Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation (749 Views)

The Doctrine Of The Ufos / A Deadly Blow that DESTROYS the Doctrine of Immortal Soul / Peter Popoff And The Doctrine Of Miracle Manner! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by texbaba1: 11:06am On Oct 26, 2013
Its going to be another sunday and as usual many christians of different denominations especially catholics, will pertake in the ritual of transubstatiation. This activity is occassioned by the events of the last supper of our Lord Jesus Christ with his 12 appostles where he broke bread nd wine and share for his disciples, telling them to eat and drink that its his body and blood...then commanded them to do it always in his remembrance.

The issue now is, when taking the holy communion, is it realy the body and blood of Christ or is it just a belief we are to abide in? Also, when the priest utters the eucharistic prayers, at what point does the bread nd wine becomes the real body and blood of christ?

pls can u shed more ligth on these or lets have your opinion.

Note* Transubstantiation is the process by which the ordinary bread and wine used by the priest turns into the real body and blood of christ, while offering the eucharistic prayers.
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by raptureready: 11:23am On Oct 26, 2013
Transubstantiation - now that's a mouthful! embarassed embarassed

No it is not his real body and blood. Jesus wasn't trying to turn his disciples and us into cannibals and vampires.

I mean, if he wanted us to eat his real flesh and gorge on his blood, during the last supper in the bible, he'd have cut maybe one hand or leg off and shared it among a bewildered Peter and the rest of his disciples.

If after the priest prayed, the wine turned into blood, IT WILL TASTE LIKE BLOOD! And you'll all go - puuuuuuke!

It's a symbolic occasion. Jesus only wanted us to commemorate his death on the cross - "and as you eat it REMEMBER ME..."
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by thorpido(m): 11:28am On Oct 26, 2013
Seems your question is meant for the catholics.
You should have defined that instead of bringing all Christians into it.

I don't know about bread and wine 'turning' into the body and blood of Jesus.

'And when he had given thanks,he brake it,and said,take,eat:this is my body,which is broken for you:this do in remembrance of me.After the same manner also he took the cup,when he had supped,saying,this cup is the new testament in my blood:this do ye,as oft as ye drink it,in remembrance of me(I Cor. 11:24-25).

He said do this in my remembrance.It's an act of faith.There's no process of turning into blood.

It is written,the just shall live by faith'.
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by Suzie0(f): 12:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
Space reserved.i'll be back in a jiffy
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by texbaba1: 6:29pm On Oct 26, 2013
thorpido: Seems your question is meant for the catholics.
You should have defined that instead of bringing all Christians into it.

I don't know about bread and wine 'turning' into the body and blood of Jesus.

'And when he had given thanks,he brake it,and said,take,eat:this is my body,which is broken for you:this do in remembrance of me.After the same manner also he took the cup,when he had supped,saying,this cup is the new testament in my blood:this do ye,as oft as ye drink it,in remembrance of me(I Cor. 11:24-25).

He said do this in my remembrance.It's an act of faith.There's no process of turning into blood.

It is written,the just shall live by faith'.
I brougth in all christian cos most churches do communion service where bread nd wine is shared to the congregation. Its just that catholics take it more seriously, as holy communion is given everyday there is mass.
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by thorpido(m): 7:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
tex baba:
I brougth in all christian cos most churches do communion service where bread nd wine is shared to the congregation. Its just that catholics take it more seriously, as holy communion is given everyday there is mass.
okay.I take communion in my church too.
Like i said,it's an act of remembrance.There's no process of blood transformation.
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by NnaNna4(m): 9:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
it has no physical significance like wine turning to blood, u just connect by faith fr whatever u r believng God fr and God responds
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by italo: 1:45am On Oct 27, 2013
OP,

At every mass, the bread and wine turn into the actual body and blood of Christ when the Priest consecrates them...

...just like Jesus took bread and wine but after he prayed, he said "this is my body," "this is my blood."

It is Jesus that said so, and we Catholics believe him.
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by italo: 1:53am On Oct 27, 2013
Nn-a-Nn-a:
it has no physical significance like wine turning to blood, u just connect by faith fr whatever u r believng God fr and God responds

This is your own private teaching, right?

You think the body and blood of Christ is just there to serve as a genie that grants your wishes? No.

It is much more than that. Holy Communion is a profound expression of love expressed by God for us as he not only came in human flesh to live among us but chose to remain with us so that we can be physically one with him in intimate love.
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by italo: 1:55am On Oct 27, 2013
tex baba:

We take it seriously because we know Jesus is truly in the Holy Eucharist (Communion).

Who wouldn't take Jesus seriously? Even Pilate did.
Re: Christians And The Doctrine Of Transubstantiation by italo: 2:11am On Oct 27, 2013
rapture_ready: Transubstantiation - now that's a mouthful! embarassed embarassed

No it is not his real body and blood. Jesus wasn't trying to turn his disciples and us into cannibals and vampires.

I mean, if he wanted us to eat his real flesh and gorge on his blood, during the last supper in the bible, he'd have cut maybe one hand or leg off and shared it among a bewildered Peter and the rest of his disciples.

If after the priest prayed, the wine turned into blood, IT WILL TASTE LIKE BLOOD! And you'll all go - puuuuuuke!

It's a symbolic occasion. Jesus only wanted us to commemorate his death on the cross - "and as you eat it REMEMBER ME..."

When God came to earth as man, he looked, talked, walked like man...but he was God. Those who reasoned like you crucified him for blasphemy.

"You being a man, claim to be God."

The Jews saw a mere man (a special man at most); Christians know that he was God.

In Holy Communion, many "Christians" see bread and wine (special bread and at most); we Catholics know He is Jesus - God.

(1) (Reply)

Mysterious River Appears In Enugu Community [PHOTOS] / Does The Bible Condemn Gambling? / Should None Catholics Celebrate Christ-mass???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.