Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,659 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:28 PM

Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer (3722 Views)

Maheeda Explains Why She Won’t Stop Going Unclad, Talking About S#x…. / Angelina Jolie At The AU Summit / John Cena Reveals: ‘I Won’t Get Married Again, I Won’t Have Kids’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Mrevildoer(m): 11:26pm On Nov 03, 2013
Angelina Jolie says she underwent a preventive double mastectomy earlier this year after learning she carries a gene that increases her risk of developing chest cancer and ovarian cancer.
In a New York Times op-ed published late Monday, the 37-year-old Academy Award winner writes that after genetic testing she learned she carries the “faulty” BRCA1 gene.
The risk of developing cancer due to the gene varies, but Jolie says doctors estimated she had an 87 percent risk of chest cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer.
Jolie, whose mother died from cancer, says she decided to have the preventive mastectomy to be “proactive” for the sake of her six children with her partner, Brad Pitt.
“My mother fought cancer for almost a decade and died at 56,” Jolie writes. “She held out long enough to meet the first of her grandchildren and to hold them in her arms. But my other children will never have the chance to know her and experience how loving and gracious she was.”
She said she has kept the process private so far, but wrote about with hopes of helping other women.
“I wanted to write this to tell other women that the decision to have a mastectomy was not easy,” she writes. “But it is one I am very happy that I made. My chances of developing chest cancer have dropped from 87 percent to under 5 percent. I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to chest cancer.”
She is anything but private in the details she provides, giving a step-by-step description of the procedures. She writes that between early February and late April she completed three months of surgical procedures to remove both br**sts.
“My own process began on Feb. 2 with a procedure known as a `bosom delay,”‘ she writes, “which rules out disease in the chest ducts behind the bosom and draws extra blood flow to the area.”
She then describes the major surgery two weeks later where chest tissue was removed, saying it felt “like a scene out of a science-fiction film,” then writes that nine weeks later she had a third surgery to reconstruct the br**sts and receive implants.”
Many women have chosen preventive mastectomy since genetic screening for chest cancer was developed, but the move and public announcement is unprecedented from a star so young and widely known as Jolie.
She briefly addresses the effects of the surgery on the idealized se*uality and iconic womanhood that have fueled her fame.
“I do not feel any less of a woman,” Jolie writes. “I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.”
She also wrote that Brad Pitt, her partner of eight years, was at the Pink Lotus chest Center in Southern California for “every minute of the surgeries.”
Jolie, daughter of Hollywood luminary Jon Voight, has appeared in dozens of films including 2010′s “The Tourist” and “Salt,” the “Tomb Raider” films, and 1999′s “Girl, Interrupted,” for which she won an Academy Award.
But she has appeared more often in the news in recent years for her power coupling with Pitt and her charitable work with refugees as a United Nations ambassador.

Yahoonews
Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by ednut1(m): 6:19am On Nov 04, 2013
Stale gist, r u jst knowing, abeg mod close thread

2 Likes

Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Mrevildoer(m): 6:35am On Nov 04, 2013
ednut1: Stale gist, r u jst knowing, abeg mod close thread

See name headnuts
Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Opiachrist(m): 8:02am On Nov 04, 2013
All dis celebrity are just been carried away because of money...i cant even seen any naija celebrity doing dis mess
Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by ednut1(m): 8:32am On Nov 04, 2013
Opiachrist: All dis celebrity are just been carried away because of money...i cant even seen any naija celebrity doing dis mess
wich mess, her aunty nd mum had cancer, nd she is also prone to it, she did d best tin, as prevention is beter dan cure, whites are nt so daft to say its nt my portion

2 Likes

Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by njuwo(m): 9:05am On Nov 04, 2013
Mr evildoer:

See name headnuts
See name mr evildoer
Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Waspy(m): 10:38am On Nov 04, 2013
Atleast a little pics won't do any harm
Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 04, 2013
rubbish. undecided

Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Fkforyou(m): 10:46am On Nov 04, 2013
So una mean say she no get real boobs again...? Chai see bad news
Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Sharingan: 11:39am On Nov 04, 2013
Jolie's brest tissue were removed and she also underwent brest augumentation.she has brest skin so her surgery was sucessful.A strong choice
Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Mrevildoer(m): 8:23pm On Nov 11, 2013
Waspy: Atleast a little pics won't do any harm

u can do me a help by posting it
Re: Angelina Jolie Removes Both Of Her Bréasts So That She Won’t Get Cancer by Mrevildoer(m): 8:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
Austeenx: rubbish. undecided

just like ur rubbish name..........anim@l boi

(1) (Reply)

[PHOTOS] Kcee’s Massive Shoe Collection Will Shock You / Davido Pictured When He Was A Kid(see Photos) / 18+ PHOTO: Rita Ora Post Nude For Cover Of Lui Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.