Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) (4258 Views)

Are You A Happily Married Man? Family Section Needs You / Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date / Family Section Debate::: Please Vote for a topic of your choice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by xynerise: 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

Thanks for your response. How does having sex with the partner before marriage guarantee knowledge of all of their past?
Thanks for your question. Funny question though grin

You don't have sex with your partner just to have knowledge of his/her past. You do it for the present and the future of your relationship
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by TV01(m): 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2013
Efemena_xy: Hello, I'm Contestant No. 4 and my questions are directed to Contestant No. 1:

Evening Efemena,

I'm Contestant No.1. I shall respond to your rebuttal straight away, then post my own shortly after. I'm juggling a few unexpected things so kindly bear with me.

Thanks
TV
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2013
xynerise:
Thanks for your question. Funny question though grin

You don't have sex with your partner just to have knowledge of his/her past. You do it for the present and the future of your relationship

Good point. But I was asking more in reference to this paragraph of yours.

Funny as it may sound, some people have used ''No sex until marriage'' to cover some past secrets in the life. A lot of women who are infertile due to numerous abortions they did before they met the unlucky guy, will use this avenue to escape being thrown out before marriage. In order not to be biased, the men are not left out on this trick. Some men are impotent due to their past sex life and because they dont want to lose their current partner, they use ''No sex until marriage'' to make her believe that he is a very responsible man. These men and women will disguise as born again christians just to deceive their partners to trusting them.

So, once more, my question is, how will sex before marriage help prevent the bolded? Can you tie the points together a bit better? Thanks.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by ayobase(m): 10:09pm On Nov 17, 2013
This is contestant 7.
contestant 3, please can you educate me more please?

1. “SEX is a private, profound, physical and intimate act, that should be practised between two CONSENTING ADULTS. CONSENTING because anything outside of that is considered molestation, and ADULTS because of the mental and physical risk ( STDs, pregnancy, or heart breaks) associated with sex. “

My question: Consenting adults? Are teenagers also considered as adults in this regards. And based on the knowledge of a teenager, what does he/she know, let alone of consenting to a theory that involves mental and physical risk as you mentioned. And do you think an adult that is not married but prefers premarital should be considered as an adult. Age is just a number.

2. “In the African society, sex is highly frowned upon and considered "taboo", if practised before marriage. Not only is the notion of sex influenced by our traditional and cultural beliefs, it is also highly influenced by religious beliefs as well - where sex is considered to be a dirty and unclean act, a sin, and a thing to be shameful about. Notwithstanding these beliefs, statistics have shown that 85% of individuals between the ages of 15 - 45 practise sex before marriage. Why ignore the obvious? This brings me to defend my notion on why premarital sex, with a person with whom you are considering marriage or engaged to, is very important, and beneficial for both parties in the long run.”

My question: When 99% does wrong and 1% does right. Does that make the 1% wrong and 99% right? If that is the case, then I think corruption should be legal in Nigeria.

3. “Marriage is a life long commitment; and one of its fundamentals is absolute fidelity. This is because sex, plays an important role in determining marital longevity. How can one buy a car without test driving first?”

My question: if that is the case, then I want to believe that this refuted all your reasons for having premarital sex. Why do we still have cases of heartbreaks and divorces when sex is supposed to give marital longevity when they must have considered themselves intimate compatible before wedding? Now you are comparing a car to a woman. Like seriously?
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by coogar: 10:13pm On Nov 17, 2013
this is an epic battle.....i'm chuffed with the fireworks & rebuttals. cool
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by SisiKill1: 10:18pm On Nov 17, 2013
Obinoscopy: My point here is the influence of societal pressure on the groom's decision. Granted, some couples do not care of what the society wants and go ahead to plan a low budget wedding. But we know that most couples would want to play to the gallery of the society. It is this set of couples I am worried about.

Thanks for the swift response.

From the above, it is safe say it is the Couples themselves who have chosen to be a hindrance to their journey into marital bliss (i.e the need to play to the gallery). I think this hold more water than putting the blame on society because as we both know given a choice between attending a small wedding and The Practice of Premarital Sex, society would rather attend a small wedding.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Nobody: 10:27pm On Nov 17, 2013
Oh oh! Looks like spambot got Ifyalways.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Obinoscopy(m): 10:28pm On Nov 17, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Thanks for the swift response.

From the above, it is safe say it is the Couples themselves who have chosen to be a hindrance to their journey into marital bliss (i.e the need to play to the gallery). I think this hold more water than putting the blame on society because as we both know given a choice between attending a small wedding and The Practice of Premarital Sex, society would rather attend a small wedding.
I agree with you. However I must say that the wedding being "small" means a large chunk of the society will be precluded, eventually leading to grumblings and complaints. Some couples fear such after tales.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by xynerise: 10:28pm On Nov 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

Good point. But I was asking more in reference to this paragraph of yours.

So, once more, my question is, how will sex before marriage help prevent the bolded? Can you tie the points together a bit better? Thanks.
First bolded: A lot of couples prefer to have kids before marriage.

Second Bolded
Yes, to know who really you are dealing with, and be sure if the relationship is based on pretense
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by coogar: 10:32pm On Nov 17, 2013
Contestant 7:
8. Lastly, my body being the temple of God, the Holy book tells me to flee from fornication and adultery. Premarital sex is a sin.

body being the temple of God has little to do with fornication & adultery. the holy book also says one can commit these sins with one's heart - one can commit fornication/adultery without necessarily having sëx.

STIs/unwanted pregnancy can also be prevented if the couple involved practise protected sex. your argument had enough substance without these 2 highlighted points that seem to have removed the heft in your submission.

can you shed more light on these points in case i am missing the big picture?
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 17, 2013
xynerise:
The answer to you first question: A lot of couples prefer to have kids before marriage.

Thank you for the bolded. The connection is clearer now.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 17, 2013
Tgirl, can the judges ask questions of any contestant now, or just 5 and 6?
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by xynerise: 10:35pm On Nov 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

Thank you for the bolded. The connection is clearer now.

cool
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Tgirl4real(f): 10:42pm On Nov 17, 2013
ileobatojo: Tgirl, can the judges ask questions of any contestant now, or just 5 and 6?

Ideally, it's NO until after the rebuttals of that group so that you don't repeat the questions the debater planned on asking.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by LerrieJohn(f): 10:42pm On Nov 17, 2013
This is contestant 3 and my questions for contestant 7.

My dear opponent contestant number 7, you have highlighted, from your perspective, why premarital sex is a "taboo" but you have not given enough evidence to back any of your excerptions as premarital sex has little or nothing to do with the consequences listed. As those said situations will arise with or without premarital sex occurring.

Tgirl4real: Contestant 7

[b]If sex creates strong bond between partners, then why do we still have heartbreaks and divorces. Even some married ones want out!

I can assure you that there are cases of heartbreaks and divorces among individuals who marry as virgins, as well as cases of couples who engaged in premarital sex and have been happily married for over 35 years. And so my first question to you.

A couple got married in Nasarawa state 15 months ago and now the wife is filling her husband for divorce because of excessive sexual demands. Has not having sex before marriage saved this particular couple from heartbreaks and a most likely divorce?

1. Trust and Jealousy: Having multiple sexual partners before finally marrying could escalate trivial matters. A partner might think he/she is not better than the others in the past.

A married couple may choose to have an open relationship with other sexual partners (which does happen). A person may have pre-marital sex with the person they choose to marry, voiding this argument entirely. I see no basis for the claim "having multiple partners before marriage escalate trivial matters ."
Are you trying to say that it is ok to have multiple sexual partners after marriage, if that is what a married couple desire? Would the question of who is better that who not still arise?

4 Testimony and Psychology: A source of encouragement. How do you encourage others and your children when you have no good testimony? It reminds of the movie, “ghosts of my ex-girlfriends”

Imagine a case of two adult virgin ( this is for my opponent's benefit) who have decided to tie the knot. They announce their decision to their family members and friends, and fix a date for the wedding. These two now decide to engage in premarital sex months prior to the wedding date. They are both healthy, virgins, and have not had any past to create trivial matters. They have sex, bonded and discovered they were sexually compatible as well, and so went ahead to be married. They have children, and are happily married and would be grand parents soon.
Isn't that a wonderful story to tell your children about how mom and dad met? Isn't that enough encouragement on the importance of premarital sex?

I for one, will be more than happy to share that story with anyone while encouraging them to have premarital sex.
Like I stated initially, your reasons for waiting till after marriage are not grounded enough and lack evidence to prove your point.

Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Tgirl4real(f): 10:48pm On Nov 17, 2013
[size=14pt]@ all, we need to make it snappy. Time is not on our hands.[/size]
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Tgirl4real(f): 10:49pm On Nov 17, 2013
Lerrie John:

This is contestant 3 and my questions for contestant 7.

My dear opponent contestant number 7, you have highlighted, from your perspective, why premarital sex is a "taboo" but you have not given enough evidence to back any of your excerptions as premarital sex has little or nothing to do with the consequences listed. As those said situations will arise with or without premarital sex occurring.

You are only required to quote the portion your question is based on.

Also, you need to respond to the questions already posted to you by your opponent.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by debosky(m): 10:50pm On Nov 17, 2013
Contestant 7 you said the following:

If sex creates strong bond between partners, then why do we still have heartbreaks and divorces. Even some married ones want out!

Do you know that one's sense of judgment about a partner is altered once sex is involved?

These rhetorical questions do not address the rightness or otherwise of premarital sex, or is there a point here that I'm missing?

Sex before marriage (pre-marital sex) simply means being intimate with a partner one is yet to be legally united with. This makes it illegal. I'm certain not any of us will be proud to see or hear our children involved in premarital sex.

In what jurisdiction is it illegal? Is it illegal in Nigeria? Please explain further if possible.

Yes, you can tell me that sex burns calories, enhance the immune system, prevents cancer and the likes. But compared to the era of our ancestors who married as virgins, are people of this generation not still dying prematurely of these same diseases?

Are you against sex in total, or claiming our ancestors didn't have sex, or that those alleged beneficial effects are only present in pre-marital sex? Please clarify.

The cons of sex before marriage outweigh the pros. It evolves more around the female hood. Here are some;

Apart from females, any male perspective to consider here (in addition to the ex-girlfriends)?
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by ayobase(m): 10:53pm On Nov 17, 2013
coogar:

body being the temple of God has little to do with fornication & adultery. the holy book also says one can commit these sins with one's heart - one can commit fornication/adultery without necessarily having sëx.

STIs/unwanted pregnancy can also be prevented if the couple involved practise protected sex. your argument had enough substance without these 2 highlighted points that seem to have removed the heft in your submission.

can you shed more light on these points in case i am missing the big picture?

smiley
as a man thinketh so he is. if you commit these sins with your heart, then it means you have literally defiled your body (the temple of God) You need to ask God for forgiveness. it is just a warning to eschew believers from negotiating it. Sex.ual pleasure is very strong. it is easy to accomplish once conceived. So, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

We all do know that protected sex is not totally safe. Abstinence is the best! Condom is said to be 99% safe. What happens to the very dangerous 1%
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by TV01(m): 10:57pm On Nov 17, 2013
Efemena_xy: Hello, I'm Contestant No. 4 and my questions are directed to Contestant No. 1:

We know that religious stricture and cultural tradition have mostly been in close agreement on this. Especially with reference to the faiths and traditional morés that prevail in the African context. Sex before marriage vows is “haram”, intercourse before marital rites is taboo.
A case based on a sound religious exegesis and a deep knowledge of our cultural heritage is practically open and shut against sex before marriage. And whilst I acknowledge that it informs my personal position and submit it as supporting evidence, I will not make it the mainstay of my argument. Not least because it is self-evident and would not really lend new insight or progress the wider discussion on this issue.
As societies move away from religious instruction and long held cultural norms, towards an era of autonomous self expression, with personal desires and preference informing choices, are there any other reasons for abstaining from sex before marriage if one simply desires it?
I believe there are sensible and practical reasons for doing so.

Question 1: Based on the excerpt of your first paragraph for which its basis leans heavily on cultural and religious norms of the past, or better still – of a bygone era - how do you reconcile your opinion of sex before marriage for those who do not share your religious beliefs in today’s modern society but are still active, tax-paying, members of society? I’m particularly interested in those who do not yet have marriage as a viable option open to them – such as the GLBTs (Gays, Lesbians, Bi-sexuals and Transexuals). Are they exempted from pre-martial sex because they can’t get married?

Firstly, to refer to religious and cultural norms as of a "bygone era" as a point of rebuttal is patently wrong. Practising adherents of the Abrahamic faiths alone number in their billions. Religious faith is very much with us and has every right to inform public opinion

Secondly, neither religious conviction nor traditional cultural norms were the mainstay of my submission, as I clearly stated.

Thirdly, marriage as defined has always been thus and is open to everyone. And it was never about the sort of intimacy you choose to have but the natural outcome of natural intimacy, children. Marriage arose anthropologically as sociey' answer to raising future generations. A biological reality;men + women = children, fulfilling a societal need - a well raised future generation - at least cost and to optimal effect, raised by their biological mother and father.

Fourthly. Any two opposite sex couples - bar a few disqualifiers, age consanguinity etc - are able to marry. people who practise sodomy are not barred. Two people of the same s3x cannot have a conjugal relationship. It does not and can never result in children, whilst in principle male/female s3x can. Indeed true s3x involves the coming together of two opposite s3x Instruments. What homosexuals do is not s3x. It's a perversion of the real thing. So no matter how much tax they pay they can never truly have s3x, be conjugal or be truly married, whatever the legal position. So if they choose to marry it applies to them, if they choose to be sodomites it's a moot point.

Efemena_xy:
The essence of courtship is too really appreciate the person one is potentially going to spend the rest of one’ life with. Sex has a binding effect and engaging in it prior to marriage is pre-emptive in that regard. Potentially beclouding one’ judgement to character flaws that should spell the end or at least mean serious consideration is given to continuing the relationship.

Question 2: If you claim that the essence of courtship is to really appreciate your spouse / person you intend to tie the knot with, how can you really know for sure whether you are sexually compatible or not? Granted, sex is not the be-all-and-end-all of a relationship, but it is an important aspect of marriage, that shouldn’t be left to chance – and if your partner has got sexual issues that aren’t discovered until after the wedding night, such as pre-mature ejaculation, inability to climax, what then? Would you spend the rest of your married life frustrated, unfulfilled with no other choice but to fake org@sms?

Whatever you believe; creation, evolution or nothing at all, men and women are compatible sexually. It's a myth to to think sexual compatibility needs to be pre-determined. If people take one thing from my participation in this exercise, let it be this. "You have great sex with a great person" guaranteed. If a person is physically unable to consumate marriage or disqualified through disability they should not be presenting themselves for marriage. Anything else is a question of preference and will be resolved in two great people seeking and working to mutually satisfy each other. DOn't be with someone you don't care for deeply, commit to love and are sure has been wholly open and truthful with you.

Efemena_xy:
Abstaining would serve to keep the conjugal aspect of marriage pure and obviate many issues that arise from past liaisons, including those that can manifest much later. Think heightened risk of serious illnesses like infertility and cancer as a result of contraception to avoid unplanned pregnancies, having abortions or using abortifacients. Indeed, is it not with us already? Eighteen with a denied pregnancy anyone?

Question 3: Do you not think that having a conservative attitude to sex where it’s seen as some dark, nasty act not to be mentioned by ‘chaste’ people, is the root of many of societies sexual ills? You’ve given the example of an eighteen year old with a denied pregnancy. Yet, this same eighteen year old confessed that she had to sneak out of her parents’ home for over a year just to see her boyfriend. She had relationship issues which required the input of a loving, understanding and experienced adult (her mother, for starters), but she obviously didn’t feel comfortable enough to discuss her concerns with her mother.

This is all too typical of issues faced by teenagers and when the fail to get that parental support and guidance, they turn to strangers on the net and peers who know no better and the end result – yes, an unwanted pregnancy. When purity peddlers create a false black and white world of ‘pure virgins’ who wait till until marriage and whorish girls who go home every night of the week with a different man, they fail to address the reality of life, a fact that people WILL still get involved in relationships, despite the ‘taboo’ status linked to them. How we deal with these relationships shape how we as individuals grow and evolve about ourselves. You get to figure out the difference between real love and puppy love / infatuation, which this young teen was unable to discern. Her plight is resounding proof that sexual repression has never worked. EVER.

I never called it dirty, or said it should not be thoroughly discussed. Societies "sexual ills" stem from wholesale moral loosening wanton permissiveness and the commercialisation - hence degradation - of s3x.

She did not have to sneak out or engage in illicit s3x. She chose to do so. A full understanding of the possible consequences and a clear notion of why she should abstain till the right time would have served her well. Abstinence did not cause her situation. It would have prevented it.

Preaching sex within the security of marriage does not mean issues cannot be addressed and understanding imparted. One of the reasons why it's a good thing, is it stops the immature getting in over their heads which is the case in point.

Best
TV
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by debosky(m): 10:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
A few questions Contestant 1

The essence of courtship is too really appreciate the person one is potentially going to spend the rest of one’ life with. Sex has a binding effect and engaging in it prior to marriage is pre-emptive in that regard. Potentially beclouding one’ judgement to character flaws that should spell the end or at least mean serious consideration is given to continuing the relationship.

Why do you consider sex to be excluded from the process of appreciation? Furthermore, can it not be argued that sustained contact with an individual will also result in a binding effect?

A norm of sex before marriage would be pay-dirt for players. The mere promise could cause some to drop their guard. Apart from the humiliation of being used, there are other concerns – with women being particularly vulnerable – including disease and unplanned pregnancies.

Would it? Or would it effectively render players irrelevant? If there is nothing to 'play' for - i.e. it is available without restriction, then why would players play as it were?

Furthermore, you allude that being 'used' can occur in courtship if there is sex - couldn't one be equally used for companionship, sounding board, etc. during courtship? If so, why not simply identify a mate with no contact and marry immediately to avoid anyone feeling used?

Abstaining would serve to keep the conjugal aspect of marriage pure and obviate many issues that arise from past liaisons, including those that can manifest much later.

As question above - why not keep all the other aspects of marriage pure? Is only sex worthy of keeping pure? Do non-sexual past liaisons not also result in delayed-manifestation issues?
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by LerrieJohn(f): 10:59pm On Nov 17, 2013
This is contestant 3 answers to contestant 7.

contestant 3, please can you educate me more please?

1. “SEX is a private, profound, physical and intimate act, that should be practised between two CONSENTING ADULTS. CONSENTING because anything outside of that is considered molestation, and ADULTS because of the mental and physical risk ( STDs, pregnancy, or heart breaks) associated with sex. “

My question: Consenting adults? Are teenagers also considered as adults in this regards. And based on the knowledge of a teenager, what does he/she know, let alone of consenting to a theory that involves mental and physical risk as you mentioned. And do you think an adult that is not married but prefers premarital should be considered as an adult. Age is just a number.

Dear contestant 7. Answering your question, a teenager is not an adult by law until he reaches the age of 21. Therefore, should not participate in any kind of sex, both marital or premarital until of age. Anything outside of that is molestation. By law age is not only a number,age holds you responsible for your actions. That is why under age children have parents and guardians responsible for them.

2. “In the African society, sex is highly frowned upon and considered "taboo", if practised before marriage. Not only is the notion of sex influenced by our traditional and cultural beliefs, it is also highly influenced by religious beliefs as well - where sex is considered to be a dirty and unclean act, a sin, and a thing to be shameful about. Notwithstanding these beliefs, statistics have shown that 85% of individuals between the ages of 15 - 45 practise sex before marriage. Why ignore the obvious? This brings me to defend my notion on why premarital sex, with a person with whom you are considering marriage or engaged to, is very important, and beneficial for both parties in the long run.”

My question: When 99% does wrong and 1% does right. Does that make the 1% wrong and 99% right? If that is the case, then I think corruption should be legal in Nigeria.

What is wrong and what is right? Every country has rules and laws as guidelines to establish these. When there is corruption there are laws that prohibit and punish such acts. There is no civil law that condemns two over age, consenting adults for having premarital sex.
Like I said, the notion of sex is highly influenced by our traditional and cultural beliefs, it is also highly influenced by religious beliefs and their repercussions have no civil value.

3. “Marriage is a life long commitment; and one of its fundamentals is absolute fidelity. This is because sex, plays an important role in determining marital longevity. How can one buy a car without test driving first?”

My question: if that is the case, then I want to believe that this refuted all your reasons for having premarital sex. Why do we still have cases of heartbreaks and divorces when sex is supposed to give marital longevity when they must have considered themselves intimate compatible before wedding? Now you are comparing a car to a woman. Like seriously?

Strangely, I asked you that question as well. Waiting for marriage before sex does not guarantee marital stabile, longevity, heartbreaks nor frustrations. Neither does waiting prevent you from diseases or unwanted pregnancy. Whereas premarital sex with a sole individual might prevent you from diseases if he is faithful as well.

I hope I have been able to satisfy all your curiosity. Thank you.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by LerrieJohn(f): 11:05pm On Nov 17, 2013
Tgirl4real:

You are only required to quote the portion your question is based on.

Also, you need to respond to the questions already posted to you by your opponent.

Sorry about the mix up. Done. Answered his / her questions as well.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Tgirl4real(f): 11:12pm On Nov 17, 2013
We are waiting for Efemena and TV01

And judges can ask questions if they still have more.

This stage will be closing in the next 20mins.

Thanks.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Tgirl4real(f): 11:14pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ayobase and TV01

You have pending questions.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by coogar: 11:16pm On Nov 17, 2013
ayobase:

smiley
as a man thinketh so he is. if you commit these sins with your heart, then it means you have literally defiled your body (the temple of God) You need to ask God for forgiveness. it is just a warning to eschew believers from negotiating it. Sex.ual pleasure is very strong. it is easy to accomplish once conceived. So, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

We all do know that protected sex is not totally safe. Abstinence is the best! Condom is said to be 99% safe. What happens to the very dangerous 1%

touché!
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by ayobase(m): 11:18pm On Nov 17, 2013
debosky: Contestant 7 you said the following:

[quote author=debosky]These rhetorical questions do not address the rightness or otherwise of premarital sex, or is there a point here that I'm missing?

I am simply saying that premarital sex shouldn’t be encouraged since it won’t certainly guarantee marital longevity. Some that were involved have broken up. it is not a visa for long term marriage.

debosky: In what jurisdiction is it illegal? Is it illegal in Nigeria? Please explain further if possible.

Opposite of legal is illegal. What is not legal is illegal. Premarital sex is against the institution of marriage, and which makes it maritally or morally illegal.

debosky: Are you against sex in total, or claiming our ancestors didn't have sex, or that those alleged beneficial effects are only present in pre-marital sex? Please clarify.

I am not against sex in total, but disputing the alluring fact that sex is a miracle worker even when virtually none of our ancestors testified to this as a result of the years spent before they died. Most of them didn’t engage in premarital sex that would have cured them of some supposed illness. But the reverse is the case today.

debosky: Apart from females, any male perspective to consider here (in addition to the ex-girlfriends)?

I chose the females because they are always in charge. The can decide to lock or open as they wish. Imagine all the females in Lagos locking up. The males propose, but the females could choose to dispose. The females have the final say!
the males should only endeavor not to propose to avoid disappointment.
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Tgirl4real(f): 11:24pm On Nov 17, 2013
Contestants for this Round.

Tgirl4real: Update

Contestant 1 - Wrong: TV01

Contestant 2 - Wrong : Teeo

Contestant 3 - Right : Lerrie John

Contestant 4 - Right : Efemena XY

Contestant 5 - Right : Obinoscopy

Contestant 6 - Right : Xynerise

Contestant 7 - Wrong : Ayobase

Contestant 8 - Wrong : Quivah 1X

Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by TV01(m): 11:29pm On Nov 17, 2013
Tgirl4real: Contestant 4

The topic [i]Sex before Marriage: Right or wrong [/i]is one which I would be arguing for and therefore deem as Right.

Irrespective of who or what we are, where we come from, what we believe in or not, sex should be a very private and special moment between us and our chosen partner. It is an act that should be practised only between two [b]consenting adults
. I am placing special emphasis on these two words because anything other than consenting sex constitutes rape or child sex abuse. The word ‘adults’ is also used here, because of the emotional and physical risks associated with sex.

Presumably 18 is adult, and two 18 year olds can consent? So a consenting 18 year old with a denied pregnancy is not raped or abused according to your submission. So there is no problem then is there? Or perhaps it's down to those who preach abstinence? Please give context to this live example on the basis of your submission.

Tgirl4real:
Before addressing the question on whether it is right or not for two consenting adults intending to tie the knot to engage in sex before marriage, let us first acknowledge the fact that such ‘intending’ couples have already made an unofficial agreement to commit to each other for life. It becomes official when the necessary documents have been signed on paper and a marriage certificate issued. Marriage is a life-long commitment and not another form of dating. Thus the key word here is commitment. Does it not therefore stand to reason that before undertaking such a lifelong journey with your partner, one should ensure that some groundwork be carried out to ensure compatibility? Especially as this will mean spending the next fifty, sixty, seventy or even eighty years of your life dedicated solely to that person? Based on that premises alone, I earnestly advocate for sex before marriage between intending couples, for the following reasons listed below:

If sex prior to marriage is to test compatibility, but you have already made "the commitment", what happens if there is no compatibility? This is plainly contradictory? So no, it does not stand to reason, as you are clearly saying non-compatibility voids the commitment. Please defend this point.

Tgirl4real:
Sexual Compatibility

No Nasty Surprises

Intimacy and Bonding

Chemistry

Sexual Identity

Health Benefits:

• Improved sense of smell [3]
• Stress and blood pressure reduction [4] [5]
• Increased immunity [6]
• Decreased risk of prostate cancer [7] [8] [9]
• Orgasms leading to increased levels of the ‘love hormone’ or Oxytocin, which helps couples bond and trust [10] [11] [12]
• Sexual intercourse and associated activities are aspects of many mood repair strategies, which means they can be used to help dissipate feelings of sadness and depression [13]
• Helps you look 4 – 7 years younger and these benefits are directly related to the benefits of sex – stress reduction, greater contentment and improved sleep – all prompted by sex. [14] [15]

Knowing these, then delay reaping these benefits till after marriage? Why wait?

1. Sexual compatibility - I have responded to this in my question above.

2. No Nasty Surprises - honesty will circumvent this. Pre-marital sex will not reveal a bigamist, undisclosed health problems, children out of wedlock etc.

3. Intimacy and Bonding, Chemistry, Sexual Identity, Health Benefits - All these are benefits of "sex" regardless of the context. This is an argument for sex - regardless.

Tgirl4real:
Conclusion: Sexual morality is not about how long you wait. It is about how you treat people and the people you are with. Instead of deceiving ourselves into thinking that waiting until marriage makes sex ‘good’, we should focus on how to be, and demonstrate ethical and responsible sexual practices, which include taking the necessary precautions to protect the physical and mental well being of ourselves and our partner. Having sex that is consensual, and focused on mutual pleasure, are part of being an ethical and responsible human being.

Thank You.

Sexual morality is understanding what sex is and enjoying it in it's proper context,Marriage. This means it is safe secure, pleasurable and with wonderful outcomes. No one says sex can't be "good" out of marriage, but understood for it's ultimate purpose it is best within it. Responsible, ethical sex, is sex within marriage. Their are heightened dangers and risks with every other sort.

So just the two questions then. I see nothing else pertinent.

Best
TV
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by SisiKill1: 11:32pm On Nov 17, 2013
ayobase: I am simply saying that premarital sex shouldn’t be encouraged since it won’t certainly guarantee marital longevity. Some that were involved have broken up. it is not a visa for long term marriage.

Do you have empirical evidence that waiting guarantees marital longevity?
Re: Family Section Debate - Stage 2 (quater Final) by Tgirl4real(f): 11:33pm On Nov 17, 2013
We are waiting for you Efe, then we close.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Printer And Elepaq Generator For Sale / ' I Hate My Mother With My Life! I Wish Her Nothing But Absolute Death! ' / The Single Mother Phenomenon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.