Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:45 AM

Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid (1191 Views)

Free Nigerian Movies: Leave onlinenigeria.com alone / Best Nigerian Movies / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by OfficerNaughty(m): 7:56pm On Oct 27, 2013
FOURTEEN IMPORTANT LOCATIONS | SETTINGS NIGERIAN MOVIES AVOID

The make -belief business is expected to depict various aspects of life as it truly is. One way to achieve this is to enhance the visual aesthetics and spectacles that aids realism. However, fourteen important settings Nigeria movies fail to depict includes;

1. AIRPLANE
The farthest a Nollywood camera can go in an airport is the terminal. Nothing ever happens inside a plane as far as Nollywood is concerned. We do not get to see the interior of a common plane, talk more of enacting a plane crash.

2. DAY CARE
First of all, Nollywood is an industry where a fully grown adult can assume the role of a five year old child. Maybe it is not necessary to watch a movie where the supposed children in a creche consist of the likes of Nkem Owoh, Mercy Johnson and Funke Akindele afterall.

3. BATHROOM
The only reason for Nollywood cameras to go inside a bathroom is when Jim Iyke tries to dispose the cocaine in his possession at the arrival of the police. We do not get to see Genevieve scrubbing mildly underneath a bath tub neither do we get to see the silhouette of Mercy Johnson's coca-cola shaped body behind shower curtains.

4. ZOO
Zoo ke? Families in Nollywood movies do not even possess pets such as dogs or cats. Nollywood scriptwriters try everything within their powers to avoid locations such as a zoo. What would be the reason for going to a zoo? Is it a Babalawo's shrine?

5. CRUISE SHIP
All thanks to the music industry, foreigners would not have had an idea that there are even yachts in Nigera. A cruise ship is a perfect location to shoot almost a complete movie but I guess the idea is too expensive to be explored in Nollywood.

6. ELEVATOR
As common as an elevator is in Nigeria, it is scarcely used. A lot of speechless conflicts occur daily inside an elevator and the portrayal of a stuck fart-densed elevator would not be such a bad idea.

7. AMUSEMENT PARKS
The use of this setting is feasible but directors feel that love scenes are better of in a restaurant or in the bedroom where no magic happens. Not to mention that there are no children in Nollywood to take to amusement parks.

8. FACTORY LABORATORY
The challenge with this idea is that screenwrights prefer to avoid intensive research than to expose their incompetence. There are no movies that show how Nigerian factories produce some of its local contents.

9. MOVIE THEATRE
The phenomenon of film-in-film is very scarce in Nollywood. Besides, other reasons for going to a cinema or movie theatre in a film like having elaborate scenes is not an option because of low budget.

10. LIVE SHOW
Painfully enough, the setting of a live show is not too hard to accomplish. But whenever it is depicted in Nollywood movies, one wonders whether the director deliberately wants to insult the intellect of the audience.

11. PIRATE SHIP
High sea piracy just like oil bunkering is not a strange phenomenon in Nigeria. Yet, when Nollywood films tries to convey such ideas, they talk about it like in stage plays rather than show it. The clear picture is not formed as it ought to be in motion pictures.

12. STADIUM
One would not completely blame the movie producers on this point. Even a Nigerian premier league match do not make a stadium half-filled talk more of a low budget movie. It's best they avoid the embarrassment.

13. DESERT
There are a lot of arid regions in Northern Nigeria where directors can portray a historic film using horses and camels.

14. SPACE SHIP
The idea of a spaceship in Nollywood is as fictional as a Scifi movie. I just had to complete the list with this one.

http://nollyjudge./2013/10/27/fourteen-important-locations-settings-nigerian-movies-avoid/
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by whirlwind7(m): 8:18pm On Oct 27, 2013
Most common locations they use are:
1 living room
2 Occasional bedroom
3 A little kitchen
4 More living rooms
5 Roads
6 Yet more living rooms
7 Pepper soup and beer joints grin
8 More and more living rooms!!

2 Likes

Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 27, 2013
I have watched movies cast in desert regions on African Magic; Stadium - where Majid Michael proposed to Genevieve .
Amusement parks -I have watched that one a lot sef

The others are so on point
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Caracta(f): 12:52am On Oct 28, 2013
Amusement park! Yes.

I remember Yemi my lover and Moji, his girlfriend. grin
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by sholay2011(m): 1:28am On Oct 28, 2013
whirlwind7: Most common locations they use are:
1 living room
2 Occasional bedroom
3 A little kitchen
4 More living rooms
5 Roads
6 Yet more living rooms
7 Pepper soup and beer joints grin
8 More and more living rooms!!
Lol...crazy dude.

@OP...on point.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by phantom(m): 4:41pm On Oct 28, 2013
1.banks 2.under water
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 29, 2013
Officer Naughty:
1. AIRPLANE
The farthest a Nollywood camera can go in an airport is the terminal. Nothing ever happens inside a plane as far as Nollywood is concerned. We do not get to see the interior of a common plane, talk more of enacting a plane crash.
Last Flight to Abuja, Phone Swap, Ije: The Journey

2. DAY CARE
First of all, Nollywood is an industry where a fully grown adult can assume the role of a five year old child. Maybe it is not necessary to watch a movie where the supposed children in a creche consist of the likes of Nkem Owoh, Mercy Johnson and Funke Akindele afterall.
Enough Alaba films where children dey go creche undecided

3. BATHROOM
The only reason for Nollywood cameras to go inside a bathroom is when Jim Iyke tries to dispose the cocaine in his possession at the arrival of the police. We do not get to see Genevieve scrubbing mildly underneath a bath tub neither do we get to see the silhouette of Mercy Johnson's coca-cola shaped body behind shower curtains.
What's the essence of this? I thought you said 'Important'

4. ZOO
Zoo ke? Families in Nollywood movies do not even possess pets such as dogs or cats. Nollywood scriptwriters try everything within their powers to avoid locations such as a zoo. What would be the reason for going to a zoo? Is it a Babalawo's shrine?
Do Nigerians visit Zoo?

5. CRUISE SHIP
All thanks to the music industry, foreigners would not have had an idea that there are even yachts in Nigera. A cruise ship is a perfect location to shoot almost a complete movie but I guess the idea is too expensive to be explored in Nollywood.
Makes no sense! So they should use cruise ship even if it has nothing to do with the story? undecided. BTW, Cruise ship was used in 'The Island'

6. ELEVATOR
As common as an elevator is in Nigeria, it is scarcely used. A lot of speechless conflicts occur daily inside an elevator and the portrayal of a stuck fart-densed elevator would not be such a bad idea.
Check above

7. AMUSEMENT PARKS
The use of this setting is feasible but directors feel that love scenes are better of in a restaurant or in the bedroom where no magic happens. Not to mention that there are no children in Nollywood to take to amusement parks.
Check Above!

8. FACTORY LABORATORY
The challenge with this idea is that screenwrights prefer to avoid intensive research than to expose their incompetence. There are no movies that show how Nigerian factories produce some of its local contents.
Check above!

9. MOVIE THEATRE
The phenomenon of film-in-film is very scarce in Nollywood. Besides, other reasons for going to a cinema or movie theatre in a film like having elaborate scenes is not an option because of low budget.
Check above! This is the most senseless so far! How many Hollywood films even use cinemas sets? undecided

10. LIVE SHOW
Painfully enough, the setting of a live show is not too hard to accomplish. But whenever it is depicted in Nollywood movies, one wonders whether the director deliberately wants to insult the intellect of the audience.
I agree with the bolded. But this set is not important as well undecided

11. PIRATE SHIP
High sea piracy just like oil bunkering is not a strange phenomenon in Nigeria. Yet, when Nollywood films tries to convey such ideas, they talk about it like in stage plays rather than show it. The clear picture is not formed as it ought to be in motion pictures.
Makes no sense! How many action films about 'high sea piracy' have you seen from Nollywood? undecided

13. DESERT
There are a lot of arid regions in Northern Nigeria where directors can portray a historic film using horses and camels.
Okay since there's no such film in Nigeria yet that requires Desert, this makes zero sense too

14. SPACE SHIP
The idea of a spaceship in Nollywood is as fictional as a Scifi movie. I just had to complete the list with this one.
You answered this yourself

Conclusion: So in essence, contrary to what you claim, none of these is 'IMPORTANT'. bYE

http://nollyjudge./2013/10/27/fourteen-important-locations-settings-nigerian-movies-avoid/[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by sholay2011(m): 9:55pm On Oct 29, 2013
^^^^^^^ sad sad
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 29, 2013
sholay2011: ^^^^^^^ sad sad

what? undecided undecided
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by sholay2011(m): 10:33pm On Oct 29, 2013
speedyboi:

what? undecided undecided
Just greeting you. angry
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by VillageBoi(m): 10:35pm On Oct 29, 2013
speedyboi:
Conclusion: So in essence, contrary to what you claim, none of these is 'IMPORTANT'.
Exactly! Had he been analysing a 'certain' film/s and asking why certain 'sets' were not used then it would have made sense. One has to wonder the point of his 'threads'.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by sholay2011(m): 10:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
VillageBoi:
Exactly! Had he been analysing a 'certain' film/s and asking why certain 'sets' were not used then it would have made sense. One has to wonder the point of his 'threads'.
Where have you been? undecided
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
VillageBoi:

Thank You!
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by ekwurekwu(m): 11:08pm On Oct 29, 2013
@OP, give us better ideas.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by VillageBoi(m): 6:50am On Oct 30, 2013
sholay2011:
Where have you been? undecided
I dey around. How now?

speedyboi:
Thank You!
You're welcome bro.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Bawss1(m): 2:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
So according to some posters here, Nollywood movies have really come of age.

Let's all pretend as though we don't know what the OP was getting at. Let's continue with the make believe. He must have been crazy for drawing our attention to this. Nollywood can stage movies in virtually any location. Yeah right.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by prof800(m): 2:24pm On Oct 30, 2013
Bawss1: So according to some posters here, Nollywood movies have really come of age.

Let's all pretend as though we don't know what the OP was getting at. Let's continue with the make believe. He must have been crazy for drawing our attention to this. Nollywood can stage movies in virtually any location. Yeah right.
unexplain please.

1 Like

Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by OfficerNaughty(m): 8:12pm On Oct 30, 2013
Nollywood cant remain stagnant forever. The growth is damn too slow and the essence of spectacles in any film production cant be over emphasized.
That is why even Nollywood producers prefer to watch foreign productions than their own local productions when they seek inspiration. I'll ignore d Speedy and village bois because dem be 'omni-know-know' 'black-ink-correcting fluids' and
'bad-belle-pedagogues'.
Moreover, I suspect they bleep each other.
How else can village people act out their insecurities?
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by prof800(m): 9:30pm On Oct 30, 2013
[[^^^^]]
*sighs*
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by VillageBoi(m): 5:48am On Oct 31, 2013
Officer Naughty: Nollywood cant remain stagnant forever. The growth is damn too slow and the essence of spectacles in any film production cant be over emphasized.

No one has said Nollywood is or should remain stagnant. If the growth is too slow for YOU then what exactly are YOU doing about it?... Hopefully nothing... that's if you really suscribe to the notion that spectacle can't be over emphasized in film. 'Spectacle' films exist for one reason - to take money off a generally dumb people.
Nollywood should master basic dramas before they even try their hand at 'spectacle' which they actually can't even afford to do well anyway. There is a reason the-rest-of-the-world leaves spectacle to Hollywood but then again it's highly doubtful you know that.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by VillageBoi(m): 5:51am On Oct 31, 2013
prof800: [[^^^^]]
*sighs*
Lol, no mind them. Nutcases come in various shapes and forms.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Bawss1(m): 8:05am On Oct 31, 2013
prof800:
unexplain please.

Lol.

The sarcasm is lost on you.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by prof800(m): 8:24am On Oct 31, 2013
Bawss1:

Lol.

The sarcasm is lost on you.
exactly!
I'm glad you understand.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by prof800(m): 8:25am On Oct 31, 2013
VillageBoi:
Nutcases come in various shapes and forms.
yea this one comes in form of an officer.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by OfficerNaughty(m): 8:53am On Oct 31, 2013
Now, this one is learning to be polite! Good job Officer Naughty. We have more nutcases to tend to. I agree with u @villageboi but not all Nollywood producers cant afford a world class production. They rather divide a one-movie budget into tiny-weenie fractions to enable them make ten movies and maximize profit.
Nobody wants to set the pace but a handful. I'm suspicious you are one of those bad producers anyway. That's why u defend nollywood even in stray.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by OfficerNaughty(m): 8:53am On Oct 31, 2013
As for what I'm doing about the stagnant growth, I'M INCITING ACTION.

1 Like

Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by VillageBoi(m): 12:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
Officer Naughty: Now, this one is learning to be polite! Good job Officer Naughty. We have more nutcases to tend to. I agree with u @villageboi but not all Nollywood producers cant afford a world class production. They rather divide a one-movie budget into tiny-weenie fractions to enable them make ten movies and maximize profit.
Nobody wants to set the pace but a handful. I'm suspicious you are one of those bad producers anyway. That's why u defend nollywood even in stray.
I'm sure you must have seen 'new' Nollywood productions right? How many of them are divided into 2, 3 or more films? None! So are you talking Nollywood of old as in Alaba films or? Because if you are talking about Alaba films then that's even more of a reason you will never see 'spectacle' - they just wont spend a penny on it and if they do - this will be the result - https://www.nairaland.com/1208470/kingdom-death-best-nollywood-2013

That aside. There is nothing wrong with any of the 'locations' you mentioned BUT use the locations because[b]? ? ? ? ? ?[/b]
Exactly, so we find ourselves back to the initial problem of you not stating your case logically. You've written this as if a lack of such locations in a film is a big sin and shows the stup.idity of Nollywood - no it doesn't.

Let's look at a few of these - Cruise ship, Factory Lab, Pirate ship, Desert, Space ship. These are locations you mention should be used but are being shied away from. You've got it the wrong way around as your argument is not using these 'locations'; your argument is meant to be 'stories' - why are stories around such 'locations' not being written? Using a location just for the sake of using a location makes zero sense BUT as you have already stated your reason is for the 'bragging rights' -
Officer Naughty: 5. CRUISE SHIP
We get yatch! See yatch. Even sef we practically get the most 'private' jets in the world... the question is "And so what?" What use is that if films remain generally bad and dumb?

Almost every Naija/Nollywood film tries to sell us some BS of how they were 'first' to do this or 'first' to do that. One very recent one claimed to be the first African film ever to use an aerial cam - have you ever heard such a load of toss? So we're more interested in bragging than in making good films with what little we have?

So NO I am not a 'producer', I have no intention of being one as it is the part of a production I least like and if I ever were to be one I can give you a 110% guarantee that I wouldn't be a BAD one as you're guessing - yup, that's my 'bragging rights done lol.

1 Like

Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Bawss1(m): 3:41pm On Oct 31, 2013
^Your spirited defence for what obtains now in Nollywood is intriguing but doesn't nullify anything the OP has said. The crux of the matter is that the bulk of Nollywood producers/directors avoid those locations because of the "extra effort" involved. They are forever comfortable using living rooms and desserted fast food joints. grin

Another thing one never sees in any Nollywood flick is a detailed description of a business or scientific process. I mean you can watch certain foreign movies and get an idea how of how a particular business operates or how a technology proceeds. . . . Anyways thats just an observation. Nollywood still is yet to cover the basics before I can expect anything like that from them.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by VillageBoi(m): 5:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
Bawss1: The crux of the matter is that the bulk of Nollywood producers/directors avoid those locations because of the "extra effort" involved. They are forever comfortable using living rooms and desserted fast food joints. grin

Nail on the head; it's that simple. And all anyone has said it that's NOT what th OP said. He half presents 'ideas' but does not really say 'anything'. As mentioned to him in a different thread 'said ideas could be more interesting if arguments and debates are presented properly and logically'... no biggie!

Lol @ deserted fast-food joints... easy pickings nah!

Bawss1: Another thing one never sees in any Nollywood flick is a detailed description of a business or scientific process. I mean you can watch certain foreign movies and get an idea how of how a particular business operates or how a technology proceeds. . . . Anyways thats just an observation. Nollywood still is yet to cover the basics before I can expect anything like that from them.

In a lot of threads I continually mention that 'Nollywood' is simply very, very lazy! Your observation is not wrong and Nollywood has still got miles to go; learning how to make the basics 'interesting'.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by OfficerNaughty(m): 6:21pm On Oct 31, 2013
Now I agree. Well said Village boi.
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 02, 2013
Ooooo....I just realize this is the same guy that created the telepathy thread! *hits head* I need to start noting monikers, so I can know people I should/shouldn't reply!

undecided
Re: Fourteen Important Locations | Settings Nigerian Movies Avoid by VillageBoi(m): 4:26pm On Nov 02, 2013
speedyboi: Ooooo....I just realize this is the same guy that created the telepathy thread! *hits head* I need to start noting monikers, so I can know people I should/shouldn't reply!

Yes it's him. To be honest he has ideas but just fails to put them down in a manner that really opens up a debate or flow and sometimes he can be downright confusing. But on the whole, even though he and I just argue a lot, I kinda find him to be quite interesting. He probably is one of the people I could easily sit down with and have a proper chinwag.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Movies Lead Again As Censors Board Approves 79 Films / Gov Rotimi Amaechi Insults Nollywood Actors And Actresses / Globacom Nigeria Just Released A Bad Advertorial....check It Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.