Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,083 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? (1230 Views)

Reactions To Westgate Murders By Muslim Scholars/imams / MEND Threatens To Bomb Mosques & Assasinate Imams / Why Are Muslim Imams Not Buying Private Jets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by hotncold1(m): 7:37am On Nov 14, 2013
Peace be unto this house.The aim and purpose of this thread,is to seek for education and information.

This thread is not in any way to mock or cast apersion on the muslim brethren here or any other place for that matter.

Now can someone please educate me on why some(the ones I have seen so far)Alfa/Imams keeps their beards long?

Thank you!
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by tbaba1234: 7:54am On Nov 14, 2013
Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu Bakr ibn Nafi from his father Nafi from Abdullah ibn Umar that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, ordered the moustache to be trimmed and the beard to be left.

Malik :: Book 51 : Hadith 51.1.1

The Prophet salallahu alleyhi wa salam said, " Cut your moustaches and leave your beards alone! Be different from the people of the scripture." ( sahih Muslim )

"Cut the moustaches and grow your beards. Be different from the Magians" (followers of a religion that dominated in Persia.)
( sahih Muslim )

It is an act of identity for the muslim as instructed by the messenger (peace and blessings be upon him).

1 Like

Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by ednut1(m): 7:58am On Nov 14, 2013
Even d king of saudi don't hv beards Y
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by tbaba1234: 8:06am On Nov 14, 2013
ednut1: Even d king of saudi don't hv beards Y

Maybe he is of the view that it is not obligatory.
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by hotncold1(m): 8:11am On Nov 14, 2013
tbaba1234:

Maybe he is of the view that it is not obligatory.

So are you saying that"keeping beard"isn't obligatory for muslim?
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by tbaba1234: 8:13am On Nov 14, 2013
hot n cold:

So are you saying that"keeping beard"isn't obligatory for muslim?

There are different opinions. Some people are of the opinion that it is compulsory, others hold a different view.
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by hotncold1(m): 9:04am On Nov 14, 2013
tbaba1234:

There are different opinions. Some people are of the opinion that it is compulsory, others hold a different view.
So in essence,there is no general consensus that clerics should or must keep their beards?
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by hotncold1(m): 9:41am On Nov 14, 2013
Well...what do you know?

@Username,thanks for your contribution.Although at this junction am a bit confuse here,going by the quotation and verses you mentioned in your post,its also different from what Tbaba1234 quoited and educated me on.

I tend to agree with your post and the questions you raised

I'm also curious to see if Tbaba will agree or disagree with you.

Peace
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by tbaba1234: 11:25am On Nov 14, 2013
usermane: Peace.
Thank u op. This is an important issue. It is good you did not just assume that growing beard is Islamic,but came here to find out. Because growing beards is an issue of personal choice and has nothing to do with Islam. There is not a single verse in the Qur'an that recommend keeping beards or trimming mustache. This practice was innovated into Islam from the old testament after the death of the prophet by those who the Qur'an spoke of in this verse; Qur'an 6:112.

Source of Innovation
[Leveticus 19:27] You shall not run off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard.
[Leveticus 21:5] They shall not make tonsures upon their heads or shave the edge of their beards,nor make any cutting in their flesh.
Note that these verses allow the mustache to be trimmed by being silent about it.

Innovations.
Sahih Muslim, Bk of purification contains hadiths that order this innovative practice. Besides these, there are other hadith that term shaving of beards as sinful or an act of disbelief.

Unfortunately, those who the Qur'an described in chapter 6, verse 113, accepted these innovation into Islam without evidence in the Qur'an to back them. In the end, the clerics have been shoving this innovation down muslims' throat and refuse to regard those muslims who do not keep beards, taking them as persons with weak faith. What an irony.

And hair, why so much obsession by traditional muslims about it? Why do they frown upon muslim men without beards and women that expose just a strand of hair? What has hair got to do with one 's righteosness?

Funny enough the Christians who study the old testament routinely do not even bother about this practice anymore. But traditional muslims like ahlul sunna are busy bothering themselves about it while they are several commandments in the Qur'an they are yet to keep.

I beg you in the name of Allah, seek some education before you get lost. Trust me, you have no idea what you are talking about.

The least you can do is understand the ayah you quote:

In the same way We assigned to each prophet an enemy, evil humans and evil jinn. They suggest alluring words to one another in order to deceive– if it had been your Lord’s will, [Prophet], they would not have done this: leave them to their inventions– (surah 6:112)

Start from 108, What does this have to do with the discussion. Do you even know that this discussion was to the Quraish and related to their idolatory.

Why are you bringing up bible verses??

The hadith is reported numerous times and we see that the closest companions of the messenger all kept beards.

-Do you really think that you know better (more about the religion) than the Sahaba (the companions of the prophet saws), and even better than the prophet sallallhu alayhi wa sellem himself

-Do you not realize that you have introduced a new thing in the religion that has never ever been introduced until these recent times? Let me ask you an honest question, if you were to die today, would you feel safe and secure in your beliefs, and do you think that your version of Islam would be the one that is accepted in paradise, even though the muslims since the beginning and throughout history (& recent times) held a different belief? Do you think that by introducing a new thing (bid'ah), and leading people to your own interpretation and desire will save you?

-On what authority do you choose yourselves over the prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sellem and his companions to judge and interpret the Qur'an for mankind?

Or do you deny the ayat from the Quran

1. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allah...” [4:80] Allah described obedience to the Prophet (peace be upon him) as being a part of obedience to Him. Then He made a connection between obedience to Him and obedience to the Prophet (peace be upon him): “O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger...” [4:59]

2. Allah warns us not to go against the Prophet (peace be upon him), and states that whoever disobeys him will be doomed to eternal Hell. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “...And let those who oppose the Messenger’s commandment beware, lest some fitnah (trial, affliction, etc.) befall them or a painful torment be inflicted on them.” [24:63]

3. Allah has made obedience to His Prophet a religious duty; resisting or opposing it is a sign of hypocrisy: ”But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you [Muhammad] judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.” [4:65]

4. Allah commands His slaves to respond to Him and His Messenger: “O you who believe! Answer Allah (by obeying Him) and (His) Messenger when he calls you to that which will give you life...” [8:24]

Take heed and stop following your desires.

2 Likes

Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by tbaba1234: 11:26am On Nov 14, 2013
hot n cold: Well...what do you know?

@Username,thanks for your contribution.Although at this junction am a bit confuse here,going by the quotation and verses you mentioned in your post,its also different from what Tbaba1234 quoited and educated me on.

I tend to agree with your post and the questions you raised

I'm also curious to see if Tbaba will agree or disagree with you.

Peace

Usermane is not a traditional muslim so his views are strange to the average muslim. Depending on your school of thought, It could be obligatory or preferable (optional) to keep a beard.

1 Like

Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by DevotedOne(m): 4:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim As salaamu alaykum. The odd thing about this is the fact that Muslim's wear the beard in every kind of length. And I've read just recently, that The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) had a short beard.

Wassalaam. DevotedOne
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by DevotedOne(m): 3:28pm On Nov 16, 2013
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim As salaamu alaykum.

Beginning on page #1, of this title Sunan Al-Nabi, there is a description of The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), that also speaks of His (PBUH) beard.

http://goaloflife.files./2011/08/301_sunanun-nabi-gift.pdf

Wassalaam. DevotedOne
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 16, 2013
@ tbaba1234 i wish i knew you personally. You sound like someone i could learn from. But to my own view i stand by the maliki school of thought in regards to beard keeping. Why should we shave our beards when the best example of mankind kept his?
Re: Why Some Alfas/imams Like To Keep Their Beards Long? by harbiola1(m): 7:55am On Nov 17, 2013
@ Hot n cold, i hope u nw knw why u should beware of those u'll be imitating, take as role model and those that u'll be asking a question. don't be confused, let ur sense be ur guard to know the right answers to ur questions.
Keeping beard and trimming mustache is highly recommended for the true followers of Prophet Muhammed (saw), and to imitate not only our Prophet (saw) but other bygone Prophets (pbut). People of other religion have destroyed the prophets despite their warnings not to do so. They're those who have strayed away from the truth path. One thing is to have short beard and another is to have long beard and be trimming it while some people don't have at all.

1. A person that have naturally short beard and don't trim it will have the same reward as a person who have naturally long beard and don't trim it.

2. A person who have naturally long beard but trimming it will look like a muslim with no reward from Allah for having beard.

3. A person who don't have beard at all but would like to have it to look like Prophet Muhammed (saw) would have the same reward as a person who have either long or short beard and don't trim it.

Ur intentions matter in every aspect of life, if u're unable to keep beard now, always admire those that are keeping it for blessings of Allah is upon them and Inshallah it would be easy for u to do. Don't look down on those that are not keeping it for anything and don't discourage those that are keeping it for the sake of Allah and His messenger (saw).

Allah knows best.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sautan Of Sokoto Right For Fixing Hid-le Kabir On Sunday / Mr. Bean Has Embraced Islam / Dawah Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.