Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,530 members, 7,958,625 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:58 PM

What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? (8564 Views)

Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? / Scan That Car Before Buying And Diagnose Ur Car B4 The Mechanic Take U 4 A Fool / Must A Nigerian Guy Have A Car Before A Lady Agrees To Go Out With Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2013
Speed
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 22, 2013
Gps, very high ground clearance and a responsive engine.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
Road monster.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by leuelliot(m): 8:05pm On Nov 22, 2013
As long as it has 8 cylinders, 400BHP+ 350lb torque and handles like a wall gecko i'm good! cool It also has to have a brutal exhaust note like the G63 AMG

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by ziccoit: 8:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
game_changer: I drive an EOD 2003 i think, V6; though it consumes more fuel but the driving pleasure is really good, i think i'll be sticking to 6 cylinder cars

You think the car you drive everyday is EOD 2003? What else do you think about the car please? I wanna know. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Monarchmindset(m): 8:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
My brother wants to buy a Chrysler 300 next year. How good is this car lemme know
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by CuteTj(m): 8:28pm On Nov 22, 2013
GPS (this is a must. I can't do without this device. Makes driving to unknown places easier), low fuel consumption, sedan and not suv
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by deniyor: 8:56pm On Nov 22, 2013
V6 engine with 250hp
Leather seats with cool/heated seats
Sunroof - love the panoramic view. Would take a regular sunroof tho.
Remote starters and fog lights a must
Alloy wheels
Big screen touchscreen player looks cool too. Can't downgrade to a small screen cd player anymore.
Gas efficiency helps but not so important

Those are what I look for before buying a car. Bought one recently, and due to limited finances had to sacrifice the V6 and the panoramic sunroof.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by mafioso47(m): 9:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
Speed + Balance (to dust all those container carrying trucks on the express ) , Firm Grip at the same time Cool manoeuvring..
Sport Trim, Big alloy rims, Leather seats, Beats by dre audio system, 4 doors, and a big V6 engine!
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by damysil: 9:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ikenna please I realy want to meet you please send me you moblie number you can text me on 07038200555. Please
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by edimabassey(m): 10:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
blah blah blah so in english and in sumary u av a car....
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Nov 22, 2013
Wait a minute, is it only me who thinks, "could this guy simply have imagined that the Yaris was indeed attempting to overtake him by all means?"
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by FreeWill01: 12:30am On Nov 23, 2013
Apart from the obvious....there has to be Touch screen navigation, reverse camera, and DVD
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by egbetokuns(m): 6:48am On Nov 23, 2013
Ikenna351: Sometime last month, on a Sunday actually, I drove to NEXT in my SV D9 (406 V6 Stick). I got what i went there for and on the way out, I stopped at traffic light at the junction close to NEXT gate (those in Abuja would know the one). While i was waiting for the traffic to pass us into the expressway, I saw a new Toyota Yaris behind me via my interior rearview mirror, waiting for the traffic light to give us go ahead into the expressway as well. The green light eventually came. Fortunately, I was in a mood for some fun. So i pushed the throttle pedal down hard, while i shift the stick in seconds. Well you know what will be the rest. Ikenna. U make a point about your car but u should undtsd as well that ur car u talkin abt ar also dangerous to be at top at bend or corner.most nigerian bot car with the way they market it for them.if ure real about ur post u should at least mention one of the german car.the german car ar car that really good and has the stability on any speed. So u too shud becareful sometime about how speed when drive. U can neva compare benz bmw audi with that ur car.those car I mention might be old model or new model but they hav good stability. Chop up bros

Unfortunately, I didn't know the way and manner my SV D9 stick left the Toyota yaris behind when the traffic light passed us, got the driver in the Yaris upset. Probably, to prove a point to the passenger seating in the car, which i saw in my mirror then, the yaris man gave me a chase or whatever you may call it. Because while i was catching my fun behind the wheel with the matching stick, i saw a Black Toyota Yaris behind me, seriously struggling to get close and overtake. Looking again on the mirror proved that it was the same Yaris I left behind and have forgotten all about it. Hmm! "Wahala dey o!", i muttered while i shaked my head.

Now, the option left for me to help the yaris was to slow down to let him overtake him, to please him. Or, to leave him behind again. Well, i couldnt sacrificed the fun i was having to please some yaris guy. So I chose the 2nd option. What did i do then? I shifted the stick down to the 4th gear and push the throttle very hard. By the time i shifted it up to the 5th gear again, i checked the rearview mirror and i saw something far far away that look like stationary object. But the black colour of the object made me realise it was the same Yaris. I shaked my head again, and continued with my fun.

I got to the bridge that leads to Garki II (Aminu Kano Crescent), so I slowed down to divert, climbed down and enter the expressway that lead to Area 1 roundabout. Those that know that road would understand how sharp the bend is, which one must slow down. But all of sudden, while in the bend, I saw that same Yaris again, forging towards behind on high speed. I became scared, thinking it would lose control,spin and crashed or hit my car. This guy in this car continued on the same speed and entered the bend just to overtake a "Peugeot 406" he though disgraced him. To be very honest, I thought this car would turn over when he speed past me in that bend. It was a miracle that he survived it.

I started wondering, "What could make one be so foolish behind the wheel to drive in that manner?" So of all the car he has seen, he chose to prove to a Peugeot 406 how powerful his brand new Toyota Yaris is? Seriously? Of course, i gave him the benefit of the doubt that he didnt see the two "V6" badges stamped on the 2 front fenders of my Lion. But did he actually think that even his "new" Yaris can stand a N/A I4 Peugeot 406 on the highway, if they were to race?

Now my question is, what do Nigerians actually look for in a car when they are hunting for one to buy? Ask an average Nigerian, he would tell you " Car na Car". So for that, V6 or performance cars should be avoided, since even a car with 50 hp will behave the same way a 150 hp car would do. You want a green car, yet you expect it to give you behind the wheels what those cars you call "gas guzzlers" give those that drive them?

I may sound mean here, but if that Yaris had lost control in that bend and somersaulted, I wouldnt have stopped to even peep how it ended up. We all gonna leave this World. But how you decide to leave (God's making or your own making) its upto to you. What he did was pure suicidal, luckily, he survived it.

Now lets check out the two cars powertrain involved.

1. Toyota Yaris, 2005 - till present.
Because I do not know the exact engine in the car, a little study i carried out showed that the Yaris of that generation has 3 engines:

*1kR-FE: 1.0 L, 71 hp, 53 kilowatts.
*2NZ-FE/2SZ-FE: 1.3 L, 84 hp, 63 KW.
*1NZ-FE: 109 hp, 81 kW.

2. Peugeot 406 V6, 2000 model.

*ES9J4S: 3.0 L, 210 hp, 152 KW.

Now the man wants to prove a point with the above figures to who?

When one is looking for a car to buy, he/she needs to ask himself what he needs the car for; the purpose the car is coming in to serve. A city car is designed for that purpose and nothing more. Even when you drive it on highway, you should use or drive it as designed for. If you are after a highway or speed vehicle or fun car, then find and get one designed for it. For example, most V6 cars or turbocharged I4s are installed special ssuspensions to handle the speed they are designed for and make the handling better on high speed. Most V6 or performance cars are fiited Electronic Stability program (ESP) and other similar speed related programs. For example, my former Peugeot 605 V6 was fitted electronic dampers on the 4 wheels, such that once the speed exceed 80 km/h or so, the dampers would suddenly drop the car closer to ground and the handling will become something else. But as soon as the speed start reduceing, the dampers would raise the car up again. Even the turbocharged 605 didnt get that suspension, except the V6. Do I miss that car? Yes, everyday!

If you want to be doing some '007 stuffs behind the wheel, look for a car that is designed to safely give you that. But if you are so much after mpg, then swallow it and look the other way when some beast speed past you as if you were stationary. Because, you cant eat your Cake and have it. You gain some, you lose some. You gain mpg, you lose performance.

Ikenna.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 23, 2013
sauer: Wait a minute, is it only me who thinks, "could this guy simply have imagined that the Yaris was indeed attempting to overtake him by all means?"
NO. Ikenna is a car geek. He knows the working/performance of cars while the Yaris guy will be like: ''how can this 'old' car over speed me? Let me show this driver how far my yaris can undo his''. Without the basic knowledge of car performance, he will naturally throttle down hoping to dust an older model car.

I love speed particularly on highways. I use to chase cars especially when one overtook me in the time past but not until I became knowledgeable on car performance, I don't dare such suicide mission anymore. I know cars I can easily give a run for their speed anyday anytimegrin

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by aieromon(m): 8:14am On Nov 23, 2013
V6 engine
Leather seats
Alloy wheels
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Gee2728(m): 8:17am On Nov 23, 2013
SeaGold:
NO. Ikenna is a car geek. He knows the working/performance of cars while the Yaris guy will be like: ''how can this 'old' car over speed me? Let me show this driver how far my yaris can undo his''. Without the basic knowledge of car performance, he will naturally throttle down hoping to dust an older model car.

I love speed particularly on highways. I use to chase cars especially when one overtook me in the time past but not until I became knowledgeable on car performance, I don't dare such suicide mission anymore. I know cars I can easily give a run for their speed anyday anytimegrin

Wise man...
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by ShenTeh(m): 8:54am On Nov 23, 2013
sultaan:

Well all LE Camry has what he was looking for the only difference he didn't state was leather on XLE
More zhan zhat my brather. Par more zhan zhat.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by embee430(m): 9:57am On Nov 23, 2013
My friend died trying to negotiate that same bend at area 1 with a Peugeot 406.. Dont try it next time OP. Drive carefully
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by BTT(m): 10:45am On Nov 23, 2013
Whatever it is that is in that Yaris that keeps deceiving its drivers to think they are driving some German V6 4.5ltr 320hp sports trim Sedan... Ok o. I remembered one -amongst others- was killing the speed with my Pug 207 somewhere on those Ekiti state expways. I was doing maybe 140km/hr and then yuuuun a Yaris (with 2 female passengers seated at the rear while the driver manned the wheels) just overtook me. I was like 'waoh!'... So I downshifted and flogged the engine on 4. By the time I graded back to 5... Rubbish!

Now to your question:
1. A/c
2. Tap windows
3. Rpm 100kmh in <10secs
4. Ready local mechanic
5. Pricing
6. Uncommon on Nigerian roads.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Ikenna351(m): 11:23am On Nov 23, 2013
embee430: My friend died trying to negotiate that same bend at area 1 with a Peugeot 406.. Dont try it next time OP. Drive carefully

Did Op said he was the one that negotiated the bend on high-speed with his Peugeot 406? And did Op mention any bend at Area 1 in the post?

Ikenna
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by kingsleyMbang(m): 11:41am On Nov 23, 2013
Fuel Economy, Afforded maintenance and High performance/reliability n durability. grin cheesy :O
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Denc: 11:48am On Nov 23, 2013
Hello Ikenna

Thanks for starting this...to contribute, I'll lift excerpts off an article I wrote earlier...hope it makes worthwhile reading
By the way, I am now in Abuja...will be good to hook-up...cheers man

..................................................................................................................................................................................................
“Which car should I buy? The best brand is …”
Few weeks ago, I organised a poll which pitched two global automobile brands against each other. Of course, these brands rank among the most common vehicles on Nigerian roads today…I am talking about the Japanese giants – Honda and Toyota. The former parades household names such as Accord, Civic, City, Pilot, CR-V and CrossTour whilst Toyota boasts of the best-selling passenger car in North America1 – Camry - as well as Corrolla, Yaris, Highlander, RAV4 and Venza.
Fortunately or sadly (depending on which you prefer), Toyota won by polling twice as much votes as Honda. So simply put, Toyota is the brand to go for?

Well, not so fast …

Luckily, all respondents to the poll were asked to provide reasons for their choice. Their responses which ranged from fuel economy, ease of maintenance to beauty and performance will drive the rest of this discussion. Lets go through them -

· Fuel economy – there is the general notion that the Toyota Corolla is fuel efficient. Let’s examine this in detail. The Corolla is classified as compact/sub-compact car; this is based on its size. Thus, it only requires a relatively small engine with most models having a 1.8litre 4-cylinder engine at the maximum. Now, that engine capacity already tells us that the vehicle will not be as thirsty as a Camry which comes with engines of 2litre capacity and above. Further evidence suggests that the Corolla engine designers did seem to focus on fuel economy; so your popular observation is not exactly wrong

· Ease of maintenance/tolerance – how did a certain car get the nickname “End of Discussion” OR “EoD”? This car is the Honda Accord of model years 2003 to 2005. However, this Accord is as popular as it is notorious for two common faults
(i) auto-transmission failure: many owners soon realize they have to repair or overhaul their gearbox with costs running into hundreds of thousands of naira. Some so-called “mechanics” set-up this failure by using non-recommended automatic transmission fluid (ATF) on these cars
(ii) “Honda surprise”: an Accord cruises past you only to stop some kilometers ahead whilst negotiating a bend. You slow down wondering what happened…gently you drive past looking sideways and there it is. One of the front tires has crumbled under the fender after the tie-rods and associated mechanism came off without warning
Toyota enthusiasts readily point out these flaws as demerits of the Honda brand. Certainly, some cars are more tolerant than others. So whilst you could get away with dumping say “ABRO” ATF in certain brands of cars, Honda’s will not allow it. They have specific fluids and any deviation from their recommendations is tempting trouble

· Performance – this includes engine power, acceleration and general reliability. According to www.edmunds.com; “the … Accord … can out accelerate about any other family car”2. This is one of the attractive features of the 6-cylinder variant. For those who intend to use their cars for long inter-state adventures like me, performance is a key consideration. It is noteworthy that the bigger engines give you more acceleration and fuel economy on a free expressway (I repeat – free expressway). So whilst you will burn more fuel in traffic using a V6 or V8 for daily commute between Victoria Island and Surulere, it will be a torture of both man and vehicle if one attempts to drive a Kia Rio from Lagos to Onitsha (a journey of over 400km and atleast 6 hours drive-time!)

· Beauty – most of us identify cars by nicknames rather than the brand and model year. One of such aliases is “Big for Nothing” OR “Big Daddy” – a reference to Toyota Camry of model year 2002 to 2006. Whilst the car remains a regular feature of our roads, it earned this name because of the bare, simplistic design and seemly large size. On the other hand, it’s arch-rival from the Honda stable; the Accord; has an interior described as “Behind”, the driver’s position exudes a cockpit atmosphere and the car’s exterior is quite flashy. Little wonder, STB McCann in their advert for Honda Place years ago captured the car in three words - “End of Discussion”

Based on the above responses, it is obvious each brand has strengths and weaknesses; none is perfect. So we back to the initial question “Which car should I buy? Arguing that a particular brand is “the best” is a futile exercise and a waste of time. It’s like saying KPMG is better than PwC; that Redeemed Christian Church of God is holier than Christ Embassy or that Igbo is the best Nigerian tribe. So how do you decide on your choice car? Firstly, ask yourself what you want to use the car for … daily commute, long distance travel, business purposes, family or individual pleasure etc. Next, list your desired attributes in an automobile and rank these qualities in your order of importance. Some people value fuel economy highly, others will rank power output first and yet others are concerned about maintenance costs. With these considerations in mind, it is easy to see why buying a vehicle because my friend uses it and “says it's good” is a poor decision – I call it the “bandwagon” effect

Lest we forget, your budget is a key factor in determining the vehicle you should buy – not just the initial purchase amount but also the estimated costs of maintenance. It makes little sense investing one’s life savings in a Range Rover Sport if we consider that this prestige car requires some money to keep it running optimally. You are actually worse-off if you ever allow a cheap roadside mechanic fiddle with this machine. Thankfully, after carefully going through the thought process in the preceding paragraph, you should have a short-list of specific cars from which you can make a final selection. In all, buy a car that YOU will enjoy riding in…that’s the most important thing!!

1 http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/06/top-10-best-selling-cars-may-2012.html
2 http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2006/?sub=sedan

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by 2busy: 12:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ikenna351:

Did Op said he was the one that negotiated the bend on high-speed with his Peugeot 406? And did Op mention any bend at Area 1 in the post?

Ikenna

I love this question, guess he didnt read all through your post.

Given the situation in our dear country: fuel economy, safety, ability to withstand shock, and maintainability are what i will look out for in a car.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Gee2728(m): 12:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
@ denc, this your " buyers manual" rly make plenty of sense ooh.

Bought a 2K4 E.O.D ex but was so disappointed at its performance and I also had issues with the gear box. Ended up trading it in for a 2k C230k ' a kick ass of a car' well built and never shy of clocking 220km/h on the high way.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by embee430(m): 2:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
2busy:

I love this question, guess he didnt read all through your post.

Given the situation in our dear country: fuel economy, safety, ability to withstand shock, and maintainability are what i will look out for in a car.

Very good question. I admit I didn't understand. while reading, the thought of a lost friend took over me when you said "sharp bend leading to area 1."

getting a car soon. helpful thread.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by tonychristopher: 7:30pm On Nov 23, 2013
prefer backwheel drive,manual with injection system possibly 6 cylinders and German not comfortable with japos.....I love manual cars and sedan not suv....back wheel is better....maybe Benz class dreaming of it .....
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by NFSBob(m): 11:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
azat: For many Nigerians (If not most) the most important thing is a 'Clean Car' and I4 engine. Most times, once the car is 'clean' nothing else matters, not even something as basic as the Engine Size.

I had a friend who wanted to buy Camry 2000 xle, but was finding it hard to find cos of scarcity. After explaining to him that XLE preorder could be harder to find and obviously more expensive, I asked him if the LE trim will not be enough for him, he said no. Then I specifically asked him what features/options he really wanted from the XLE trim he was requesting, he said ''factory fiitted AC, factory fitted CD and Alloy Wheels''!
Omg. Dats so funny. He didnt even know that the xle is the full option and that those features are present in the base model le
I was so weak.
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by odehaj: 10:41am On Dec 01, 2013
This
Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by HRHGambino(m): 9:06am On Dec 08, 2013
Very interesting thread. For me I am biased to go with maintenance costs and I would tell you why. If you live in Lagos, you would agree that traffic alone would prevent many car owners from fully optimising the performance-related benefits of their vehicles. Whether you own a 1.5l l4 or 3.0l v6, truth is both car owners would likely get to their destinations at the same time courtesy of traffic. So why pay more when in reality you are actually going to utilise less?

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Want In A Car Before Purchase? by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 24, 2013
Ikenna351:

Ikenna

Hi Ikenna forgive me for derailing the thread alittle...I have done some reading as regards OBD II devices and I found out the following

1. Any obd II device you pick should be updateable
2. Should scan the models of car you intend it to scan
3. Be able to read stored log from the cars onboard computer.

Sir the only obd II if found with the above functionality is the Innova brands that is the 31** series and from what I read they can only scan Ford and some other american cars. Sir what brand do you recommend for European/Japanes model vehicles. Once again sorry for derailing the thread

(1) (2) (Reply)

2008 Audi A8 D3 6.0 W12 Or 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 HEMI Quad Cab? / The 2018 Edition Of Bimmerfest Held In Grand Style (see Photos) / Nigerian Auto Insurers: Do They Ever Pay Up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.