Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,844 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? (17589 Views)

Cleanest 2005 EOD For Sale @ Mileage Of 89k / Chevrolet Aveo 2005 Model With A Mileage Of 86497 For 1M / 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Se(mileage Of 4438km)just Cleared,. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by saintjoel(m): 7:08am On Nov 02, 2013
[quote author=andyanders]

U are right my brother.
OP, I will advise you not to buy a car with that High mileage at that price. No matter how they try to convince you here, in the US, it is a felony to tamper with the millage of any car as that determines the usage of that car.
By the time you start using the car here in Nigeria, the parts starts breaking down and before you know it, the car will start smoking and you will be required to change the engine.
Do not look at how the interior of a car looks as that will deceive you and even if the engine looks relatively new, also same deceit in order for you to buy it, it has been over used and will constitute a big problem to you.
With that amount, you should be able to get a good small car with low mileage.

Sir,to get a car with 60,000-70,000K,it'll be around 2011-201 and the OP has 600K,now if I suddenly turn up with a car manufactured btw 2010-2012 for 600K,won't you rush to the nearest SARS to report scam.

The more you people are fixated on mileage,the more car dealers will keep rolling it back just to swindle you.
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by saintjoel(m): 7:16am On Nov 02, 2013
whysquare4real: Please fellow Nairalander, I want to know if a car from Cotonou with a mileage of up to 170,000 km a good buy? A friend wanted to get a car for me worth 650 and he told me d mileage is up to 170,000 and he said d engine is superb. Please advice me on d issue or u may drop ur comment in my inbox ;whysquare4real@gmail.com. Please ur urgent advice is needed so I won't buy a 'problem' car. Thanks.

A word of caution,the mileage is okay for a car manufactured in 2002 but make sure your car leaves the border with genuine custom papers cos from the pix shown,your car hasn't left cotonou,if the price is actually the purchase price from cotonou,I'll advice to get an agent who'll clear your car for you,if you allow them smuggle it in,you'll definitely have other issues to worry about and I hope your BP is stable.
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by everyday: 7:28am On Nov 02, 2013
No its too old
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by orlandotch: 7:42am On Nov 02, 2013
korexdodo: Buy brand new car its better!
If he has the cash for a new car, he won't ask for your advice on mileage. Everyone knows brand new car is better.

1 Like

Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by chucky234(m): 7:59am On Nov 02, 2013
victor08: Bro, I won't advice you to buy a car of 170,000 mileage when you can get a low mileage car here that is imported from US for the same price. Poverty has really made us to change the way we think in this country. That high mileage shows that engine has been well rocked for a long time. I wonder what still remains in the engine life?

Don't Gamble with your money bro; A white man will not buy a Car of that mileage because they have their reasons; we shouldn't turn our selves to third class citizens just because we want to own a car by all means. Please save more money and buy a low mileage car if you can't afford a BRAND NEW CAR.

I hope you understand.
You knows nothing about cars so shut the fvck up, even Americans buy cars with 220k odometer reading from their neigbours and you dumbly think they do that out of poverty.
There are dead cars with 100k mileage while another car of same year with 190k mileage might have a better maintenance history, beside you dont expect a 14yr old car to come with 100k mileage.

1 Like

Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by chucky234(m): 8:03am On Nov 02, 2013
Polio: I wont really recommend anything above 70k miles with a FSH if possible.
And you expect a car of 11yrs to come with 70k mileage, what a dumb goofy.
Except the car was parked in a museum for 6yrs for preservation.
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by tucute: 8:34am On Nov 02, 2013
This is my candid advice...I have driven different cars and i know alot about cars...In this case of yours, please do some extra checks on the cars utility in the past years using the VIN number ...check to see the cars record over the year..Also pay attention to the engine of the car...confirm how cranky the engine run process is or how smooth it runs...and talking of high mileage at 170k, that shouldn't b a major issue cos a car's efficiency depends highly on the users method of maintenance so even if the mileage is high but the car it self is durable engine wise and other wise, its cool as far as its a good buy cos high mileage cars have higher drops in price rates...if i had know the exact model and brand of car u are talking about,...i would av rated the buy..whether its a fair buy or an excellent buy...Mileage plays a role of cos but in a car where the efficiency of the car is highly above par and mileage is high then purchase should be excellent...besides we have cars of even 240milage being re-energized with brand new engines.....i hope this will help you bro.
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by whysquare4real(m): 8:51am On Nov 02, 2013
saintjoel:
The car papers will b processed by a custom agent not smuggled. Most of d advice given to me on this thread has actually cooled down my BP and I think I should go 4 d car. Thanks
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by whysquare4real(m): 8:55am On Nov 02, 2013
tucute: .
Please how do I go about checking out d VIN? D car is a Mazda 626 2002 model, tokunbo from Cotonou. Thanks.
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by nobleman312(m): 9:24am On Nov 02, 2013
See as nairalander's wan turn dere self as mechanics...jst passing by!
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by umudj2009: 11:01am On Nov 02, 2013
Hey all,
Has anybody ever heard of engine setting. It has been proven that when cars make some millage their engines have set to some a millaege that they perform better than newer cars. People who understand these do not go for brand new cars but wait till such a time when it has attain some mileage and all valve and moving parts have adjusted perfectly. At this stage efficiency of the car is now garranteed. New cars do not such efficiency ratio. Yes they are good but the probability of it passing the test is also there. Do not also forget, that environment they car was driven and the maintenance culture also counts.

If you ask me, I will go for any car with some milleage on it which has passed VIN test.
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by princeonx: 1:48pm On Nov 02, 2013
The guy is asking about buying the car not wedding the car! All this talk for a 600k naira car (less than $3,700) for both car, shipping, clearing, and sellers profit!
@op, I hope you don't plan using this car for decades? With the amount you have or plan to spend, buy your car abeg and upgrade later.
Personally, I don't like Mazda. Among Japanese cars Mazda "maybe/might" pick before only Isuzu after cars/makes like Toyota/Avalon, Honda/Acura, Nissan/infinity, then Mazda, and Isuzu. IMO though!
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by armadeo(m): 1:57pm On Nov 02, 2013
gen2briz: I guess it depends on the year of the car.

My thoughts exactly. If its a 2005 car or a 2000 car I would go for the 2000 cos it means it has travelled ( I.e) less use in more time however its not a rigid rule as in the 200d car with more use could perform better than a 2000 car with problems.

My advicer if u trust your friend let him make an informed decision on your behalf and all the best.
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by Engrr(m): 2:05pm On Nov 02, 2013
[quote author=whysquare4real][/quote] The truth is that most of the so called low mileage cars in Nigeria and Cotonu were rolled back. For me I dont base the quality of cars on millage! At least cars should have an average of not less than 10K miles per year for crying out loud. It is only in Naija that u see 99 model cars with less than 50K miles
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by katyluv: 2:38pm On Nov 02, 2013
Ok,I need it how can I get it
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by whysquare4real(m): 6:30pm On Nov 02, 2013
armadeo:

My thoughts exactly. If its a 2005 car or a 2000 car I would go for the 2000 cos it means it has travelled ( I.e) less use in more time however its not a rigid rule as in the 200d car with more use could perform better than a 2000 car with problems.

My advicer if u trust your friend let him make an informed decision on your behalf and all the best.
Thanks
Re: Is A Used Car Mileage Of 170,000 From Cotonou A Good One? by IbukaDantata: 7:42pm On Nov 02, 2013
I BOUGHT MY CAR...... DIRRECT FROM COTONOU WITH 222K MILLAGE..... THAT WAS 7MONTHS AGO.....A 2002 CAR .... HAS BEEN A GREAT CAR..... IT HAS 230K NOW AND I AND YET TO LOOK AT THE ENGNE SAVE TO WASH IT..... I BOUGHT THE CAR 1M50K . MILLAGE IS NOT REALLY IMPORTANT BELIEVE ME

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Foreign Used 2017 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 N16m / PRICE DROP 18.5m!!!!!!! 08 Foreign Used DAF Truck For Sale(15 Tonnes) / 2007 Model Lexus Es350 Toks Fully Loaded With Panoramic Roof

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.