Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Does Engine Braking Reduce Engine And Transmission Lifespan? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Engine Braking Reduce Engine And Transmission Lifespan? (833 Views)

2004 Murano With A Toyota 2MZ-FE Engine And Transmission V.NEAT, Shocker / Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions / Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does Engine Braking Reduce Engine And Transmission Lifespan? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 04, 2013
Everyday, I take a route that has a long steep downhill portion of about 3 km. On the slope, my car garners a lot of speed. I was of the opinion that engine braking would reduce my brake pad and rotor wear.
However, I also usually notice a burning smell like with a bad clutch after the steep and fast decline.
Am I damaging my car by using engine braking?
Re: Does Engine Braking Reduce Engine And Transmission Lifespan? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 04, 2013
dsunmade: Everyday, I take a route that has a long steep downhill portion of about 3 km. On the slope, my car garners a lot of speed. I was of the opinion that engine braking would reduce my brake pad and rotor wear.
However, I also usually notice a burning smell like with a bad clutch after the steep and fast decline.
Am I damaging my car by using engine braking?

Of course not. If it does any damage, it would had been stated in your car owner's manual. However, when you engage engine brakes there is no brake lights illuminated so be careful not to engage it on busy roads to prevent rear end collisions.
Besides, Engine braking especially in Automatics have an effective range based on vehicular speed both initial and final speed.
Re: Does Engine Braking Reduce Engine And Transmission Lifespan? by icemann(m): 1:08am On Nov 06, 2013
I have heard people say it causes incomplete combustion cause its load on the engine with low fuel supply. I'm not sure that is true in injectors cause you have your MAF and IACV doing all the mixing at right proportions.

(1) (Reply)

Land Rover Owners' Forum / 1999 Renault Laguna / 2003 Corolla- Fuel Consumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.