ much,it's better to go for usb type but for me,nothing wrong in it,it just required some technicalities!!!
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by tunshe: 9:20pm On Oct 20, 2013
onegig: through wi fi

Thanks bro,I know the connectivity is by wifi.

Do you mean that the device will see the HDD as a folder and access the content?

If yes,I doubt its compatibility with apple products.

Thanks anyway.

@Deols,

Nice info,whats your experience with the HDD?
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
Thank you.

Let me express my fears better.

1. If you use an ipad or an android, you can get an app to download and through the app you can access the device.

without the app, you are directed to a www where you view your files. Now, are my files safe. Can anyone hack this www and get access to my gallery and documents??

2. When I put some folders on the hard drive, I am able to delete their contents but the folders with their names remain. I donno how to get rid of that. It freaked me out actually. Made me feel like the device is going to have bigger problems later. But I spoke with my friend who says she has an hardrive with a similar problem. Realising that this is not peculiar to my wi fi Harddrive, I actually have decided to keep it and enjoy(or not ) the innovation.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:30pm On Oct 20, 2013
onegig:

exactly but on a Pc and a non tablet, like my pc, I get directed to a www. I even am trying to see if I can use it without an internet connection.

Plus it comes with a load of accessories like a car charger. You can charge it and use it for up to 5hrs on the move.

It also has a pinhole on which is written DCIN. I havent figured out what that is for.

It is made in a quite beautiful way.. I am being optimistic though my fear no. 1 remains.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by jaybee3(m): 9:36pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ok think about it this way, your laptop has the same wi fi connectivity functionality and you will have to connect to the internet with a public profile setting for your computer or laptop to become potentially vulnerable to e-attacks.

New CPU's have in built wi fi functionality unlike old ones that you would be expected to use a usb modem for making a wi fi connection

All you can do is make sure you only connect to a secure network i.e your router is password protected
You don't go clicking suspect links and attachments
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by baba11(m): 9:38pm On Oct 20, 2013
I think the maker of the device is in the best position to douse your fear.Users' manual can also do wonders!#Enjoiittillitlasts!!
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 9:46pm On Oct 20, 2013
tunshe:

Do you mean that the device will see the HDD as a folder and access the content?

Thanks anyway.

@Deols,

depends on manufacturer. But most creates a hot spot where the devices connects to. It works with Apple's products actually. There ios apps for these.

Deols.. I guess yours works like an Hot spot. You could password the hard disk. Also you could password the hot spot to avoid others from connecting to it. Read up on wep protocols. Also dc in means direct current in.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:47pm On Oct 20, 2013
jay bee: Ok think about it this way, your laptop has the same wi fi connectivity functionality and you will have to connect to the internet with a public profile setting for your computer or laptop to become potentially vulnerable to e-attacks.

New CPU's have in built wi fi functionality unlike old ones that you would be expected to use a usb modem for making a wi fi connection

All you can do is make sure you only connect to a secure network i.e your router is password protected
You don't go clicking suspect links and attachments

This sounds good. But it does not say that I am immune to anything.

I will be careful. Thank you smiley
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:49pm On Oct 20, 2013
onegig: depends on manufacturer. But most creates a hot spot where the devices connects to.

Deols.. I guess yours works like an Hot spot. You could password the hard disk. Also you could password the hot spot to avoid others from connecting to it. Read up on wep protocols. Also dc in means direct current in.

Yes. Like a hotspot.

Three computers can have access to different things on it at a time.

The password thing works too. Thank you, too. I just did not think it would be so hard like this.

I feel better about it now. I'll pray too and keep it.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:55pm On Oct 20, 2013
tunshe:

Thanks anyway.

@Deols,

No. It does not see it as a folder. It shows it like an application with tabs for pics, files, videos..looks good except for the online thingy.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 9:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
deols:

Yes. Like a hotspot.

Three computers can have access to different things on it at a time.

The password thing works too. Thank you, too. I just did not think it would be so hard like this.

I feel better about it now. I'll pray too and keep it.
Welcome. Those things cost an arm and leg. I am sticking to the conventional hard disk Abeg. Also you need to charge them which is a big turn off.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
baba11: I think the maker of the device is in the best position to douse your fear.Users' manual can also do wonders!#Enjoiittillitlasts!!

I can look up for them online but the manual says nothing about this.

Thanks sha smiley
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 10:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
onegig: Welcome. Those things cost an arm and leg. I am sticking to the conventional hard disk Abeg. Also you need to charge them which is a big turn off.

PHCN things abi? grin

I dont have that problem. at least not now.

Well, this will get better and become more acceptable soon. I like that I can use it with my phone. and also have it charged and use it at any time and at different places. My almost - crashed PC can have some rest grin
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 10:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
deols:

PHCN things abi? grin

I dont have that problem. at least not now.

Well, this will get better and become more acceptable soon. I like that I can use it with my phone. and also have it charged and use it at any time and at different places. My almost - crashed PC can have some rest grin
yeah partly but i see they are trying to make smart phones the mainstream devices by introducing newer technologies like this . Sorry to bust their bubble it won't work. Smart phones can never take the place of pcs
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by tunshe: 11:13pm On Oct 20, 2013
deols:

No. It does not see it as a folder. It shows it like an application with tabs for pics, files, videos..looks good except for the online thingy.

Thats interesting, technology is just making our priced items obsolete.

Thanks for sharing,I wouldn't have known an external HDD with wifi exists. Very funny I was in Micro centre in Boston early this year bought a 2TB passport HDD and I was feeling...,you know?lol!

Thanks to onegig too,but I wonder why he's not oneterabyte.lol!
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:26am On Oct 21, 2013
onegig: yeah partly but i see they are trying to make smart phones the mainstream devices by introducing newer technologies like this . Sorry to bust their bubble it won't work. Smart phones can never take the place of pcs

Well, they seem to be having their way. I cant remember the last time I browsed internet with my Pc..

The phine has taken over..it allows ppt presentations etc. I have kept the pc cos of the documents it contains. If I am able to move them, its job is relegated to that of a typewriter and tv.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:27am On Oct 21, 2013
onegig: yeah partly but i see they are trying to make smart phones the mainstream devices by introducing newer technologies like this . Sorry to bust their bubble it won't work. Smart phones can never take the place of pcs
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by deols(f): 9:28am On Oct 21, 2013
tunshe:

Thanks for sharing,I wouldn't have known an external HDD exists. Very funny I was in Micro centre in Boston early this year bought a 2TB passport HDD and I was feeling...,you know?lol!

You are welcome. I am hopeful of not regretting this sha..I dont want wahala.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by baba11(m): 3:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
tunshe:

Thanks for sharing,I wouldn't have known an external HDD with wifi exists. Very funny I was in Micro centre in Boston early this year bought a 2TB passport HDD and I was feeling...,you know?lol!

.....2TB HDD waooooow,what a size!The only problem i have with higher memory like this is how i will feel if i lose my docs and others.but my 500GB HDD still performs as expected sha(no thanks to almighty virus and co!!).One just has to keep going,everything about life is risk inherent!!!
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by baba11(m): 3:02pm On Oct 21, 2013
deols:

Well, they seem to be having their way. I cant remember the last time I browsed internet with my Pc..

The phine has taken over..it allows ppt presentations etc. I have kept the pc cos of the documents it contains. If I am able to move them, its job is relegated to that of a typewriter and tv.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by tunshe: 4:16pm On Oct 21, 2013
baba11: .....2TB HDD waooooow,what a size!The only problem i have with higher memory like this is how i will feel if i lose my docs and others.but my 500GB HDD still performs as expected sha(no thanks to almighty virus and co!!).One just has to keep going,everything about life is risk inherent!!!

On point bro, that's the fear!
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 8:51pm On Oct 21, 2013
deols:

Maybe for you sis. I want to imagine running computer aided design softwares on a tablet, or creating animated images or videos on a tablet. You can do some work but i doubt in the next 50 years we would be able to replace the pc with tablets . They are two distinct things and the earlier we know and accept this the better. Its just like the tv. . I don't see them going anywhere. Their speed and quality would just improve.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by onegig(m): 8:57pm On Oct 21, 2013

. Already asked Seun for a name change. He's just charging way too much.
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by Ardedaryor(m): 11:20am On Oct 22, 2013
onegig: Maybe for you sis. I want to imagine running computer aided design softwares on a tablet, or creating animated images or videos on a tablet. You can do some work but i doubt in the next 50 years we would be able to replace the pc with tablets . They are two distinct things and the earlier we know and accept this the better. Its just like the tv. . I don't see them going anywhere. Their speed and quality would just improve.
@bolded: me río en español (i laugh in spanish

U are still doubting the pace at which technology is advancing ike a rocket¿¿ nw, he who say something isnt possible is been disturb by d person doing it
Re: Do You Have A Hardrive With Wi Fi or Understand How it Works?? by baba11(m): 1:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
onegig: . Already asked Seun for a name change. He's just charging way too much.
1GB pry memory,what a size!mine is even 2GB,i dey complain,u dey try no b small,lol!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

HP CORE 3 320gb Hdd 4gb Ram / Onspeed Internet Network Accelerator / Hire Purchase Laptops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.