Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,429 members, 7,954,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:05 AM

Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria (21010 Views)

The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com / Igbos Of Nigeria And Ancient Kemitians Of Kemet (Egypt) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by USnaijagrl(f): 5:53pm On Jun 14, 2006
Yeah, chinani your right. There are a lot of Albino Igbos. I have 3 aunts with this condition, but none of them had kids so I only imagine what they'd look like.

Albino strain in Igbo gene pool? That's scary interesting!  shocked
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 6:22pm On Jun 14, 2006
1 out of 20 Africans carry the gene to have Albino children.

This is how Africans brought all these various races into existence.

Here is a picture of a YELLOW albino:

Here is a picture of a white albino:

This is EVOLUTION. The idea that whites have that Black people turn white from being cold, has been proven false, over and over.

Yet whites hate the idea that Africans in fact are the Superseed of the world, that they cling to what has been proven false.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by Hero(m): 6:41pm On Jun 14, 2006
Drusilla and Food4tot, you two must be Yoruba. No one would go so far to dispute such solid facts as that in which I gave, but someone who was told something about their people that they really liked to hear,  and then later had those telling shattered by logical, well laid out and backed words from another. I've put my case on the table, let's see your documentations and self knowledgeable additives in which would dispute what I'm case that I'm giving to you.

You say that I'm taking information known to be that of the Yoruba and saying that its Igbo, yet when I broke it down and gave nearly step by step reasoning why in fact my information can't be construed as that of the Yoruba people, you still say that what I'm saying is not Igbo or SE Naija connected but Yoruba; yet you present nothing to back it up.  Show us something to back up what you're saying.

I present documentations and my own extensive personal knowledge of the situation to back my words up; now where's yours? The facts are that,  66% of the AA population is of SE Nigerian descent and the remainder 34% is others, and Yoruba genes are least representative in the group, because they were seen as not being befitting for for the Anglo slave system. Though I'd admit to their being quite a significant portion within the 34% in which are Angolan do to trades between the Latins, mainly French, who sold off many of their slaves to other nations for dirt cheap prices when they were being forced out of the Caribbean trade by the more powerful Spanish and British.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by food4tot: 6:52pm On Jun 14, 2006
@Hero

Don't jump to the conclusion that I am yoruba. Which of your facts have I not considered? I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear. What are you trying to prove to me? wink

That 80% of american slaves are Ibos and Ibibio? I just couldn't accept it as fact, neither could i let it just pass. It was too big to swallow.

I never said yorubas were 80% of slaves, my only comment was this.

How come Igbos and Ibibios couldn't make an impact on black americans while part of the remaining 20% made so much impact.

Give some food to your thoughts, can you swallow that? I couldn't.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 7:03pm On Jun 14, 2006
Hero,

I am African American.  

I think it is rather immature as a whole to think African Americans should get in this fight about who is from this tribe or that tribe.

We should be sharing the silver lining of our experience in America: That we are the most united Black people on earth with Continental Africans.

Not falling into their petty ideas of who is this or that tribe.

Except on a personal level. It may be fun for an African American to at least imagine or in some cases know which tribe of Black people they are from.

I however would hate to see African Americans get involved with these tribal politics.

We have transcended tribalism for the most part. We need to cling to that African American culture, rather than descend into the hell that some say Nigeria and other African areas have become by not realizing the simple fact that they are all Blackmen.

This is our gift to Africa. We need to give it. It is the cure for everything that ails Africa.

I protest your posts simply because as a person with more than a small interest in African American history, what your saying is not what is commonly taught about African Americans.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by food4tot: 7:03pm On Jun 14, 2006
@topic,

Inbreeding gives rise to new breeds. German shepherds are called pure breed because of continuous inbreeding.

or let us imagine that about 50000 years ago, a village priest told his fellow villagers that the plague being faced by the village would not pass away until some of their weird fellow villagers were exiled. Hence all the exiled villagers migrated and gave birth to kids like them. Whites Yellows!!! why do I have to try and be politically correct?

Just some theory proposed by me.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 7:19pm On Jun 14, 2006
food4tot,

You must be smart. Because it sounds like you have never read the ISIS PAPERS.

Which is a book by a Black Psychologist, Dr. Francis Cress Welsing.

Showing how whites are rejected Albinos. This is why they have a need to be in our house (africa) and to force us to live with them (slaves).

The rejection is ingrained in them.

Da theory is that a long time ago,

Albinos were given to the witch doctors (whathaveyou) and since scientifically 2 Albinos can only breed other Albinos.

The albinos grew up together in witchdoctors house and they married and that is where whites come from.

At some point due to the sun burning them up and the community rejecting them, they left Africa on a request to find a place that was better for them.

Finally they found Europe, which with it's deep forests and caves, was perfect for them.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by food4tot: 7:22pm On Jun 14, 2006
Without taking a micky out of "Whites", I think there is an element of truth in it.
But there must be other theories too. Do you know people naturally go lighter when there is no sun. Look at babies, most are born like "whites"!!
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by food4tot: 7:24pm On Jun 14, 2006
"Blacks" are mongrels

grin grin grin

getting one back for "whites"
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by chinani(f): 7:36pm On Jun 14, 2006
@USnaijaGirl & Topic
One thing I wanted to add about albino people is that as you know in the past there was bias (prejudice) against them (and their lineage). So a woman known to have albino children would be shunned (her children placed in the Evil forest). Her non-Albino daughters might have probs finding husbands and only be accepted by men who also have albino strains. That makes sense to me & I think it's why so so many families have multiple albino (daughters).

It's all genetics folks. I think "we look like our people". But Igbo ppl prolly carry an equal number of "dark" & "light" genes. Maybe our "light" genes are stronger than White folk? grin

I have several set of cousins with blue/hazel eyes and white/light skin. They're not albino though. However, all their family members aren't light. Generally their dads look like this and their moms are just medium brown - darker after farming smiley - and varying shades of brown eyes. THis is what I mean about "light" genes winning out when the "dark" ones are dominant.

@Drusilla
I think that pic is of a light skinned person not of a "yellow" albino.

@Drusilla & Food4tot
I don't exactly think that white ppl are secretly black albinos. For one, there is no proof that black albinos will (can) only have "albino" or white looking kids. Au contrarie, these ppl still look quite Igbo & so do their children. And the children "rejected" in yesteryear where not given to anyone but death.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by food4tot: 7:45pm On Jun 14, 2006
chinani:

. . . @Drusilla & Food4tot
I don't exactly think that white people are secretly black albinos. For one, there is no proof that black albinos will (can) only have "albino" or white looking kids. Au contrarie, these people still look quite Igbo & so do their children. And the children "rejected" in yesteryear where not given to anyone but death.

For the interest of productive argument always let people know when you are guessing and not stating facts.

Fact:

Culture differs from group to group. (one might kill albinos another might not)
Inbreeding occurs (it produces offsprings that look so much like their parents)
Offsprings sometimes deviate from parents (Evolution and Survival of the fittest)
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by chinani(f): 7:51pm On Jun 14, 2006
Food4tot, nice points. I suppose that was said for my benefit?
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by USnaijagrl(f): 8:03pm On Jun 14, 2006
Nawowoo! U all are contributing so much information, infact I don't even know where to begin to respond.

Okay let's see,

about the influence of West Africans Nigerians on the Americas: I've always learned it that, that the Igbo culture is a more  prevalent influence in parts of North America, ie Georgia, South Carolina, Virgina. And the Yoruba, are more predominant in parts of South American and the Caribbean ie (Brazil, etc.).  So I assume that the dominance of these cultures in these regions are respective to the different ethinc population of slaves. For example, there were more Yoruba slaves in Brazil, that's why their culture is prevalent.  There were more Igbo slaves in North America Georgia, and that's why there are more cultural influences and such.

chinani wrote:
It's all genetics folks. I think "we look like our people". But Igbo people prolly carry an equal number of "dark" & "light" genes. Maybe our "light" genes are stronger than White folk?

I have several set of cousins with blue/hazel eyes and white/light skin. They're not albino though. However, all their family members aren't light. Generally their dads look like this and their moms are just medium brown - darker after farming  - and varying shades of brown eyes. THis is what I mean about "light" genes winning out when the "dark" ones are dominant.

I'm begining to believe this is so. I my greatgrandmother is fairly light, almost albino looking, and I grand father on my mother side has hazel/green eyes, but reddish chocolate brown skin. Now @ first I was starting to believe that the whole blue/hazel eyes, white/light skin thing was some result to admixture because they are predominant traits of whites, but now looking into how many albinos we have, I'm begining to think this is just our natural genetic variation. In fact the theory about the albinos being shunned/exiled and therefore procreating more just like them could be an explantion to this phenomenon.

Well that's it for now.  I'm learning so much from u all's insight, but for now I must go, to work that is.  grin  Odabu!
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 8:59pm On Jun 14, 2006
Food4tot,

The Inuits (esckimo's) show that Black people do not turn white from getting cold.

Babies are born white for the same reason that a body turns white if a person drowns in the lake. Their living in liquid.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by food4tot: 9:04pm On Jun 14, 2006
Out of interest, which traceable Igbo culture exists in America today? Or are you just guessing?

@ Drusilla, I thought I mentioned sun not cold.

about baby colour, you are kidding me right?
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 9:06pm On Jun 14, 2006
Chinani,

That picture comes from a medical site. They were examining partial albino's. Leucistic Albino's. They actually have a sample of that Africans blood and were showing the picture with the blood, to show the result of partial albinoism.

People get mad if you steal their bandwidth, so I just upload it from my personal collection of pictures and not directly from their website.

Scientifically, 2 Albinos can only have Albino children. That's a medical fact.

Here is a link to a scientific article talking about the gene for white skin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/15/AR2005121501728.html

Make sure to read both pages, because the scientific information is mostly on the second page.

If you want, then when I get back we can discuss it and why it proves what the doctor said.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by chinani(f): 10:19pm On Jun 14, 2006
Nice link Drusilla. My favorite part was on page 1:
"The work also reveals for the first time that Asians owe their relatively light skin to different mutations. That means that light skin arose independently at least twice in human evolution, in each case affecting populations with the facial and other traits that today are commonly regarded as the hallmarks of Caucasian and Asian races."

Because I personally think that if "light" skin is "new" in so much as it "rose" in humans after dark skin, then it "rose" independtly many times (<2) times. Anyhow, it's interesting stuff.

But I don't see where it stated that albino people can only have "albino" or white skinned children?

And - the reason I marked some of it in red - let's not forget "albino" people, only have white skin, blue eyes (whatever) not "White" features. . .For this reason, "albino" people are not the forefathers of Europeans, in respect to the article, b/c the article & scientists say that the pigment change was correlated to the change in physical features which is not evidenced in albinos.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by chinani(f): 10:59pm On Jun 14, 2006
@Hero
I took some time to go through the links you provided.
This link: http://www./Biafraland%20Invitation%20to%20Ibo%20Landing%20dedication%20ceremony.htm
is simply an invitaiton to an event. Nothing can be substantiated from this accept the time, place and dress code.

This link: http://www./ibo_reunification_train_rolls_on.htm is also from the Ekwe Nche Organization (of Chicago). Chi-town folk, please stand up. This link also meant to be taken w/ a grain of salt. They are blowing their own horn stating "Most of the slaves brought to America and the rest of the New World came from west Africa. A good number of these slaves in turn came from Igboland." A good number? "A good number" does not equal a majority. And yet in the next line, the writer states: "In fact, an estimated 80 percent of the slaves transported to such southern U.S. states as Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Virginia are Igbos." The writer is obviously confused as he just contradicted himself in the same paragraph! Bottom line, this page is not meant to be taken as Gospel! Instead it is at once legitimazing ndi Igbo in America and inviting Black Americans to the African Diaspora.

The link about the Nsidibi ideograms & headstones in Virgina is good stuff. Thanks. smiley It's precisely the sort of stuff that I was talking about. I did a lil Google work and there are even fans from the 50s and artists in the South used the Nsibidi ideograms symbols - unbeknowest to them - in their work. I think this is proof that Igbo slaves were in the Americas but not that they were in the majority. Anyhow sha where I'm from, we don't mark graves w/ headstones, so it could be the people buried are not Igbo but asked someone skilled in Nsidibi to decorate Mummy & Daddy's grave (b/c it was lovely & affordable).

Murder At Montpelier: Igbo Africans In Virginia <---- This book I'll have to read. I don't dispute it b/c I don't dispute that there were Igbo slaves in the Americas. However, when a man starts to write about the "The importance of Igbo among the colonial slave population" he is being more than "controversial" but foolish. Yes, it is foolish to think that those who seek to dehumanize a "race" of people would think "No Edo people please, I prefer Igbo slaves. . ." That's cognitive dissidence. . .

The link about Equiano you've sent to me before on another thread. I thank you again. smiley I did a Google search for book reviews & read some more. It is conversial to say the least. From what I understand - correct me o! - Carreta, the author, bases his book on 2, count 'em, 2 documents. One is a Baptismal record when he is already 12 years old! At 12, he'd had been in American maybe 2 or 3 years. You accept the hands, script, document of white slave keepers at fact and never question if the age if factual not to mention the birthplace. What makes you think that slave masters who change names would not change birth places? That is asking too much for me to believe. The other document, is a document from a ship where he's birth is written as "South Carolina". There is no reason why this document should be right or wrong. My own orginial birth certificate claims I was born in 1894! I'm the best looking 121 year old there is! grin

Back on topic, I think Carreta is wrong. He himself finds that everything else Equiano wrote in his autobiography is correct yet he wants the reader to believe that Equiano used his imagination to create a quasi- travel narrative b/c . . . .being born an American slave isn't interesting enough? Na wa o!! Someone should've told Freddy D. . .
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by mochafella(m): 11:07pm On Jun 14, 2006
chinani:

My own orginial birth certificate claims I was born in 1894! I'm the best looking 121 year old there is! grin

erm, you would be 111!! Stop inflating your age tongue
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by chinani(f): 11:10pm On Jun 14, 2006
mochafella:

erm, you would be 111!! Stop inflating your age tongue
Really? undecided Well thanks! You're still young wink but for me, the math was 1st to go! grin I'm still a hott girl! kiss
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 1:52am On Jun 15, 2006
Chinani,

Nice link Drusilla. My favorite part was on page 1:
"The work also reveals for the first time that Asians owe their relatively light skin to different mutations. That means that light skin arose independently at least twice in human evolution, in each case affecting populations with the facial and other traits that today are commonly regarded as the hallmarks of Caucasian and Asian races."

Because I personally think that if "light" skin is "new" in so much as it "rose" in humans after dark skin, then it "rose" independtly many times (<2) times. Anyhow, it's interesting stuff.

Right. You picked up on that. This is why above I have the Leucistic Albino posted and the white albino posted.

Two separate evolutions for the Indian/Chinese and the white people.

Two different type of African Albinos.

But I don't see where it stated that albino people can only have "albino" or white skinned children?

To be an Albino both of your skin genes inherited from your parents must be recessive. So an Albino has no normal genes to pass on. 2 Albinos therefore can only have Albinos.

Here is a link to the fact that Albinos only carry recessive genes.

About 1 in 70 people carries a gene for OCA. Suppose a man and a woman each carry an altered copy of the same gene and have normal coloration. They each have a normal copy and an albinism copy of the gene, and will pass one of these two copies when they conceive a baby. They each have a 1 in 2 chance of passing on the albinism copy of the gene to their baby. As a result, for each pregnancy there is a 1 in 4 chance (1/2 x 1/2) that their baby will get two copies of the gene for albinism, in which case the baby will have no normal blueprint for making pigment, and will have albinism. http://albinism.med.umn.edu/facts.htm#how

(((Do you understand that if a ----A baby with no normal blueprint (an Albino) can not mate with another baby with no normal blueprint (an Albino) and expect to pass on a normal pigment. ----?)))

And - the reason I marked some of it in red - let's not forget "albino" people, only have white skin, blue eyes (whatever) not "White" features. . .For this reason, "albino" people are not the forefathers of Europeans, in respect to the article, b/c the article & scientists say that the pigment change was correlated to the change in physical features which is not evidenced in albinos.

Could you please post here the sentence that said it is related to physical features? I think that  bad wording of something that was said, may have made you think this is what the scientist said. I can not be sure unless I see where exactly in the article you think the scientists are saying this one gene is responsible for facial features, hair type, etc, etc.

This one gene is only responsible for part of the skin color change, not everything different about whites.

Also certain features that are supposed to be white and certain features that are supposed to be African have been disputed by people before. In particular the idea that only whites have Aquiline noses as they say, high cheekbones, etc.

Do only the Chinese have slanted eyes?

Do only whites have slim noses and 'nordic' faces?

Other things that are different about whites, are the same differences in Albino's.

Albinos are born smaller and weaker. So thus are whites born smaller and weaker. Thus their smaller parts are probably due to Albinoism, nothing special about them.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by chinani(f): 2:03am On Jun 15, 2006
@Drusilla
K, now I get what you're saying about Albino kiddies. Bio 101 was long ago for me. wink Thanks.

Could you please post here the sentence that said it is related to physical features? I think that bad wording of something that was said, may have made you think this is what the scientist said. I can not be sure unless I see where exactly in the article you think the scientists are saying this one gene is responsible for facial features, hair type, etc, etc.

This one gene is only responsible for part of the skin color change, not everything different about whites.
As far as the facial features, here's a complete paragraph from page one (my emphasis):

The work also reveals for the first time that Asians owe their relatively light skin to different mutations. That means that light skin arose independently at least twice in human evolution, in each case affecting populations with the facial and other traits that today are commonly regarded as the hallmarks of Caucasian and Asian races.
I for one, do not think that facial features are race specific. In fact I made the contrary argument months ago on Nairaland so we're in agreement.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 2:47am On Jun 15, 2006
Chinani,

I thought it was this sentence that caused the confusion. It is badly worded.

""The work also reveals for the first time that Asians owe their relatively light skin to different mutations. That means that light skin arose independently at least twice in human evolution, in each case affecting populations with the facial and other traits that today are commonly regarded as the hallmarks of Caucasian and Asian races.""

The confusion comes from the fact that generally all scientists dispute the fact that there is a biological basis for race.

So while attempting to be politically correct and not directly say that Asians or Caucasians are a SPECIFIC race.

The writer made a very long sentence to try to talk about facial and other traits of commonly regarded hallmarks of asians and caucasions.

If not for political correctness the sentence could read quite simply:

Light skin rose independently for the white and asian race.

It is unscientific to think of one gene controlling matters that would relate to size of lips, type of hair, color of eyes and color of skin. It doesn't work that way.

Anyways, check the last sentence of paragraph 3 and paragraph 5 on the first page of article. You will see that if you take the badly misworded sentence the way you have. The whole article basically makes no sense. Why not call it the gene for white hair? OR white nose shape?

I think you can agree that the wording was just confusing. smiley
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by mamaput(f): 12:46pm On Jun 15, 2006
I is blaxck my ma is black my pa is black.
All is from Nigeria6
But me is not nigerian only me ma and me pa,
Why because they born me for a landa pu .
So there for i am ananda pu Not Nigerian.
When i read some things like that i fit piss for pant.
So if by mistake me ma and me pa go back and carry me with them.
Then i am a landa pu in Nigeria. And i will marry a Nigerian what will my kids be ?
Alandapu Nigerians or nigeriansalandpu .
But they will be mixed.
swee swee sweee
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by mamaput(f): 12:54pm On Jun 15, 2006
Grandfather black from Anambra state grandmother white from germany.
Mother mixed father white from Germany.
Has never been to Nigeria .Cannot call a single Nigerian state by name,
But never says my mum is Nigerian, She says "AM nigerian"
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by food4tot: 1:11pm On Jun 15, 2006
Are you Nigerian? If you are not maybe you should apply for citizenship just incase Germany becomes a depressed economy in the next generation.  grin  grin  grin.

500 years ago, who ever thought present day Nigerians would go through so much ridicule from the 19th - 21st century?
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by mamaput(f): 1:15pm On Jun 15, 2006
That was just the answer to the first poster.
Read the first post again.
the poster says my parents are Nigerians From Imo state.
It annoys me any time i hear things like that.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by mamaput(f): 1:17pm On Jun 15, 2006
by the way that a pic of my daughter not me.
my dad is nigerian my mum german . I was born and breed in Nigeria.
Am i now a Nigerian or an alanda pu
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by food4tot: 1:25pm On Jun 15, 2006
I thought that's your picture.
When it comes to your daughters nationality, the choice is actually her's

Okoro's daughter she is.

She looks cool, I hope she is as strong as she looks. And I pray she grows stronger.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by mamaput(f): 1:34pm On Jun 15, 2006
I know its hers its her[b] BLOODRIGHT[/b]  I can even understand a Nigerian BORN in the second generation in USA claiming USA but not in the first.
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by USnaijagrl(f): 2:14pm On Jun 15, 2006
mammaput wrote:

"That was just the answer to the first poster.
Read the first post again.
the poster says my parents are Nigerians From Imo state.
It annoys me  any time i hear things like that."

I'm so confused. I have a few questions for u tho'.

What is a landa pu? Is that somewhere in Germany?

And why does it bother u the way I rep where I'm from? What's wrong with stating that I have cultural heritage that spans back to Aruondizogu Nigeria, is because I know precisely where my lineage is from?  angry Yes, I'm American ( 1st born gen.) but I know where my people are from, so why am I not entitled to claim it?

Nonetheless, glad u could join and contribute ur input. LOL!  grin
Re: Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria by mamaput(f): 4:14pm On Jun 15, 2006
Its very funny too my ears the children here with forgen parents call the name of their parents country if you ask them were they are from ,
Why do you not say """"""Iam a Nigerian"""""" why """" my parents are Nigerians""""".
If it had been my """"Grandparents """""" i would have understood

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yoruba Boys Are Wavy !!!! / Oluyin Of Iyin-Ekiti, Oba Ademola Ajakaiye Is Dead / Igbo Men Are Handsome!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.