Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? (691 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / Religious Parents Beat Son To Death In Church For Not Confessing His Sins / But Why Did Jesus Had To Die For Us...god Could Have Just Forgiven Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? by sharubutu(m): 3:46am On Oct 31, 2013
There was a mild drama during last Sunday service between a young man sitting next to me and an usher during alter call. The pastor first asked those willing to give their lives to Christ to place their right on their chest and pray the confession prayer after him, which the young man did. Thereafter, he asked everyone who prayed the prayer to take another step and come towards the alter. At that point, one of the ushers who was already moving around during the first prayer beckoned on the young man to come out, but he refused probably out of shame I guess. Now, my question is this. Considering the number of persons that will want to give their lives to Christ but can't because of the shame of being seen by hundreds and sometimes thousands of people, is it really compulsory that one must come out towards the alter to have his/her sins forgiven? Moreover, are there bible references to back such up?
Re: Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? by Joagbaje(m): 7:03am On Oct 31, 2013
It's not composolry but at the same time we should follow instruction . The pastor have good reason for calling them out. Why should someone be ashame to stand for Jesus . It shows pride really. People gave their heart to The Lord openly in bible days.

Acts 19:18
And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds
Re: Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:23am On Oct 31, 2013
Joagbaje: It's not composolry but at the same time we should follow instruction . The pastor have good reason for calling them out. Why should someone be ashame to stand for Jesus . It shows pride really. People gave their heart to The Lord openly in bible days.

Acts 19:18
And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds

Instruction for Jesus or Paul? Wonder who this guys are following
Re: Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? by Joagbaje(m): 10:17am On Oct 31, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Instruction for Jesus or Paul? Wonder who this guys are following

What's your point
Re: Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? by anibi9674: 4:28pm On Oct 31, 2013
Dat fellow never ready 2 repent. Den hw en won take go evangelisim
Re: Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? by macof(m): 5:22pm On Oct 31, 2013
You don't have to if you don't want to.
In fact you don't have to give ur life to anyone
Re: Must One Come Out For Alter Call To Have His Sins Forgiven? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:12pm On Oct 31, 2013
sharubutu: There was a mild drama during last Sunday service between a young man sitting next to me and an usher during alter call. The pastor first asked those willing to give their lives to Christ to place their right on their chest and pray the confession prayer after him, which the young man did. Thereafter, he asked everyone who prayed the prayer to take another step and come towards the alter. At that point, one of the ushers who was already moving around during the first prayer beckoned on the young man to come out, but he refused probably out of shame I guess. Now, my question is this. Considering the number of persons that will want to give their lives to Christ but can't because of the shame of being seen by hundreds and sometimes thousands of people, is it really compulsory that one must come out towards the alter to have his/her sins forgiven? Moreover, are there bible references to back such up?

There is no account of anyone, responding to the gospel of Jesus Christ, standing up and going to a minister in the NT. This contraption called an altar call was formed by modern Christianity, just like many other practices in the church today, and was popularized by the ministry D L Moody and Billy Graham. In those days some notable men of God opposed this action but it has become the norm today; to the extent that if you do not answer an altar call today, you are not considered to be saved.

When I committed my life to Jesus, it was in a private room with the help of a brother and not in the open. In fact, with the benefit of insight, I believe that privacy helped me concentrate better on the inner intercourse between me and God, which many people who answer altar calls are denied. I remember to this day, how I was dreading any of my friends would come in any moment into that room and see me “giving my life”. But when God had concluded the work, I, without knowing any scripture about confessing Christ before men, went everywhere telling people I was now saved.

I am listening to series of messages by R B Thieme Jnr, a minister I know who doesn’t support altar calling. At a point he made some calls for people to come to Christ. But he insisted that every man should make his decision in the privacy of his heart. That every man should not be denied this privacy. If God truly touches a man’s heart, he will come eventually and confess him. Joseph of Arimathea was a secret disciple of Jesus. But when Christ died, he came out publicly, demanded for his body and had our Lord buried in his own tomb.

I cannot tell how many people I know who heed these altar calls and come out unchanged. Too many of them. The truth again is that altar call has not NT basis; it may have been used by God at a time but it has outlived its purpose. Let the gospel be preached and allow men to make their decisions by their own volition. This is why religion has deteriorated to the point it has: you are told how to give your life to Christ; how to dress; how to tithe; who to marry; so that Christians cannot thinks anymore. They do not know the Holy Spirit that leads them. Everything must be dictated by a minister.

OP, altar call is not compulsory. In fact, it can be a distraction to meeting the true Christ!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

CAN Declares Fasting, Prayers On Friday / How Jews Treat Christians In Israel / The Old Time Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.