Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,277 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg (1524 Views)

Champions League Return Leg,can Real And Barca Still Qualify? / Manchester United Could Be Set For Champions League Return / India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by doyin13(m): 11:39pm On Jul 10, 2008
The current format has diluted the competition.

Wetin you lot think?
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by tkb417(m): 10:50am On Jul 11, 2008
i dont understand what u mean by the current format has dilluted the competition
nyways, ill prefer 2 or 3 per country.

Clubs like Liverpool and AC tht plays to come 4th in the league to concentrate more on the UCL will buckle up when they know there are only 2 slots available.

but come to think of it, if the competition is open to only 1 or 2 clubs per country, do you honestly think clubs like Arsenal will ever make it? i just dey think aloud o. make nobody curse me o
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by ow11(m): 1:26pm On Jul 11, 2008
@tkb

I agree. Reducing the entrants from each country will allow teams from mediocre leagues in but the latter stages would be very interesting because only teams that do very well in their league would be there. No Milan with old legs or Arsenal with inexperienced players.Finally, NO REPEAT of last seasons all English semis and final.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by dayokanu(m): 1:50pm On Jul 11, 2008
Supported. but maybe 2 per league; as we wont want to miss either Barcelona or Real Madrid all thing being equal should be top 2 in Spain.

Also that would make some clubs take their league more seriously clubs like Liverpool and AC Milan who always beleive they would enter UCL through 4 place.

This actually is not fair to clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea, Roma and other who exert themselves on all fronts

Thankfully Serie was competitive enough to kick out a lacklustre Milan but in the EPL, The top 4 is always the same no matter the dismal performance of Liverpool and Arsenal.

Arsenal & Liverpool fans would surely kick against this as I don't see them winning the league anytime soon

Also this would stop the "I am a continental champion you are a local champion argument" in recent times between Inter Milan and AC Milan & Liverpool& Chelsea/Man Utd
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by folahann(m): 2:03pm On Jul 11, 2008
Well said, since we prefer to have the champions of Belarusian league to third place team in England/Spain/Italy

then the UCL will be more interesting cos more countries are being represented

It's called champions league, so only champions shud be allowed to participate so that it cud go as the name implies

this is also going to prevent a league producing 3 teams in the semis and 2 in the final.

may be a competition lower than UCL and higher than UEFA Cup shud be created for 2nd to 4th placed teams
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by tkb417(m): 2:08pm On Jul 11, 2008
@Folahann
i think clubs like spurs and blackburn shouldnt be playing in europe.
the UEFA should strictly be for 3rd and 4th.
this will make the UEFA more competitive
1st and 2nd for the UCL
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by dayokanu(m): 2:35pm On Jul 11, 2008
Liverpool and Arsenal, AC Milan and those other teams should be in UEFA.

At least at a time when it was one per country a player like Roberto Baggio played in UEFA cup

for several years now a player like Senderos or Pennant would say he cannot play UEFA cup

@ Folahhan,

At a time when the Serie was best and much more superior to other leagues, we should have had 11 teams from serie A in Champions cup as the 11th team in Italy Genoa, Napoli and co had more quality than Arsenal and Man Utd
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by tkb417(m): 2:41pm On Jul 11, 2008
tell me the year Genoa had more quality than UTD
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by bolaoni(m): 3:45pm On Jul 11, 2008
tkb417:

[b]tell me the year Genoa had more quality than [/b]UTD

Maybe year 1805 grin grin grin

Seriously, me think the Champions League should strictly be for the Champions. That is what it is named after. Can't imagine a fourth-placed team winning the competition and still claiming to be better that its' country's champion
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by debosky(m): 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2008
I don't think doing that is feasible - the tournament would lose a lot of its widespread appeal if we started seeing more of Alania Vladikavkaz and Sigma Olomuc rather than the Chelseas and Milans of this world.

If you want simply champions and are less concerned about quality, then fine make it only about Champions. The stratification of the local leagues will only become more pronounced. Or, maybe England will split and there will be a London league and a Northern England League to accomodate the other clubs grin grin
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by tkb417(m): 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2008
chei!!! which one be Alania Kanikavkaz and sigma olomuc?
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by Mustay(m): 4:19pm On Jul 11, 2008
Blatter don dey talk to doyin small small tongue
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by folahann(m): 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2008
@TKB
i was actually being sarcastic, for UCL to be intresting and of good quality, then it needs to go on like like this

better still EPL should be given one more slot (just kidding anyway)

this competition should only get better, increase in quality season-by-season with good teams

how can u associate your self with champions and lose 8-0? what kind of champion are you?

let's get it straight. Not because i'm Arsenal fan; until 2005/06 season we usually didn't need to play UCL qualifier for some num of seasons.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by doyin13(m): 6:34pm On Jul 11, 2008
Mehn. . . . . . . .I remember the good old days of the Champions Cup, Champions only
and no group stage.

Straight into knock out.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by Hannibal: 6:48pm On Jul 11, 2008
doyin13:

Mehn. . . . . . . .I remember the good old days of the Champions Cup, Champions only
and no group stage.

Straight into knock out.

The idea is pure fuckery. . . .

What about the fact that some leagues are stronger than the others.
Liverpool(4th strongest team in England) is stronger than Inter Milan(1st in Italy). . . .
Champions League should be about the the best 16 teams in Europe and not pitting United against Shaktar Donesk or Brugge of Belgium.
Are u guys spastic?? One team per country me ass!!!!
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by doyin13(m): 7:00pm On Jul 11, 2008
This pikin don come again with im rickety rhetoric.

So when English champions could not get past the quarter finals in the 90's,
they should have been totally disregarded. . . . . .Shittttt
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by Hannibal: 7:26pm On Jul 11, 2008
doyin13:

This pikin don come again with im rickety rhetoric.

So when English champions could not get past the quarter finals in the 90's,
they should have been totally disregarded. . . . . .Shittttt

What has age gotta do with wisdom . . . . . .
Every roach, vermin and idiot on this forum knows i am more intelligent than u, oldest man on Nairaland.
Solomon was wiser than Methuselah so take a cue. . . .

English clubs couldn't get past the Q-finals in the 90's. . . . . . When did Man Utd win it?? year 3000??
Bloody poof can't shut his trap and argue like someone intelligent.
Champions league should be about the best teams in Europe. . . . If a country can provide all the 16 teams competing, then its AMEN!!!!
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by dayokanu(m): 7:46pm On Jul 11, 2008
At a time when the Serie was best and much more superior to other leagues, we should have had 11 teams from serie A in Champions cup as the 11th team in Italy Genoa, Napoli and co had more quality than Arsenal and Man Utd

At a time Sampdoria, Napoli and most Italian teams had more quality than EPL teams If they had formed a Champions league with 16 of them how would we know that the EPL has caught up?
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by Hannibal: 8:14pm On Jul 11, 2008
dayokanu:

At a time Sampdoria, Napoli and most Italian teams had more quality than EPL teams If they had formed a Champions league with 16 of them how would we know that the EPL has caught up?

U argue like an idiot, Dayokanu.

All i am saying is the best 16 teams in Europe should compete in the Champions league . . . .
The best 16 shall be chosen after the end of every season.
Today, Liverpool is stronger than Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, Porto and Lyon and they are the 4th best team in England.
If we go by Doyin's moronic idea, it won't be fair on Liverpool and Arsenal.

English clubs are so strong these days the top 4 in England would have made the Semis of UCL but for the fact that 2 of em clashed in the Q/finals.
If either Arsenal or Liverpool had met any of the other European clubs then all the 4 slots in the Semis wlda been all English.
Quality players keep coming into England. . . . The MECCA of European football.
If y'all social deviants can't live with that. . . . .Y'all should suck a camel's cock.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by bobbyL(m): 8:42pm On Jul 11, 2008
All i am saying is the best 16 teams in Europe should compete in the Champions league . . . .
The best 16 shall be chosen after the end of every season.
Today, Liverpool is stronger than Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, Porto and Lyon and they are the 4th best team in England.
If we go by Doyin's idea, it won't be fair on Liverpool and Arsenal. [quote][/quote] I feel u
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by doyin13(m): 8:48pm On Jul 11, 2008
Hannibal:

What has age gotta do with wisdom . . . . . .
Every roach, vermin and idiot on this forum knows i am more intelligent than u, oldest man on Nairaland.

LOL. . . .i guess that is why they are called roaches, vermins or idiots

Hannibal:

Solomon was wiser than Methuselah so take a cue. . . .

I will indulge you then. . . . .You are a proper SOLO.

Hannibal:

Champions league should be about the best teams in Europe. . . . If a country can provide all the 16 teams competing, then its AMEN!!!!

Then a bit disingenuous calling it Champions League, don't you think.

Haaaaa. . . . .These likkle pickneys.  tongue tongue
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by Hannibal: 9:24pm On Jul 11, 2008
@ Doyin13,

U are one funny farmer!!!!!

If u agree some leagues are stronger than the others then u have dug your own grave!!!!
Liverpool is stronger than Inter Milan . . . . If a club represents each country. . . .what would be the fate of Chelsea n Liverpool??
Doyin, make use of your cognitive reasoning tonight. . . . . Gurls are reading this thread and shaking their heads in disbelief.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by tocdee(m): 12:17pm On Jul 15, 2008

They say Blatter is silly, but those comments make him seem so wise.

Okay, let's say Red Star, Grasshoppers and Dynamo Zagreb meet the likes of Barcelona in the finals. Then we'll see;

1. How much Uefa will lose(financially and interest)
2. How exciting the match will be
3. How many fans will bother turning up for matches
3. If Doyin will bother renewing his cable (or whatever) subscription to watch Belfast Fc Vs Fc Twente! grin

Believe it or not the English 'big 4' contribute a lot to the CL fun factor and saying you're bored with them indicates something either wrong or wrong and scary.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by Ibime(m): 12:31pm On Jul 15, 2008
@ Poster:

I don't agree cos based on your proposal the only top teams in the competition next season will be Man Utd, Real Madrid, InterMilan, PSV, Lyon and Fehnerbahce. I would not even call three of those big teams. It will be very boring.

When the Champions League had one team per country, any team from any league could beat anyone else. We had Champions such as Steau Bucharest, Honved, Celtic, Marseille etc. That would not work now cos the Champions of Hungary cannot compete with the Champions of England. It will be rubbish.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by tkb417(m): 5:39pm On Jul 15, 2008
whatever. . . .
any format they adopt, United will be playing regularly. im nt f'cking interested in what happens to the other teams.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by dayokanu(m): 7:16am On Jul 16, 2008
Are you telling me the Champions league of the early 90's that had one team per country were less exciting?

Or the Champions league till 4 years ago (When EPL teams started to dominate were not exciting? Definitely all those screaming would be fans of lesser clubs who can never dream of winning their league. (Arsenal, Liverpool, Villareal)
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by eldee(m): 1:05pm On Jul 16, 2008
It's not like the Rosenborgs(with 13 consecutive Norwagian Premier League wins) are not given their chances
Beat Liverpool and Arsenal in the Qualifying rounds and you'll play the Madrids and Milans

The whole concept is giving the Norways and Russias a chance to prove that their Leagues are good enough
Why put them in the Final sixteen when they can't even beat Blackburn?

I guess we should just let Cameroun, Nigeria, Egypt and Ivory Coast automatic qualification to the World Cup
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by dayokanu(m): 7:09am On Jul 17, 2008
Believe it or not the English 'big 4' contribute a lot to the CL fun factor and saying you're bored with them indicates something either wrong or wrong and scary.

That is the problem with EPL fans they cant see beyond their noses Remind me of any world cup where the highest goal scorer or best player was playing in the premiership.
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by tocdee(m): 2:40pm On Jul 17, 2008
dayokanu:

That is the problem with EPL fans they can't see beyond their noses Remind me of any world cup where the highest goal scorer or best player was playing in the premiership.

Sorry, but is that an indication of what exactly? Say a player A scores 7 goals in a match, while Players B,C,D,E score 2 goals each for the opposing team, who wins?

By the way, what has this got to do with English influence?

tkb417:

whatever. . . .
any format they adopt, United will be playing regularly. im nt f'cking interested in what happens to the other teams.

That's a bit naive. You do realize then that the mancs would have featured just twice in the last 6 (or so ) years. Is that ur idea of 'f'cking regular'?
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by dayokanu(m): 2:59pm On Jul 17, 2008
The Delusion that the best players play in the EPL. EPL is fun to watch cos the two teams just run about. The defending is comical to say the least.

A Player( Striker from the EPL said that much. Fernando Torres said its easier to score in the EPL than elsewhere
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by PoDeep(m): 3:24pm On Jul 17, 2008
Torres was wrong. He's never played in the Orangé Ligue 1. It's easier to score there than in "monkey-post". Seeing their defenders on Goalissimo highlights alone is so disgusting!
Re: Make Champions League Return To One Team Per Country Abeg by folahann(m): 3:32pm On Jul 17, 2008
dayokanu:

A Player( Striker from the EPL said that much. Fernando Torres said its easier to score in the EPL than elsewhere

i think i've mentioned it before that Morientes, Shevchenko, Baptista & Crespo all have a different story to tell

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch English Premiership Matches Online. Absolutely Free! / Governor Mimiko Honours Godfrey Oboabona For Afcon Win With House And Money / Jermaine Defoe Bite Mascharano !!double Standard On Suarez

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.