Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,761 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? (2887 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / Reasons Why Most Marriages Fail In Nigeria / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by charleymed(m): 9:49am On Oct 27, 2013
Though am a southner(from igbo extraction) but i don't like the idea of getting married to a lady from my tribe, i prefer a northner(hausa/fulani). But my question is:
can i ever acheive this feat? Because everybody from my village seems to be getting married to people from same village, it's kind of a trend. Please contribute..
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by Kanwulia: 9:55am On Oct 27, 2013
What is your reason for choosing the NORTHERN TRIBES only?
You wanno avenge BIAFRA? grin
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by charleymed(m): 9:57am On Oct 27, 2013
Kanwulia: What is your reason for choosing the NORTHERN TRIBES only?
You wanno avenge BIAFRA? grin
lol...not that bro, am atracted to the northnerns because of their culture and simplicity...
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by dasparrow: 10:06am On Oct 27, 2013
charleymed: lol...not that bro, am atracted to the northnerns because of their culture and simplicity...

Well, northerners - and by that I mean Hausa/Fulani - hardly marry outside of their tribe especially their women. So, you better get real and marry the one your hand fit reach. You can marry from Akwa-Ibom. Their women cook very well.
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by charleymed(m): 10:09am On Oct 27, 2013
dasparrow:

Well, northerners - and by that I mean Hausa/Fulani - hardly marry outside of their tribe especially their women. So, you better get real and marry the one your hand fit reach. You can marry from Akwa-Ibom. Their women cook very well.
akwa-ibom I don't know much about them...
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by Kanwulia: 10:11am On Oct 27, 2013
charleymed: lol...not that bro, am atracted to the northnerns because of their culture and simplicity...

You have a point there.
Only one problem.
What about YOUR CULTURE AND COMPLEXITY?
Do you think a Fulani/Hausa girl can cope?

An Igbo man and a NORTHERN woman is a RARE combination o.
I doubt it would stand the test of time.

Atiku has a Igbo woman as one of his wives!
OJUKWU only managed to impregnate one, then took off!

Please, look somewhere else abeg! kiss
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by charleymed(m): 10:19am On Oct 27, 2013
Kanwulia:

You have a point there.
Only one problem.
What about YOUR CULTURE AND COMPLEXITY?
Do you think a Fulani/Hausa girl can cope?

An Igbo man and a NORTHERN woman is a RARE combination o.
I doubt it would stand the test of time.

Atiku has a Igbo woman as one of his wives!
OJUKWU only managed to impregnate one, then took off!

Please, look somewhere else abeg! kiss
I don't think my culture and "complexcity" is a factor cos am more philosophical than tribal...btw, with love i think it's going to work out.
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by Kanwulia: 10:36am On Oct 27, 2013
charleymed: I don't think my culture and "complexcity" is a factor cos am more philosophical than tribal...btw, with love i think it's going to work out.

Compared to the rusticity on the average NORTHERNER, the AVERAGE SOUTHERNER is VERY, VERY COMPLEX! kiss

Look at the stats, then look at the ODDS!
Marriage is a FAMILY affair, not an individual affair.
Is the prospective lady not gonna visit your village? grin
How many Northern LADIES live in IGBOLAND that are not wives to SUYA-roasters or gatemen? cheesy

Tell me of ONE SUCCESSFUL UNION btw an IGBO man and a NORTHERN WOMAN.

Your future girlfriend/bride/wife will like to have some women in her same situation with other IGBO men, or she will feel miserable being with JUST YOU!

Simple logic! kiss
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by mhizbanega(f): 12:02pm On Oct 27, 2013
well, cuz their no love in the country..
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by charleymed(m): 12:12pm On Oct 27, 2013
Kanwulia:

Compared to the rusticity on the average NORTHERNER, the AVERAVERAGE SOUTHRNER is VERY, VERY COMPLEX! kiss

Look at the stats, then look at the ODDS!
Marriage is a FAMILY affair, not an individual affair.
Is the prospective lady not gonna visit your village? grin
How many Northern LADIES live in IGBOLAND that are not wives to SUYA-roasters or gatemen? cheesy

Tell me of ONE SUCCESSFUL UNION btw an IGBO man and a NORTHERN WOMAN.

Your future girlfriend/bride/wife will like to have some women in her same situation with other IGBO men, or she will feel miserable just bring with JUST YOU!

Simple logic! kiss
I disagree with you bro, i think it can still be done
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by charleymed(m): 12:13pm On Oct 27, 2013
mhizbanega: well, cuz their no love in the country..
really?....why do you think so?
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by mysticgal(f): 1:55pm On Oct 27, 2013
i am from an inter-ethnic marriage,my dad igbo,,,,,my mum efik
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by Sissie(f): 3:09pm On Oct 27, 2013
charleymed: Though am a southner(from igbo extraction) but i don't like the idea of getting married to a lady from my tribe, i prefer a northner(hausa/fulani). But my question is:
can i ever acheive this feat? Because everybody from my village seems to be getting married to people from same village, it's kind of a trend. Please contribute..

I have a friend who's dad is igbo and mum Hausa, but it's really rare to find northerners marry igbo . For an igbo man to marry a northerner religion is also considered even the Hausa Christians don't really marry igbos.
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by pickabeau1: 4:33pm On Oct 27, 2013
Dude why dont u focus on igbo north marriage rather than make an uneducated statement about the scarcity of naija inter ethnic marriage

There is a lot of it

Go to warri...itsekiri dey marry ijaw or urhobo

Yoruba dey marry ibo

Ibo ibibbio

Ibo delta
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by soulglo: 5:35pm On Oct 27, 2013
charleymed: Though am a southner(from igbo extraction) but i don't like the idea of getting married to a lady from my tribe, i prefer a northner(hausa/fulani). But my question is:

I am surrounded by inter tribal and inter national marriages so I don't think it is that rare. My parents are also inter tribal.
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by smartmom(f): 6:23pm On Oct 27, 2013
Not so rare I say to find inter ethnic marriages. I am from the middle belt and I have aunts and uncles that married Fulanis, Ibos and Yorubas. Also Biroms too, I have 1st cousins from all these tribes and we love each other. I am married to a man different from ethnic group and still successfully so for the past 22 years and still counting. My brother is married to an Urhobo woman. Our family tree is all parts of Nigeria interwoven so WE can never subscribe to a divided Nigeria!
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by Kanwulia: 7:44pm On Oct 27, 2013
charleymed: really?....why do you think so?

Have you found the babe yet?
If you haven't, it only means you want to experiment like OJUKWU! Go and live in the NORTH first, then find the babe!
If she carry belle for you, nor run o! grin
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by Kanwulia: 9:35pm On Oct 28, 2013
Errrrm?
OP! You don 'pluck' the babe from a Northern Mango tree yet?
Abi you dey wait for her to come meet you for 'EAST'? wink
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 11:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
In the environment i am inter-ethnic marriage is rare. My parents are from the same community, my uncles, aunts, cousins etc all married from my ethnicity, and so will I. My culture is the only culture I understand and can live with.
Re: Why Is Inter-ethnic Marriages Rare In Nigeria? by dBard: 6:39am On Oct 29, 2013
Well, some tribes are like that, mine is, where inter tribal marriages where discouraged from history except f close n trusted neighbours like d Ibibios.
That said..things have largely changed but one thing I know is if d families are receptive n accepting, it will work.
Goodluck on your search, wont b easy tho..

(1) (Reply)

My Husband Is Complaining. / Ladies, Can You Marry An Uber Driver? / How To Make A Good Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.