Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,261 members, 7,822,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? (1958 Views)

Reasons Why You Should Own A Diesel Car / My 2 Months Old 1999 Passat Is Giving Me High Blood Pressure / ***hello House! Which Is Better? A Petrol Or A Diesel Engine Car/suv*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 12:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
My attention was called on Saturday to a 2002 (I think; not entirely sure) Volkswagen Passat which looks clean and it seems the owner is ready to sell for 500k. it has a 1.8 4cyl engine and manual transmision.

I see that the car has been repainted, but it was done well by oven-bake.

Do u think this is a good buy, being diesel engine?

And is there really any difference in cost, as to the supposed efficiency of diesel engine since diesel is twice the price of petrol in Nigeria?

Would any of u guys buy a diesel engine Passat?
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 5:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
In case this topic or such a topic has been treated on some previous thread/threads, I would be grateful if someone will give the link to such a thread. Thanks.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
If the engine's a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder, it's not a diesel model.

Where was the car imported from?
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 7:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hey, Apologies; sorry for being late to reply on my own thread.

Siena, I don't know where the car was imported from; didn't ask, but I'm guessing it's Europe.

But the guy did say, it carries a Santana engine. Don't what this implies, but I do know that sometimes, a a supplier or builder of a particular engine may supply to more than one company for different cars.

But I'm sending now a picture of the engine so u can judge for yourself.

Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 8:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
Pics

Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 11:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
Oga Siena, I don post the pics o, including that of the supposed 1.8 4cyl diesel engine.

what's your take on it.

Others can contribute too.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 7:25am On Nov 02, 2013
Still awaiting reply from knowledgeable guys in the house.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 02, 2013
It's a 1.9 TDI model. Very cheap to run, requires less frequent servicing than the 1.8 petrol, and will last longer too.

The key issue here will be who you get to carry out your servicing. This engine will NOT tolerate roadside or non-qualified mechanics / technicians messing with it. If you're happy to take this car to a real Volkswagen knowledgable garage, or Volkswagen centre, it's a great car.

If you're going to use roadside guys, or will be opening a thread later on to ask if it's possible to "convert to petrol", then please don't bother.

1 Like

Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 12:23pm On Nov 02, 2013
Siena, thanks a lot for the info.

I asked a mechanic for my area this morning. This is what he said: I should forget it, that even the Petrol one is problematic, talkless of the diesel.

I said I was also considering a 1998 Volvo v40. He said that one too no be reliable car.

But what I'm looking at really now is the fuel efficiency compared to a Petrol car given the fact that diesel for Naija is N130-N140 while petrol is N97. Also, you can hardly get diesel that has not been mixed with kerosine for over here.

So I wonder is there really an advantage a diesel car has over petrol. I am tempted by the low price of this one (500k). By the way, the car is tokunbo o, no be used. But I also saw a clean petrol 1998 manual transmission Volvo v40. Thinking maybe that one is a better choice than venturing into the unknown; or should I say, an experiment. I'm going to be on the move a lot, within Lagos and out of Lagos with the car. I want a car that will not give me any problem whatsoever: that is, it just starts and drive whenever I turn the key in the ignition. in fact, that is why I'm going for a manual

Funny thing you talked about conversion. The guy did say, if I happen to later not like the engine, I could easily convert to a petrol engine which is cheap. The 500k price seems attempting, assuming there nothing else wrong with the car which he is hiding. I could see the back was lifted a little. The guy put in charge said it was done so that the car will not be hitting the ground. Then like I said, it has been repainted. Through done well, wondering why a tokunbo car needs to be repainted in the first place? Probably they had carried out extensive repair work on it?

But does it really covert easily to a petrol engine with no problem.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by elektra80: 12:38pm On Nov 02, 2013
lanre_front: Siena, thanks a lot for the info.

I asked a mechanic for my area this morning. This is what he said: I should forget it, that even the Petrol one is problematic, talkless of the diesel.

I said I was also considering a 1998 Volvo v40. He said that one too no be reliable car.

But what I'm looking at really now is the fuel efficiency compared to a Petrol car given the fact that diesel for Naija is N130-N140 while petrol is N70. Also, you can hardly get diesel that has not been mixed with kerosine for over here.

So I wonder is there really an advantage a diesel car has over petrol. I am tempted by the low price of this one (500k). But I also saw a clean petrol 1998 manual transmission Volvo v40. Thinking maybe that one is a better choice than venturing into the unknown; or should I say, an experiment. I'm going to be on the move a lot, within Lagos and out of Lagos with the car. I want a car that will not give me any problem whatsoever: that is, it just starts and drive whenever I turn the key in the ignition. in fact, that is why I'm going for a manual.

Abeg u fit show me where u dey buy petrol for N70. I need am
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 12:38pm On Nov 02, 2013
And by the way, is there anyone in the house using a Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI model in Lagos, can you please share your experience.

And Siena, what year do you think this car is?
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 12:41pm On Nov 02, 2013
elektra80:

Abeg u fit show me where u dey buy petrol for N70. I need am

Oh! Oh!! oh!!! Can't believe I actually wrote that. Didn't know what clogged my brain at that moment. of course, petrol is N95.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 7:43pm On Nov 02, 2013
Contributors still highly welcomed.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by FindOut(m): 11:05pm On Nov 02, 2013
That engine doesn't look clean and well taken care of for a tokunbo car...to me. Even the frame of the car sef kinda looks rugged. And this generation of passats usually still maintain their structure despite their years. Could be the shocks in that front wheel though. Something's not looking right there.

This car is definitely NOT a 2002. Somewhere between 1997-2000. You can crosscheck this yourself by looking for the sticker on the body of the car when you open the driver side door.....if the spray painters havn't sprayed over it..

I love the manual gear B5 passat, but not liking this particular one at all.

...........& maybe it's d picture quality sha.

& yes, i would buy a Tdi passat.....looking forward to having the Tdi experience in a later model passat or jetta. But for this generation of passat, my heart has been stolen by the manual gear V6 & manual gear 1.8 naturally aspirated (from Europe), both of which I've never owned, but driven.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 5:59am On Nov 03, 2013
^ ^ ^
@ Find out

Thanks for your contribution. I think I'm probably going to let the car alone despite the 500k price. I too feel something might be wrong with the car, because really, why does a tokunbo needs to be repainted at all?
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by redcliff: 7:53am On Nov 03, 2013
That's definitely not a 2002 car. Its 98 or 99. My advice.

- just merely being lied to about the year, do not buy.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by FindOut(m): 8:09am On Nov 03, 2013
lanre_front: ^ ^ ^
@ Find out

Thanks for your contribution. I think I'm probably going to let the car alone despite the 500k price. I too feel something might be wrong with the car, because really, why does a tokunbo needs to be repainted at all?

Good call. I don't know Redcliff from anywhere except seeing his posts on Nl, but this car he posted below is worth checking out if you really like the passat.

redcliff: That's definitely not a 2002 car. Its 98 or 99. My advice.

- just merely being lied to about the year, do not buy.

Yeah, this is the 1.8litre non-turbo engine from Europe. Sweet to drive, great fuel economy. Nice ride there.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by lanrefront1(m): 3:31pm On Nov 03, 2013
Thanks guys. Already zeroed my mind of the car.
Re: A Diesel Engine 2002 Volkswagen Passat? Is it adivsable to buy? by redcliff: 4:57pm On Nov 03, 2013
lanre_front: Thanks guys. Already zeroed my mind of the car.

Are you interested in the one I posted the link above. I think the mods modified it and took the link away.

(1) (Reply)

I'm Getting Tired Of This Car!!!!!!!!! / Check Abs And Brake Indications / I Need 2004 Tokunbo Mazda3 Engine 2.0litre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.