Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" (898 Views)

Easy Steps To Format A Window7 Computer / Technical Help With Modem / Sim Card Slot On My Laptop, How Do I Use It To Connect To The Internet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by bamiskenny: 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2013
Hi guys,

I have a 2-TB external USB SATA HDD attached to one of our servers. The disk has been working fine for quite a number of days and crucial files and documents have been saved on it while being made accessible to all PCs (shared) on the network. Few days ago, I started seeing the message "The drive F: is not formatted. You need to format the disk before you can use it". This then made the disk to be inaccessible to all users on the network. I can't afford to FORMAT right now 'cos of the files on it. I tried "chkdsk" but couldn't detect the volume. Pls help on what to do. Your advice and directive is highly welcome ASAP.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by onegig(m): 8:59am On Nov 10, 2013
bamiskenny: Hi guys,

I have a 2-TB external USB SATA HDD attached to one of our servers. The disk has been working fine for quite a number of days and crucial files and documents have been saved on it while being made accessible to all PCs (shared) on the network. Few days ago, I started seeing the message "The drive F: is not formatted. You need to format the disk before you can use it". This then made the disk to be inaccessible to all users on the network. I can't afford to FORMAT right now 'cos of the files on it. I tried "chkdsk" but couldn't detect the volume. Pls help on what to do. Your advice and directive is highly welcome ASAP.

Thanks.
change the cable.
Re: TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by bamiskenny: 3:49pm On Nov 10, 2013
I have done that and even tried it on another PCs but all to no avail. Pls help!
Re: TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by onegig(m): 5:45pm On Nov 10, 2013
bamiskenny: I have done that and even tried it on another PCs but all to no avail. Pls help!
have you tried a program tried RECUVA. Get your files of it using the software . Also change the hdd encasement.
Re: TECHNICAL HELP!!! "You Need To Format The Disk Before You Can Use It" by bamiskenny: 12:36pm On Nov 11, 2013
Tnx soo much @onegig, I've actually changed the casing but all to no avail. let me try that recuva and see what'll happen.
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

How To Free Up Space On Your Stubborn Android Phone Using Sdmovable Apps / How Can I Recover My Files From A Partially Corrupt Hard Disc / Clean Uk Used Acer Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.