Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? (2916 Views)

What It Is Like Coming From A Poor Background, And The Way To Succeed In Life. / Would You Advice Your Daughter/son To Marry Someone Like You? / Women And Regret: When There Marry Someone Thinking He Is Rich(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by DanTrizy(m): 1:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
I just want to ask this question and see what your answers are.
Nairalanders can you marry someone from a poor background?
.Yes
.No
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Tintedliz(f): 1:48pm On Nov 10, 2013
Doz it rili mata wat backgrnd the pesin is 4m? Luv is al dat truly mataz.. 1st 2 comment, hapi sunday pals.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by castielo(m): 2:02pm On Nov 10, 2013
Tintedliz: Doz it rili mata wat backgrnd the pesin is 4m? Luv is al dat truly mataz.. 1st 2 comment, hapi sunday pals.
If ah land yhu! ..luv ko, luv ni

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 10, 2013
if d person is responsible nd has a bright future, why not
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by obowunmi(m): 2:13pm On Nov 10, 2013
If she is educated, comes from a good family, and has a good job. Why not?

A woman with good and sound education will always be useful.

But poor, uneducated, horrible family, bad values, no job, sleeping around to feed? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
So many of them in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by DanTrizy(m): 3:58pm On Nov 10, 2013
Pweedylipsmoi: if d person is responsible nd has a bright future, why not
Hmmmm so if he doesn't then?
You are not straight forward with ur answer. I was thinkin u can marry a guy from a poor background, becos of true love and then change his life for good.
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 10, 2013
DanTrizy: Hmmmm so if he doesn't then?
You are not straight forward with ur answer. I was thinkin u can marry a guy from a poor background, becos of true love and then change his life for good.

Well is the ulterior motive of the poor person that the rich person will change his/her life for good?how can this be love? The poor person should have a plan for changing his/her life for good.
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by greatgod2012(f): 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2013
Does coming from poor family means the person will also be poor, if not, then why not?? I, personally think character and prospect of the person is more important than his/her family background.

I married my man and he's from poor background, he was also still poor financially then, but very rich in character and prospect, 8+ years now and still counting, i've never regretted marrying him, because we've built ourselves together, we've pooled our resources together, though we aint very wealthy, but now, we are comfortable to some extent, so, op, there is nothing wrong in someone marrying from a poor background, its the person involved that matters.

May God help us all.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by greatgod2012(f): 4:40pm On Nov 10, 2013
Is it not better for one to first be poor and later become rich than for one to first enjoy and suffer later?
"ayipada eni ti ko lowo san ju ayipada olowo"...........so many examples full ground yakata for us like our country's president, baba Obj, MKO Abiola, etc................

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by dayokanu(m): 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2013
Their background does not determine where they would end up

Goodluck Jonathan was the son of an ordinary Fisherman those girls that declined to marry him then would be full of regrets now

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Freiburger(m): 6:10pm On Nov 10, 2013
DanTrizy: I just want to ask this question and see what your answers are.
Nairalanders can you marry someone from a poor background?
.Yes
.No
Please define poor background for us first.
Another typical Nairaland question. cheesy
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by aadetoyin(f): 7:09pm On Nov 10, 2013
Yes, so far he is not planning to stay poor forever
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by DanTrizy(m): 8:08pm On Nov 10, 2013
dayokanu: Their background does not determine where they would end up

Goodluck Jonathan was the son of an ordinary Fisherman those girls that declined to marry him then would be full of regrets now
Hmm really, i dnt know about GEJ's early life.
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Kanwulia: 3:42am On Nov 11, 2013
Only OUTSIDE Nigeria! kiss
In NIGERIA, that would be the HEIGHT OF ALL INSULTS!!!!
Tufiakwaaaaaah!!!!! cry
What does a POOR, NIGERIAN-NIGGA know about LOVE? undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Sissie(f): 10:28am On Nov 11, 2013
Yes if he does not have a poverty mentality, some people from poor background even after they become rich still have that poverty mentality.

Am assuming the question is asking about someone who grew up poor but have made it already, or on his way to making it (financially)
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 11, 2013
Is marriage only for the rich??
Abi na only rich people dey always dey marry??

Chineke meeee....
See queshun??
cheesy
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by jaybee3(m): 11:10am On Nov 11, 2013
It depends to be honest. I don't want to marry someone then have her whole family depend on me as the less privileged sometimes do in Nigeria.

If marriage is seen as a passport to wealth then i sure don't want to be marrying someone whose only reason for marrying me is for what's in it for her and her family.
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by slimyem: 11:44am On Nov 11, 2013
jay bee: It depends to be honest. I don't want to marry someone then have her whole family depend on me as the less privileged sometimes do in Nigeria.
^^^
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Alfoasegh: 1:31pm On Nov 11, 2013
Most women from poor background are very terrible as wives especially when they stumble on wealth later in their marriages. Pls avoid them like plague.
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Polio: 1:33pm On Nov 11, 2013
I dont have a problem with it .. as long as she understands that the rest of her family wont succeed in taking a piss and depend on me for every single thing! They will be disappointed if they are excessively demanding
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by DanTrizy(m): 2:47pm On Nov 11, 2013
Sissie: Yes if he does not have a poverty mentality, some people from poor background even after they become rich still have that poverty mentality.

Am assuming the question is asking about someone who grew up poor but have made it already, or on his way to making it (financially)
So what you are trying to say is that, even though he is rich but still has the poverty, you wont marry him?
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by DanTrizy(m): 2:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
jay bee: It depends to be honest. I don't want to marry someone then have her whole family depend on me as the less privileged sometimes do in Nigeria.

If marriage is seen as a passport to wealth then i sure don't want to be marrying someone whose only reason for marrying me is for what's in it for her and her family.
Hahah real funny bro, that means you wont help the poor grin

Hahah real funny bro, that means you wont help the poor
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by DanTrizy(m): 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
AmBeautiful: Is marriage only for the rich??
Abi na only rich people dey always dey marry??

Chineke meeee....
See queshun??
cheesy
My oga d questn be sey, if u rich u fit decrease ur ego, go marry person wey poor wey no even dey of ur class?
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by DanTrizy(m): 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
Alfoasegh: Most women from poor background are very terrible as wives especially when they stumble on wealth later in their marriages. Pls avoid them like plague.
Hmmmmm, have u come across one?
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 11, 2013
Yes . . .
As far as he's not poor himself! cool cool
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by deols(f): 3:30pm On Nov 11, 2013
Is poor background a disease? If I can be happy with him, Why not? And his poorness ia not going to bring me down. Why not?

But if he is poor and has a low self esteem or complains about being poor or has family members with roving eyes or will question my moves or is lazy or wants me to move into his poor neighbourhood.

Or wants to shove his poorhood mentality down my throat, abeg ohhh. The poorness will matter!!
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by deols(f): 3:34pm On Nov 11, 2013
On a much more serious note,

What is the definition of poor?

Person claiming rich here is probably poor when compared with other people.

Pot calling kettle black grin

Anyways, I have answered Op's question grin
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Sissie(f): 3:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
DanTrizy: So what you are trying to say is that, even though he is rich but still has the poverty, you wont marry him?

if a man is rich and has poverty mentality, no i wont marry him. poverty mentality is worse than just been poor.
i would rather marry a poor man with a good mentality.
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by jaybee3(m): 3:50pm On Nov 11, 2013
DanTrizy: Hahah real funny bro, that means you wont help the poor grin Hahah real funny bro, that means you wont help the poor
There are other ways to help the poor other than signing a life contract with someone whose only reason for doing so is because of the financial gain they are bound to make.
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by deols(f): 3:52pm On Nov 11, 2013
Sissie:

if a man is rich and has poverty mentality, no i wont marry him. poverty mentality is worse than just been poor.
i would rather marry a poor man with a good mentality.

Does this mean that even though he is rich, he wants to live poor. Won't spend on himself nor on his family
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by BarryX(m): 3:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
The question has no straightforward answer !!

A lot of definitions have to be put forward explicitly to understand how to go about answering it .

If being rich is from Dangote standards then I'm from a broke-as.s s family then grin grin

And if being poor is from the $1 daily standard then i'm from very stinking wealthy family. grin grin

To answer the question::
Hmmm

It depends on how the girl I'm getting married to define her background.

Comprende
Re: Can You Marry Someone From A Poor Background? by Sissie(f): 4:03pm On Nov 11, 2013
deols:

Does this mean that even though he is rich, he wants to live poor. Won't spend on himself nor on his family

yes, he behaves poor, spends little on his family even though he has much, he's fixated on money.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Men Who Have Sex With Strangers For Free To Help Them Have Babies / Donor: In Desperate Need Of A Child / So Unfair To Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.