Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,407 members, 7,958,180 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:24 AM

Blighted. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Blighted. (838 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blighted. by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 27, 2013
BLIGHTED

It was a mammoth crowd converged at the Eagle square, one of the largest gatherings in half a century. No one had thought it would escalate to such proportions; in fact some had called it the joke of the century.

Women from all works of life were gathered for this once in a lifetime experience; the beautiful, the average and the ugly.

Present in that crowd was Funmi trying to struggle her way through. She had no idea how she got there, but she was there all the same.

It was the WORLD SPINSTERS DAY (WSD). Yes!!! ‘world’ was just a word there to give it international colouration, it was in fact Madam Tinuke’s idea and she had done all she could to make sure the rally was a success including sleeping with the Minister of FCT, at least the venue of the rally won’t be a problem.

She now stood on the podium with the authority of an army general giving a takeover speech. She was 41years old, a little obese, with hawk like eyes and the face of a frowning vulture.

Her voice bellowed, transmitting fearful sound waves to Funmi’s ears, ‘’Today! We have all made this historic gathering. Right before us, we have seen the UN grant days to several people: fathers, mothers, teachers, nurses etc. There are even other ridiculous ones like: International Dance Day, April fool’s Day and World Sleep Day, I mean, what are supposed to do on that day, sleep our lives out?’’ The laughter erupted.

She continued, "what about us? No one seems to care about spinsters, but no more shall we be slighted and so we have declared today as World Spinsters Day!!!" The shouts and screams of affirmation were deafening.

Funmi was still trying to pick up bits of the information just to comprehend why Biola had forcefully brought her here. Biola had made it look like it was the most important exercise of the human race. Biola was 35, a victim of five break ups, but I am 28, she thought, and certainly not as desperate as this woman sounds.

She was yanked from her thoughts with the thundering words, "You all must go out. Search for the men wherever they are; get them to the altar either by hook or by crook. We must depopulate spinsterhood and let no one deter us. If you are with me give me a loud YES"

The YES was deafening but Funmi was not sure whether the resultant consternation was the effect of Madam Tinuke’s speech or not, but she wasn't unsure for too long as she then saw a score of policemen charging at them shooting teargas in the air. The resultant stampede was none like she had ever seen.

She got home with little bruises on her hands but she couldn't help laughing as Biola kept fuming over the short lived exercise. Biola squeaked, "FOOLS! That’s what the police are. See the way they rushed at us like a herd of he goats in heat, but if it’s to go after armed robbers, they would all act like a couple of cock struck by coccidiosis. Mtcheew!" Funmi was choking with laughter but she managed to say, "Do you know some of the World Days are no longer remembered? That’s because they were never relevant. Some things are better left undone".

Biola’s bile rose and her squinted stare began to pierce Funmi like a sharp needle until she was rescued by the alarm of her bedside clock.
Re: Blighted. by Nobody: 7:37am On Oct 29, 2013
Always remember to leave a comment...It helps alot.Merci!!!
Re: Blighted. by Balley(f): 11:49am On Oct 29, 2013
Read dis b4 4rm ur page, but is dat all?

1 Like

Re: Blighted. by misslaw(f): 12:13pm On Oct 29, 2013
wana ask u dsame...is dat all

1 Like

Re: Blighted. by Tinu02(f): 12:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
Another wonderful story from nkpu

1 Like

Re: Blighted. by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 29, 2013
Balley: Read dis b4 4rm ur page, but is dat all?
Thanks a bunch for stopping by.Its all actually, but i could push its frontiers a bit if you want a thrill.Just issue the command and my writing pad responds.
Re: Blighted. by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 29, 2013
miss law: wana ask u dsame...is dat all
Lol Miss.Like i said above, its a short piece, but art can always be extended. Just sound the oghene' and watch Nkpume take to the floor.
Re: Blighted. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
Tinu-02:
Another wonderful story from nkpu
Tinu dear.Always a darling. kiss
Re: Blighted. by Balley(f): 10:23pm On Oct 29, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
Thanks a bunch for stopping by.Its all actually, but i could push its frontiers a bit if you want a thrill.Just issue the command and my writing pad responds.
. Sure, i want more, Oliver twist. Lol. Les i 4get, More ink to ur pen.....
Re: Blighted. by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 29, 2013
Balley: . Sure, i want more, Oliver twist. Lol. Les i 4get, More ink to ur pen.....
My madam at the top...i don hear.Lets see how it goes sha...
Thanks!!! cheesy
Re: Blighted. by Dchiefpriest(m): 9:23pm On Oct 30, 2013
nkpumeee u againnn
Re: Blighted. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 30, 2013
Dchiefpriest: nkpumeee u againnn
Oga just tell me what you want and i will do it...am sorta afraid of you, u know. wink

(1) (Reply)

Poems:love,virginity And Temptation / Most Hilarious Literature Topic You Have Read/seen!!! / ::::: Alex Born To Destory :::::

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.