Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,001 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

World Pneumonia Day!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Pneumonia Day!!! (4415 Views)

World Pneumonia Day:toyin Saraki Calls For Effective Preventive Treatment / Today Is World Pneumonia Day / The Best Drug To Fight Pneumonia Plsssssssssss (2) (3) (4)

World Pneumonia Day!!! by MEDENHANZ: 9:56am On Nov 12, 2013
Every year on 12 November, World Pneumonia Day is celebrated across the globe to raise awareness about pneumonia; promote interventions to protect against, prevent and treat pneumonia; and generate action to combat pneumonia. Pneumonia is an infection in one or both of the lungs.

It is a form of acute respiratory infection that affects the lungs, making breathing painful and limiting oxygen intake. Pneumonia has many possible causes. The most common are bacteria and viruses in the air we breathe. Your body usually prevents these germs from infecting your lungs. But sometimes these germs can overpower your immune system, even if your health is generally good.

Pneumonia can affect anyone but the two age groups at highest risk are:

Infants and children younger than age 2 years, because their immune systems are still developing
People older than age 65
Other risk factors include
People who have had a recent viral infection - such as a cold or flu, Smokers,
People with chronic lung conditions, People with suppressed immune systems
People who drink excessive alcohol, Patients in hospital People who have had strokes
The Symptoms of pneumonia vary from mild to severe. Most people who develop pneumonia initially have a viral infection such as a cold or ‘flu, which produces symptoms such as headache, muscle aches and fever. If pneumonia develops, symptoms commonly include high fever, shaking chills, cough with phlegm that doesn't improve or gets worse, and shortness of breath with normal daily activities, chest pain when you breathe or cough.
In babies and children, symptoms may be less specific and they may not show clear signs of a chest infection. Commonly they will have a high fever, appear very unwell, and become lethargic. They may also have noisy or ratty breathing, have difficulty with feeding and make a grunting sound with breathing.

Pneumonia prevention and treatment is possible, and can save millions of lives

• Practice good hygiene. To protect yourself against ordinary respiratory infections that sometimes lead to pneumonia, wash your hands regularly or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Don't smoke. Smoking damages your lungs' natural defenses against respiratory infections.
• Stay rested and fit. Proper rest, a healthy diet and moderate exercise can help keep your immune system strong.
• Ensure that children have adequate nutrition, including exclusive breastfeeding during the first six months of life, can help protect them from pneumonia.
• Set an example. Stay home when you're sick. When you're in public and have a cold, catch your coughs and sneezes in the inner crook of your elbow.
• Early diagnosis of pneumonia ensures that children receive early and appropriate medical care.
• The use of vaccines against pneumococcus, and other diseases can help prevent pneumonia before it occurs.
• Reduce environmental risk factors, such as overcrowding in homes, exposure to tobacco smoke and indoor air pollution are also important protective measures.
Treatment options are dependent on the type of pneumonia―viral or bacterial―with which a person is infected.

Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by duerap: 1:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
okay
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by TreasuredGlory: 1:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
Booked
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
Oya let's give pneumonia a round of applause....grin
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Raymondfayowole(m): 1:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
I remembered back in sec sch i had problem spellin dis

cnt belive i forgot aw 2 spell it grin
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Ezedon(m): 1:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
OK but we will always pray for good partner to keep us warm
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by ajayi147(m): 1:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by gen2briz(m): 1:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by badmeat(m): 1:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thank God for original Niger delta kai kai!wetin concern me with pneumonia.grin
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by sagio09: 1:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
May Almighty Allah cure those affected with nd prevent us from every disease.

Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Dannylux: 1:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
Happy Pneumonia
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Pray(m): 1:51pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for this information. My three yaer old son had pneumonia recently and ha sto take him for treatment. I dont use perfume or body spray around him cos he is allergic to that. Thanks.

Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Rexhenrex(m): 1:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
Small time nw u wil tell us tomorrow is world cough day.
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Gifted4all(m): 2:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
When is world konji day
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Okaka27(m): 2:11pm On Nov 12, 2013
And so?? undecided
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Texykool: 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
Gifted4all: When is world konji day

February 14

See as peepu just dey book space sha... God is watching U... In HD.
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by kzokul(m): 2:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
Everytin 4 dis life gt hm day sha.......wat of gornohea and syphillis day.........
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by imsuboi(m): 2:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Nice Write-up OP

phayvorr: Oya let's give pneumonia a round of applause....grin

Pharaoh9: Ok, happy pneumonia to all nairalanders

LOL! Crazy fellows grin
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by xclusive43(m): 2:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
sagio09: May Almighty Allah cure those affected with nd prevent us from every disease.
Ameen
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by packman: 3:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
[size=20pt] lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed :-XoK HAPPY pneumonia DAY ALL pneumonia PATIENT shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked[/size]
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Nikapetrelli(f): 3:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
Let me just write sometin
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by gnot: 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
my doctor stops me from eating animal protein and diary angry angry. simply because i m having neemonia
Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Ignatio(m): 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
This is one dangerous disease. I had of recent. It nearly killed me. Still recovering.
Try to avoid this infection because it will f.uck You up.

Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Getrich47(m): 6:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Wen I was an infant I used to have this pneumonia in jos then...bt I thank God its all gone nw....it was so bad dat dey had to put drip on my forehead....#dad told me dat

Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by Mogenerous(f): 8:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
I was a patient, like 4years ago! Now i'm heal buh it left me with minor chest infection to nurse now... I hope i heal off soon... It sucks

Re: World Pneumonia Day!!! by dominique(f): 11:50am On Nov 13, 2013
Mogenerous: I was a patient, like 4years ago! Now i'm heal buh it left me with minor chest infection to nurse now... I hope i heal off soon... It sucks

Ehyah sorry, you're healed by God's grace. I've never heard of a lingering infection after treating pneumonia, did you not complete the dosage?

How To Take Care Of Your Virgina To Avoid Smell, Infection Or Abnormal Discharge / A Must Read For Every Lady!t Is Horrible. / Man With The Largest Joystick, 5kg Scrotum, 3ft Joystick Undergoes Surgery(Pics)