Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,386 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Yoruba People Help Me Out - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba People Help Me Out (4122 Views)

Please Yoruba People Help Me With This Word In Meaning / 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) / The True Identity Of The Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba People Help Me Out by yorubaamerican(m): 11:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
What does it mean if someone is the Aregbe Omo Balugun of Ibadan Land?
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by hammedkola(m): 2:16am On Nov 10, 2013
I think this is the correct write up; Aregbe omo balogun of Ibadanland

Well, Aregbe is a name.

Balogun is a name/title given to someone that leads the war in the olden days, though some people bear the name these modern day due to lineage, but the chieftancy title still exist till today.

Omo mean child in Yoruba language

Ibadan is the state capital of Oyo state in Nigeria, its popular called the largest city in West Africa and also known for red roofing sheet grin

So finally what your translation mean is

Aregbe the Son of Balogun of Ibadan land.

Hope this is helpful for what you need it for?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by yorubaamerican(m): 9:49am On Nov 10, 2013
hammedkola: I think this is the correct write up; Aregbe omo balogun of Ibadanland

Well, Aregbe is a name.

Balogun is a name/title given to someone that leads the war in the olden days, though some people bear the name these modern day due to lineage, but the chieftancy title still exist till today.

Omo mean child in Yoruba language

Ibadan is the state capital of Oyo state in Nigeria, its popular called the largest city in West Africa and also known for red roofing sheet grin

So finally what your translation mean is

Aregbe the Son of Balogun of Ibadan land.

Hope this is helpful for what you need it for?

OK, so what does the title come with? Is it just prestige?
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by Afam4eva(m): 10:33am On Nov 10, 2013
Aregbe has a literal meaning. Doesn't it? I doubt the meaning is "Aregbe the Son of Balogun of Ibadan land". It sounds like a chieftaincy title and the real meaning will be known when we find out the meaning of Aregbe.
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by hammedkola(m): 11:38am On Nov 10, 2013
yorubaamerican:

Yes, it is..........Its like saying "Seun the owner of Nairaland forum"

You know you can simply call him "Seun" by his name but, the prestige is there when you add "the owner of Nairaland forum" to the name smiley smiley

Afam4eva: Aregbe has a literal meaning. Doesn't it? I doubt the meaning is "Aregbe the Son of Balogun of Ibadan land". It sounds like a chieftaincy title and the real meaning will be known when we find out the meaning of Aregbe.

The Yoruba names can be nominal or sentential and the names has been classified into three:
Given Names (Oruko Amutorunwa),
Ascribed Names (Oruko Abiso),
and Pet Names (Oriki)

The Aregbe in talk can be classified as an Ascribed name which is given as a result of an happening that occur during the birth of the child.
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by yorubaamerican(m): 2:50pm On Nov 10, 2013
Afam4eva: Aregbe has a literal meaning. Doesn't it? I doubt the meaning is "Aregbe the Son of Balogun of Ibadan land". It sounds like a chieftaincy title and the real meaning will be known when we find out the meaning of Aregbe.

It's definitely a chieftaincy title...
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by hammedkola(m): 3:05pm On Nov 10, 2013
yorubaamerican:

It's definitely a chieftaincy title...

Nope, you are wrong. Aregbe is a name, NOT a title.
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by Afam4eva(m): 3:23pm On Nov 10, 2013
hammedkola:

Nope, you are wrong. Aregbe is a name, NOT a title.
Aregbe itself is a name but when added to the other names is a title.
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by hammedkola(m): 5:37pm On Nov 10, 2013
Afam4eva:
Aregbe itself is a name but when added to the other names is a title.

Can you give me an example Mr. James Orji
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by tpia5: 8:26pm On Nov 10, 2013
nice try @ op.
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by yorubaamerican(m): 8:47pm On Nov 10, 2013
tpia@:
nice try @ op.

What do you mean?
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by macof(m): 3:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
yorubaamerican:

In the old days, balogun was the title for the commander of the Ibadan army
Re: Yoruba People Help Me Out by tpia2005: 5:58am On Dec 29, 2014

(1) (Reply)

Drake And Rihanna In African Attire / The Precolonial Slave Trade Of Igbo's In Picture / U.f.o. Sightings In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.