Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,278 members, 7,954,104 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:23 PM

TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" (929 Views)

Easy Steps To Format A Window7 Computer / Technical Help With Modem / Sim Card Slot On My Laptop, How Do I Use It To Connect To The Internet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by bamiskenny: 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2013
Hi guys,

I have a 2-TB external USB SATA HDD attached to one of our servers. The disk has been working fine for quite a number of days and crucial files and documents have been saved on it while being made accessible to all PCs (shared) on the network. Few days ago, I started seeing the message "The drive F: is not formatted. You need to format the disk before you can use it". This then made the disk to be inaccessible to all users on the network. I can't afford to FORMAT right now 'cos of the files on it. I tried "chkdsk" but couldn't detect the volume. Pls help on what to do. Your advice and directive is highly welcome ASAP.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by onegig(m): 8:59am On Nov 10, 2013
bamiskenny: Hi guys,

I have a 2-TB external USB SATA HDD attached to one of our servers. The disk has been working fine for quite a number of days and crucial files and documents have been saved on it while being made accessible to all PCs (shared) on the network. Few days ago, I started seeing the message "The drive F: is not formatted. You need to format the disk before you can use it". This then made the disk to be inaccessible to all users on the network. I can't afford to FORMAT right now 'cos of the files on it. I tried "chkdsk" but couldn't detect the volume. Pls help on what to do. Your advice and directive is highly welcome ASAP.

Thanks.
change the cable.
Re: TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by bamiskenny: 3:49pm On Nov 10, 2013
I have done that and even tried it on another PCs but all to no avail. Pls help!
Re: TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by onegig(m): 5:45pm On Nov 10, 2013
bamiskenny: I have done that and even tried it on another PCs but all to no avail. Pls help!
have you tried a program tried RECUVA. Get your files of it using the software . Also change the hdd encasement.
Re: TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by bamiskenny: 12:36pm On Nov 11, 2013
Tnx soo much @onegig, I've actually changed the casing but all to no avail. let me try that recuva and see what'll happen.
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Idm Serial Number / Print Ur Document Wit Brother Printer Nd Ciss And U NEVA Worry Of Ink Cartridge / Running Android Apps On Pc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.