Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson’s 7 Leadership Secrets - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sir Alex Ferguson’s 7 Leadership Secrets (793 Views)

Alex Iwobi Shares Photo Of His Family (Photo) / Full List Of Trophies Sir Alex Ferguson Has Won / Picture Of Tevez Baptizing Sir Alex Ferguson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sir Alex Ferguson’s 7 Leadership Secrets by ladenz(m): 11:50am On Oct 25, 2013
His autobiography is released today, so what lessons can we draw from this sporting icon?

[b](1) Face Tough Reality And Sort Problems Out Head-On

“No one likes to get criticized. But in the dressing room, it’s necessary that you point out your players’ mistakes. I do it right after the game. I don’t wait until Monday, I do it, and it’s finished. I’m on to the next match.”

(2) Only Accept Winning
“I’ve never played for a draw in my life,” boasts Ferguson. He has inspired by his passion, convincing players that they can push their performance on through a brick wall.

(3) No-One Is Bigger Than The Team
Ferguson’s genius has been to make everyone understand that the glory and the riches that they enjoy flow from being part of a winning team. It doesn’t matter how big a star you are. The team is always bigger. Either he was in control or the players were – as Roy Keane, Ruud van Nistelrooy, and David Beckham found out to their cost.

(4) Command Loyalty As A True Father Figure
One of the great characters of football, Ferguson is often associated with his volatile temper. His “hairdryer” – whereby he dressed down a team member with such force and directness that it was said to dry his hair – is the stuff of legend. However, his role as a mentor and a father figure should be not be overlooked.

Ultimately, Ferguson has been more about building players up than knocking them down:

(5) Work Hard & Stay Fresh
“I tell players that hard work is a talent, too. They need to work harder than anyone else.”

However, Ferguson – whose outside interests span racing and military history – is an unlikely advocate of work-life balance

(6) Build An Enduring Institution Of Which People Want To Be A Part
Ferguson told the Harvard Business School that core to his success at Manchester United was building a “club” and not just building a “team” to survive

(7) Leave On A High
Back on top of the English Premier League, Ferguson was wise enough to step away from the touchline of the beautiful game at a time of his choosing; without being given the red card. While it’s tempting to stay on and have another go and the ‘treble’ and the UEFA Champions League, the smart move is to leave space for someone else to take it on. That way his legacy has room to grow.

Excerpts from article by By Steve Tappin, Chief Executive, Xinfu, Host BBC CEO Guru & Founder, World Of CEOs

(1) (Reply)

REVEALED: Why Rvp Went To Arsenal's Dressing Room After United's Win / Predict Brasil 2014 World Cup Champion / Japheth Omojuwa: The Super Eagles And Their Allowances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.