Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,061 members, 7,953,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:27 PM

Doctors In The House Please Help. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors In The House Please Help. (775 Views)

Pls Doctors In The House Help Me... I'm Dying / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors / Itching Boby: Doctors In The House Pls Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors In The House Please Help. by derommyvent: 6:27am On Oct 30, 2013
Doctors in the house, my husband noticed that my goiter is swollen, please i want to know more about the diagnosis and treatment process. Thanks in advance.
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by chiketee(m): 7:09am On Oct 30, 2013
You mean your "thyroid" is swollen. How do you know know the mass in ur neck is your thyroid. What are the symptoms you have
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 30, 2013
derommy vent: Doctors in the house, my husband noticed that my goiter is swollen, please i want to know more about the diagnosis and treatment process. Thanks in advance.
thyroid swelling can be due to goitre cause by deficiency of iodine.
it can also caused by autoimmune disorders of thyroid. it can also be caused by tumour which can be cancerous or non-cancerous. diseases of thyroid can present with hypothyroidm or hyperthyroidism.
set of signs and symptoms give clue to if it is hyper or hypothyroidm. however thyroid function test is a must in to know if it is hyper or hypothroidism. in few cases if swelling is solitary it is important u do fine needle aspiration test by pathologist to know if the swelling is cancerous or not.
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by derommyvent: 10:48am On Oct 30, 2013
thepathologist:
thyroid swelling can be due to goitre cause by deficiency of iodine.
it can also caused by autoimmune disorders of thyroid. it can also be caused by tumour which can be cancerous or non-cancerous. diseases of thyroid can present with hypothyroidm or hyperthyroidism.
set of signs and symptoms give clue to if it is hyper or hypothyroidm. however thyroid function test is a must in to know if it is hyper or hypothroidism. in few cases if swelling is solitary it is important u do fine needle aspiration test by pathologist to know if the swelling is cancerous or not.

Thanks so much for your response, i was at the hospital yesterday and ran some tests; WBC, ESR and THTROID FUNCTION TESTS, but i am still awaiting the results because i was told the last one takes time. I dont understand what you mean by fine needle aspiration test done by the pathologist. Please explain.
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by derommyvent: 10:51am On Oct 30, 2013
chiketee: You mean your "thyroid" is swollen. How do you know know the mass in ur neck is your thyroid. What are the symptoms you have

Thanks for your response. Yes it is though i have been having the symptoms for a while but never knew it was it before my hubby noticed the swelling.
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 30, 2013
In fine needle aspiration 4 cytology, doctor uses needle and syringe to aspirate the swelling and the aspirates smear in slides for pathologist to see cells and describe them. The cells could be normal, benign or cancerous. Ur doctor would ask u to do this test if the swelling is solitary nodule.
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by Deolaw: 3:03pm On Oct 30, 2013
Laalamed: In fine needle aspiration 4 cytology, doctor uses needle and syringe to aspirate the swelling and the aspirates smear in slides for pathologist to see cells and describe them. The cells could be normal, benign or cancerous. Ur doctor would ask u to do this test if the swelling is solitary nodule.

Will the throat will be sliced or pierced with the needle to get the required cells?
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 30, 2013
Deolaw:

Will the throat will be sliced or pierced with the needle to get the required cells?

NO. needle is inserted externally thru skin to swelling. it is just as if u are given injection.
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by derommyvent: 9:13pm On Oct 30, 2013
Laalamed: In fine needle aspiration 4 cytology, doctor uses needle and syringe to aspirate the swelling and the aspirates smear in slides for pathologist to see cells and describe them. The cells could be normal, benign or cancerous. Ur doctor would ask u to do this test if the swelling is solitary nodule.

Thanks so much, i pray that it doesnt get to that stage.
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by Deolaw: 9:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
Okay. I have good knowledge on pathology too though on plants. I only wondered how the cells would be collected. Tx for clearing that.
Re: Doctors In The House Please Help. by Deolaw: 9:25pm On Oct 30, 2013
derommy vent:

Thanks so much, i pray that it doesnt get to that stage.

Amen

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why You Should Get Naked More Often. / FACTS On Ebola!and Lagos Emergency Numbers / EBOLA: Rivers Official Confirms Suspected Case In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.