Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,245 members, 7,822,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. (7848 Views)

Challenge Go All Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers / Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. / 5 Easy Steps To Debunking The Quran (for Christians, Atheists, Agnostics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 8:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
Hello y'all.

So i just begun reading this book by Richard Dawkins, and i am eager to discuss the content with enlightened minds.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by davidhume1: 8:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
Secularist: Hello y'all.

So i just begun reading this book by Richard Dawkins, and i am eager to discuss the content with enlightened minds.

Pls, proceed...
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 8:34pm On Oct 22, 2013
So firstly i want to throw a question out there to the house.

According to Dawkin's there are 7 classes of persons by basis of religion, and they are classified along this lines..

1 Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C. G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

2 Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believein God and live my life on the assumption that he isthere.'

3 Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

4 Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5 Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'

6 Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

7 Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

Which number strongly represents you?

As for me i think i am 6 leaning on 7, call me a 6.5.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 8:36pm On Oct 22, 2013
david_hume:

Pls, proceed...

Sure.

Which number from 1-7 are you on the scale?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 8:47pm On Oct 22, 2013
I know there are a lot of people here who have questioned the many BS they have seen in religious institutions but are yet afraid of being chastised by lesser minds on a fact that is so obvious it should not warrant the ill will it gets.

If you are scared because people may then know you in that light then i encourage you to create another account to enable you discuss freely.

I believe strongly that the future of this country belongs to the sane of mind, people like us. Only people like us can truly make a difference in the world.

Dont be afraid mates, your higher intelligence and liberal spirit is the only thing that can can change this country for good.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by davidhume1: 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
I'm definitely number 6!!!
I don't believe in absolutes, just strong probabilities.
I'm a skeptic, a materialist, and a humanist to varying degrees.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 8:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
Word!

I dont believe in absolutes also, but i find it hard to impossible to believe in a God who created man and caused him to war with each other and blame it on his other creation, the devil. I find such a god malevolent and non deserving of any kind of adoration or worship.

I am not a 7 based on my lack of belief in absolutes, but in my case it would not matter if such a god existed or not, my mind is set on my idea of him.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by davidhume1: 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2013
I feel you mehn!
The whole idea is just pathetic and childish.
Ignorance is bliss!
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 22, 2013

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 9:25pm On Oct 22, 2013
Man from Mars. Straight up no BS with you. I like that.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
Secularist: Man from Mars. Straight up no BS with you. I like that.

7. The truth is 4-7 require evidence. They're not all that different.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 9:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
aManFromMars:

7. The truth is 4-7 require evidence. They're not all that different.

Didn't see it that way. I feel 4 to 5 is unsure. While 6 is unsure but gives a small room for doubt. While 7 is straight up no room and absolutes, which i tend towards often. I fluctuate between 6 and 7 actually. I feel more 7 today.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by minute(f): 10:15pm On Oct 22, 2013
Dawkins should stick to what he knows. Dawkins talking about theology is like

Britney Spears giving her beliefs on quantum-physics. It makes no sense and people

should ignore it.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
^^The op didn't see that.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by mazaje(m): 10:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
It depends on what you mean by god. . .I am a 7 when it comes to gods like Jesus, Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Ra, Zeus etc. . .All these gods do not exist and are a creation of humans. . .In fact all the gods of man made religions are man made so I know that Allah or Yahweh for example do not exist in reality because humans created and formed those god ideas. . .

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by davidhume1: 10:35pm On Oct 22, 2013
Science has a way of humbling a guy!
You continually have to update your knowledge. Nothing is set in stone.

I remember learning the gas laws in school...lol
From Boyles law to Charles Law, Perfect gas, kinetic theory, Absolute zero etc.
All of which are correct under certain conditions.

People in Isaac Newton's time had a mechanistic view of the world till the age of quantum physics.
But my favourite of them all is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. I'm sure it gives every true skeptic a wet dream every now and then... grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by davidhume1: 10:36pm On Oct 22, 2013
mazaje: It depends on what you mean by god. . .I am a 7 when it comes to gods like Jesus, Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Ra, Zeus etc. . .All these gods do not exist and are a creation of humans. . .In fact all the gods of man made religions are man made so I know that Allah or Yahweh for example do not exist in reality because humans created and formed those god ideas. . .

I concur!!!
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 10:43pm On Oct 22, 2013
minute: Dawkins should stick to what he knows. Dawkins talking about theology is like

Britney Spears giving her beliefs on quantum-physics. It makes no sense and people

should ignore it.

smh.

As if theology is a special discipline........
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by engrtee(f): 10:45pm On Oct 22, 2013
minute: Dawkins should stick to what he knows. Dawkins talking about theology is like

should ignore it.

atheist spend time talking about a god they dont belive the same way few men study gnycology when they dont intend being a woman
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

smh.

Lol. What is it then? By the way, I am aware.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 22, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. What is it then? By the way, I am aware.

Anybody can read the bible/holy book....anyone can engage in theology.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by UyiIredia(m): 10:53pm On Oct 22, 2013

should ignore it.

I'm quite willing to bet you are as ignorant as he is wrt theology. That said I'm currently a number 7. For starters, God isn't empirically verifiable and runs against the thread of common experience.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

Anybody can read the bible/holy book....anyone can engage in theology.

Lol. The same way anybody can perform a scientific experiment...anyone can engage in science...
But it doesn't make him a scientist.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I'm quite willing to bet you are as ignorant as he is wrt theology.
Lol. That's not the case. She didn't claim to be well verse in theology in the first place.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

smh.

Of course it isn't...

...any more than any other field of learning is. Silly atheist grin
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
Secularist:

Sure.

Which number from 1-7 are you on the scale?

1 smiley
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Joshthefirst(m): 11:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Of course it isn't...

...any more than any other field of learning is. Silly atheist grin
grin grin grin lol
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
engrtee:

atheist spend time talking about a god they dont belive the same way few men study gnycology when they dont intend being a woman
Lol. See analogy!! *Puts on torchlight looking for the point*
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 11:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
Hehehehe

Please O! I was very clear in my topic header, i dont want any christian or islamist person bringing anything to the table, this discussion is light years beyond you O.

I am impressed by the people picking 7.

But i think the uncertainty principle is also my defense for not believing in absolutes.

But one thing is for sure, i am an atheist by choice of reason. I believe every black person has a moral right to refuse religion of any sort, one must not be too quick to forget how it was used as a justification tool for slavery. I am not one to hate on any color of person, but it seems crazy that one even when "free" would still choose to follow in his slave master's religion even when the slave masters are rejecting it. Britain probably has the highest number of atheists and agnostics in the world right now.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
Secularist: I know there are a lot of people here who have questioned the many BS they have seen in religious institutions but are yet afraid of being chastised by lesser minds on a fact that is so obvious it should not warrant the ill will it gets.

If you are scared because people may then know you in that light then i encourage you to create another account to enable you discuss freely.

I believe strongly that the future of this country belongs to the sane of mind, people like us. Only people like us can truly make a difference in the world.

Dont be afraid mates, your higher intelligence and liberal spirit is the only thing that can can change this country for good.

Lol. What makes yours higher intelligence and your spirit liberal? Being atheistic? Tehehehehe
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. The same way anybody can perform an scientific..anyone can engage in science...
But it doesn't make him a scientist.

How silly.....

Anyone who has read the bible can debate with a theologian from morning to night on similar grounds
Reading a biology textbook (or books) only will never put you on the same grounds with a biologist..

You christians are experts at conflating and misconstruing things to fit lies that protect your religion
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Joshthefirst(m): 11:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
Lol. See these guys making themselves feel good. What a show! What a show!
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Power Of Virginity Part 1 / "New" Revelation Of Heaven And Hell / What Do You Believe About Jesus And Why Do You Believe In Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.