Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,620 members, 7,955,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:20 PM

....... - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / ....... (882 Views)

Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord / Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / Giving A Quit Notice To A Tenant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

....... by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
Re: ....... by blank(f): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2013
Your lawyer, a trained professional, has given you his legal advice yet you still want Nlanders that may be students, engineers, etc, i.e untrained, to give you theirs. If there is a conflict, whose advice will you go with?
Re: ....... by helpee(m): 5:46am On Oct 22, 2013
Honestly, ejecting a tenant is more complex than issuing a quit notice wether one month or 6 months especially in lagos and if the tenant is very educated. I got a quit notice from my landlord cos the wife of his son that came to live in the compund started complaining bitterly about our business... She doesn't want a business within the house. That's her choice and I don't blame her but I am not going to abadon a business I built with my sweat unless I am so sure where I am going. By the way, its a hospital and I also live in a flat within the compound so I use multiple flats. All was well till the son of the landlord who wasn't living with us b4 got married and his father renovated one of the flats for him. To cut a long story short, she picked fight with my wife, ordered my nurses to close gates and so many things which I endured at ist. Then his father came and advised we moved the business out which I agreed if they give us time but unfortunately, the son got a lawyer and gave me six month quit notice. That's not acceptable to me cos its my business, my career and no matter how much I hate trouble, I won't sit down and watch my landlord destroy my carrer. For ur information, I am presently building my permanent site which I bought after the quit notice 3minutes away from my present location and so far, I've spent almost 15million on it. The case is in court after one year 7months now and the lawyer that advised them stopped attending court sittings cos I gave them a technical knock out that can get the case stalked in the next 3yrs. Meanwhile, I plan to open my site by january or latest by march by HIS grace. Talk to your tenant. It is easier to eject using dialogue than court. Don't need to tell you that since the case is in court...which I warned them about...I don't pay rent. In lagos, if u try to force out a well enlightened fellow...u may box urself to a corner. Talk to him you want to use your house and he will move in time
Re: ....... by datola: 1:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
That is the truth!

helpee: Honestly, ejecting a tenant is more complex than issuing a quit notice wether one month or 6 months especially in lagos and if the tenant is very educated. I got a quit notice from my landlord cos the wife of his son that came to live in the compund started complaining bitterly about our business... She doesn't want a business within the house. That's her choice and I don't blame her but I am not going to abadon a business I built with my sweat unless I am so sure where I am going. By the way, its a hospital and I also live in a flat within the compound so I use multiple flats. All was well till the son of the landlord who wasn't living with us b4 got married and his father renovated one of the flats for him. To cut a long story short, she picked fight with my wife, ordered my nurses to close gates and so many things which I endured at ist. Then his father came and advised we moved the business out which I agreed if they give us time but unfortunately, the son got a lawyer and gave me six month quit notice. That's not acceptable to me cos its my business, my career and no matter how much I hate trouble, I won't sit down and watch my landlord destroy my carrer. For ur information, I am presently building my permanent site which I bought after the quit notice 3minutes away from my present location and so far, I've spent almost 15million on it. The case is in court after one year 7months now and the lawyer that advised them stopped attending court sittings cos I gave them a technical knock out that can get the case stalked in the next 3yrs. Meanwhile, I plan to open my site by january or latest by march by HIS grace. Talk to your tenant. It is easier to eject using dialogue than court. Don't need to tell you that since the case is in court...which I warned them about...I don't pay rent. In lagos, if u try to force out a well enlightened fellow...u may box urself to a corner. Talk to him you want to use your house and he will move in time
Re: ....... by jerryben12: 1:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
helpee: Honestly, ejecting a tenant is more complex than issuing a quit notice wether one month or 6 months especially in lagos and if the tenant is very educated. I got a quit notice from my landlord cos the wife of his son that came to live in the compund started complaining bitterly about our business... She doesn't want a business within the house. That's her choice and I don't blame her but I am not going to abadon a business I built with my sweat unless I am so sure where I am going. By the way, its a hospital and I also live in a flat within the compound so I use multiple flats. All was well till the son of the landlord who wasn't living with us b4 got married and his father renovated one of the flats for him. To cut a long story short, she picked fight with my wife, ordered my nurses to close gates and so many things which I endured at ist. Then his father came and advised we moved the business out which I agreed if they give us time but unfortunately, the son got a lawyer and gave me six month quit notice. That's not acceptable to me cos its my business, my career and no matter how much I hate trouble, I won't sit down and watch my landlord destroy my carrer. For ur information, I am presently building my permanent site which I bought after the quit notice 3minutes away from my present location and so far, I've spent almost 15million on it. The case is in court after one year 7months now and the lawyer that advised them stopped attending court sittings cos I gave them a technical knock out that can get the case stalked in the next 3yrs. Meanwhile, I plan to open my site by january or latest by march by HIS grace. Talk to your tenant. It is easier to eject using dialogue than court. Don't need to tell you that since the case is in court...which I warned them about...I don't pay rent. In lagos, if u try to force out a well enlightened fellow...u may box urself to a corner. Talk to him you want to use your house and he will move in time

Education or enlightenment is not a ground for stubbornness. In my opinion, your lease agreement should be respected. If your leases stipulates the grounds of quit notice and the length of time that should be given, we should al respect it. Going to court or negotiating outside of the court is a sense of not adhering to the agreed upon terms. My advise is for every landlord and tenant to maintain favorable terms in their leases. Additionally, respect each other and deal with each other in sincerity.

Most landlords are greedy and impatient. On the other hand, most tenants are not matured to rent a house. You see a tenant looking for a house and telling you that he is trying to save up his first rent. The word 'TRYING' is a red flag that you are going to be dealing with the wrong person. After the first rent, what next? Excuses? As a tenant, if your rent more than 30% of your income, you are not ready. It will always be a struggle to keep up. For the landlords, do an independent check on your prospective tenants. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: ....... by helpee(m): 2:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
So in your opinion, it is stubborness to try and protect your business. Thank God u said it is your opinion and that is what it is...a mere opinion. Do u know what it means? If I don't get a place to to move my business to, I should just close it down simply because of a lease agreement and how do you expect me to do that in six months even if the agreement say so? Nobody is talking about rent here. I never owed my landlord but just because of petty jealousy, I am being kicked out of my main source of income and u call it stubborness that I fought back. There is nothing like favourable terms in lease agreement. Being a landlord is a business that must be done with a human face. If I have job b4 and suddenly I am jobless, u mean I must be kicked out once I can't pay because the agreement say so. Even if I must be sent packing, it must be done with patience and human face cos I av a family that I can't raise under the bridge. Agreements are meant to be broken otherwise there will be no courts. It is foolish to assume every agreement must be respected in all circumstances. So my dear, dialogue still remain the best means of ejecting a tenant in lagos and that's how it should be cos one of the basic element of life is accommodation. If u insist that u want to send somebody's family to the streets simply because you are the landlord and because of ur so called favourable agreement without putting a human face, be prepared to take many of your tenants to court over a long period of time without pay. I already have a client base in that area meaning I must get another accommodation in that same area otherwise I am starting afresh. My family resides in the same accommodation meaning I need like 2 to 3 flats at the same time to remain in business and still keep my family yet u expect me to leave in six months even if the agreement say so. I would have wasted my father's school fees on me if I didn't fight back. Give me another opportunity, I will fight back again and again and again
jerryben12:

Education or enlightenment is not a ground for stubbornness. In my opinion, your lease agreement should be respected. If your leases stipulates the grounds of quit notice and the length of time that should be given, we should al respect it. Going to court or negotiating outside of the court is a sense of not adhering to the agreed upon terms. My advise is for every landlord and tenant to maintain favorable terms in their leases. Additionally, respect each other and deal with each other in sincerity.

Most landlords are greedy and impatient. On the other hand, most tenants are not matured to rent a house. You see a tenant looking for a house and telling you that he is trying to save up his first rent. The word 'TRYING' is a red flag that you are going to be dealing with the wrong person. After the first rent, what next? Excuses? As a tenant, if your rent more than 30% of your income, you are not ready. It will always be a struggle to keep up. For the landlords, do an independent check on your prospective tenants. A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: ....... by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
Re: ....... by helpee(m): 10:55am On Oct 23, 2013
eddiebruk:

I am sure if you have a Property and one of your Tenants have brought series of people who are criminals into your compound, and even attempted robbery twice, one successful and the other Not, you would go more further than just quitting the tenant, the reason why i have been Lenient for so long is because he happens to be an active friend, but his companies are the criminals + weed smokers, which makes his activities irregular Legally, and he too isnt helping matters. so as it is i have no choice, all i needed is to confirm the terms of quitting him as stated on my original post as being considerate enough.
l feel u sir. The moral and legal ground is there for you to evict him and you are justified. But u said the guy is an active friend...the more reason u need to talk to him ist even if u will later get a lawyer to document. Tell him as a friend u want to use your house. Ask him when he feels he can get another accommodation. U are not neccessarily going to accept his terms verbatim. For example, if he says u should give him like 9months, u can say u can't give more than six. Then politely inform him that u will get a lawyer to officially document it. That way, u will preserve your friendship and still make him commit himself. He will be under pressure to move. The momemt u turn everything to legal stuff, you lose ur friendship and he has nothing to lose anyway so he may put u and your other tenants thtough a lot of stress b4 u can evict him. Practically, it is not always straightforward to evict a tenant simply by giving him one month notice because the law says so.
Re: ....... by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
helpee: ...
Re: ....... by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 26, 2018
helpee:
Re: ....... by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 26, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Land For Sale At Imo Housing Estate & Egbu Rd Owerri Imo State. / Agbowa-ikosi Landed Properties, Now Selling Acres / Land For Sale @ Abuja Keffi Road #110,000 Per Plot.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.