Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,437 members, 7,850,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:11 AM

Tips On Getting A Job In The US (legal Immigrants ONLY) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tips On Getting A Job In The US (legal Immigrants ONLY) (1955 Views)

• • •Tips On Getting A US VISA / UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants / Uk About To Axe Permanent Residence Permit For Legal Immigrants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On Getting A Job In The US (legal Immigrants ONLY) by Goldenboy007(m): 3:52am On Nov 06, 2013
Hello All,

Surviving in the US starts with you getting a job first. For new immigrants; you would soon discover most US companies prefer candidates with US experience and schooling except for few lucky cases where the job functions require technical knowledge that is universal like in the IT industry.
I have once written that i do not believe in professionals going for certificate courses in the US, e.g An accountant or engineers with years of experience in Nigeria going for certificate courses in Nursing in the US, you will become a jack of all trade and master of none. Its preferable getting entry jobs in your field while acquiring their own qualifications after which you become par with their local professionals, then the sky is your limit.

Helpful Tips for getting Jobs in US

You will get a lot of sales job offer, trust me those sales job won't do you any good because 1) you don't know much people to sell to 2) Your thick Nigerian accent would always haunt you, they won't even understand you not to talk of you selling to them.

CV - You need to re-write your CV, either you get a professional writer or go online to see samples. US resume format is different from what we use in Nigeria. When writing CV, emphasize what you can do, your experience on the job, documented accomplishment. Don't believe what they tell you about 1 page CV, write those things that are relevant.

Also on your CV, when referring to the companies you worked for, state the names but remove the "Nigeria PLC, Ltd" tags. All you need is an opportunity for an interview but if they give your CV a quick scan and all what they see all over it is Nigeria they may not even call you. During interview you can tell them those companies are in Nigeria after which you would have been able to convince them you can do the job.

US employers believe in Job referencing, keep your former bosses in good accord, you would need them.

Take advantage of LinkedIn, Facebook and other social media sites to update your professional qualifications, they reference all these sites. LinkedIn is very important.

Join relevant career sites also like careebuilder.com, indeed.com, etc. Search online for these career sites and upload your CV. Especially careerbuilder ! Employer scout these sites! Register with employment agents in your locality and watch out for job fairs.

Ask me questions i would answer.

Most importantly believe nothing is impossible for God to do and stay away from negative people that tells you US is difficult. US is what you want it to be.

I was sent some vacancies by an agent, they want me to recommend people - I don't know whether i can post them here due to all these threats of being banned. Kindly advise me; chat admin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips On Getting A Job In The US (legal Immigrants ONLY) by pendusky(m): 5:25am On Nov 06, 2013
Goldenboy007: Hello All,

Surviving in the US starts with you getting a job first. For new immigrants; you would soon discover most US companies prefer candidates with US experience and schooling except for few lucky cases where the job functions require technical knowledge that is universal like in the IT industry.
I have once written that i do not believe in professionals going for certificate courses in the US, e.g An accountant or engineers with years of experience in Nigeria going for certificate courses in Nursing in the US, you will become a jack of all trade and master of none. Its preferable getting entry jobs in your field while acquiring their own qualifications after which you become par with their local professionals, then the sky is your limit.

Helpful Tips for getting Jobs in US

You will get a lot of sales job offer, trust me those sales job won't do you any good because 1) you don't know much people to sell to 2) Your thick Nigerian accent would always haunt you, they won't even understand you not to talk of you selling to them.

CV - You need to re-write your CV, either you get a professional writer or go online to see samples. US resume format is different from what we use in Nigeria. When writing CV, emphasize what you can do, your experience on the job, documented accomplishment. Don't believe what they tell you about 1 page CV, write those things that are relevant.

Also on your CV, when referring to the companies you worked for, state the names but remove the "Nigeria PLC, Ltd" tags. All you need is an opportunity for an interview but if they give your CV a quick scan and all what they see all over it is Nigeria they may not even call you. During interview you can tell them those companies are in Nigeria after which you would have been able to convince them you can do the job.

US employers believe in Job referencing, keep your former bosses in good accord, you would need them.

Take advantage of LinkedIn, Facebook and other social media sites to update your professional qualifications, they reference all these sites. LinkedIn is very important.

Join relevant career sites also like careebuilder.com, indeed.com, etc. Search online for these career sites and upload your CV. Especially careerbuilder ! Employer scout these sites! Register with employment agents in your locality and watch out for job fairs.

Ask me questions i would answer.

Most importantly believe nothing is impossible for God to do and stay away from negative people that tells you US is difficult. US is what you want it to be.

I was sent some vacancies by an agent, they want me to recommend people - I don't know whether i can post them here due to all these threats of being banned. Kindly advise me; chat admin.

thanks for the info, am scanning tru it, brb with my questions
Re: Tips On Getting A Job In The US (legal Immigrants ONLY) by africanchilds: 5:20pm On Nov 06, 2013
This is really helpful.
My Job hunt hasn't being successful since I migrated.
Even after obtaining a CNA.
My experiences hasn't helped as they lay claims to wanting US experience as well
Please what state are u,I Just followed you OP.and pm you
Re: Tips On Getting A Job In The US (legal Immigrants ONLY) by Goldenboy007(m): 1:47am On Nov 07, 2013
africanchilds: This is really helpful.
My Job hunt hasn't being successful since I migrated.
Even after obtaining a CNA.
My experiences hasn't helped as they lay claims to wanting US experience as well
Please what state are u,I Just followed you OP.and pm you

I am available now. I just called your number and left a voice message.

(1) (Reply)

Portugal Visa Approval Status If You No / Breaking!!! Nigeria Escapes Temporary US Immigration Ban / /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.