Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor (37188 Views)

Ezekwesili Or Soludo Likely To Be CBN Governor, To Replace Emefiele - Guardian / Naira Falls Across Markets As CBN Adjust Clearing Rate To N197 / Naira Gains As CBN Clearing Rate Weakens Against Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by davou4eva(m): 12:32pm On Oct 30, 2013
Peterwins: From the listed six contenders (though others exist), I will pick Dr Sarah Alade because:

She will need to lobby the world bank, IMF, the Presidency and most importantly GOD to get the job. I will be glad if she becomes the first female CBN governor in Nigeria just as we now have the first female CJN heading the judiciary.

So, she can mess up like her Aviation counterpart.........."what a man can do, a woman can do better"
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by solomon111(m): 12:39pm On Oct 30, 2013
Wow.
Impressive resumes.
I still be learner o.
*quietly hide my first class in engineering certificate*
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by olorire2013: 12:40pm On Oct 30, 2013
I nominate Dr sarah Alade.Apart from d fact that she is an insider and have what it take to deliver,I want a woman to steer d ship for the first time in d history of Nigeria.I love educated/career oriented Nigeria women.
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by Imyourex(m): 1:17pm On Oct 30, 2013
[size=8pt][/size]

E KAABO O!
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 30, 2013
X-factoria:

Obviously, you need some schooling on the difference between fiscal policy (government revenue e.g. taxes, tarrifs, duties etc and trade agreements, budget - planning and implementation, debt management, government liquidity etc) and monetary policy (macroeconomics - interest rates, inflation, money supply - controlling the amount of money in circulation, a lender of last resort - this is where banking supervision comes in etc).

In actual fact the job of a CBN Governor goes beyond being able to manage monetary policy, he also has to see to how that policy impacts the economy in the following ways: economic developmental planning, creating new wealth and economic prosperity through SME initiatives etc.

So does anyone here still think that a lawyer, an accountant, a mathematician and a commercial bank CEO can function effectively as the CBN Governor?? The experience of a bank CEO can only help in banking supervision which is just one of many functions of the CBN and I don't just see how knowing how to balance books would help much in that position as well. As for those clamoring for Chike-Obi, you should get it by now that the job is beyond him. I don't know how a mathematician cum investment banker would be able to function as CBN Governor. I am attending business school in the United States and the only economics I know and that is ever taught in business school is Managerial Economics. Experience working in financial services cannot substitute formal schooling and deep knowledge of other aspects of economics. Clout does not cut it either. AMCON was set up to manage toxic bank assets which the banks sold off their books. Running it is an investment banking - asset management job and Mustafa Chike-Obi is undoubtedly a good fit for that but not a CBN Governor.

Everywhere in the world, the position of a central bank chief goes to seasoned economists who have done a lot of work (by work, I mean research) and have contributed to the understanding of the macro and micro variables that drive their local economy. In our case in Nigeria, it would not cut it to go and bring a foreign trained Nigerian economists who is seasoned in western economic theories alone. Whether the person is currently abroad or is based in Nigeria, the occupier of that position should be familiar with the Nigerian economy through and through and should have easily accessible published papers to prove that.

In the this list of 6 names, Dr. Sarah Alade is the only person that can even pass for nomination. She should be critically examined in a pool comprising other candidates. I am tempted to say that we should look among the very bright scholars in the economics departments of our universities.

Exactly! this just painted an Ideal situation (other things being equal)...if those political ish is out of d model.

I think this is really teaching me a career lesson. After Bsc Econ, get ACCA & CFA, then with Msc Econs will really give one a wider career prospect.
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by SharafG: 1:34pm On Oct 30, 2013
As beautiful as this topic is, the iniator/poster marred it with ethnicity and geographical sentiment - the more reason why most contributors toe the same line.
We'll never get it right in this country till we give priority to merits on all appointments/elections.

2 Likes

Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by isalegan2: 1:43pm On Oct 30, 2013
gbanikiti: Since women are occupying the key ministerial posts,I support Sarah Alade. She should join the female gang too. What a man can do,a woman does it perfectly well grin cool

Oh! I miss Dora Akunyili so much! embarassed

What does Akunyili mean in Igbo?

Please and thanks. smiley
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by willyray(m): 2:48pm On Oct 30, 2013
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by Swizdoe(m): 3:36pm On Oct 30, 2013
Why all of una dey shout............ Na you wan select the next CBN governor......... Just stressing urself unnecessarily........... Mtcheeeeew
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 30, 2013
Father of Mustapha Chike Obi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chike_Obi

Chike Obi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2010)
Chike Obi
Born April 17, 1921
Anambra State, Nigeria
Died March 13, 2008 (aged 86)
Occupation Mathematician
Citizenship Nigerian
Genres Political fiction
Literary movement realism
Notable award(s) Sigvard Ecklund Prize
Spouse(s) Melinda (w. 2009)
Children 4

Chike Obi (April 17, 1921 – March 13, 2008) was a Nigerian politician, mathematician and professor.

The African Mathematics Union suggests that he was the first sub-Saharan Africans to hold a doctorate in mathematics.

Obi is the author of several books and journals on mathematics and Nigerian politics.
Contents

1 Early life and education
2 Career as mathematician
3 Career in politics and activism
4 Awards
5 Personal life
6 References
7 External links

Early life and education

Obi was educated in various parts of Nigeria before reading mathematics as an external student of the University of London. Immediately after his first degree, he won a scholarship to do research study at Pembroke College, Cambridge, followed by doctoral studies at Massachusetts Institute of Technology[citation needed] in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States, becoming in 1950, the first Nigerian to receive a PhD in mathematics.[citation needed]
Career as mathematician

Obi returned to lecture at the premier Nigerian University of Ibadan. He was soon diverted from this by political activities. After the war, he returned to lecture in 1970 at the University of Lagos where he quickly rose to the senior academic role of a professor.

He left Lagos to return to his root in the city of Onitsha, establishing the Nanna Institute for Scientific Studies.

Obi had won the Sigvard Ecklund Prize for original work in differential equation from the International Centre for Theoretical Physics. He was a university teacher until his retirement as an Emeritus Professor in 1985.

In 1997, Obi claimed to have found an elementary proof to Fermat’s Last Theorem. This work was carried out at his Nanna Institute for Scientific Studies in Onitsha, Eastern Nigeria and published in Algebras, Groups and Geometries.[1][2][3] A review of this proof published in Mathematical Reviews claims that Obi's proof is a previously-known false proof.[4][5] Fermat’s Last Theorem had already been solved in 1994 by Andrew Wiles and Richard Taylor.[6]
Career in politics and activism

Obi helped form the Dynamic Party of Nigeria, of which he served as its first secretary-general. After the party merged with the larger National Council of Nigerian and Cameroon, Obi was elected as part of the Nigerian delegation that negotiated the country’s path to self-rule at two London conferences in 1957 and 1958.

After Nigeria’s independence from Britain in 1960, Obi was elected a legislator in the Eastern House of Assembly in 1960, he refused to vacate his seat in the national legislature in Lagos, the Speaker of the regional house ordered that Obi be physically removed by security agents. This order was obeyed and Obi decided to commit himself to regional affairs.

In 1962, Obi was arrested and charged with treason in a closed trial organized by the then national civilian government, who accused him and others, including the main opposition leader at the time, Obafemi Awolowo, of plotting to overthrow the government. He was later released for “want of evidence.”

When the Nigerian Civil War broke out in 1966, Obi sided with Biafra, working for the rebel leader Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu. For a brief period in the 1970s when he served in the National Revenue Mobilization Commission.

Obi derided religion and ethnic extremism, and the culture of corruption pervading the Nigerian political class. He was a national newspaper columnist in the 1980s, writing under the title, "I speak For the People."
Awards

A visiting professor to the University of Rhode Island, USA, the University of Jos, Nigeria, and the Chinese Academy of Science, Obi was a recipient of the national honour of Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) and a Fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Science.
Personal life

Obi's wife Melinda died in late 2009, a fellow mathematician, and they are survived by their four children.
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 30, 2013
Melinda Obi, mother of Mustapha Chike Obi Interview...excerpt before her death

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WorldIgboCongress/conversations/topics/25530

"...On the fruits of the marriage, she happily says: "We have two sons and they are abroad. Balogun Chike Obi and Mustapha Chike Obi are their names. They were given those names because Prof believes in one Nigeria. Both of them had first class, one read Physics and the other, Mathematics."

Mama has a word for fellow women. "They should study their husbands very well. If a husband is difficult, you have to calm him down and not engage in scuffles with him, because a woman can never win a man in a battle. I applied day-to-day learning in dealing with Prof before I finally understood him"
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by winteriscoming: 5:08pm On Oct 30, 2013
F**k this zoning bullcrap. omo Yoruba ni mi, but if the best person for the job is from the east or the north or the south-south GIVE him/her the job. Am tired of the naira continuing to fall.
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 30, 2013
Femolacaster:
It is only in PDP that we have zoning formula. I think everybody should clamour for competent hand rather than resort to tribalism and sentimentalism.

I think not! We have a whole commission to handle that issue!
The FEDERAL CHARACTER COMMISSION.

PDP just made it "Popular" and the media blew it out of proportion, maybe because of the office involved!

*but like someone said, when will it be the turn of the Igalas, Bini's, Idoma's, Gwari's, Annang's etc?
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by jpphilips(m): 9:30am On Oct 31, 2013
Peterwins: From the listed six contenders (though others exist), I will pick Dr Sarah Alade because:

She will need to lobby the world bank, IMF, the Presidency and most importantly GOD to get the job. I will be glad if she becomes the first female CBN governor in Nigeria just as we now have the first female CJN heading the judiciary.

what has being a woman got to do with sound economic policies? do you guys even know what matters in life? SE, SW, SS, NE etc have no bearing with economic policies, all the masquerades that served under the mickey mouse vodoo economist sanusi should give us a break.

capital oil and coscharis group has already disqualified AIG, Onosede should not bother either, a review of AMCON's success stories under chike obi should give the president a head start.
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by hapson: 1:29pm On Oct 31, 2013
U all may be right, but u guys should be aware that CBN Gov. Position is a political appointment, it is base on who have the slot.
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by Malawian(m): 9:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Willywilly7:
If you don't allow the Yorubas they are going to commit mass suicide

grin grin grin grin who moderates this section? good job on allowing free speech, not those boneheads in politics.
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by Malawian(m): 10:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
IYA NGBALI: very dry joke,your cousin in a psychiatric hospital can do better. Oponu alakori,keep hating.
actually, the joke isnt dry. just immagine tinubus face when jona asks him " would you like to be the next cbn gov " grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by sessydoo(m): 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2013
Nawa oo, why una dey here dey argue based on sentiments n ethnic consideration, this "script" has been finalized almost 2yrs ago......and the winner is Aig- imhokhuede himself.....i dey laff ooooooooooooo. Naija ile i dey hail oooooooooooooooo. I will come back when d result is announced lol
Re: Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor by abbakacici: 7:59am On Dec 21, 2013
amakenny: Appointment to man a country's Central Bank must go to the most professionally qualified. Or, as well as considering qualifications, must Nigeria continue to use quota system or consideration of a candidate's geopolitical zone to employ its Central Bank governor?? Do prosperous countries in Europe, Americas and Asia also use quota system or consder ethnicitty or geopolitical background, aside professonal qualification to fill such position as Central Bank Governor? Must Nigeria be continued to be held hostage by a system that has failed it all the years regarding recruitment of experienced professionals to fill proffessional positions?
actually american, england and all asain counties used quota system, i know england called it Multiculturalism, asian called quota system, that is from example in England an indian/bristish or black bristish with like 75% have a better chance getting a job than white with 80% because the government don't want to be seeing as racist even singapore is the same Malays with 60% marks in his GCE have a better chance then indian/chinese with 80%in most government university and agency because if the same marking system is used the malay might very few student/ government in government university and work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naira Strengthens Against The Dollar As Bdc Intervention Goes On / Femi Otedola Rents Yatch To Celebrate His Birthday With His Family (Pictures) / Naira Appreciates As Demand For Dollar Gets Low

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.