Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA (2891 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 11:45am On Nov 18, 2013
I welcome you all to the first stage -the elimination round -of the nairaland interschool debate.

[size=18pt] FUTA (supporting ) vs UNIJOS (opposing ) [/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1413614_futa_jpgbde79a1de6465d47a2a2a2325ad32887

[size=18pt]Topic: Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities is necessary for a better educational standard.
[/size]

CHIEF COORDINATOR
Olawalebabs
Fynestboi
Richiez

COORDINATORS
(mr and miss)
BOAY
ALICIA KEYS
HONEYDEAR
ABU MIKEY
KESSY
MISCALLENOUS
ONWONDI
AGROVICK
WILL007

Cordinators Incharge:
miscellaneous and will007

Judges:
Aluta Continua
Ishilove

Date:
Fri.29th of November.

Time:
1pm-4pm No African time angry angry grin grin

Venue: Nairaland Education Section

For more fixtures, click here

Thread locked to be declared open 1:00pm on debate time.
For extensive reading on history, planning, etc, and further discussion, pls click here:

Nairaland interschool debate planing thread
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 11:51am On Nov 18, 2013
PROCEDURES
12:55 – Debaters and judges take seats, register presence, while schools post their school Anthem

1:00 – Coordinators miscellaneous & will007 declare the debate open

1:00pm – 1:20 - Debaters post their arguments. Within 15 minutes. Better if less than 750 words to make it easier for judges to read all, but no harm making it longer, but it must not exceed 850.

1:20 – 2:20pm - A debater takes on his opponent, attempts to puncture his opponent’s points. This a debater does by quoting, highlighting the area to puncture and countering it i.e regular way to reply on Nairaland. While this is going on the judges can take their time to go through the write ups by the debaters. And also Debaters respond to punctured areas in his earlier arguments. He may buttress further. At this time frame.

2:20 – 2:40pm – Judges post questions to debaters either based on what the debater has posted or just reasonable question within the theme. Judges should be specific as to who they are posting the questions to. E.g “Mr ...., could you expatiate what you meant by so so so? or ...., pls give examples of your claim that xxxx”. This is not compulsory. A judge that doesn’t have question to post to the debaters need not do so.

2:40 – 3:00pm – Debaters respond to questions raised by judges

3:00 – 03:20pm – 2 Questions will be entertained from the audience i.e viewers. This will be based on ‘fastest hand’. The coordinators will announce ‘audience, you may now ask your questions’. After the 2 questions have been posted, any other viewer-post will be hidden.
NOTE: -The judges and audience can throw their questions without quotations but the contestants should answer
with quotations and separated for each questions.

3:20 – 3:30 – Debaters respond to audience questions and concludes their arguments. Debaters who were not asked any questions can still conclude his/her arguments.

3:30 – 3:40 – Judges compile the scores and mail to coordinators: humblejnr@gmail.com

3:40 – 4: 00pm Coordinators announce results. Thread thrown open for regular Nairaland discussion.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 11:55am On Nov 18, 2013
JUDGING CRITERIA (5 marks each)
1. Presentation (opening, flow, closing,
response to judges questions,
audience questions and contestants
rebuttals)

2. Logic of arguments

3. Strenght of facts, examples, cases.

4. Persuasiveness

5. Demonstration of knowledge and
understanding of the subject
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 11:59am On Nov 18, 2013
RULES

1.) Two contestants representing their school in this Interschool Debate Elimination stage will have to confirm their availability for the debate a day before the debate proper. Failure to do so will result in the defaulter been disqualify and the opposing or supporting side that duely declare availabily will automatically be declare as the winner.

2.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is GREEN for the supporting side and BLUE for the opposing side. Please note that you are to use the designated colour all through the debate period.

3.) The essay should be min. 750 max. 1000 words .

4.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

5.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

6.) All essays, responses and conclusion must be submitted within the stipulated time frame stated in the time schedule as posted by the coordinator
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Fynestboi: 1:08pm On Nov 18, 2013
Please while the debate is going, only the debaters, judges, coordinators, Supermods(if need be) can post. It is only at the audience question window that a viewer can post on this thread. Pls let's comply, default attracts 3 hours ban(duration of the debate).

You can however comment simultaneously at thePlanning thread

Thank you.

Debate starts by 1:00pm on FRIDAY.

Come and witness the mother of all e-debates on the biggest section of the biggest online forum in Africa.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by will007: 12:33pm On Nov 29, 2013
The representatives of FUTA are KING94 as the chief speaker and NIYI20 as the second speaker
But unfortunately,representatives of UNIJOS would not be participating because they were unable to present their representatives at the stated time.So therefore it would be an all FUTA showdown whereby they post their essays and answer questions thrown to them by the judges,audience and coordinators.

So,FUTARIANS I hope you are ready
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by will007: 12:38pm On Nov 29, 2013
FUTA

"> Greatest futarians.....great! Greatest
futarians.....great!
> Technology for self reliance
> The best university of technology in
Nigeria
The heart of ondo
The only school that offers mining
engineering in west africa and
meteorology science in Nigeria
We truly are the pride of Nigeria
Technology for self reliance this is our
motto
Experience the best university in
technology you talk of Futa !!!!!!"

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by will007: 1:04pm On Nov 29, 2013
Judges and debaters please signify your presence in the planning thread
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by will007: 1:06pm On Nov 29, 2013
The debate is hereby declared OPEN,debaters post your argument
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 1:07pm On Nov 29, 2013
Let the showdown begin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 1:08pm On Nov 29, 2013
My esteemed judges, illustrious coordinators, fellow contestants and our amiable audience, all other protocols duly observed. I am king94(first speaker) from the Federal University Of Technology, Akure and I am here to speak for the motion that states : Increase of tuition fees in nigerian universities is necessary for a better educational standard.
I would like to start my essay with a brief definition of the word "tuition fees". According to TheFreeDictionary.com, tuition fee is a fee paid for instruction(especially for higher education). Ladies and gentlemen, I firmly believe that the priceless amenities and tools that universities offer their students would be greatly improved if there is an increase in tuition fees.
Most public universities are not for profit. The federal and state governments share a large bulk of the costs of running universities which sometimes lead to the cutting of funds for essential studies and research projects which harm the quality of education being churned out by the schools. An increase in tuition fees would help to reduce the financial burden on the government. It will also help to restart/kickstart the educational projects that were suspended due to the paucity of funds. There will be a marked improvement in the educational standards if this is done.
The increase in tuition fees would also help in the refurbishment of lecture halls and laboratories to a standard level that will be acceptable the world over. The increase would also serve as an incentive to both the lecturers and students to give their best. The unserious students would take their studies more seriously if they pay a high price to stay in school. They would endeavour to give their best, so that they can pay back the huge investments spent on them when they get high paying jobs.
The professors and lecturers on the other hand,would also see the increase in tuition fees as a chance to double their efforts. They would have to step up their game in order to convince the students and their parents that the quality of education being turned out is commensurate to the huge amount being paid for the service.
Ladies and gentlemen, the best schools in the world are not known to come cheap. For example, the cost of studying at Harvard is 40,000 dollars on average which ranks it as one of the highest in the United States Of America.
The internal generated revenue of the school would be given a huge boost if tuition fees are increased which in turn would lead to an improvement in the educational standards of the universities. It will also help to ease the bureaucratic bottlenecks encountered when the institutions try to get money from the government.
My opponents would likely talk about the inability of poor students to pay the high tuition fees. I'd like to counter that by stating that there are numerous scholarships for bright indigent students. State governments offer scholarships to their citizens while multinational and private companies also offer scholarships. Public companies like NDDC also offer the same opportunities to students to ease the burden of the tuition fees. There are a wide range of scholarship opportunities for brilliant indigent students who can't afford the tuition fees. With this in mind, the harsh conditions of the increase would be tempered moderately.
Ladies and gentlemen, we all know that the only way for the quality of education in Nigeria to improve is by pumping money into the sector. The government are trying their best but it isn't enough. The universites have to look for ways to supplement that deficit and an increase in tuition fees is one of the means of maintaining and improving the standards of the schools.
Consequently, an increase in tuition fees would definitely still be worth attending university for as there is no other institution that can give such high quality facilities, teaching, help and advice in addition to a highly regarded qualification(a degree).
Ladies and gentlemen, I hope that I have been able to fully persuade you that an increase in tuition fees is necessary for a better educational standard in Nigeria. Thank you for reading.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 1:16pm On Nov 29, 2013
. My great judges , ever effective coordinators ,fellow contestant and my honorable audience my name is niyi20 (second speaker ) It is a great privilege for me to speak on this motion which states :- increase in tuition fees in Nigerian universities is necessary for a better educational standard. I will start of with a quote by Benjamin Franklin " an investment in education pays the best interest ". What is the point in establishing a university without funds to run it the answer is No point

The sole aim of going to school is to be a better and educated person in life .
Its no longer new that our universities produced half baked graduate in fact according to Prof Duro Ajeyalemi of unilag he said and I quote "it is quarter baked not half baked" . This is due to poor infrastructure, bad academic environment just to name a few and we have been blaming our leaders for the past 50years nothing has change we need to find a way out .

I am totally in support of increase of tuition fees in our universities cause education is not free "what ever you pay for you will get through value for it. With universities increasing tuition fees we will have quality education and adequate funds for upgrading our collapse infrastructures .

According to Prof Andrew Hamilton v.c of Oxford university he said a university fee should be more in line with the cost of what it offers .
For the past decades none of our universities have been rated among the best 10 in Africa not to talk of the world at large .
Please don't misunderstand me I am not saying our universities should start charging like the private ones but we should start paying for us to have the best facilities I rap my speech up with a quote by Baruch Spinoza he says " if you want the present to be different from the past , study the past ". We need to change our universities cause government are not helping .thank you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 29, 2013
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 29, 2013
Co-ordinators, can we ask questions now?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by will007: 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2013
Yes,you can start asking questions including the audience
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Fynestboi: 1:42pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua: Co-ordinators, can we ask questions now?
yap ma
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 29, 2013
@king94, you wrote:

The professors and lecturers on the other hand,would also see the increase in tuition fees as a chance to double their efforts. They would have to step up their game in order to convince the students and their parents that the quality of education being turned out is commensurate to the huge amount being paid for the service

How exactly is this feasible?
The increase doesn't necessarily increase in the pay of the lecturers, how exactly do you think an increase in fees would make them increase their efforts?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Fynestboi: 1:44pm On Nov 29, 2013
Debater endeavour to response to the question once they are visible..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 29, 2013
niyi20: .
For the past decades none of our universities have been rated among the best 10 in Africa not to talk of the world at large .

And how does increase in tuition fees change this fact?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
To both speakers;

You have both stated that an increase in tuition fees would guarantee a better academic environment.

However, looking at it critically and practically;
State universities in Nigeria tend to pay much more than Federal Universities...at least, I'm sure schools like LAUTECH and LASU pay more than schools like OAU and UI. However, there is nothing like better academic environment in these schools. Infact, while schools like OAU and UI tend to still provide 'places that look like hostels', most state universities cannot boast of such. Academic standard in the federal universities still beat the state universities' standard hands down. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS?

The academic standard of private institutions cannot be compared to that of federal universities inspite of the increased tuition fees (judging by the university ranking for 2013). How do you rationalize this with your submissions that increased tuition fees would guarantee better universities?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 1:52pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua: @king94, you wrote:

How exactly is this feasible?
The increase doesn't necessarily increase in the pay of the lecturers, how exactly do you think an increase in fees would make them increase their efforts?
True. However, the lecturers would endeavour to increase their efforts because the students now pay more for knowledge. The lecturers would understand that they need to double their efforts to give the students the quality that they required when they paid huge fees.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 29, 2013
king94: True. However, the lecturers would endeavour to increase their efforts because the students now pay more for knowledge. The lecturers would understand that they need to double their efforts to give the students the quality that they required when they paid huge fees.

The students are not paying to the lecturers, what exactly makes them increase their efforts

For example, there was a drastic increase in the Acceptance fee of OAU some semesters ago, I think about N15,000 increase (more than 100%) if I can still remember, but I didn't see any increase in effort of any of the lecturers. They still had the same 'Idon'twanttotalkaboutit' attitude they always have!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua: To both speakers;

You have both stated that an increase in tuition fees would guarantee a better academic environment.

State universities in Nigeria tend to pay much more than Federal Universities...at least, I'm sure schools like LAUTECH and LASU pay more than schools like OAU and UI. However, there is nothing like better academic environment in these schools. Infact, while schools like OAU and UI tend to still provide 'places that look like hostels', most state universities cannot boast of such. Academic standard in the federal universities still beat the state universities' standard hands down. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS?

The academic standard of private institutions cannot be compared to that of federal universities inspite of the increased tuition fees. How do you rationalize this with your submissions that increased tuition fees would guarantee better universities?
I live close to LASU. There has been an improvement in the infrastrustural and educational standard of the school, according to what my friends there say. We must not rush to compare them with Federal universities because they are still building up.They can't reach a specific standard in a day.Give them a few years more and the revolution shall be complete.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Fynestboi: 1:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
Debaters give response to other questions by the judges.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
king94: I live close to LASU. There has been an improvement in the infrastrustural and educational standard of the school, according to what my friends there say. We must not rush to compare them with Federal universities because they are still building up.They can't reach a specific standard in a day.Give them a few years more and the revolution shall be complete.

Fine, I agree with the academic environment part, how about the academic standard?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Davo93(m): 2:00pm On Nov 29, 2013
Good Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

The debaters have both written well. More ink to your pen.

My question goes to King94,
In your write-up, you obviously admitted the possibility of your opponent to say the hike in school fees may not be affordable by the less privileged. You argued there are scholarship for the brilliant poor ones. I want to ask, what is the fate of an average poor citizen who is not able to meet up with the set standard for the scholarship? We all understand what it means to get a scholarship in our country here except we are not just been real with ourselves. This is not also in exception to the corruption in the processes most atimes.

Thanks!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Fynestboi: 2:02pm On Nov 29, 2013
@debaters we have more questions pose to you already and we demand response to them.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

And how does increase in tuition fees change this fact?

with the increase in tuition fees more funds will be available for development in terms of infrastructure and facilities which will increase our universities rating
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 2:05pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

The students are not paying to the lecturers, what exactly makes them increase their efforts

For example, there was a drastic increase in the Acceptance fee of OAU some semesters ago, I think about N15,000 increase (more than 100%) if I can still remember, but I didn't see any increase in effort of any of the lecturers. They still had the same 'Idon'twanttotalkaboutit' attitude they always have!
I think the problem in this situation is the attitude of individual lecturers.There are bad eggs in every bunch.However, a serious lecturer who knows his onions would take the opportunity of an increase to improve because he is also developing himself indirectly.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua: To both speakers;

The academic standard of private institutions cannot be compared to that of federal universities inspite of the increased tuition fees (judging by the university ranking for 2013). How do you rationalize this with your submissions that increased tuition fees would guarantee better universities?

the state universities are only using the funds for state development not for the universities but the fg won't do that the funds will be strickly meant for universities
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

Fine, I agree with the academic environment part, how about the academic standard?
I am not a student there, according to my friends there, there is an improvement in the educational standard. There is also an increase in the number of applicants seeking for admission into LASU in my locality which says a lot about the educational standard.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Davo93(m): 2:13pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

To buttress this question, you have to understand that an increase in the tuition fees in our public schools does not equate to an improved welfare for the lecturers. So you can't conclude that an increase in fees brings the required development.

I also want the speaker to understand that there could be infrastructural development while the quality of knowledge impacted on students decline.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Plc Scada Dcs Training Nigeria / After JAMB CBT Examination, Expert Describes Ishaq Oloyede As A Bulldozer / Tell us the challenges you're facing as a student and let's help you out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.