Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,625 members, 7,955,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:45 PM

The Philosophy Of The Ant - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Philosophy Of The Ant (779 Views)

Bsc Philosophy Or HND Mass Communications? / Jobs For Philosophy Student And Graduate / What Can A Ppe(philosophy,politics,economics) Do For You In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Philosophy Of The Ant by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2013
Ants, I love them. Not in the sense of having them swarm allover me, my food or my belongings. I actually can't stand them, and once in a while I quash some a'dem astraying 'pon me skin, and that's not personal, just an act permitted by nature to check their proliferation.

I however, like the way of the Ants. Every aspect of the Ants' life intrigues me. I have begun to see beyond the Ant as a nuisance, that sometimes rather than rush to terminate them, I prod them on their way, even removing obstacles for them.

I know there are classifications and strata within the Ant kingdom, but this isn't what I'm about here. It's the simple living Ant we come across on a daily basis that I intend to muse about.

Ants are hardworkers. I doubt that they take out any time to sleep, for if there's food to be made or gathered, in effect work to be done, they just simply do it (methinks, NIKE stole their maxim for their brand). In doing this they understand very much the power in communal work. Though, they can carry 'goods' bigger and weightier than their individual sizes, Ants less busy or without loads easily help relieve another that's heavily laden without let. In most humans, you'd find that there must be som'n to be gained for such acts of help to be rendered.

You cannot ascribe selfishness to the Ant, as individual Ants when they come upon an opportunity like a cube of sugar, nibble a bit off not to go hide in a corner to indulge, but rather go back to the "clan" to share a taste of the "find" or discovery, so that with more hands, the " chunk" can be brought back home for the benefit of the many. This behaviour isn't what you'll routinely find with man, even when the one that found the opportunity does not possess the requisite technology or necessary acumen required to fully exploit such.

In going about it's daily business, you'll find the Ant a fearless executor, focused and unperturbed by stumbling blocks along its path. Even when the stumbling block is the human or the occasional lizard. Danger surely must be secondary in their pursuit of their means of livelihood. They would gladly walk into the midst of danger if it lies on their path. Many will consider this act of theirs foolish, but many a time, they've succeeded in their endeavours while staring at danger right in the face. Many a man have failed to kinetize their potentials just because they "smelt" danger, even when in actual fact there was none.

Ants aren't QUARRELSOME in nature, I find it rather interesting when they come in contact with one another on a single path, to and fro. You'd think they were blind and didn't see the oncoming traffic, but you'd find later that they take sometime engaging in what a friend described as "kissing", though for me it looks more like the sharing of notes on what lies ahead for either travellers, the kind of cooperation rarely exhibited by the so called highly intelligent man in what they call "TRADE SECRETS", which they fear may be leaked to opposition.
I am reminded of the many times I'd had to be delayed in traffic just because "INTELLIGENT" HOMO SAPIENS refused to allow each other the "Right Of Way" on very busy roads at 'RushHour'. If only they could learn from the Ant.

The Ant is a Shrewd business inclined creature, not a spendthrift but a huge saver, always storing for the possibility of winter, for aridity and the season of drought. It undertakes this business of storing with all sense of responsibility, even when it's unsure of its mortality. Most humans live for now, further endangering the certainty that today's savings and planning could enable for a bountiful tomorrow, because they feel they don't know what "Tomorrow'll bring".

There's more to the Ant, than the few postulated herein, maybe you'd like to share, but I guess you cannot but agree with me that we surely do have a lot to learn from these tiniest of macro-creations. They've mastered what Man hasn't been able to employ for ages.

'kovich

THE PHILOSOPHY OF THE ANT | madukovich's cogitations - http://madukovich./2013/11/11/the-philosophy-of-the-ant/

3 Likes

Re: The Philosophy Of The Ant by pendusky(m): 5:01pm On Nov 11, 2013
i love this piece. thnks for sharing

1 Like

Re: The Philosophy Of The Ant by 1forall: 1:33pm On Nov 13, 2013
Even the Word of God refers to the ant as wise and refers lazy people to study their ways - Proverbs 6.6

1 Like

Re: The Philosophy Of The Ant by lockedOut: 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
A lovely creature they are, Infected ants have been known to leave their colonies and wander away to die so as not to infect others in the colonies...
Re: The Philosophy Of The Ant by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
lockedOut: A lovely creature they are, Infected ants have been known to leave their colonies and wander away to die so as not to infect others in the colonies...

Wow! Now that act of self-quarantining is one that's totally off da hook.

Not like most humans who are aware of their HIV+ status yet go ahead to have unprotected sex with uninfected partners, ignorant of their status.
Re: The Philosophy Of The Ant by jakeschafer: 9:57am On Jul 04
The philosophy of the ant can be seen as a testament to resilience, cooperation, and diligence. Ants are remarkable for their ability to work collectively towards a common goal, often showcasing extraordinary levels of teamwork and perseverance. Each ant plays a specific role within its colony, demonstrating the importance of individual contributions to the success of the whole. This tiny creature's dedication and industrious nature serve as a powerful metaphor for human behavior, reminding us that persistent effort and collaboration can overcome even the most daunting challenges. Interestingly, while ants are fascinating in their natural habitat, they can become problematic when they invade human spaces. For those facing such issues, solutions like outdoor ant killers can be found to manage these persistent pests effectively. For more information on managing ant infestations, you can visit this helpful resource: The Ant Vault.

(1) (Reply)

Can't Believe That My Unemployed Cousin Is About To Make His First Million Naira / An NGO Networking Opportunity Is Here Now In Nigeria / I Wish To Learn Laboratory Instrumentation And Control... Pls Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.