Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,682 members, 7,955,530 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:28 AM

Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy (2382 Views)

Tiwa Savage Reveals Her Baby's Face (Photo) / Wizkid,Reekado,Chidinma,Wande Coal,Others Thrill Fans At Jimmy Jatt's Show(pics / Basket-mouth And Teju Baby-face Before Fame (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 5:43am On Nov 06, 2013
[img]http://3.bp..com/-iO37bKv_dX4/Unm5LF89sZI/AAAAAAAACyw/_yo-HckVzS0/s640/trio.jpg[/img]

Anyone who has been listening to Nigerian music for some time would be familiar with the talented artist Wande Coal, super music producers Don Jazzy, and more recently, Seyi 'Shizzy' Akerele. The trio got involved in an intellectual property fracas over twitter today following Wande Coal's release of his latest effort titled "Baby Face." Listen to the song here.

For those wondering if Wande is still with the Don Jazzy-owned record label Mavin Records, now you have it. Wande quietly left the record label and has since set up his Black Diamond Entertainment.

Background

The genesis of this issue is all over the blogosphere You can check on Nairaland or my site to get a gist of how it all happened.

Lesson Learned

While the purpose of this post isn't to judge who's right and who's wrong, or who stole what. It's important for anyone involved in music production (artists, producers, and writers) to be able to define what content belongs to them.

In this situation, both songs have the same lyrics and very similar beats. The question is....who wrote the lyrics? Is it Wande, Jazzy, or some other song writer? It's quite obvious that Don Jazzy made the original beat, but who was it made for? Was it for Wande Coal, who was an artist under Mavin Records at the time, or someone else? If the beat was for Wande at the time, was there a release clause on Wande's terms of leaving Mavin records that prohibited him from working on unfinished songs? In other words, Does he have rights to all his songs, both finished and unfinished?

These are some of the questions that come to mind while dissecting this issue. An honest response to the questions will determine if indeed Wande unlawfully used Jazzy's intellectual property without giving Jazzy his due credit (Seyi Law, this no be network credit...lol).

Both upcoming and established artists must clearly define what belongs to them. Intellectual Property laws are established to reward creativity and discourage plagiarism at any level. If these laws can be implemented and strictly enforced, the issue of "he/she stole my work" will reduce significantly.

Also, if business brings two people together and they later become friends, business still takes precedence over their friendship. In fact, the friendship will be strengthened if the business terms are clearly defined and each person know what rightfully belongs to him/her.

Finally, I hope Wande Coal and Don Jazzy settle this matter amicably and take their dirty laundry off social media. Take a cue from Sound Sultan and Sean Tizzle - how they both resolved the issues surrounding Sean Tizzle's mega hit song "Sho Lee." I wish them more successes in their future endeavor.

My 2cents...

SOURCE
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by prymesolution: 6:36am On Nov 06, 2013
True talk! Terms of a contract has to be spelled out. It's business first before friendship!
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by johnwizey: 7:00am On Nov 06, 2013
Wetin concer me
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by sucreblazing(m): 7:01am On Nov 06, 2013
e no concern me...my own na to dance to the song if e sweet!!! Lobatan
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 7:01am On Nov 06, 2013
prymesolution: True talk! Terms of a contract has to be spelled out. It's business first before friendship!
I truly hope they settle their differences though.
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 7:04am On Nov 06, 2013
sucreblazing: e no concern me...my own na to dance to the song if e sweet!!! Lobatan
But they can't make good songs if they are surrounded by controversies. How you see am?
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 7:27am On Nov 06, 2013
johnwizey: Wetin concer me
Do you like their music?
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by Brimmie(m): 8:06am On Nov 06, 2013
Don Jazzy mumu small maa nor lie! undecided
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by dridowu: 8:51am On Nov 06, 2013
Wetin con konsan mi ? Se make i con dy run , na dr wahala b dat
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by AbuMikey(m): 9:34am On Nov 06, 2013

Nubia bro, You've said nothing about Shizzy yet undecided

Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 12:58pm On Nov 06, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Nubia bro, You've said nothing about Shizzy yet undecided

Good observation bro. I think Shizzy was only doing what his customer asked him to work on. He might have seen it as an opportunity to get back at Jazzy for what happened with "Go Low" though I still think Don Jazzy's version is significantly different from Shizzy's.

He should continue to work on making his beat from scratch. He looses credibility any time his name is in the midst of a controversial song. Remember Davido's Gobe.
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by AbuMikey(m): 2:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
infonubia:
Good observation bro. I think Shizzy was only doing what his customer asked him to work on. He might have seen it as an opportunity to get back at Jazzy for what happened with "Go Low" though I still think Don Jazzy's version is significantly different from Shizzy's.

He should continue to work on making his beat from scratch. He looses credibility any time his name is in the midst of a controversial song. Remember Davido's Gobe.

Spot on!!

My thoughts exactly smiley
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Spot on!!

My thoughts exactly smiley

I updated the original post on the blog. Thanks for pointing it out. Much appreciated!
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by AbuMikey(m): 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2013
infonubia:

I updated the original post on the blog. Thanks for pointing it out. Much appreciated!

You very much welcomed smiley

Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 2:08am On Nov 10, 2013
dridowu: Wetin con konsan mi ? Se make i con dy run , na dr wahala b dat
Don't run, just stay and enjoy!
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by Swiftboy(m): 5:02am On Nov 10, 2013
Plenty things about the industry aint right at all.A certain 'ill trend' to say the least! Check this out!
*Plantation Boys{2Face,Blackface,FAZE} owns African Queen which 2Face use as his evergreen hit.
*Kenis music ridiculous 2Face contract clause,especially for Grass to grace album.
*D'Banj and Don Jazzy's end to Mo'hit
*SEAN Tizle and sound sultan on the song 'Sholee'
*Terry G and Ay.com's disagreement over 'pass me your love'
*Davido outrightly photocopied Password's Gobe
*Wizkid contract problem with EME
*Brymo's ridiculous contract with Chocolate City.
*lingering piracy problems.
Now this recent one By Don Jazzy and wande coal! All this controversies are bred out of poor legislation as regards contracts and copyright laws.I mean there is nowhere else in the world where we have such bad things happening more often than Nigeria. The media house infringe copyright laws at will,the most painful part is artistes dont get paid for airplays...if there's anything,its the other way round.so you have talents that are not heard cos they cant get their song on radio and the wack ones getting airplay cos media houses only listen to your bribe in the name of 'subscription'.Things must change! The industry cant grow like this!
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 12:19pm On Nov 10, 2013
Spot on!
Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by prymesolution: 5:06am On Nov 14, 2013
Swiftboy: Plenty things about the industry aint right at all.A certain 'ill trend' to say the least! Check this out!
*Plantation Boys{2Face,Blackface,FAZE} owns African Queen which 2Face use as his evergreen hit.
*Kenis music ridiculous 2Face contract clause,especially for Grass to grace album.
Now this recent one By Don Jazzy and wande coal! All this controversies are bred out of poor legislation as regards contracts and copyright laws.I mean there is nowhere else in the world where we have such bad things happening more often than Nigeria. The media house infringe copyright laws at will,the most painful part is artistes dont get paid for airplays...if there's anything,its the other way round.so you have talents that are not heard cos they cant get their song on radio and the wack ones getting airplay cos media houses only listen to your bribe in the name of 'subscription'.Things must change! The industry cant grow like this!

Correct talk.

1 Like

Re: Between Wande Coal, Shizzy,and Don Jazzy: My Take On The 'baby Face' Controversy by infonubia(m): 4:00pm On Nov 14, 2013
Swiftboy: Plenty things about the industry aint right at all.A certain 'ill trend' to say the least! Check this out!

Well said. Good observation too.

(1) (Reply)

Female Actresses Slept Their Way To The Top True/false / And Ini Edo Is Smiling Again! Shares Yet Another 'life Goes On' Photo / You Bastard Ungrateful Broke Fool!!" - Who Has Annoyed Davido This Time Again??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.